Sign in to follow this  
chisel

So what's the deal with the hatchet handles?

start collecting hatchets right away.  They break every 3rd use.  Have been away from Dayz vanilla for some time.  I come back, think, cool let's try out the new building system... which btw is very cool!

However the most annoying thing EVER...  the axe handles break WAAAAAAAAY too easily.  Hatchets last decades guys, this game for me, since I started building has turned into hatchet Z.  Have gone through easily ten hatchets in the last few days.  It's idiotic.  I have had the same hatchet in real life for 20 years and as of yet, I've NEVER broken the handle chopping wood.  Not sure whose idea it was to have the handles break on your tools every 3rd use but it's idiotic.  I spend most of my day in game searching for hatchets.

Has any of the devs actually ever owned a hatchet, sledgehammer, pick??  If so, how often do you have to replace your handles?  Guess how many times I have...  NEVER.  

Just today, right before restart, chop some wood, handle breaks.  Server restarts, I get a fresh hatchet from my tent (getting low, down to 3 now!), first time chopping, break the handle...  Get another, chop about 5 logs, break the handle.  It's just stupid.  Hatchet collector simulator FTW!

This can't be just happening to me???  Saw a thread in Git, was closed with no real explanation.

You can use a hatchet to kill zeds, create boards from logs, chop up cars until they explode, nearly anything other than what they were engineered and designed to do and they never break.  Use a hatchet for what it was actually made to do, bang, it breaks.  It's as if you are penalized for actually using a hatchet to chop wood.  I just can't fathom the logic behind this...

****Yeah I don't mean to come off as a big jerk, I'm just frustrated here.  I just went back in game and broke 3 more handles in just a few minutes.  Very frustrating.  I would love to have someone else go in game and just chop wood as a test.  Just to see how they do.  Am I just having the worst luck ever?  Possibly but I doubt it.

Edited by chisel

Maybe the damage detection is not designed on the same scale as equivalent to its intended use at this point.

• Like 1

I trust that you have at least submitted a bug report?

Ever think they made them break easily for now to TEST what happens when they break and to make sure they break properly?

• Like 1

Are you talking about the mod?

Not sure why he singled out the hatchet handle. I always assumed that it was intended that your axe got dull pretty fast. Steak and Potatoes makes a good point about being able to quickly test the lifecycle of your tools, and balancing their life will be done in later iterations.

I believe he's talking about the SA.

I'm talking about the mod.  Also, I'm singling out the handle because that is what breaks.  It doesn't get dull, the HANDLE breaks.

Why are you posting this in the SA forum then?

This is what you are actually looking for.

Edited by tux

I'm talking about the mod.  Also, I'm singling out the handle because that is what breaks.  It doesn't get dull, the HANDLE breaks.

You aren't even talking about the mod then... you are talking about "A" mod of the mod. You don't even want the link tux gave you you want here:

http://epochmod.com/forum/index.php?/forum/1-arma-2-dayz-mod-epoch/

• Like 1

Wrong mod, wrong forum section,,,wrong forum.

Know your handles !

If your talking about the vanilla mod we are trying to create game play elements to make sure nothing lasts 100% of the time unfortunately sometimes we just cant mimic real life with current items we have to hand. Maybe at a later date we can get our hands on some new models to make it a little more realistic.

If your axe is breaking that much post an issue on github about it might just be a chance issue.

If your talking about the vanilla mod we are trying to create game play elements to make sure nothing lasts 100% of the time unfortunately sometimes we just cant mimic real life with current items we have to hand. Maybe at a later date we can get our hands on some new models to make it a little more realistic.

If your axe is breaking that much post an issue on github about it might just be a chance issue.

Yep, this is in OA Dayz mod - vanilla.  Started mining stone today, pickaxe handle broke after about 10 stone...  Apologies if I posted in the wrong section, thought I was in the dayz mod General questions section.  Dayz mod = OA Dayz?  no?