I'm unable to find a compass since .57. I have everything else I can dream of... MP5 with RV1, CR527 with Hunting scope and even a CAN Opener! But I cannot find a compass!

Is it just me?

Compasses are spawning, but they seem to be pretty rare.

• Like 1

Just you.  ^_^

I've seen compass at deer stands, in sheds, in civilian houses and other spots too. But, that being said, can only find the brass compass for now, and haven't seen 1 plastic compass in 0.57...

• Like 5

I will keep looking thanks! I'm getting tired of running around in circles....

Found several, mostly in deer stands. Only brass. Also, seems to be working nicely in the quickbar (it moves direction as you do so you dont really need to pull it out to use it)

• Like 3

Compasses can be found with some measure of frequency in sheds of all kinds. 

In sheds. Mostly beat to crap.

The compass moving in your quicktool bar, is that new or did I just never notice it before?

KBK

In sheds. Mostly beat to crap.

The compass moving in your quicktool bar, is that new or did I just never notice it before?

KBK

Brand spanking new and when I saw it in Experimental, I flipped out. It's the little things that really have the biggest impact, you know?  :D

Brand spanking new and when I saw it in Experimental, I flipped out. It's the little things that really have the biggest impact, you know? :D

yes, its cool, but should it be that way? Or should you have to pull it out like in real life?

yes, its cool, but should it be that way? Or should you have to pull it out like in real life?

I like that I don't have to and I don't see any gameplay benefit to forcing me to pull the compass out of my pack. This is not a simulator after all. 

If they took it away, I wouldn't rage about it. I just think it's a nice touch.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

I like that I don't have to and I don't see any gameplay benefit to forcing me to pull the compass out of my pack. This is not a simulator after all. 

If they took it away, I wouldn't rage about it. I just think it's a nice touch.

It's supposed to be a simulator :[  That was the original goal any ways, though I feel they are slowly moving away from that.

That actually makes me kinda sad if it just shows on the hotbar now.  I never use the compass because I don't have much use for it, but I feel like they could have just done it another way.  Like being able to bring it up in one hand, while keeping your gun out, and just having it more responsive to bring out/put away.

Maybe they can implement a wristband style that allows you to see without bringing it out of your inventory. Then make the old ones back the way they used to be.

Yeah they're hard to find! Thanks for the deer-hut tip.
Me and my brother always both had compasses on us in .55. He's learning the map, and I'm always helping him with that.
We only managed to find a single one, in bad condition, last time we played. And it was a little before we got to Northwest, and needed to log off anyway for work. Ugh.

It's supposed to be a simulator :[  That was the original goal any ways, though I feel they are slowly moving away from that.

That actually makes me kinda sad if it just shows on the hotbar now.  I never use the compass because I don't have much use for it, but I feel like they could have just done it another way.  Like being able to bring it up in one hand, while keeping your gun out, and just having it more responsive to bring out/put away.

Uh. The game does try to be authentic, and yes its roots are in a simulator engine, but I'm pretty sure this game was never supposed to do more than emulate the zombie apocalypse. There is a difference between simulate and emulate. 

At no point have I ever felt like this game was overly realistic. There are way too many examples to list.

• Like 1

Ive thrown them away , had a few so far, they are out there

How dare you.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Uh. The game does try to be authentic, and yes its roots are in a simulator engine, but I'm pretty sure this game was never supposed to do more than emulate the zombie apocalypse. There is a difference between simulate and emulate. 

At no point have I ever felt like this game was overly realistic. There are way too many examples to list.

Realism is not the same as simulation.  Rocket was pretty set on making dayz a simulator, and arma was built around simulation.  Both have diverged a lot though.  ArmA 3 has become a lot less of a sim than arma 2 was and the SA is obviously branching that way as well.

I mean the compass is a perfect example of this.  Simulation is having to put the compass in your hands and look at it.  Allowing you to simply see direction from it on your hotbar is a very gamey feature in comparison.  They also wanted no UI originally, and now they're doing mock ups.  Similarly, ammo counts were never supposed to be a thing but there isn't any talk of removing them at this point.  The list goes on, but they're heading in the game rather than sim direction for sure.

Yes DayZ was supposed to be more simulation than game originally.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

I dunno though. IRL I can tell my way well enough for basic DF route finding. In DayZ my character could be looking anywhere and I can't tell. Hell even the sun doesn't (Didn't last time I checked) work correctly. I like the little compass in the bottom. It is only on screen when you have your mini too bar up. If you let it fade away you can pretend it isn't there. Or close the cover.

KBK

I have found compasses pretty frequently, though I have found few in Pristine condition. Also, has anyone been having issues with the reliability of compasses? I had a pristine one the other day and after heading due west for a bit my bud and I realized that we had in fact been heading south. I passed it to him because we chalked it up to navigational error, but we had the same luck in his hands.

I dunno though. IRL I can tell my way well enough for basic DF route finding. In DayZ my character could be looking anywhere and I can't tell. Hell even the sun doesn't (Didn't last time I checked) work correctly. I like the little compass in the bottom. It is only on screen when you have your mini too bar up. If you let it fade away you can pretend it isn't there. Or close the cover.

KBK

I navigate chernarus without a compass all the time.  The sun works, and you can develop a general sense of direction easily once you become familiar with the map.

You could already check the direction on the compass in the inventory screen before, without pulling it out.  I think if they're going to make things "convenient" (dumbed down/streamlined/"easy"/whatever you wanna call it) they should at least restrict it to the inventory screen.  That way there's still some sort of consequence for doing it, in reducing your mobility/grabbing your focus etc.

Edited by Bororm

I used the compass on the off occassion, usually when making long hikes and I needed to orientate to an exact position on the map.

I thought about this for a bit. I decided it would be like having the compass on a lanyard around your neck or attached via chain to your vest/backpack. The brass compass looks kind of like a pocket watch, which usually came with a chain. 

I guess it's not too difficult maintaining a direction if you only pull out your compass every once in a while, but I do love how it changes in your hotbar. Especially when I quickly enter a house to loot while on my way to a far destination, I don't have to remember which direction I was heading.

Saves some time, and I don't think it really breaks anything enough to revert back to the old method.

• Like 1

Meh. Call it easy mode if you like I just find it more useful. Because there is a lack of tactile feedback from turning I like the ability to know when I've turned a certain amount, like I would IRL. 

If you don't like it, don't use it. You don't NEED to pick one up, or put it in your toolbar.....

KBK

i loved the compass before it was broken, without it i was running circles and thought many times...wtf, here i was 5 minutes ago.

as it was broken, i learned to use the sun and the stars, learned the map and now, i "navigate" without an compass realy close to far away points i want to visite.

for me (compass) its like driving with a navigation system in your car, after you get to your destination you can´t remember which route you droved, because you don´t need it.

without that "tool" you will remember, ahh, there at this shop i have to turn right and there at the little stone i have to turn left.

so, i don´t need an compass anymore and there is one slot more for other things.

with timeacceleration now, its a bit harder to try it out, cause sun and stars moving a bit to fast to navigate exactly

• Like 1