Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

[Door] Shotgun Booby Trap

Something like below or just plain old eye hooks, duct tape, string, tie to door handle, bam!

2ghYOjI.png

With advanced barricading coming into play which will probably have obviously barricaded houses with wood slats on the windows, folks are going to need a line of home defense.

Variant, taped to a tele:

3CSw3qB.jpg

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 5

Ehh...I mean it's a cool idea, but honestly unnecessary in my opinion. Ultimately it's kind of inefficient.

Let's say you use it while looting to guard your back, as I have seen suggested before on these forums. You're going to carry in an extra full-sized gun and take the time to rig it up to discharge when the door opens? So you're wasting space for valuable loot by bringing it with you and in most buildings you could actually loot the entire thing in the time it takes you to set the trap up.

Or the other use of it, to guard your base. This would make a bit more sense but still kind of pointless in my opinion. Of course you could rig a gun up to the door, but you're kind of wasting a gun that you or a friend could be using (unless you have a massive stash anyways), and there are other traps that would be both more viable and more versatile. Instead of a shotgun, why not put a tripwire with a grenade, or a bear trap for that matter?

TL;DR interesting concept but pointless in my opinion.

Ehh...I mean it's a cool idea, but honestly unnecessary in my opinion. Ultimately it's kind of inefficient.

Let's say you use it while looting to guard your back, as I have seen suggested before on these forums. You're going to carry in an extra full-sized gun and take the time to rig it up to discharge when the door opens? So you're wasting space for valuable loot by bringing it with you and in most buildings you could actually loot the entire thing in the time it takes you to set the trap up.

Or the other use of it, to guard your base. This would make a bit more sense but still kind of pointless in my opinion. Of course you could rig a gun up to the door, but you're kind of wasting a gun that you or a friend could be using (unless you have a massive stash anyways), and there are other traps that would be both more viable and more versatile. Instead of a shotgun, why not put a tripwire with a grenade, or a bear trap for that matter?

The grenade "im assuming" in the future, will have the ability to damage world containers. Maybe im wrong. I could see this for base defense mainly, because it adds another "hey, what am I going to expect in this base if im looting it. Bear traps? Mines? Always look at the floor. This adds another factor to make players move more cautiously and think to survive, which, im totally ok with. Im liking this idea.

Did you even bother reading my words? I said this was for home defense in light of advanced barricading.

Open a door, hey look a bear trap <disarm>. Grenade would be a waste and it  could potentially destroy everything in the house.

Guns aren't rare and I never use the shotgun. Find a shotgun, put it to use. Not sure how finding a shotgun means you have a massive stash.

Did you even bother reading my words? I said this was for home defense in light of advanced barricading.

Open a door, hey look a bear trap <disarm>. Grenade would be a waste and it could potentially destroy everything in the house.

Guns aren't rare and I never use the shotgun. Find a shotgun, put it to use. Not sure how finding a shotgun means you have a massive stash.

Did you read my post? I did address your idea for base defense. I included the bit about self-defense while looting because I have seen this exact concept suggested on these forums before, usually mentioning it's use to watch ones back while looting (which you would understand if you read my post).

Yes, you could disarm a bear trap. Buy you could disarm the shotgun trap you have described here just as easily. Invalid argument. Unless of course you're suggesting a trap that completely blocks access and cannot be disarmed from the outside, in which case I'm 100% against this idea. Your point about the grenade does make sense though, maybe just don't put anything near the door so you don't risk it blowing up.

Not sure where you got the idea of having a shotgun meaning you have a massive stash. I said that it would make more sense to have a person use the shotgun than rigging it up as a trap, but of course if you and your friends already have guns then the shotgun would be extra. But honestly shotguns are amazing. If you're used to using the double barrel you can make accurate shots at very long ranges. One time I took out a zombie at ~250 meters...overall shotguns are underrated and underused by late-game players.

Edited by OnionOfShame

Did you read my post? I did address your idea for base defense. I included the bit about self-defense while looting because I have seen this exact concept suggested on these forums before, usually mentioning it's use to watch ones back while looting (which you would understand if you read my post).

Yes, you could disarm a bear trap. Buy you could disarm the shotgun trap you have described here just as easily. Invalid argument. Unless of course you're suggesting a trap that completely blocks access and cannot be disarmed from the outside, in which case I'm 100% against this idea. Your point about the grenade does make sense though, maybe just don't put anything near the door so you don't risk it blowing up.

Not sure where you got the idea of having a shotgun meaning you have a massive stash. I said that it would make more sense to have a person use the shotgun than rigging it up as a trap, but of course if you and your friends already have guns then the shotgun would be extra. But honestly shotguns are amazing. If you're used to using the double barrel you can make accurate shots at very long ranges. One time I took out a zombie at ~250 meters...overall shotguns are underrated and underused by late-game players.

Of course I read you post which is why I asked if you read my post!!! Whats wrong with you? I never said anything about using this for looting, so all that long windedness you spewed about using it for looting shouldn't even have been written. I don't care what you think about this idea for the sake of looting because thats not the intent!!! Do you understand that or do I need to say it in easier to understand words? THIS IDEA IS FOR HOME DEFENSE.

You open the door and your dead, no disarming FFS. Open a door and look, a bear trap, easy to disarm. Open a door, bam, I'm dead. Get it? 

"Not sure where you got the idea of having a shotgun meaning you have a massive stash."

Uh, because you said that?

Of course you could rig a gun up to the door, but you're kind of wasting a gun that you or a friend could be using (unless you have a massive stash anyways)

Why even bother hating on idea's...for that matter why am I even replying to you? Not like you're going to read the words I've written.

Might want to give this a shot:

YCYtRW7.jpg

Of course I read you post which is why I asked if you read my post!!! Whats wrong with you? I never said anything about using this for looting, so all that long windedness you spewed about using it for looting shouldn't even have been written. I don't care what you think about this idea for the sake of looting because thats not the intent!!! Do you understand that or do I need to say it in easier to understand words? THIS IDEA IS FOR HOME DEFENSE.

You open the door and your dead, no disarming FFS. Open a door and look, a bear trap, easy to disarm. Open a door, bam, I'm dead. Get it?

"Not sure where you got the idea of having a shotgun meaning you have a massive stash."

Uh, because you said that?

Why even bother hating on idea's...for that matter why am I even replying to you? Not like you're going to read the words I've written.

Might want to give this a shot:

YCYtRW7.jpg

I'm completely aware that you never suggested this for looting. My original reply to your post states clearly in the third sentence that this is the purpose I have seen it suggested for elsewhere on the forum (actual quote: "Let's say you use it while looting to guard your back, as I have seen suggested before on these forums."). I honestly don't understand why you can't comprehend the concept that I adressed something not directly stated in your original post.

Why on earth would they add a trap like that to DayZ? The point of DayZ has always been that if you're careful and skillful you can come out on top and basically do whatever you want. If they added a trap that cannot be avoided/bypassed/disarmed in any way then it would completely go against one of the core components of DayZ's gameplay. You have a compleyely impenetrable fortress which does not belong in a game like this.

I didn't say anything indicating that having a shotgun gives you a massive stash. I clearly said that a player wielding a shotgun is more efficient than rigging it up as a trap, so this is how it should be used. Again, sorry you can't grasp simple concepts like that.

I'm not "hating on idea's", in fact I wasn't even responding with hostility until you did. This is a suggestions board on a forum. Discussing the pros and cons of proposed ideas is the point of it. If you can't take criticism to your ideas then maybe you shouldn't be posting them somewhere designed as a place for ideas to recieve criticism. And the fact that you mentioned the "long-windedness" of my posts combined with the brevity of your own posts definitely indicates to me that you haven't actally read mine, instead only skimming them because you have too short an attention span.

Ah, suggesting I learn how to read. Looks like this thread is turning into a person throwing childish personal attacks around because they can't differentiate between criticism of one's self and one's ideas. I guess we can just agree to disagree on this topic then. Have a good day (if you even read this far).

Edited by OnionOfShame

I'm completely aware that you never suggested this for looting.

Then why bring it up?

Why on earth would they add a trap like that to DayZ? The point of DayZ has always been that if you're careful and skillful you can come out on top and basically do whatever you want. If they added a trap that cannot be avoided/bypassed/disarmed in any way then it would completely go against one of the core components of DayZ's gameplay. You have a compleyely impenetrable fortress which does not belong in a game like this.

Who said it couldn't be bypassed? If you opened a door from the side and didn't stand in front of it you wouldn't get shot. I thought it was obvious this would be for someone that stood in front of a door, guess not! If you took 5 seconds to think about countering you would have come up with that yourself...and here we are, no surprise!

I didn't say anything indicating that having a shotgun gives you a massive stash. I clearly said that a player wielding a shotgun is more efficient than rigging it up as a trap, so this is how it should be used. Again, sorry you can't grasp simple concepts like that.

But you're kind of wasting a gun you or a friend could be using unless you have a massive stash.

I'm not "hating on idea's", in fact I wasn't even responding with hostility until you did.

Inefficient, pointless, wasting. Your words, negative, hating. Inefficient, based on your creation of scenario which I never expressed (looting). Pointless, based on your using a gun someone else could use and unless I had a massive stash.

I don't use a shotgun, a lot of people don't use a shotgun...the point is HOME DEFENSE. Not pointless at all.

This is a suggestions board on a forum. Discussing the pros and cons of proposed ideas is the point of it. If you can't take criticism to your ideas then maybe you shouldn't be posting them somewhere designed as a place for ideas to recieve criticism. And the fact that you mentioned the "long-windedness" of my posts combined with the brevity of your own posts definitely indicates to me that you haven't actally read mine, instead only skimming them because you have too short an attention span.

Ah, suggesting I learn how to read. Looks like this thread is turning into a person throwing childish personal attacks around because they can't differentiate between criticism of one's self and one's ideas. I guess we can just agree to disagree on this topic then. Have a good day (if you even read this far).

Your suggesting something is pointless that I didn't even suggest. Which is completely illogical. I can take criticism, if you base it on my suggestion and not your outer space version of it. Shotgun, door, home defense, the end. Stick to that and not stashes, looting or whatever else you can think of. You're criticizing something I never suggested...don't you get it? Mediocrity is boring and you not even staying on topic and making up your own fantasies is annoying.

14.95 my friend. Consider it!

Edited by Weyland Yutani

This is far to advanced for my taste, I think they should just remove all the guns anyways and replace them with mirrors and hair grease.  If we could work out more ingame, we wouldn't even need duct taped shotguns anyways because we would all be busy looking at eachother, just my 3 cents.

With Love,

Guido Sarducci.

Not sure where you got the idea of having a shotgun meaning you have a massive stash.

Maybe it was when you said this

Or the other use of it, to guard your base. This would make a bit more sense but still kind of pointless in my opinion. Of course you could rig a gun up to the door, but you're kind of wasting a gun that you or a friend could be using (unless you have a massive stash anyways)

Maybe it was when you said this

I still have no idea why this cannot be understood. Where is it indicated that a massive stash is the result of having a single shotgun? So, if I said the following sentence:

You could scrap that car, but it would probably be more logical to keep it together so it can be driven (unless you already have a better car).

Does this sentence indicate that keeping the specific car means that you already have a better car? No, not in any way. It clearly means that using the car would generally be more constructive than scrapping it, but you might as well scrap it if the car that you already have functions more adequately. Is this so difficult to understand? This is the same exact sentence as the one that apparently caused this confusion , with the subject switched to cars rather than guns. Honestly if someone can't understand simple English language grammar and sentence structure then I don't know what to tell them here.

Damn. Never thought I'd be debating semantics for no real reason on the DayZ suggestion forum. Feel free to argue back if you really feel the need to, but I'm out of this thread for good after this reply is posted. Bye.

Edited by OnionOfShame

Ultimately it's kind of inefficient.

So? Just because it's inefficient that doesn't mean it shouldn't be included. If somebody wants to waste inventory space carrying the necessary materials to make a gun trap then why not let them? If somebody wants to sacrifice a weapon to make a trap why not let them? Your argument seems to depend on "well I wouldn't do it". We already have bear traps. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to set up a gun trap.

I'd actually like to be able to use any gun, including pistols and crossbows. You should be able to chamber a round. If it's a fully automatic weapon then you should also be able to attach a mag for the weapon to fire until it's empty. Obviously this would be a massive waste of ammunition, but options are always nice. Being able to chamber rounds also means we can use a stripped-down AK74 or a magazine-less M1911 as traps as well, making discarded weapons useful to some degree.

It's worth mentioning that this gun trap idea has been mentioned before in a couple of trap-related threads, but eh.

Edited by BeefBacon

Eh, some people can't grasp the moment something they said is proven wrong by something they said.

Good idear....... 1+*****

My Idear.....Door Traps with closed Doors.....with a lot of weapons or other stuff....

Grenades......Ropes....Weapons....or selfmade c4 and and and and-.-..-

Best Game DayZ......seit ich es kenne bestes spiel...seit langem und bei weitem....