johnlock

Heartbeat while playing DayZ

Hi guys

This is a rather unusual question but still DayZ related... I think. When I play DayZ and I get in to a firefight my heart starts pounding in my chest. I know that this happens to a lot of players and this is what I love about this game. But what is actually changing?

Is it just my pulse increasing or is it also something else? Because it doesn't just feel like my heart pumping faster it feels like it's also pumping harder...

I have no medical education so this might be a very stupid question but there might be someone here who knows the answer.

Pure Adrenaline, my man.

In situations like that it's automatically released to make you help concentrate, run faster, etc.. It's a reaction of your body helping you survive.

• Like 4

Pure Adrenaline, my man.

It's a reaction of your body helping you survive.

Adrenaline release will be removed in later versions of DayZ in order to make it more difficult. 

Hi guys

This is a rather unusual question but still DayZ related... I think. When I play DayZ and I get in to a firefight my heart starts pounding in my chest. I know that this happens to a lot of players and this is what I love about this game. But what is actually changing?

Is it just my pulse increasing or is it also something else? Because it doesn't just feel like my heart pumping faster it feels like it's also pumping harder...

I have no medical education so this might be a very stupid question but there might be someone here who knows the answer.

It's the "fight or flight" response from the sympathetic nervous system. In times of stress, extra adrenaline is released. It has numerous effects including causing your heart to beat faster and harder. ( don't mean to sound like a smart ass, army medic for 12 yrs.)

I probably should have explained why I'm asking. I wan't to measure it. I wan't to hook myself up to a monitor but I'm not sure what I have to monitor.

If my heart is pumping faster I need to monitor the pulse but if my heart is pumping harder I think I'd have to measure the blood pressure? So I'm not sure what I exactly I should measure. I kind of knew that the changes are caused by "fight or flight" and adrenaline.

But thanks for the great responses anyway!

I probably should have explained why I'm asking. I wan't to measure it. I wan't to hook myself up to a monitor but I'm not sure what I have to monitor.

If my heart is pumping faster I need to monitor the pulse but if my heart is pumping harder I think I'd have to measure the blood pressure? So I'm not sure what I exactly I should measure. I kind of knew that the changes are caused by "fight or flight" and adrenaline.

But thanks for the great responses anyway!

Get a home blood pressure monitor. Most drug stores/phatmacies sell them. get a small one that goes around your wrist, it will measure bp and pulse. normal adult bp is around 120/80, pulse 60-80. I apologize if I'm telling you things you already know, just trying to help.. good luck.