EpicTickles

I hate DayZ but I love it so much...

Why can nobody understand calendars? Early access was released DECEMBER 2013, that's not 2 years!

Let me see.. that is 2013, 2014 and 2015.  Shut! that makes it 3 years in my book! 

• Like 1

I think that the Early Access program can lead to unrealistic expectations with regards to the timescale it takes to make a game. GTA 4 took over a thousand people 4 years to make, GTA 5 took about the same. Thats with a large team and huge assets.

One of the problems with having it open to the public at such an early stage is the lack of patience. People want the finished product without having to wait years, but the problem is that it takes years to make a game. I'd hazard a guess that the team working on DayZ is a fair bit smaller than that which worked on GTA. It is a slow process, and not something that we should want rushed. If they rushed it, it would be a crap game.

• Like 1

I think that the Early Access program can lead to unrealistic expectations with regards to the timescale it takes to make a game. GTA 4 took over a thousand people 4 years to make, GTA 5 took about the same. Thats with a large team and huge assets.

One of the problems with having it open to the public at such an early stage is the lack of patience. People want the finished product without having to wait years, but the problem is that it takes years to make a game. I'd hazard a guess that the team working on DayZ is a fair bit smaller than that which worked on GTA. It is a slow process, and not something that we should want rushed. If they rushed it, it would be a crap game.

I totally agree.

If you go back to post 1 you will see that I am pretty much asking some questions and then express my doubt  about the managers of this project.

That's all I needed, but it would have been rude not to reply to some of the people that asked me different questions afterwards.

After all, what I say is my opinion and intelligent people take what they need from that and discard the rest...

Edited by EpicTickles

If you are curious about finding out something new, it's called basic business applied psychology.

Let me give you an example how this is done: you have a discussion with a potential buyer for a product but you feel that the customer might try to find excuses for not paying you for what you are about to deliver. While you present all the powerful sides of your product, you slip between the lines minor downsides of it.

If you see that the customer is more interested in "shinning" the small bad parts of your product, rather than actually paying attention and asking more questions about the powerful parts that would normally impact his business, you are most of the times dealing with a person that is looking for excuses not to pay you the full worth of your product or at all!

On the internet, the most obvious people that I can bring you out are the so called "grammar nazies". They are the ones that would rather post 10 pages of you placing a comma wrong, rather than a single post on the topic.

Now go back on this page and look how many fell for it... Draw your own conclusions...

wow, never in my wildest imagination did I think the explanation for "alpha of more than two years", would be a lesson in basic business applied psychology and grammar. You need a lesson in humility. Pcs305 had a better explanation.
  • Like 1

-snip-

Now go back on this page and look how many fell for it... Draw your own conclusions...

"Fell for it?" - Troll much?

Thanks for the business lesson but if you read what I wrote I outlined the management of the project from Day1 mod to today to point out it's unique challenges and mega ambitious nature of the project.

I'm also still waiting for you or "the community" to produce anything anywhere near as lush, immersive, detailed, and authentic for this genre.

@OP

If your frustrated with the state of game I suggest you do the same I did; and take an extended break until beta/release. (the last I played was after the failed deployment of the global loot economy and roll back of that) Maybe you'll like how it goes, maybe not.  I had many of the same 'gripes' in my wall-o-text 'im leaving the game' thread.

I don't completely agree with many design choices, Priorities, etc, and would have much rather had that "ported-over and fixed-up" version of the vanilla mod. I guess that's the can of worms you open when you try to iterate on a free mod that went Viral and had a HUGE playerbase. you are dealing with a sizeable contingent of your customers who will have well defined notions of what 'makes the game what it is' and that's not gona change. all the new toys and 'features' in the world wont make us happy if it doesn't 'feel the same'.

-see you on the other side

• Like 1

GTA 4 took over a thousand people 4 years to make, GTA 5 took about the same. Thats with a large team and huge assets.

And you wanna know what the development cost for games like that is? Here, knock yourself out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

GTA IV had roughly the same amount of money available as DayZ (100 million). 

GTA V was one of the most expensive games ever made at ~140 million.

edit: Actually, the Steam fee probably can't be counted as "development cost", so DayZ budget is closer to < 60 million. Anyway - it's a whole lot of money no matter how you look at it.

Which is why I wrote before:

I'm afraid that the Bohemia bosses might not be willing to put the required resources into DayZ for some reason, and that this won't change unless there is more pressure on them. And considering that DayZ earned them almost 100 million $ already, there should be more than enough money to put into the game.

Not trying to start a conspiracy theory here - it's fine and all if they simply sack some of that money as "profit". For comparison: Both GTAs were huge hits and made a whopping 1 billion+ in the end. However, it's worth pointing out that the current budget for DayZ is simply HUGE, while the current state of DayZ leaves a lot to be desired. Early Access is supposed to provide money for development - not easy profits without risk.

Edited by derLoko
  • Like 1

"Fell for it?" - Troll much?

Thanks for the business lesson but if you read what I wrote I outlined the management of the project from Day1 mod to today to point out it's unique challenges and mega ambitious nature of the project.

I'm also still waiting for you or "the community" to produce anything anywhere near as lush, immersive, detailed, and authentic for this genre.

The community is the reason dayz exists! DayZ mod was created by the community! Dean Hall started as a common member of this community.

Edited by EpicTickles

wow, never in my wildest imagination did I think the explanation for "alpha of more than two years", would be a lesson in basic business applied psychology and grammar. You need a lesson in humility. Pcs305 had a better explanation.

Well of course you haven't... I don't understand what you mean about the grammar? Lesson in humility? What for? Sorry for the fact that I'm trying not to be like a common sheep, but as I stated before: smart people take what they consider to be good from this thread and discard the rest. And then there are those who will still wonder even in a few months about the comma placed wrong...

And you wanna know what the development cost for games like that is? Here, knock yourself out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

GTA IV had roughly the same amount of money available as DayZ (100 million). 

GTA V was one of the most expensive games ever made at ~140 million.

Which is why I wrote before:

Not trying to start a conspiracy theory here - it's fine and all if they simply sack some of that money as "profit". For comparison: GTA IV was a huge hit and made a whopping 1 billion+ in the end. However, it's worth pointing out that the current budget for DayZ is simply HUGE, while the current state of DayZ leaves a lot to be desired. Early Access is supposed to provide money for development - not easy profits without risk.

People still fail at understanding that the computer games industry is a business... At least I can still see that there are some who don't!

@OP

If your frustrated with the state of game I suggest you do the same I did; and take an extended break until beta/release. (the last I played was after the failed deployment of the global loot economy and roll back of that) Maybe you'll like how it goes, maybe not.  I had many of the same 'gripes' in my wall-o-text 'im leaving the game' thread.

I don't completely agree with many design choices, Priorities, etc, and would have much rather had that "ported-over and fixed-up" version of the vanilla mod. I guess that's the can of worms you open when you try to iterate on a free mod that went Viral and had a HUGE playerbase. you are dealing with a sizeable contingent of your customers who will have well defined notions of what 'makes the game what it is' and that's not gona change. all the new toys and 'features' in the world wont make us happy if it doesn't 'feel the same'.

-see you on the other side

The truth is that the feeling that dayz mod gave me the first time i've played it was incomparable with anything else, even in early stages of development. Dayz SA has many strong points, but in my opinion, it just doesn't deliver what I would expect after 2 years(ha I said it again)

I don't understand what you mean about the grammar?

Right, I don't understand how grammar is part of what you said that you can't acknowledge, "alpha of more than two years". How?

GTA is a terrible comparison, BI is not Rockstar. Minecraft makes a much better comparison. Of which BI has compared its development cycle to that of Minecraft.

Come back at the 2 year mark, please.

Edited by Coheed_IV

The community is the reason dayz exists! DayZ mod was created by the community! Dean Hall started as a common member of this community.

Which is part of the reason we have open alpha as a nod to that.

Still, of the untold multitudes of DayZ inspired mods/games and shameless DayZ clones that every studio is trying to churn out, none capture the imagination or create the immersion of DayZ.

^This is thanks to all the hard work that took place on the SA by pro devs and not the scripter community.

I do believe there is a fair chance that DayZ 1.0 will not make the target release date but I do not think that is any kind of deal breaker for people like me who have dreamed of the SA since summer 2012.

Not unless it were delayed over a year and with crippling bugs would I really begin to loose faith.

It's just WAY too early to tell how any of this will play out over the next 19 months.

Your doubts are based on somewhat unrealistic conjecture when you take all the factors into account.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

“DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.
Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

I'm no software dev. But it only makes sense - to me - that the more content you add to a game, the "heavier" the game gets and performance takes a hit. The more content, the bigger the hit.

I played the Battlefield 3 beta. Boy, what a pain that experience was. What was the biggest problem? Performance. Lag. Lots and lots of lag. Players were able to get under the map and shoot players from underneath the "ground". But, ultimately, performance was the biggest issue. All the content that was planned for launch was in.

So I'm with the posters that say that performance is best addressed - thoroughly- after all the content is in. In the meantime, I'm enjoying DayZ despite its alpha state. I love the premise and design of DayZ. So I'm sticking around.

If you want to have a voice in the dev of DayZ, then you might want to stick around, too.

No, that is not at all true. Having a build that is free of crashes/performance issues is not a prerequisite for it to be in Beta.

This.