Hill568

Resenting DayZ

Lies, lies, lies.

What you mean to say is that you can't get geared in 10 mins by server hopping the Kamy police station anymore.

BigBadChuck Perhaps the complaining authority should make a more serious effort to get equipped. The fact that in the beginning it takes a little time and involves using your noodle to avoid players and Zombies should make the experience the most enjoyable part of the game. When you don't have jack shit you can do as you please. After the last wipe it took me a few sessions to acquire a Steyr AUG, a sawed off shotgun,  a 1911, and  a Longhorn, sufficient ammunition for all, some good threads, a hunting backpack and lots of other survival accouterments. Sure sometimes you come up empty on a 90 min run on a decent server and sometimes you hit a bonanza. The occasional milk run for naught is actually what makes it fun. Without a bad time you cant recognize a good time. Now with the possibility of getting a truck the gearing up is even easier and faster. LIke you I see no reason for crocodile tears.    

Edited by Xbow

Junior had it yesterday and it bit me today. Am I to assume you need to shoulder your long gun before entering a truck? Pretty sure I didn't with my m70 yesterday but I lost my blaze presumably where I entered today's truck.

I've been playing DayZ for 2 days now, only have 12 hours logged and I have found it pretty hard bordering on impossible to not starve to death on many of the servers I have been on. I don't have a problem with not finding canned food all over the place, but in some areas there just doesn't appear to be anything. This is on servers with 1-2 other players. I have tried searching apple trees, never once found a single apple. I can live with that. I found a fishing hook once, not sure what else the game requires to make a fishing pole (probably rope and a stick or pole?). 

Nothing really seems to matter because I start off hungry in the middle of bum fuck coastal nowhere and if I don't luck out and find food I quickly progress to starving to death, sometimes in as little as 30 minutes. Now, the lack of food issue as I said I can deal with. I don't mind having to search my ass off, or even hunt or farm. The issue is starving to death in 30 minutes. What in the world is that all about? Have the developers never heard of the rule of 3? It's a guideline obviously but it goes like this: you can survive for 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. The starving mechanism of the screen desaturating and things getting fuzzy is not a bad idea... if you haven't had any water or other fluids in a couple of days, or if you haven't eaten anything in a week or two. But 30 minutes? Come on now that's about as unrealistic as it can get. 

I kept hearing to move inland away from the coast, and to go north, so I tried that and by the time I got to some cabins, or a town I was already starving. Tried running south to see if I could find anything down there and by the time I got to any civilization same thing, starving to death. Also, can't farm when you starve before you can find everything you need. Has anyone here actually grown things in a garden? It takes a long time! If you plant something today you sure as heck won't be able to harvest it within 30 minutes, or even 30 days. I did find at different times a hoe, pumpkin seeds, some other seeds I don't remember what they were and never were any of them close enough to each other to actually be useful before I starved to death.

I have gotten a little better at surviving since my first couple of lives. I finally said fuck it and hopped on a server with 49 players and that was the one server where I actually got geared, except for a firearm. Actually found enough food, a canteen and water bottle, sodas, a nice backpack, some decent clothes, a splitting axe, a crossbow, hunting knife, a compass and a bunch of other stuff. Couldn't freaking believe it. Then I started hearing gunshots close by so I figured I better skedaddle. Got out of town without being shot, and then promptly started starving again, until starving to death. FML.

If they would adjust the starvation parameters to a realistic amount of time that would make a huge difference. I mean even a newborn baby won't starve to death in 30 minutes. Probably not even a day or two. Yet an adult in this game will. What in the world is that all about? 

Welcome to the apocalypse! As you've probably been able to piece together, a new mechanism was just introduced to control loot spawns. This mechanism is incomplete and has not yet been properly tuned. Folks who had previously relied on canned goods for their food, are having difficulty making the transition to other sources of food, while the devs continue the development of the new loot control mechanism, AKA the Central Loot Economy (CLE).

Loot tends to be much more prevalent, the further inland that you go. But, how to get there? Probably the most popular and readily available food is apples. You can only get apples from apple trees and your hands must be empty, in order to get a prompt to search for them. You won't get an apple on every single search. You have to be patient, as it does take time. Apples don't provide a lot of energy, but they are a great source of moisture. So, since they are poor in energy, be prepared to eat a lot of them. Just as with apples, you can also pick berries from certain bushes. Berries tend to provide much more energy than apples, but beware, some berries are poisonous!

Between apples, berries and water wells, you should have no trouble moving a couple of towns inland. Once there you can collect farming and / or hunting equipment. If you go further still, you'll see canned goods among the loot. But, before you do anything, you should find a suitable stone on the beach and craft a stone knife for yourself. You'll find it to be incredibly useful.

Hunting provides food as well as leather, bone and guts which can all be crafted into useful items. Cooking your food is always a good idea, otherwise you risk disease. The same goes for drinking from stagnate ponds; you're risking disease, unless your immune system is in top shape. If you decide to do some farming, you'll find that if watered and fertilized, the vegetables will grow surprisingly quickly. It is also possible to mix up a pesticide, if your garden becomes infested with insects. 

The apocalypse does not come with an instruction manual. However, some of the vids on the WOBO YouTube channel may help you to better understand some of the game mechanics.

Good luck!

I made a post the other week about how difficult "I'm" finding it to survive. {massivly unplayable}

Since that last post I am on my 4th char in a week and have managed to get to a point where if I so wished I can hunt & farm.

Apples & hydration from the off is a PITA I checked around 40 apple trees and harvested only 4, where is the fun in that? Dodging Z's & other players while trying to get to a point where I'm not dying of starvation is IMO far to tardy of a game. All im asking for is a little more health and more possibility of finding apples from the off than what I have seen in the last year.

I play for enjoyment, not to be better than everyone else or play for one-upmanship but to survive. I dont give a toss about what guns/ammo people have I care about playability, I'm a casual gamer, I have a life outside of Chernarus and my time in-game needs to be enjoyable & playable without it being a constant battle looking for the dregs of food left over by other players let alone dodging zombies.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy DayZ immensly I just wish that the mechanics were changed to allow early life a tad less challenging.

Last time I found Vybor lootbombed, it crashed my computer when I got within 20 feet of the jail building.

As fun as it is filling two dozen backpacks with clothing to find a few mags or PSO scopes, I'd really prefer to see it fixed, and so would my CPU.

Good to know. I thought the server was hokey. I got out of the truck at the gate of the Vereshnik military base  and ran to the jail building. Everything went into slomo and the screen froze with the z visible top left corner. I then spawned in Solnichniy. Apple picked my way to Dolina where I got semi-decently geared. Back on the hill by Vereshnik I found a completely stocked deer stand. 4 to 5 mountain packs, SKS's, shotguns, ammo and much more.

Went down to go look for the truck and my frame rate dropped like a rock the closer I got to the jail. I was not even in the compound yet. (the truck was gone). 

Approaching the baracks from the north I was able to see back packs and rifles outside the barracks. For fear of loosing my now well equipped character I left to go look for food in Pushtoshka.

I would love to see the inside of that jail!

The server was IL 2-16 if I remember correctly.