Sign in to follow this  
Deathlove

Tokarev SVT 40

Look at it this way in terms of 'rareness'

2 million SVT40'S to:

37 million Mosin-Nagant's

15 million SKS's

so for every 1 SVT40....you will have 13 Mosin-Nagant's....and you will have 7 SKS's

I look at it as:

Mosin Nagant: $150

Sks: $350

SVT: $800 in USA/ $400 in Canada and other countries without bogus GCA of '68

PSO: $200-$600 depending on configuration

Edited by agouti

The SVT does not use SVD magazines, nor does it usually mount the PSO-1 (it could use the PU, though.) 'SVD ammo' aka 7.62x54mmR is the only caliber this gun is available in anyway so there's nothing else it could use.

And no, this would not be very common, at least compared to an SKS or Mosin and the vast majority of other civilian guns in the game. Yes, over 2 million were produced but SVT-40s fell out of use pretty quickly because they were expensive to maintain and could not be field stripped. Sure, it wouldn't be as rare as a Red 9 or whatnot but it'd definitely be harder to find than most of the civilian guns, which is understandable considering it's basically the somewhat inferior but still powerful civilian SVD.

The SVT-40 didn't take the standard scope mount for the PU, which works on the SKS or Mosin (the mount is the same, the rail is quite close, one being rounded, the other flat). However, in order to use the mount on the SVT (separate from the other two mounts), you need to get an SVT with a railed receiver. This is all well and dandy, but not all the SVTs have this rail, especially once the soviets stopped using it in the sniper's role. That being said, several companies due offer drill and tap mounts, which could then allow you to field a plethora of optics, of which I would choose the PSO.

Why choose the PSO?

#1 The PSO's rugged construction

#2 The PSO's chevron's should already mostly work with the SVT, being of a similar barrel length and the same round (and a similarish action)

#3 The optics are bright and clear, it's a good scope!

But what else could I consider?

The PSOP with an 8x magnification. :D

The SVT-40 didn't take the standard scope mount for the PU, which works on the SKS or Mosin (the mount is the same, the rail is quite close, one being rounded, the other flat). However, in order to use the mount on the SVT (separate from the other two mounts), you need to get an SVT with a railed receiver. This is all well and dandy, but not all the SVTs have this rail, especially once the soviets stopped using it in the sniper's role. That being said, several companies due offer drill and tap mounts, which could then allow you to field a plethora of optics, of which I would choose the PSO.

Why choose the PSO?

#1 The PSO's rugged construction

#2 The PSO's chevron's should already mostly work with the SVT, being of a similar barrel length and the same round (and a similarish action)

#3 The optics are bright and clear, it's a good scope!

But what else could I consider?

The PSOP with an 8x magnification. :D

The only problem I have with the SVT using the PSO-1 is that it would essentially just make it a different skin for the SVD. Part of the point of these older guns (Mosin, SVT, SKS) is that they have access to scopes but they're limited in usefulness with them because they're meant to be civilian weapons.

It's really just to differentiate the two guns - because gameplay wise they are very similar. Honestly if it were that much of a problem I'd rather it just not have any optics at all than give it the PSO-1.

The only problem I have with the SVT using the PSO-1 is that it would essentially just make it a different skin for the SVD. Part of the point of these older guns (Mosin, SVT, SKS) is that they have access to scopes but they're limited in usefulness with them because they're meant to be civilian weapons.

It's really just to differentiate the two guns - because gameplay wise they are very similar. Honestly if it were that much of a problem I'd rather it just not have any optics at all than give it the PSO-1.

But if the PSO-1 spawns only on the SVD, that's less of a concern. And since the SVT-40 doesn't come with a side rail maybe the player would have to take it to those workshops...

Moving on to more advanced weapon customization, we’ve done a good deal of discussion on allowing more specific customization per weapon. Adding in rail systems, shoe horn mount scopes, barrel swaps, and so on. Controlling when and where this is done is critical to the flow of gameplay across the map. Creating hot spots, and high traffic areas for players looking to gear up, and create their favorite weapon. At this point, we’re looking at adding in advanced crafting tables into this existing (soon to be enter-able) maintenance structure scattered throughout Chernarus.

(on a side note I hope those workshops don't end up producing some silly fantasy contraptions)

But if the PSO-1 spawns only on the SVD, that's less of a concern. And since the SVT-40 doesn't come with a side rail maybe the player would have to take it to those workshops...

Moving on to more advanced weapon customization, we’ve done a good deal of discussion on allowing more specific customization per weapon. Adding in rail systems, shoe horn mount scopes, barrel swaps, and so on. Controlling when and where this is done is critical to the flow of gameplay across the map. Creating hot spots, and high traffic areas for players looking to gear up, and create their favorite weapon. At this point, we’re looking at adding in advanced crafting tables into this existing (soon to be enter-able) maintenance structure scattered throughout Chernarus.

(on a side note I hope those workshops don't end up producing some silly fantasy contraptions)

I could live with that - I just think that were an SVT to be added as is it'd be more appropriate to have the PU scope just attach than have the PSO-1 just attach.

• Like 1

The SVD is much more accurate than the SVT. I'm just being realistic here. Many SVT rifles simply aren't accurate enough to be true sniper rifles, but as Americans (and Canadians) love throwing optics on even the SKS, they'll throw them on the SVT. As many SVTs don't have rails, it is necessary to add them. But then you could add either rails for a PU mount or rails for a PSO mount.

break balance in the game

Hey. You stop that right there. The game is not competitive, therefore we should not have things changed around for "balance". Things should function as well as they really can.

And to contribute with how much I love the SVT40 here's a video with it in. Second rifle in the video.

• Like 1

Hey. You stop that right there. The game is not competitive, therefore we should not have things changed around for "balance". Things should function as well as they really can.

And to contribute with how much I love the SVT40 here's a video with it in. Second rifle in the video.

Thats an awesome video and i agree that guns SHOULD NOT be balanced for the sake of just being a game.