Uncle Zed

Why is Dayz Mod considered "Alpha"

I'm just curious why the Dayz mod is still considered "Alpha"? I don't know the requirements for something to be Alpha, Beta or Release, but the mod sure feels like it's a "Release" to me. Alpha seems to imply lots of unfinished work and tons of bugs (ie: A3 Epoch).

There's lots of unfinished work, though.

What would change for you when it weren't Alpha? Why would you want it to come out of Alpha?

• Like 2

I'm just curious why the Dayz mod is still considered "Alpha"? I don't know the requirements for something to be Alpha, Beta or Release, but the mod sure feels like it's a "Release" to me. Alpha seems to imply lots of unfinished work and tons of bugs (ie: A3 Epoch).

Well there is an awful lot that is needed to be done before release.

They're over 50% to release, progress wise, yet the loot system isn't even ready yet.

The zeds are not working to how they want it

Persistence is still not right

Weapons are not done

Sounds aren't really working that great

Cars, boats and aircraft are nowhere near completion

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Think of it as, say, a battlefield beta. Wouldn't you be pissed off if half the guns weren't done yet? or half the map cut off and just blank?

At the present, in my opinion, they are only now starting the fine tuning to turn it into a beta

Well there is an awful lot that is needed to be done before release.

They're over 50% to release, progress wise, yet the loot system isn't even ready yet.

The zeds are not working to how they want it

Persistence is still not right

Weapons are not done

Sounds aren't really working that great

Cars, boats and aircraft are nowhere near completion

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Think of it as, say, a battlefield beta. Wouldn't you be pissed off if half the guns weren't done yet? or half the map cut off and just blank?

At the present, in my opinion, they are only now starting the fine tuning to turn it into a beta

But the mod's been out for YEARS, well beyond what I'd think would be the average life of an Alpha. It just doesn't feel like there's all that much left to do. It just seems like they are tweaking it, adding little things and changing it, but it doesn't feel like an Alpha at all. What major changes do they have planned and what major bugs still exist? I can't imagine they are going to expand on the vehicles that are already in the game. I'm pretty sure all the vehicles they use are Arma 2 vehicles. Are there plans for non-A2 vehicles? Custom Dayz vehicles?

But the mod's been out for YEARS, well beyond what I'd think would be the average life of an Alpha. It just doesn't feel like there's all that much left to do. It just seems like they are tweaking it, adding little things and changing it, but it doesn't feel like an Alpha at all. What major changes do they have planned and what major bugs still exist? I can't imagine they are going to expand on the vehicles that are already in the game. I'm pretty sure all the vehicles they use are Arma 2 vehicles. Are there plans for non-A2 vehicles? Custom Dayz vehicles?

Well it's the Dayz Standalone that is in Alpha.

Dayz Mod is not in alpha... it's only a mod...

Also my mistake for skipping over the word mod... (maybe bed time)

Well it's the Dayz Standalone that is in Alpha.

Dayz Mod is not in alpha... it's only a mod...

Also my mistake for skipping over the word mod... (maybe bed time)

If you join any Dayz mod server, it says "DayzMod (Alpha)". If you go to the dayzmod.com page. it says "Download Dayz (Alpha Test)". Same with the downloads page. Everywhere it says the Dayz Mod is in Alpha. I'm not arguing that it is or isn't Alpha, I'm just wondering what makes it Alpha.

If you join any Dayz mod server, it says "DayzMod (Alpha)". If you go to the dayzmod.com page. it says "Download Dayz (Alpha Test)". Same with the downloads page. Everywhere it says the Dayz Mod is in Alpha. I'm not arguing that it is or isn't Alpha, I'm just wondering what makes it Alpha.

The most likely reason that dayz mod is labelled as "alpha" is the fact they coded it as that when the team first made it and simply haven't bothered going through the time to remove it. All things aside is that it isn't an alpha now nor do I believe it ever was an alpha that was opening available to play.

By all means Dean would have made an alpha, but kept it to themselves until completion.

• Like 1

The most likely reason that dayz mod is labelled as "alpha" is the fact they coded it as that when the team first made it and simply haven't bothered going through the time to remove it. All things aside is that it isn't an alpha now nor do I believe it ever was an alpha that was opening available to play.

By all means Dean would have made an alpha, but kept it to themselves until completion.

I assume its just because of that. I really doubt they still believe the mod is still in alpha, more so because I don't think they are ever going back to it? And by that being their "active" project if that makes any sense. So I see the mod as a fully released mod.

Alpha means its unfinished its not feature complete its still changing.

So yes the mod will stay in alpha for sometime to come.

• Like 1

Alpha means its unfinished its not feature complete its still changing.

So yes the mod will stay in alpha for sometime to come.

Alpha usually indicates that a game is very unfinished, like the Dayz standalone or the A3 Epoch mod. In a mod as feature rich as the Dayz mod, along with a version number of 1.8.5, it wouldn't normally be considered Alpha. You can have a release version of a game and still add content. 

I think theres still a part of the naming a game 'alpha' that allows the game to be indefinetly unfinished, buggy, and just generally so that it is viewed more favourably.

The other worrying thing is they never seem to have any play of When beta, or anywhere near completion will occur

Alpha usually indicates that a game is very unfinished, like the Dayz standalone or the A3 Epoch mod. In a mod as feature rich as the Dayz mod, along with a version number of 1.8.5, it wouldn't normally be considered Alpha. You can have a release version of a game and still add content. 

Hello there

This is a bit like arguing black is white.

A game is in Alpha, Beta etc until the devs state otherwise.

We need to stop trying to utterly define what is meant by Alpha, Beta etc. as a way to hold devs to ransom. (not implying OP is doing so)

Equate it to a painting. There are many stages in creating a painting where folk would consider it good enough to be "done" but its up to the artist to decide when it's finally complete.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1