Sign in to follow this  
Aquanoise

walkie-talkie suggestion

Very few people use the walkie talkie ingame, one of the reasons is is that the walkie talkie becomes useless when you are further then 500m from the other walkie talkie, i think they should increase or even remove the range limit for the walkie talkies, who agrees?

• Like 6

Very few people use the walkie talkie ingame, one of the reasons is is that the walkie talkie becomes useless when you are further then 500m from the other walkie talkie, i think they should increase or even remove the range limit for the walkie talkies, who agrees?

at one point there was a plan for them to do just that, I want to say it was map wide - not sure what happened

A lot of people tried the walkie talkie for quite a while. Me too. Eventually everyone gave up because :

For a solo player - to contact other unknown players, the walkie talkie is useless. It is 100% a non-starter.

It is too difficult to obtain and maintain, the range is MUCH too short, it uses up batteries, operating it takes time (you call every 10 mins ??) .. So users are extremely rare and never close enough to each other. The walkie talkie game parameters just do not work for making contact with strangers.

Players reported that they carried a walkie talkie for a month or more and never made a contact with another player.

So everyone gave up trying. 

For group players - they use Teamspeak all the time (of course). So groups never have radios, and they are definitely not listening out for anyone talking to them by radio

At present, no one knows if the walkie talkies even work.

I haven't seen one for a long time. The last ones I saw, way back, I ignored. Unfortunately they are worthless.

Experienced players don't even try.

xx.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

I agree, sadly the range is just way too short to have any use of it. 

I used to run with turned on walkie for as long as i could afford it taking up on 2 slots.

Never made a contact. It did work before 0.55. Cant confirm for 0.55 since i dont have one.

Even if walkies would get a buff to global range, you would still be somewhat lucky to actualy find someone at the same time on the same channel.

Hopefully they either get a range buff/means to increase its range (fix the green mountains transistor or w/e)

or additional crafting options such as RC bomb component.

Edited by halp

A lot of people tried the walkie talkie for quite a while. Me too. Eventually everyone gave up because :

For a solo player - to contact other unknown players, the walkie talkie is useless. It is 100% a non-starter.

It is too difficult to obtain and maintain, the range is MUCH too short, it uses up batteries, operating it takes time (you call every 10 mins ??) .. So users are extremely rare and never close enough to each other. The walkie talkie game parameters just do not work for making contact with strangers.

Players reported that they carried a walkie talkie for a month or more and never made a contact with another player.

So everyone gave up trying. 

For group players - they use Teamspeak all the time (of course). So groups never have radios, and they are definitely not listening out for anyone talking to them by radio

At present, no one knows if the walkie talkies even work.

I haven't seen one for a long time. The last ones I saw, way back, I ignored. Unfortunately they are worthless.

Experienced players don't even try.

xx.

Sad but true.

• Like 1

crafting options such as RC bomb component.

You better hope nobody else happens to be using the same channel at the moment you arm the bomb.

You better hope nobody else happens to be using the same channel at the moment you arm the bomb.

This would be hilarious. I would not be mad at all to die like this :D

Edited by halp

I was just thinkin this today when i found a walkie, I thought it was a 1000m but it defently needs a range increase

I agree completely. Maybe not infinite range for realism's sake, but it should be able to reach much farther. Maybe we could find a radio (2x2 or 3x2) that works the same as the walkie-talkie, but with infinite range.

Now what I'd really like to see is TeamSpeak, Skype, etc. being disabled in-game. IMO squads running around communicating telepathically sort of goes against what the game is all about. However, I doubt there is any way to do this aside from server-based anti-TS rules.

Edited by OnionOfShame
  • Like 1