Towel-Tango

MERGED: Everything about DOGS

Not sure if anyone has though of this yet, but I believe dogs would have a place in this world.

Man's best friend and all.

They were in "Fallout"(game), "I Am Legend"(film) and "A Boy and his Dog"(film):

who-played-the-dogs-out-the-realistic-dogs-of-gaming-fallout-3-dogmeat.jpg

i-am-legend-3.jpg

entrance-down-under-300x112.jpg

Implement some way of "taming" a lost dog and have it as your companion/assistant/animal hunter etc. Maybe they could follow you quite closely and attack players/zeds based on hostility factors or something (so that they don't just auto attack players and zeds).

They could be great to hunt down animals for meat etc, and maybe growl when they sense danger.

Naturally they would be reasonably rare and not too easy to "tame" to prevent overpopulation of them.

Just my trail of thoughts on the idea anyway.

I'm sure there are way more/better uses and features though of for them.

What you guys think?

Lol I somehow failed to find any dog related posts prior to posting that. Oh well.

With the impending introduction of dogs I think they may be a good way of keeping life interesting in the woods.

The odd sweep of dogs through the woods to savage survivors and animals hiding from the zombie threat and may drive people back to the cities unless they can build themselves a more defensive campsite.

The Arma 2 Stalker mod has a good example of the dogs in action.

Also if you bleed out after an attack from the infected then your character should become a well equipped AI zombie.

It's all about having just the right quantity of everything to keep it interesting without discouraging people to the point of quitting.

Rocket has previously considered adding dogs as companions (presumably by adding them as part of your Group). A companion dog could potentially detect the infected long before they are in sight and could alert the camp as to what was coming and which direction or maybe even guard your tents while disconnected.

i read this title as "packs of infected hotdogs in the woods"

needless to say when i actually saw what it said i was dissapointed to learn somone didnt want hotdogs in the woods LOL

It's all about having just the right quantity of everything to keep it interesting without discouraging people to the point of quitting.

Rocket has previously considered adding dogs as companions (presumably by adding them as part of your Group). A companion dog could potentially detect the infected long before they are in sight and could alert the camp as to what was coming and which direction or maybe even guard your tents while disconnected.

As long as they don't go Fable on us and have dog companions bark whenever there's loot nearby. :s

Honestly though, I don't really see dog companions working that well at all. I'd rather have rabid hostile dogs out in the wilderness as another threat to be wary of.

would be possible to place dogs in the Dayz? because if it is possible would be really cool.

Yeah dogs would be awesome!

No matter what SHTF situation I have witnessed (from Katrina to Iraq/Afghanistan) there are always loose dogs running around. Dogs are pack animals and even pets will resort to this behavior. I think a pack (from 3-8) dogs roaming around would be a cool threat. They would roam the forests and even enter cities looking for food. Maybe you can distract them by throwing a steak or can of food.

Also I think being able to some how earn the trust of a dog would be cool and have a pet. The pet dog would give a low growl when he senses someone close and barks when the person is too close. He will even defend your tent/vehicle for you. And of course you could make him attack for you.

The second part might be harder to do, but I think the first part at least would be cool.

I would not want to have a dog with me in a ZedApo. Dogs are too loud, Zeds would be attracted by it.

I'd take my 120lb gsd over 98% of the fat, lazy, no-survival skill population any day.

No worries about her fucking me over either.

Someone's been playing Fallout!

Would be a cool idea. Not sure how hard it would be to implement.

Dogmeat ftw.

Never actually played Fallout, but have always been a big fan of Mad Max :)

Someone's been playing Fallout!

Would be a cool idea. Not sure how hard it would be to implement.

Dogmeat ftw.

I was talking about real life and applying it to the game. If faced with the end of dayz I would take my dog over most civilians who lack any survival or combat skills and have the fitness level of....your average north american :)

@nacrom: What's a gsd?

@Orphen: There were dogs before Fallout, believe it or not.

@OP: Good idea, supported.

I know there were dogs before Fallout, but Fallout was the first game that came to my mind that has a dog companion in a post-apocalyptic world.

It's odd how everyone on the forums jumps into a negative stance.

Rocket has spoken about this recently. I'd love to have to rescue a cornered dog from a pack of zombies, or consider which of us I was going to feed.

If I logged in and my dog was gone, though, I'd be PISSED.

Probably wouldn't be that hard to implement. If the dog was just a AI player the likes of which you control in normal Arma II as squad members. I mean, they shout out when people are near so it could just be changed to a bark and the model changed to a dog. But Idk how the earning trust would be implemented.

GSD is a German Shepherd Dog. Doggy lingo is cool.

I have mixed feelings about this idea, I like the idea of having a dog but I think in the game it would be either underpowered and depressing or overpowered and annoying.

Examples could be;

Leaving a dog in a server would be worrying especially if it was to protect something, I mean it could be easily sniped from afar while you're not playing. Also taking it with you when you log off somehow would also be a bit strange.

Having a dog and it'd be quiet around friendlies/those with humanity and it'd growl/bark at those with a minus humanity, or have it recognize those you bandage/share blood with/other good things and warm up to them.

Overall the idea is good but the implementation would have to be near perfect otherwise I see it as pointless.

I know there were dogs before Fallout' date=' but Fallout was the first game that came to my mind that has a dog companion in a post-apocalyptic world.

It's odd how everyone on the forums jumps into a negative stance.

[/quote']

Ahh ok, that is pretty cool. I actually had a pet in the Star Wars Galaxy game and it was pretty awesome.

In that game basically you had to find a baby animal in the wilderness and try to befriend it, without getting attacked by it's parent. Then it would grow over time.

That would be cool. Or saving a dog from a zombie attack as mentioned to get him to befriend you. Having to choose between feeding your dog or yourself would be cool. Choosing the shoot at the pack of dogs or throw a couple steaks out for them.

If you wanted to get real in depth you could have different breeds. A German shepard would be good guard dog and growl/bark at humans ect. A Lab would be a good hunting dog and would "point" in the direction of game or threats when they are around.

Picture this you are a sniper up on a hill overlooking a field and your Lab is down in the field, then he points off to the east and you follow his lead and see a PC sneaking around a building towards you.

The last bit might be too in depth, but any level of dogs would be awesome imo.

Good points. Leaving your dog on guard duty alone would be huge risk. Just as it would be in RL during the end of dayz.

I've been thinking about how the dog would be ok with strangers. Naturally a dog in that setting would be hostile to anyone unless shown by their master (you) that the new comers are friends. You walk up to a person mouse wheel on them and click "sniff". Your dogs sniffs them, gets the scent and regards them as being ok from then on. You would obviously have to be very careful about who you do this with.