jtberry2000

internet connection

Before I upgrade my computer, is my internet connection good enough. download 1.53, upload 0.36, ping 87. thanks.

Personally, I've no idea.  I would suggest speaking with your internet provider.  :thumbsup:

DayZ currently uses a lot of bandwidth, but the average DSL connection is more than adequate. If you have DSL and others in the house are also using bandwidth, you may run into issues.

Before I upgrade my computer, is my internet connection good enough. download 1.53, upload 0.36, ping 87. thanks.

You might squeak by if literally nothing else in your home is using your bandwidth and (this part is important) your connection is especially stable and you always get the bandwidth you pay for. Dayz uses no more than about 500kbps which is less than half of what you posted. That said, I would try to upgrade your internet if you can. In today's landscape, that amount of bandwidth is just not going to cut it. 

EDIT: Also, why is your ping so high? I assume that test you ran was an automatic test through speedtest.net? If so, it should have selected a local server and if the best server it could find produced a ping of 87, then you might be in for some problems. Games require as low of a ping as possible.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

1.53mbps is really slow.

think of it like being able to download file at only 200kb/s

i think dayz uses more than 200kb/s

ive heard approx 100-200mb per hour on high pop servers.

so maybe your connection would struggle greatly on high pop servers and not so bad on low pop servers

who is your ISP?? what is your monthly cap?

By my poor calculations, your max capable speed of 1.53mbps (~200kb/s) is not sufficient for 200MB/hr usage (~3MB/s)

but my searches have found huge ranges in usage...

1.53mbps is really slow.

think of it like being able to download file at only 200kb/s

i think dayz uses more than 200kb/s

ive heard approx 100-200mb per hour on high pop servers.

so maybe your connection would struggle greatly on high pop servers and not so bad on low pop servers

who is your ISP?? what is your monthly cap?

By my poor calculations, your max capable speed of 1.53mbps (~200kb/s) is not sufficient for 200MB/hr usage (~3MB/s)

but my searches have found huge ranges in usage...

Your calculations are wrong. 

1.53 mbps = ~1500kbps

DayZ uses from 150 - 500 kbps.

These are all bits not bytes.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 3

my suffixs are wrong, math is fine.

a 1.5 meg connection does about 200k download per second. which is very very light.

where as my 35 meg connection doest about 3000k/s (or say 15 meg connection is about 1500k/s, again very roughly here)

1.5 meg is like 10 year ago dsl.

that being said if you can only hit about 200-300 k/s, its barely enough for what a high pop 50 person server demands per second/hour

Edited by deebz1234

hey mate, i myself struggle with internet connection aswell. first let's say i have a worse connection than yours, a download speed of 1Mbps and upload of 512Kbps and i'm playing in Europe servers with a ping like 150~200 but i had exactly no issue winning a gun fight or with rubberbanding or jerkiness (if you factor .55 patch which is a mess for me somehow, totally unplayable) (also worth nothing to mention i managed to play some today it was all great and smooth)

the point is your connection is beyond the need for this game (if you factor the ping, which you get used to it), but if i'm you, i would try contacting my ISP to increase my upload speed a much as possible.

Edit: i had not issue since 2013, and all of a sudden things start to get dirty with .55 :D 

Edit 2: i killed two guys today which i'm proud of, don't judge :D

Edited by VahidkinG

my suffixs are wrong, math is fine.

a 1.5 meg connection does about 200k download per second. which is very very light.

where as my 35 meg connection doest about 3000k/s (or say 15 meg connection is about 1500k/s, again very roughly here)

1.5 meg is like 10 year ago dsl.

that being said if you can only hit about 200-300 k/s, its barely enough for what a high pop 50 person server demands per second/hour

You have some funky ideas about internet speed, or at least the way you interpret them. You keep saying he only gets 200-300k, but he told you at the beginning he gets 1.5m, which is 1500k. You are crossing bits and bytes, even though all we are talking are bits.

when you list your speed test results, or ISP package, it is in MEGABIT (in most cases)

so a 10 Megabit connection is very very close to actualy download speed of 1 megabyte per second which is also comparative to approx 1000k/s actual download speed

my funky ideas are completely sound, albeit simplified for the reader

if the OP has a 1.5megaBIT connection (as per isp packages or speedtest.net)

then his actual downlod speed is no greater than say 150-300 kilobytes

infact sir you are crossing your bits and bytes

chart for reference:

1500 kilobits

1.5 megabit (as in connection speed)

187.5 kilobytes (as in what the average web browser shows per second)

0.18310546875 Megabytes (as in when you exceed 1024 kilobytes (in steam downloads and browsers, it generally tells you in Megabytes per second)

no need to continue this explanation

Going to post in this thread. Sorry to OP.

I'm about to get FiOS . what's better 50 Mbps down 1 up or 25/5?

Thanks!

when you list your speed test results, or ISP package, it is in MEGABIT (in most cases)

so a 10 Megabit connection is very very close to actualy download speed of 1 megabyte per second which is also comparative to approx 1000k/s actual download speed

chart for reference:

1500 kilobits

0.18310546875 Megabytes (as in when you exceed 1024 kilobytes (in steam downloads and browsers, it generally tells you in Megabytes per second)

Right and what I'm telling you is that DayZ uses 150-500 Kilobits per second. He gets 1500 kilobits per second. He's fine as far as DayZ is concerned.

chart for reference:

1500 kilobits

You are still confused, but that is okay. The OP gets at least triple what dayz requires, so he is okay. It doesn't account for lag spikes and such, but it will work.

• Like 1

Going to post in this thread. Sorry to OP.

I'm about to get FiOS . what's better 50 Mbps down 1 up or 25/5?

Thanks!

If those are your only two options, then I'd say you should get the 25/5. If you do a ton of downloading, then maybe do the 50/1. Unless you are hosting a server on your own machine, gaming doesn't usually use much bandwidth. You should be fine either way.

I can't believe that Charter cable internet has now surpassed Verizon FiOS, When FiOS first came out, it was some of the highest bandwidth you could get. I now get 60/4 from Charter. I pay $50/month and I usually actually speedtest higher than the bandwidth I'm paying for.

You guys are killing me... I'm super stoked when the weather is good and I get a ping under 600 on my satellite, my cell gets 150-200 but shreds my 2g cap in four weekdays or one and a half days on a good weekend.

I have my own personal motorcross track in my yard and never hear emergency vehicle sirens in the middle of the night though.

You guys are killing me... I'm super stoked when the weather is good and I get a ping under 600 on my satellite, my cell gets 150-200 but shreds my 2g cap in four weekdays or one and a half days on a good weekend.

I have my own personal motorcross track in my yard and never hear emergency vehicle sirens in the middle of the night though.

I bet you do just about whatever you want too. I live in a small city and I can't light a fire in the backyard without a permit from the fire department, shoot a rifle or even air rifle, light fireworks, play music loudly, etc. without it either being illegal or running the risk of someone calling in a complaint. My girlfriends parents live in a rural place up on a mountain like what you describe where they can only get satellite or cell internet and we stayed out there for about a month last year. It damn sure was fun having bonfires every night, growing all kinds of fresh veggies, shooting whatever whenever we felt like it, letting the dogs run till they passed out in the shade, and never having to worry about someone else raising a stink about play music out in the garage while I worked on the car. I also killed the first and only wild rattlesnake I had ever seen (sorry about that fella) and found a shit ton of scorpions which was actually pretty cool, imo. My dogs absolutely loved it and their personalities became more pronounced and they seemed to be more sure and protective after awhile which didn't go away when we moved back to civilization. 

If I could get cable internet out in a place like that, I'd never live within a mile of another human being again.

• Like 3

Pretty much, last house on the road in a "high end" sub division but they let us hillbillies get away with murder because we kill the garbage eating bears and have the tractor that plows their drive ways and get their crossovers out of the ditch on the 2 snow days a year. Three generations living together in a big house in a big yard doing cool shit like watching papa int the shop making new furniture for his new old gun while junior and I are working on our bikes in the driveway. Wouldn't trade it for all the MB/s in the world.   

• Like 1

You really shouldn't have any problems with playing the game. I've seen people with much worse internet connection play DayZ just fine but you must make sure that the servers you play on are strong and stable. If you can I would suggest finding a local or nearby server but for most it doesn't really make a difference. I have a friend and there is a branch of servers that are hosted 80 or so miles away in Dallas, and he plays on them and has no problem with connection.

There's this old trick that not many people no that can speed up your internet. Just fill up a glass with some warm distilled water, preferably originally tap, then gently pour water on router/modem and the internet from behind your computer if you have a wired connection.  

haha, just kidding. don't do that..

But your connection as it is should be just fine. But if you can, try not to be using too much internet in other parts of the house. Netflix on in the other room and no ones watching it? Shut it off for later.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the responses. alot of good info.