IgnobleBasterd

Zombies are normal humans with virus?

I continue to hold the belief dayz has been sold to us with the word ZOMBIE and with the intention of it being a ZOMBIE game.

And I really dislike this bullshit crazy people with a cold idea. As of 0.55 """""""""""zombies""""""""""""" are just random people walking around and then attacking you. 

Thats so fuking dull to me. Zombies are the walking dead, they eat the living, the are walking rotting corpses. Not superhuman nutters.  

I love the desolate abandoned survival atmosphere. We all do, thats why zombie movies (real zombie movies) and games and tv shows are so popular.

The raging lunatic idea just ruins that. Thats what DESTROYED resident evil.   

Well then you should have done your research prior to throwing money into buying DayZ.  No one to blame but yourself.

• Like 2

I continue to hold the belief dayz has been sold to us with the word ZOMBIE and with the intention of it being a ZOMBIE game.

And I really dislike this bullshit crazy people with a cold idea. As of 0.55 """""""""""zombies""""""""""""" are just random people walking around and then attacking you. 

Thats so fuking dull to me. Zombies are the walking dead, they eat the living, the are walking rotting corpses. Not superhuman nutters.  

I love the desolate abandoned survival atmosphere. We all do, thats why zombie movies (real zombie movies) and games and tv shows are so popular.

The raging lunatic idea just ruins that. Thats what DESTROYED resident evil.   

Firstly: cry more

Secondly: the "Z" in "Day Z" doesn't stand for "zombie", it stands for "zero", as in "year zero" AKA "reset the calendar"

Thirdly: The "bullshit crazy people with a cold", as you put it, is far more "authentic" than magically-reanimated walking dead. Take a look at the symptoms of the rabies virus sometime.

As an aside, how does a corpse walk? If there is walking, then by definition there is muscle movement, and in that case the muscle needs energy, AKA ATP production, and in that case, the cells need oxygen, and then there has to be blood flow to supply the cells with oxygen, and THEN there has to be input from the brain, to give electrical stimuli so the diaphragm will flex, and the heart will beat. In that case, the corpse isn't a corpse at all. 

Sorry

Just because an "infected" isn't a corpse doesn't mean they can't eat people. 

Fourthly: the "infected" aren't superhuman, just straining the limits of human endurance. Humans are actually, pound for pound, the strongest primates on the planet. We can't access that strength 99% of the time due to chemical barriers that prevent us from causing damage to ourselves. Trigger an adrenaline reaction, and take away the ability to feel pain (which, by definition, happens during an adrenaline response, and can be caused by brain damage and drug use), and humans can (and have) soak up multiple bullets, break bones without knowing/feeling it, and lift up several times their own body weight. 

Do me a favor: go to the "bad part of town", and go piss off a tweaker, preferably a meth-head coming off a high. The beating you get will be VERY similar to that given by the in-game infected. 

• Like 1

Firstly: cry more

Secondly: the "Z" in "Day Z" doesn't stand for "zombie", it stands for "zero", as in "year zero" AKA "reset the calendar"

Thirdly: The "bullshit crazy people with a cold", as you put it, is far more "authentic" than magically-reanimated walking dead. Take a look at the symptoms of the rabies virus sometime.

As an aside, how does a corpse walk? If there is walking, then by definition there is muscle movement, and in that case the muscle needs energy, AKA ATP production, and in that case, the cells need oxygen, and then there has to be blood flow to supply the cells with oxygen, and THEN there has to be input from the brain, to give electrical stimuli so the diaphragm will flex, and the heart will beat. In that case, the corpse isn't a corpse at all. 

Sorry

Just because an "infected" isn't a corpse doesn't mean they can't eat people. 

Fourthly: the "infected" aren't superhuman, just straining the limits of human endurance. Humans are actually, pound for pound, the strongest primates on the planet. We can't access that strength 99% of the time due to chemical barriers that prevent us from causing damage to ourselves. Trigger an adrenaline reaction, and take away the ability to feel pain (which, by definition, happens during an adrenaline response, and can be caused by brain damage and drug use), and humans can (and have) soak up multiple bullets, break bones without knowing/feeling it, and lift up several times their own body weight. 

Do me a favor: go to the "bad part of town", and go piss off a tweaker, preferably a meth-head coming off a high. The beating you get will be VERY similar to that given by the in-game infected. 

I highly recommend that last paragraph for all the QQ ers we've had since .55 dropped. 

You ask almost any random person, they will say dayz is a zombie survival game. 

The mod was heavily promoted as a zombie game, as soon as it came on steam I bought it based on the mods potential. 

But so far the mod is still way ahead of the stand alone. And having sprinting crazy people is just boring. They run at you, you kill them, the end. wow what an experience that was. not. Zero suspense, zero atmosphere. It's dead and dull, ironically. 

The mod was heavily promoted as a zombie game, as soon as it came on steam I bought it based on the mods potential. 

But so far the mod is still way ahead of the stand alone. And having sprinting crazy people is just boring. They run at you, you kill them, the end. wow what an experience that was. not. Zero suspense, zero atmosphere. It's dead and dull, ironically. 

1) The mod is "still way ahead of the standalone" because the mod is a MODIFICATION of a finished game. The standalone is a game that is little more that 1/3 of the way complete, at best

2) Tell me, what would be the difference between "shambling undead hordes" and the current "sprinters"?

I, personally, find "shambers" HILARIOUS. They sllllooowwwwwllllyyyy shuffle in your direction, moaning all the while, to the point where you literally have to "grab a hold of the idiot ball" to get killed by them. Seriously, all it would take to get away from a shambler, even a horde of shamblers, is to take a brisk walk in the opposite direction. No real sense of urgency, not much to worry about, just powerwalk away...

"Wow, what an experience that was. Not..."

1) The mod is "still way ahead of the standalone" because the mod is a MODIFICATION of a finished game. The standalone is a game that is little more that 1/3 of the way complete, at best

2) Tell me, what would be the difference between "shambling undead hordes" and the current "sprinters"?

I, personally, find "shambers" HILARIOUS. They sllllooowwwwwllllyyyy shuffle in your direction, moaning all the while, to the point where you literally have to "grab a hold of the idiot ball" to get killed by them. Seriously, all it would take to get away from a shambler, even a horde of shamblers, is to take a brisk walk in the opposite direction. No real sense of urgency, not much to worry about, just powerwalk away...

"Wow, what an experience that was. Not..."

The idea of slow zombies is you can't run forever and there are lots of them. Stamina has yet to be put in this game. When it does, good luck getting away from these rage sprinters. 

Classical zombies don't just walk, they can jog in a fashion. Depending on their physical state. And you can not out run them forever. Forcing you to hide, build fortifications. etc.

Sprinting maniacs will never give this game the atmosphere it needs. And if you increase the numbers of these current sprinting infected people the game will become unplayable. 

The game as it is now, you run around on fields for ages, see a town, kill the one or two infected that sprint at you (out of the maybe 6 that are there). look for items, move on. Thats it.

Imagine if the infected were increased, imagine 10 or 20 of these infected sprinting at you, the second you get close to a town. you would die. As it is, with sprinting enemies, the number will not be increased as it will become unplayable. 

With stamina on your character and slower real zombies, it's a very different story. You can have many zombies and not be overwhelmed instantly. If you run around town to much, hang around a house to long, you might get blocked off by a load of zombies. That can force you to block off an entrance to a house. perhaps sneak out the window. or maybe if the house is surrounded climb on the roof, maybe build a small bridge to another house and on and on in many different scenarios.   This type of stuff will NEVER happen if infected sprint at you as soon as you get to town. Because a sprinting enemy needs to be dealt with instantly or you die, meaning the game play with the main thing this games based on last about 5 maybe 10 seconds. then it's over. The rest is just running in fields till the next infected sprints at you.

Sprinting infected are shit because of the need to deal with them instantly.

The idea of slow zombies is you can't run forever and there are lots of them. Stamina has yet to be put in this game. When it does, good luck getting away from these rage sprinters. 

Classical zombies don't just walk, they can jog in a fashion. Depending on their physical state. And you can not out run them forever. Forcing you to hide, build fortifications. etc.

Sprinting maniacs will never give this game the atmosphere it needs. And if you increase the numbers of these current sprinting infected people the game will become unplayable. 

The game as it is now, you run around on fields for ages, see a town, kill the one or two infected that sprint at you (out of the maybe 6 that are there). look for items, move on. Thats it.

Imagine if the infected were increased, imagine 10 or 20 of these infected sprinting at you, the second you get close to a town. you would die. As it is, with sprinting enemies, the number will not be increased as it will become unplayable. 

With stamina on your character and slower real zombies, it's a very different story. You can have many zombies and not be overwhelmed instantly. If you run around town to much, hang around a house to long, you might get blocked off by a load of zombies. That can force you to block off an entrance to a house. perhaps sneak out the window. or maybe if the house is surrounded climb on the roof, maybe build a small bridge to another house and on and on in many different scenarios.   This type of stuff will NEVER happen if infected sprint at you as soon as you get to town. Because a sprinting enemy needs to be dealt with instantly or you die, meaning the game play with the main thing this games based on last about 5 maybe 10 seconds. then it's over. The rest is just running in fields till the next infected sprints at you.

Sprinting infected are shit because of the need to deal with them instantly.

1) Human beings are capable of jogging for DAYS. We were "endurance" hunters, after all, and there is only a few other species on the planet that are capable of keeping up with us over time.

So, you say they can "jog, in a fashion". In all of the movies I have seen, this "jog" of which you speak is little more than a faster shuffling that would trip them up if they weren't on flat, level ground.

2) Which is why you 1- only go to the towns/cities when you need to, and 2- sneak. Stealth is perfectly possible with the latest update. I have yet to have a problem with the infected, because I actually use caution when moving around and don't sprint everywhere like a maniac

3) The infected don't "sprint right at you when you get to town". You actually have to catch their attention, usually by making a lot of noise, or by blundering through their view. Don't overdramaticise the current mechanic to try to prove a point

"Deal with them instantly". You don't have to: you can run away, lock them in a building, or fight them off.

The game is supposed to be hard, and it wouldn't be if you could faff about while gathering up a horde of shuffling imbeciles.

• Like 1

seriously though bro, those of us who've been around for more than a year know your tendancy to hop on and drive this point home, but you're still throwing conjecture around like it's fact, albeit with a smack of bitter berry.  Lets just give our opinions maybe, or even some facts, oh great purveyor of realism and authenticity.

He gave his opinion, of course which he is always allowed to do.

I merely weighed in on it, to say that I disagree and think his opinions are incorrect. Something that I am allowed to do.

Protip: the devs have stated, multiple times, that the "zombies" in Day Z are not "undead corpses", but normal people infected with a disease that does little to impair them physically. Not conjecture.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

1) Human beings are capable of jogging for DAYS. We were "endurance" hunters, after all, and there is only a few other species on the planet that are capable of keeping up with us over time.

So, you say they can "jog, in a fashion". In all of the movies I have seen, this "jog" of which you speak is little more than a faster shuffling that would trip them up if they weren't on flat, level ground.

2) Which is why you 1- only go to the towns/cities when you need to, and 2- sneak. Stealth is perfectly possible with the latest update. I have yet to have a problem with the infected, because I actually use caution when moving around and don't sprint everywhere like a maniac

3) The infected don't "sprint right at you when you get to town". You actually have to catch their attention, usually by making a lot of noise, or by blundering through their view. Don't overdramaticise the current mechanic to try to prove a point

"Deal with them instantly". You don't have to: you can run away, lock them in a building, or fight them off.

The game is supposed to be hard, and it wouldn't be if you could faff about while gathering up a horde of shuffling imbeciles.

"Don't overdramaticise the current mechanic to try to prove a point"

"Human beings are capable of jogging for DAYS"

"Deal with them instantly". You don't have to: you can run away, lock them in a building, or fight them off"  

You realise each one of those are Dealing with them instantly.

Btw the game isn't hard at all. A zombie runs at you, you kill it. the end.

you're full of shit. 

You also said Humans are actually, pound for pound, the strongest primates on the planet

Also bullshit. 

Edited by sai

Wow, it's amazing how childish people are getting when being told the truth about the infected.  This thread is pointless and holds zero merit for discussion.  Quit stomping your feet and pouting.

"Don't overdramaticise the current mechanic to try to prove a point"

"Human beings are capable of jogging for DAYS"

"Deal with them instantly". You don't have to: you can run away, lock them in a building, or fight them off"  

You realise each one of those are Dealing with them instantly.

Btw the game isn't hard at all. A zombie runs at you, you kill it. the end.

you're full of shit. 

You also said Humans are actually, pound for pound, the strongest primates on the planet

Also bullshit. 

1) Do some research, namely on endurance hunting 

Hell, I'll do it for you (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting)

2) And? The AI and mechanics for infected has only now, with the latest patch, been changed. We still have a year+ of development time for the game, and by extension, the infected, to become the truly-difficult game Day Z was meant to be.

3) There are different types of strength. Other primates have us beat in "raw" strength. However, add in the effects of adrenaline from the "fight or flight" response, couple it with the wider range of motions that humans can do vs chimps or gorillas, and humans can at least compare favorably.

Humans only use a relatively small percentage of our muscles capabilities, in order to prevent damage to said muscles and to the tendons. In times of stress (again, fight or flight), those limits get exceeded, and there are (multiple) stories of people lifting 3000lb cars off of injured bystanders. Of course, the price you pay is damaged muscle fibers and tendons/ligaments ripped off the bone, but what-have-you0

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/extreme-fear-superhuman/

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/circus-arts/adrenaline-strength1.htm

Take a look at the infected in-game, and "pretend" they are in a nigh-constant state of "fight or flight" response. As a result, they would be far stronger than you or I (at least, until we enter the fight-or-flight response), as well as being capable of literally ignoring pain.  Add in things like brain damage via high fever, and you get an expressly-superhuman creature that can "tank" bullets to the gut and blows to the head.

Wow, it's amazing how childish people are getting when being told the truth about the infected.  This thread is pointless and holds zero merit for discussion.  Quit stomping your feet and pouting.

Isn't that what the intewebz is all about?

Baseless arguments, made up statistics, "my opinion is better than yours", nerd rage and a healthy amount of pouting an foot stomping.

I love you internet.

2) And? The AI and mechanics for infected has only now, with the latest patch, been changed. We still have a year+ of development time for the game, and by extension, the infected, to become the truly-difficult game Day Z was meant to be.

3) There are different types of strength. Other primates have us beat in "raw" strength. However, add in the effects of adrenaline from the "fight or flight" response, couple it with the wider range of motions that humans can do vs chimps or gorillas, and humans can at least compare favorably.

Humans only use a relatively small percentage of our muscles capabilities, in order to prevent damage to said muscles and to the tendons. In times of stress (again, fight or flight), those limits get exceeded, and there are (multiple) stories of people lifting 3000lb cars off of injured bystanders. Of course, the price you pay is damaged muscle fibers and tendons/ligaments ripped off the bone, but what-have-you0

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/circus-arts/adrenaline-strength1.htm

Take a look at the infected in-game, and "pretend" they are in a nigh-constant state of "fight or flight" response. As a result, they would be far stronger than you or I (at least, until we enter the fight-or-flight response), as well as being capable of literally ignoring pain.  Add in things like brain damage via high fever, and you get an expressly-superhuman creature that can "tank" bullets to the gut and blows to the head.

I'm far from being childish, or making things up. I'm calling out his bullshit. 

On your own link.

"hunters of the central Kalahari will chase a kudu for about two to five hours"

Not days. 

Yes you are right about us not having access to all our muscles capability. But what you said, "humans are pound for pound the strongest primate" is bullshit. 

Dayz is how it is, nothing I or you say will change it's outcome, It's my opinion. And I'll just leave it at the fact that resident evil got ruined by the sprinter infected idea. Like the new games or not, it's not the same game, aka ruined.  

If you wana argue with someone, argue with those guys that complain about no loot, perhaps my exp was different than their but I was fully kitted out after an hour n a half in 0.55, took a screen shot to show the loots not that bad, but it took a pic of my desktop and not the game. 

Edited by sai

I know  2 middle aged women who did the lift the car thing granted only one corner to get on of their husbands out.

I personally have been beaten over the head with a 14" cresent wrench among other weapons in a an attack by 20 plus people and on pure adrenaline fought my way out and escaped having no recollection of how I got there or where half my blood went. I regained conscious 10 blocks away at home in bed, my ex wife said I came in and answered her "what happened?" with "I'm fine, my head hurts and I need a nap".

Some but not all the superhuman "zombie" strength based on adrenaline is somewhat believable to me. 

I assumed many died of exposure already (which is why there aren't 10's of thousands).

I also assumed they ate you a bit after killing you, hopefully they add animations like that later.

Didn't they eat dead players in the mod?

DayZ is not a game built on what previously happened. The purpose to not giving a background is so you focus on your character in the present. The game is about character interaction, not the zombies (or infected, if we are incapable of using "zombie" as a practical term).

The main mechanic of the game is literally that you create the story. It is a game that holds no story but encourages players to encounter one another, it's one of few games that get's rid of ludonarrative dissonance without having to turn into a competitive format or puzzle. It doesn't rely on it's mechanics as a motivator like a game like Braid, and it doesn't rely on a framed narrative like any RPG, MMO, etc..

• Like 1

Hardly official now, is it

where did he say it was official? do you have a quote for that?

OT: it's a "zombie" apocalypse survival game. my character leaves the "Hows and Whys" to the scientific community.. he's too busy running scared or sneaking around to ponder.

For the lack of a better term. It's not really descriptive to call it "A game where there's some infected people, that behave kind of like Zombies but really aren't zombies and don't behave like Zombies, yet it's about surviving the apocalypse"

The store page doesn't pitch it as a Zombie game, either.

To quote:

Welcome to the world of DayZ, hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population.

Seeing as this thread has run its course and 95% is bickering at this point it shall be gone. Let this be a warning to all of you:

this kind of back and forth is not a discussion nor is it relevant. If you don't have anything constructive to add and resort to "your point is BS" - don't bother posting.

• Like 1