Dreganius (DayZ)

Weapon Russianization (WARNING: Big, detailed post)

cIrXT.jpg

There have been many suggestions before me that have asked for less European/American weaponry and more Soviet/Russian weaponry, or at least weapons that would be considered "more common" in Chernarus, considering it's a pseudo-russian state.

Rather than just ask "Can we replace some weapons?" I've decided to do some research. Here I will list just what weapons make good counterparts (and thus replacements) to the current set of Euro/US weapons.

Should the story of DayZ remain in Chernarus, and not move to a distant shoreline or somesuch in a later build, this list will make a very easy comparison table for the Devs to use.

There is supposedly a back story that hasn't been released yet. If it puts the mod in south america or something then all bets are off.

I'll also give modeling the weapons a go' date=' because I might as well, it'll help my own portfolio, and I like the look of a lot of these weapons.

Please note:

My own preference would be to heavily reduce the spawnrate of all NATO weaponry and also implement all these Russian counterparts with an average spawnrate, that way the NATO weapons would still exist, but not be as common as they are at the moment.

TL;DR list of weapons and possible counterparts

PISTOLS:

Glock 17 - MP-446 Viking

M9 and M9SD - APB 6P13

M1911 - None, the M1911 is heavily exported, and has existed for just over 100 years already.

PDW - Kedr PP-91

LIGHT MACHINE GUNS:

M240 - Kalashnikov PKM

M249 - Kalashnikov RPK-74

MK 48 - Degtyarov RPD

SHOTGUNS:

M1014 - Saiga 12

Remington 870 - Molot "Bekas" 12M

Winchester 1866 - None. It's not even a shotgun, it's a lever-action rifle. If anything, the Winchester 1887 Shotgun should replace it, but that's not Russian either.

SUBMACHINE GUNS:

MP5A5 - PP2000

MP5SD6 - PP2000 with Silencer

ASSAULT RIFLES

L85A2 AWS - I cannot find/think of any.

Lee Enfield - Mosin Nagant (Not that this doesn't have a petition already going or anything.)

M4A1 and its variants - AN-94 Akaban

M16A2 - Korobov TKB-517

M16A4 ACOG - Vepr AR

M16A2 M204 - OTs-14 Groza

SNIPER RIFLES

BAF AS50 - OSV-96 Anti-Materiel Rifle

Barrett M107 -ORSIS T-5000

DMR - Lobaev SVL

M14 AIM - OTs-48K

M24 - SV-98

ROCKET LAUNCHER

M136 - 9K111 Fagot

No, I'm kidding.

M136 - RPG-7

Fully detailed list with statistics and reasoning

-----PISTOLS:-----

Glock 17 - MP-446 Viking

Why?

Caliber: 9x19mm Parabellum (Same as G17)

Magazine capacity: 17 rounds (Same as G17)

Flashlight attachmen: Possible.

Ergo, more or less the same as the G-17 in terms of gameplay.

Image: http://russianmilitaryphotos.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/002skte8.jpg

--------------------

M9 and M9SD - APB 6P13

Why?

Caliber: 9x18mm Makarov PM (M9: 9x19mm, 9x19mm SD)

Magazine capacity: 20 rounds (M9: 15 rounds)

The APB has 5 more rounds per magazine than the M9 and M9SD. It uses a seperate round to the Makarov (which uses 9x18mm improved (PMM) in-game). It could be 'slightly weaker' than the M9 in-game to compensate for the larger magazines.

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/russia/hg155/1287754974.jpg

--------------------

M1911 - None.

Why not?

The M1911 is renowned worldwide, and is basically one of the most exported pistols, just as the AK series are one of the most exported rifle series. This to me indicates that there would very likely be M1911s in Chernarus. Now, before you argue that every other weapon could have been imported to Chernarus, M1911s have been around since, well, 1911. This is longer than the AK-47 has even existed. Make sense yet?

--------------------

PDW - Kedr PP-91

Why?

Caliber: 9x18mm Makarov PM (PDW: 9x19mm)

Magazine capacity: 20 or 30 rounds (PDW: 15 or 30)

Rate of fire: 800rpm

The PP-91 has 5 more rounds than the PDW's small clip, and the same amount as its large clip. In all other aspects, one could consider it almost the same as the PDW in terms of game mechanics, except that it uses the Makarov PM magazines.

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/smg/smg06/kedr1.jpg - Pictured with folded stock.

-----LIGHT MACHINE GUNS:-----

M240 - Kalashnikov PKM

Why?

Caliber: 7.62x54R (M240: 7.62x51mm)

Length: 1,160 mm (M240: 1,263 mm)

Feed: Belt; 100, 200 or 250 rounds (M240: 100)

Rate of Fire: 650rpm (M240: 750rpm)

The PKM is a very comparable machinegun to the M240 in game terms. It has a slightly lesser RoF, but could make up for it with a larger belt size and/or larger rounds.

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/machine/mg07/pkm_1.jpg

--------------------

M249 - Kalashnikov RPK-74

Why?

Caliber: 5.45x39mm (M249: 5.56x45mm NATO)

Length: 1060 mm (M249: 1,039 mm)

Feeding: 30rd AK mags, 45rd RPK mags, 100rd plastic RPK drum mags (M249: 30rd STANAG Mag, 30rd STANAG SD Mag, 200rd M249 Belt)

Rate of fire: 600rpm (M249: 800rpm)

The M249 is able to be used with STANAG mags. The RPK-74 is able to use 30-round AK-74 mags, as well as its own 45 round mags and its uncommon 100 round plastic drum mags.

Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Machine_Gun_RPK.jpg - Shown with Drum mag.

--------------------

MK 48 - Degtyarov RPD

Why?

Caliber: 7.62x39mm (MK 48: 7.62x51mm)

Length: 1037 mm (MK 48: 1,000 mm)

Feed: Belt, 100 rounds (MK 48: 100 rounds)

Rate of fire: 650rpm (MK 48: 710rpm)

Now, the biggest problem with this counterpart is the lack of a scope. RPDs are NOT commonly fitted with any kind of scope. It's possible, and sure, CoD did it, but it's not a common modification, which I'm sure RPD fans would know. For the sake of a counterpart, however, we'll assume that the RPD comes with a PSO-1/PK-AS/Kobra sight or something similar.

Image: http://www.weaponeer.net/uploads/images/1/IMG_3110_picnik.jpg - Heavily modified RPD with what looks like PSO-1 optics.

-----SHOTGUNS:-----

M1014 - Saiga 12

Why?

Semi-automatic (Same as M1014)

Gauge: 12 Ga (Same as M1014)

Length: 820 mm (M1014: 885 mm)

Magazine capacity: 8 (Same as M1014)

The Saiga 12 seems to fit the bill of the M1014 quite optimally in gameplay terms.

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/shotgun/sh07/saiga_12.jpg

--------------------

Remington 870 - Molot Bekas 12M

Why?

Gauge:12 Ga (Same as Remington 870)

Length: 1067 mm (Remington 870: Within 946 mm to 1,280mm)

Ammunition capacity: 6 rounds (Remington 870: 8 rounds)

The BekasM does not have a flashlight attachment, but this can be fixed with a little bit of tape and a spare flashlight, which in my opinion would add to the charm of the weapon. It has two shells less than the Remington.

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/shotgun/sh46/bekas_12m-1.jpg

-----SUBMACHINE GUNS:-----

MP5A5 / MP5SD6 - PP2000

Why?

Caliber: 9x19mm Parabellum/ 9x19mm Subsonic (Same as MP5A5 and MP5SD6)

Rate of fire: 600 rounds per minute (MP5A5: 800rpm, MP5SD6: 700rpm)

Magazine capacity: 30 rounds (Same as MP5A5 and MP5SD6)

Silencer capability: Yes

The PP2000 would shoot at a slower rate than both the MP5 and the silenced variant, but would have a Red Dot Sight to compensate.

Image: http://kbptula.ru/eng/str/strelk/images/pp2000_1.jpg Shown with Silencer, red dot sight, and unfolded stock.

-----ASSAULT RIFLES-----

Lee Enfield - Mosin Nagant

Why?

This is why.

--------------------

M4A1 and its variants - AN-94 Akaban

Why?

Firing Modes: Single, 2 round burst, Full. (M4A1 and variants: Single, Full)

Caliber: 5.45x39 mm (M4A1 and most variants: 5.56x45mm/5.56x45mm SD)

Magazine capacity: 30rd AK (M4A1 and variants: 30rd STANAG/30rd STANAG SD)

Rates of Fire: 1800rpm in 2 round burst mode, 600rpm in full auto. (M4A1 and variants: 700 rpm)

40mm Grenade Launcher Attachment

The AN-94 Akaban has been officially adopted as a replacement for the AK-74 series by the Russian Military, but due to economics issues, is only used by special forces at the moment.

Image: http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/article/107/1074829/an94_hires.jpg - Pictured with all attachments (except suppressor)

--------------------

M16A2 - Korobov TKB-517

Why?

Firing Modes: Single, Full

Caliber: 7.62x39mm (M16A2: 5.56x45mm)

Magazine capacity: 30rd AKM (M16A2: 30rd STANAG)

Oddly enough, through field testing, the TKB-517 was proven to be a more reliable, more accurate assault rifle than the AK series. However, it was a new and unfamiliar design, and thus the Soviet military preferred the AK series.

Image: http://img.crazys.info/files/i/2011.11.1/24317505_003.jpg

--------------------

M16A4 ACOG - Vepr AR

Why?

Firing Modes: Single, 3 round burst, Full.

Caliber: 5.45x39mm (M16A4: 5.56x45mm)

Rate of fire: 600-650rpm (M16A4 ACOG: 700 rpm)

Magazine capacity: 30rd AK (M16A4: 30rd STANAG)

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as68/vepr1.jpg

--------------------

M16A2 M204 - OTs-14 Groza

Why?

Firing Modes: Single, Full.

Caliber: 7.62x39mm (M16A2: 5.56x45mm)

Magazine capacity: 30rd AKM (M16A2: 30rd STANAG)

Rate of fire: 700 rounds per minute (Same as M16A2)

Built-in 40mm Grenade Launcher.

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as09/ots14_02.jpg

-----SNIPER RIFLES-----

BAF AS50 - OSV-96 Anti-Materiel Rifle

Why?

Caliber: 12.7x108mm (AS50: 12.7x99mm)

Operation: Rotary bolt action (AS50: Semi-auto)

Length: 1746 mm when unfolded.

Feed Mechanism: 5 rounds detachable box magazine (AS50: 10rd Mags)

Optics: PSO-1 Scope

In my replacement ideas, this is the only Anti-Materiel rifle. I mean, come on, dafuq do we need TWO different anti-materiel rifles for? And both semi-auto? Hurr.

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/sniper/sn60/v94.jpg

--------------------

Barrett M107 -ORSIS T-5000

Why?

Caliber: 7.62x51mm (M107: 12.7x99mm, which isn't even realistic)

Operation: Rotary bolt action (M107: Semi-auto)

Magazine capacity: 5 or 10 rounds (Same as M107)

Optics: DH 5-20×56 Scope

As stated before, two Anti-Materiel Rifles is a bit overkill imo, so I've put this as a counterpart. It's still a very very strong sniper rifle, capable of killing in a single shot.

Image: http://spec-naz.org/armory/images/526d7d285135e65ffd7cd86d5d786337.jpg

--------------------

DMR - Lobaev SVL

Why?

Caliber(s): varies upon customer's specification

Operation: bolt action

Barrel: varies upon customer's specification

Weight: varies upon customer's specification

Length: varies upon customer's specification

Optics: varies upon customer's specification

Feed Mechanism: 5rnd magazine

The Lobaev SVL is a very interesting weapon, as each one is made to customer specifications. This means that the Developers could essentially give it whatever stats they like.

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/sniper/sn100/lobaev_svl_4.jpg - Single shot Lobaev sniper rifle in .408 Chey-tac caliber.

--------------------

M14 AIM - OTs-48k Sniper Rifle

Why?

Caliber(s): 7.62x54R (M14: 7.62mm NATO)

Operation: Rotary bolt action (M14: Semi-auto)

Feed Mechanism: 5rnd magazine (M14: 20rd DMR Mag)

Optics: PKS-07U scope

Image: http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/sniper/sn103/ots48k.jpg

--------------------

M24 - SV-98

Why?

Calibers: 7.62x54R or 7.62mm NATO (M24: 7.62mm NATO)

Operation: Bolt action

Feed Mechanism: 10rnd magazine

Optics: PKS-07 Scope

Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/SV98.jpg

-----ROCKET LAUNCHER-----

M136 - RPG-7

Why?

The RPG-7 is an iconic rocket launcher throughout the world. Russian-made, it makes a lot more sense to be in Chernarus than the M136 in my opinion.

Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/RPG-7_detached.jpg

--------------------

Thanks for reading.

• Like 4

M4A1 vs AN94 is bad comparison, as M4A1 is a short barreled carbine, vs. AN94 being a full on assault rifle.

If you look at weight difference, AN94 is almost 1/3rd heavier than M4A1

If you want a counterpart for M4's look at AK-SU's

Rocket said this was a "social experiment," right?

Let's assume the reason for all these differing weapons is a result of the Russian/Czech Republican governments abducting 10's of thousands of people from other nations. If they plan on using this as a chemical/biological weapon, they need to see just how familiar each nation is with its or weapons, or another nations. I don't believe it should be just one nations weaponry.

It makes sense that they would "test" large groups of people, and whoever survives the biological agent is forced onto Chernarus. This would provide them with critical mission data; questions such as 'Will these people band together and fight back,' or 'Will each nationality segregate itself and war with one another," perhaps 'Each person may, upon seeing these abominations, lose all rationality and kill anyone who looks at them."

Any way I look at this mod, I keep returning to the thought that it doesn't need less of anything, it needs more. More clothing, more weapons, more vehicles, etc.

• Like 1

M4A1 vs AN94 is bad comparison' date=' as M4A1 is a short barreled carbine, vs. AN94 being a full on assault rifle.

[/quote']

agree.

AN94 should be counterpart for M16 and its variants. Why? Because AN94 is designed to be most effective as 2-shots burst rifle and m16 is 3-shot burst. minor mismatch but who cares?)

Groza should be counterpart of LA85 because they are both bullpups.

Counterpart for FN FAL might be AK-109 with 7,62×39 rounds(AKM mags).

And thus we will have 2 rare rifles with same caliber and different appearance, probably with different attachments. Wich could be found at heli crash sites only, and with ammo that could be found in military loot.

Very nice idea,

in my opinion you cant replace some 5.56mm guns with 7.62mm ones (and vice versa) because theese little 7.62mm bullets hit a lot harder.

Nevertheless, it would bring a lot of russin atmosphere to the game, I would love to see it implemented

Rocket said this was a "social experiment' date='" right?

Let's assume the reason for all these differing weapons is a result of the Russian/Czech Republican governments abducting 10's of thousands of people from other nations. If they plan on using this as a chemical/biological weapon, they need to see just how familiar each nation is with its or weapons, or another nations. I don't believe it should be just one nations weaponry.

It makes sense that they would "test" large groups of people, and whoever survives the biological agent is forced onto Chernarus. This would provide them with critical mission data; questions such as 'Will these people band together and fight back,' or 'Will each nationality segregate itself and war with one another," perhaps 'Each person may, upon seeing these abominations, lose all rationality and kill anyone who looks at them."

Any way I look at this mod, I keep returning to the thought that it doesn't need less of anything, it needs more. More clothing, more weapons, more vehicles, etc.

[/quote']

what the fuck did you just say?

good ideas. i'd personally like to see all military weapons toned down a bit, especially the sniper rifles

• Like 1

You can add also TT pistol, Nagant revolver, SKS, SVT-40 to the list.

BTW Adding more variants weapons to the list is OK.

But removing western weapons is not. Just make them more rare.

The same for silenced sniper and anti material weapon. THEY SHOULD BE EXTREMELY RARE.

Just for sake of short an medium distance firefights.

I really look forward to see theses changes in upcoming patches, it adds a lot to the realistic part (RP) of the story of dayz.

Having consumed my crispy bacon sandwich while reading this, I have to say I fully agree with your post.....of course as long as DayZ is set where it is. As other posters have stated, assuming this is a multi-national conflict, then you would have some foreign weapons hanging about in limited numbers.....and rare ammo of course.

Two exceptions

1) The Sa80 is unique to the British Armed Forces, if they were not there.....then the weapons would not be neither.

2) God's Own Battle Rifle is missing from the list. ...L1A1....( you need no other reason to put it in the mod )

The L1A1 SLR......This is the British Variant of the FN FAL, the non automatic version. And without doubt the finest battle rifle ever made.Why is it not automatic ?...because we used to get taught how to shoot straight and hit what were aiming at is why, rather than randomly spraying rounds in the vague direction where the enemy might be.

Notice I said " Battle Rifle " and not all this girly " assault rifle " malarkey.

7.62mm Nato...a mans round, a proper mans round, a proper man who drinks beer and doesn't do metrosexual grooming and learning what women want...not a girly mans round like the 5.56mm,where you carry your spare rounds in a handbag.

This argument brings British Soldiers to a boil when discussed.

• Like 1

make eastern materiel common and western rare but don't expunge it

why replace a DMR with a bolt-action rifle? that's a swap for an M24, not the DMR

I'm sorry, are there not russian weapons in arma 2 that aren't being used? Would be much easier for the devs... And quicker to release.

• Like 1

@Glock 17 - MP-446 Viking

Why would you replace the most widely used law enforcement pistol in the worldwide by a russian one which isnt even used outside Russia?

@MP5A5 / MP5SD6 - PP2000

Same here, MP5 is used worldwide, PP-2000 isnt. It came out 2004, so it hasnt even been around for long too.

Hi, why add a Korobov TKB rifle to your list? It was an early assault rifle prototype, from an ingenious engineer, but it was never produced and never saw combat. Just like his famous TBK022 bullpup design using Ak mags.

Plus, a lot of other russian weapons are present in Arma2 data files. They could be implemented, no need for extra exotic pieces of weaponry.

Soon we'll see CoD kids asking for a famas... :dodgy:

Let's assume the reason for all these differing weapons is a result of the Russian/Czech Republican governments abducting 10's of thousands of people from other nations. If they plan on using this as a chemical/biological weapon' date=' they need to see just how familiar each nation is with its or weapons, or another nations. I don't believe it should be just one nations weaponry.

+more[/quote']

I'm going to go ahead and assume i understood your assumption. I believe the current logic, behind all the weapons used - as it is always US of A came to rescue, and that's why we see so many Humvee's, and Huey's crashed etc. I don't think it was a 'chemical weapon experiment on Americans gone wrong'.

M4A1 vs AN94 is bad comparison' date=' as M4A1 is a short barreled carbine, vs. AN94 being a full on assault rifle.

[/quote']

agree.

AN94 should be counterpart for M16 and its variants. Why? Because AN94 is designed to be most effective as 2-shots burst rifle and m16 is 3-shot burst. minor mismatch but who cares?)

Groza should be counterpart of LA85 because they are both bullpups.

Counterpart for FN FAL might be AK-109 with 7,62×39 rounds(AKM mags).

And thus we will have 2 rare rifles with same caliber and different appearance, probably with different attachments. Wich could be found at heli crash sites only, and with ammo that could be found in military loot.

Yup, exactly the point.

AN94 is a two round burst, but it's an extremely accurate two round burst, due to its ingenious design.

Very nice idea' date='

in my opinion you cant replace some 5.56mm guns with 7.62mm ones (and vice versa) because theese little 7.62mm bullets hit a lot harder.

Nevertheless, it would bring a lot of russin atmosphere to the game, I would love to see it implemented

[/quote']

I don't think it should be necessarily replaced, as it should be spiced up. The spawn on the NATO weaponry should be down, while the eastern block ones should be upped.

If you were to get technical, you cant compare any of the rounds, because they're all different. Even the Russian 'Nato 5.45' is still more devastating than the US 'Nato 5.56' due to its characteristics.

Half of these arent 7.62 (shouldnt be at least) and in that case it'll be alright

You can add also TT pistol' date=' Nagant revolver, SKS, SVT-40 to the list.

BTW Adding more variants weapons to the list is OK.

But removing western weapons is not. Just make them more rare.

The same for silenced sniper and anti material weapon. THEY SHOULD BE EXTREMELY RARE.

Just for sake of short an medium distance firefights.

[/quote']

SVT-40 is such a rare weapon that i dont think it would make too much sense to put it into the game (as much as i'd love to see it). Plus it would be absolutely overpowered (essentially it's the current M14, just the Russian version of it)

There shouldn't be silenced sniper, and shouldn't be anti-material one in game.... Period.

I'd like to see more Russian weapons' date=' but I don't want to see the replacement of all U.S. weapons.

[/quote']

US weapons shouldn't be replaced, they should be showing up but at a smaller rate. Airports should be mainly spawning Eastern block weapons, not US military ones :)

@Glock 17 - MP-446 Viking

Why would you replace the most widely used law enforcement pistol in the worldwide by a russian one which isnt even used outside Russia?

Did someone's glock ego got hurt? ;)

Who cares, it shouldn't be replaced, but spiced up, anyways

"Winchester 1866 - None. It's not even a shotgun, it's a lever-action rifle. If anything, the Winchester 1887 Shotgun should replace it, but that's not Russian either."

> It's not even a shotgun,

Yes it is idiot, it fires 12 gauge slugs.

>it's a lever-action

The way in which a round is loaded into the chamber has NOTHING to do with what type of gun it is.

>rifle

No, once again, it isn't. It's a shotgun.

Maybe learn a bit more about gun classing, types, manufacturers,popularity, quality and quantity produced before you try to overhaul an entire game's weapons.

I love the idea of adding more Soviet era/Modern Russian weapons. They would after-all be very abundant in an eastern European country. The biggest problem with some of the weapons listed would be the need to model entirely new weapons. A good starting point would be to add Russian/Czech weapons that already exist within Arma 2/OA.

-AK-47 (though I'd prefer it remained as the AKM since you can adjust zeroing)

-AK-74 and AKS-74u (they are already in-game but could be made less rare)

-RPK-74

-AK-107 possibly with any number of attachments Kobra, PSO, or GP-25

-Saiga 12k

-VSS Vintorez

-PKM

As far as guns from OA that would work:

-SA-61 Scorpian

-Silenced Makarov (I think this is also available in Arma 2)

-AKS with folding stock (could potentially take less backpack space)

-Sa-58 with scopes and what-not could be added as a high-end assault rifle.

Just for the hell of it, the DSHKm or KORD could be added. All of the required parts to set one up, (tripod, gun, and ammo) would be EXTREMELY rare (and would require 2 people to carry).

And Frodevil, the Winchester 1866 was chambered for .44 rimfires (in reality) not 12 gauge slugs. The earliest repeating shotgun that Winchester manufactured was the 1887. I assume that having the gun use the existing Arma 2 shotgun ammunition mechanics was much easier, thus leading to this comfusion.

Keep in mind, this list is just one I've compiled from my own research and opinion. It's not going to suit everyone, and it certainly doesn't mean it's the best list out there, but currently it's the only list in the DayZ forums. Some of the counterparts would likely have better counterparts, but at the same time, I was trying to work these weapons towards not only being similar, but also using weapons that aren't commonly seen, to add a bit of extra flavour. The M4 was hard, because when it comes down to it, there aren't really any excellent counterparts. Well, in my opinion, at least.

Also, in my main post I stated that I would much prefer to just reduce the spawnrate of NATO weaponry while still having them exist:

Please note: My own preference would be to heavily reduce the spawnrate of all NATO weaponry and also implement all these Russian counterparts with an average spawnrate' date=' that way the NATO weapons would still exist, but not be as common as they are at the moment. [/quote']

@hishnik: I'm reading up on the AK-SU's right now, but still don't really think they're a good 'counterpart' considering they are already their own weapon in DayZ. Thoughts on AEKs/AK-102/4/5?

@Frodevil: HAH. You call me an idiot without even doing the research yourself. Congratulations, you get my moron of the thread award!