Dreganius (DayZ)

Weapon Russianization (WARNING: Big, detailed post)

It really does make sense, I spose, that in Russia the weapons are Russian. That being said, you still see non-American weapons in America and so on, but as a general rule it makes good sense!

I don't get why this is such a big deal. But if you're seeking an explanation to why there's NATO weapons in Chernarus, then here's a pretty straight forward explanation.

If you played the original Arma 2 game, you'd realise that there was a war between NATO and the Chedaki, so there's bound to be NATO weaponry in chernarus, looted by civilians, paramilitaries etc...

Of course there should be more eastern / WW II style weapons around than high grade NATO weapons, but removing all NATO weapons from the mod and replacing them with crappy Eastern weapons is just a bad idea imo..

Of course there should be more eastern / WW II style weapons around than high grade NATO weapons' date=' but removing all NATO weapons from the mod and replacing them with crappy Eastern weapons is just a bad idea imo..

[/quote']

we all know the story about low reliability of m16/m4...

and thus it would be logical why there is so few of them left or completely gone, while AKs are still around.

Of course there should be more eastern / WW II style weapons around than high grade NATO weapons' date=' but removing all NATO weapons from the mod and replacing them with crappy Eastern weapons is just a bad idea imo..

[/quote']

I'm not meaning we replace them, and neither is the OP, we're just saying that the Russian / european equivalents of a lot of the NATO weapons should be included at a higher spawn rate than the NATO guns.

we all know the story about low reliability of m16/m4...

and thus it would be logical why there is so few of them left or completely gone' date=' while AKs are still around.

[/quote']

Both the AR-15 rifles and AK rifles have chrome lined bores, are relatively rust-proof, and are easy to field strip. There's no reason why you can't properly clean either rifle and expect it to work.

That said, the M16 and M4 don't like being too dirty, while the AK series of rifles can handle harsh conditions better. If Rocket were to include gun reliability in this game somehow, that'd be pretty nifty.

And while the reliability of the M16 and M4 is usually understated (even the M16A1 was a vast improvement over the original M16), and the inaccuracy of the AK rifles is exaggerated, another important thing to consider is how easy it is to replace critical components of an AR-15 rifle with minimal tools; hell, if you want to you could just swap upper and lowers until you find a pair that works. The AK has replaceable parts too, but things like the barrel are held in place with pins that are put in with a five tonne hydraulic press: good luck replacing that when it's worn out.

Anyway, I don't exactly know where I'm going with this, but what I'd like to see in DayZ is more variety of weapons.

• Like 1

Chhernarus is pseudo ex soviet country like Ukraine and Belarus' date=' so have only 10% of russian weaponry is little weird, arma got lot's russian weapons included, but for some reason mostly US/Brit weaponry was used.

[/quote']

Bulgaria, Czech Republic or eastern germany was soviet too... I dont see much russian weaponry in their armies ;)

Ukraine and belarus dont have coastline so still its more like Montenegro/chernagora at adriatic coastline. And its ex-yugoslavian teritorry which was never soviet, and due to NATO operations, huge amount of nato weaponry was exported in this area. Believe me, BIS arent stupid, they know those locations perfectly ;) And I know the stereotype - writes in cyrilic = knows nothing but AKs; but AK is now copy-produced mainly in china and is equipped by less and less official armies (and more and more insurgents).

Its fame is gone ;)

so that make you believe, that 90% of nato weapons in ex soviet country is normal?

"Winchester 1866 - None. It's not even a shotgun' date=' it's a lever-action rifle. If anything, the Winchester 1887 Shotgun should replace it, but that's not Russian either."

> It's not even a shotgun,

Yes it is idiot, it fires 12 gauge slugs.

>it's a lever-action

The way in which a round is loaded into the chamber has NOTHING to do with what type of gun it is.

>rifle

No, once again, it isn't. It's a shotgun.

Maybe learn a bit more about gun classing, types, manufacturers,popularity, quality and quantity produced before you try to overhaul an entire game's weapons.

[/quote']

Maybe YOU should learn a bit about the Winchester line of rifles. The Winchester 1866 is not a shotgun, it's a rifle most commonly chambered in the outdated .44-40 cartridge.

Due to miscommunication, in DayZ the Winchester became a shotgun, which is flat out wrong. The only lever action 12 gauge Winchester shotgun is the 1887, which is not at all common in eastern europe. Neither is the 1866 all that common; although the .44-40 round was popular with exported and Russian produced Model 3 handguns in Russia, it's nowhere near as common as it is portrayed in DayZ.

Just as an aside, the 1866 frame couldnt actually take full size rifle rounds or shotgun rounds. The original fired something more like a revolver round.

It wasnt until browning invented the 1887 reciever that winchester produced a shotgun.

Chhernarus is pseudo ex soviet country like Ukraine and Belarus' date=' so have only 10% of russian weaponry is little weird, arma got lot's russian weapons included, but for some reason mostly US/Brit weaponry was used.

[/quote']

Bulgaria, Czech Republic or eastern germany was soviet too... I dont see much russian weaponry in their armies ;)

Ukraine and belarus dont have coastline so still its more like Montenegro/chernagora at adriatic coastline. And its ex-yugoslavian teritorry which was never soviet, and due to NATO operations, huge amount of nato weaponry was exported in this area. Believe me, BIS arent stupid, they know those locations perfectly ;) And I know the stereotype - writes in cyrilic = knows nothing but AKs; but AK is now copy-produced mainly in china and is equipped by less and less official armies (and more and more insurgents).

Its fame is gone ;)

It's not so much as to what their armies are armed with, but what are their civilians going to be armed with? What's going to be available to the average homeowner/hunter/firearm buff (if anything). We all hit the airfield bases over and over right now, but if the loot respawn mechanic wasn't in, and deerstands didn't spawn elite gear instead of hunting gear, what would we be finding in houses and barns?

[/quote']

Its fame is gone ;)

so that make you believe, that 90% of nato weapons in ex soviet country is normal?

yeah.... ussr was gone for more than 20 years when the game takes place. It´s common in real world so why not in game?

I amnot against rising diversity of weapons, i am actually for it. I am against replacing them nato guns with russian counterparts idea, because thats just stupid and ignorant on chernarus backstory.

post-soviet countries that has nato guns in military and law enforcement sphere -

armenia got $7 million supply of guns from usa in 2006

estonia modernised to nato weapons shortly after they joined nato

georgian ground forces got not even m4s but even marpats. They dont use any russian weapon

azerbaijan bought recently marauders and because of friendly state with usa, usa is main supplier

latvia joined nato and modernised, uses british dpm camo and german HKs

lithuania uses m16s and m4s and czech camo for infrantry

turkmenistan army partially (special forces) uses arx160

yes, almost all of them are using russian vehicles, so that´s why uaz is in dayz, but im not sure why the land rover is there as well(it is not gaz, its rover).

And huey sould be replaced with mi-8/mi-17 , mi-8 has even been used in civilian sector, so it would fit more.

I want more russian vehicles, but mot sure about russian weapons...I love uaz, i want some civilian version, include zgrynda from vanilla, add moskvich, lada niva and i would love to see like one new modern age car (every country has someone rich) like lada granta which is cheap car but lets say the expensive cars fled with owners or exploded :D

So I am definitely for vehicle russification but no for guns. Add some more but dont replace.

Just throwing this in here, but you know that the crashed chopper sites are representing International special forces? Also many Eastern European countries have had weapons either donated from Nato or have purchased weapons. There's plenty of M4's, m16's, Humvies, M24's, L96's, M113's, Barrets, M9's, saw's etc in Eastern European armies now this isn't 1990. Winchesters were mass exported too (Granted, they are not shot guns as depicted in game)

That said I'd like to see weapons like the scorpian, Mosin Nagant, RPK, PKM etc in game alongside the current weapon selections

Well it seems legit to me Cherarus is an soviet union

and it shouldnt have american weapons unless realy realy rare

and have more russian weapons

I would like to see more Combloc weaponry as well, such as more ak variants, especially the inclusion of the AK-74 with a POSP or PSO-1, more flavors of the same guns, like different furniture set ups, and a much more equal set up with the combloc weapons compared to the NATO weapons, where there are 5 different M4s and 3 different M16, whereas there are only two AK-74s and one AKM.

You'll have to remember also, that, assuming Chernarus is set at around our present time, many Eastern European countries were basically given truckloads of AKs and other soviet weapons, as well as the tooling to produce these weapons. It wasn't until after the collapse of the USSR that many of these countries switched to different weapons, many even NATO weapons, so these countries STILL have millions of soviet weapons that they were given or they produced, just sitting in warehouses.

I would like to see more Combloc weaponry as well' date=' such as more ak variants, especially the inclusion of the AK-74 with a POSP or PSO-1, more flavors of the same guns, like different furniture set ups, and a much more equal set up with the combloc weapons compared to the NATO weapons, where there are 5 different M4s and 3 different M16, whereas there are only two AK-74s and one AKM.

You'll have to remember also, that, assuming Chernarus is set at around our present time, many Eastern European countries were basically given truckloads of AKs and other soviet weapons, as well as the tooling to produce these weapons. It wasn't until after the collapse of the USSR that many of these countries switched to different weapons, many even NATO weapons, so these countries STILL have millions of soviet weapons that they were given or they produced, just sitting in warehouses.

[/quote']

actually, they sold them if they switched. Korea and china was quite a buyer that time ;) as well as egypt, iraq etc.

there is no point of having guns at wareouse when you train your army on completely different guns. They are just unused, takes space and money , so its best to sell them :) that happens everytime someone does modernisation - like now british army makes modernisation from harriers to f-35b and cant find any buyer for harriers. Do they have them sitting or destroyed? well partially yes but in process of selling them ;) so some aks stayed in country but majority was exported after modernisation.

actually' date=' they sold them if they switched. Korea and china was quite a buyer that time ;) as well as egypt, iraq etc.

there is no point of having guns at wareouse when you train your army on completely different guns. They are just unused, takes space and money , so its best to sell them :) that happens everytime someone does modernisation - like now british army makes modernisation from harriers to f-35b and cant find any buyer for harriers. Do they have them sitting or destroyed? well partially yes but in process of selling them ;) so some aks stayed in country but majority was exported after modernisation.

[/quote']

True, but many countries won't buy these weapons due to treaties, bans, import regulations etc.. so, if you can't sell them, what do they do? They just sit. I know many former eastern bloc countries can't sell large numbers of their surplus AK47s and 74s to us because of our regulations. I used to own an AK102, but now Arsenal of Bulgaria won't produce anymore, so I can't buy one again:(

Regardless, the number of different AKs in DayZ is disappointing, and why I've found many M14s, M21s(DMR), and m24s, yet not a single SVD, breaks my heart.

Ahem......

Chernarus Military is given WESTERN weapons and WESTERN vehicles...... ACCORDING to ARMA 2"s STORY.... "CDF forces are equipped with a mixture of Eastern and Western weaponry"

Military Weaponry spawns will stay the same with some added Eastern weaponry spawns.

Civilian weaponry should be overhauled with alot of Eastern weaponry for sure.... military weapons, no.

Definitely missing the SKS in this game, but all those new weapons are a bit overkill and tbh too much variety in weapon types & names may be confusing. Some people still can't even pronounce Makarov or Kamyshovo.

There needs to be more Russian weapons, but I would not like to see the American and NATO weapons disappear. I mean, the zombie outbreak takes place in the fictional Chernarus where there's Western forces, right?

Perhaps the spawnrate of the Russian weapons could overall be increased, while US/NATO weapons would only retain high spawnrates at the airfields? Helicopter crashes could have US/NATO weapons exclusively.

Regardless' date=' the number of different AKs in DayZ is disappointing, and why I've found many M14s, M21s(DMR), and m24s, yet not a single SVD, breaks my heart.

[/quote']

I know that feel bro. All I want is an SVD to call my own.

Regardless' date=' the number of different AKs in DayZ is disappointing, and why I've found many M14s, M21s(DMR), and m24s, yet not a single SVD, breaks my heart.

[/quote']

Dammit and I cant find my m4 with silencer or ammo for it :D and m24 would be dream. I found a ton of m16, akms, winchesters and lees but that are my least favourite guns. Hey and what about SV-98? that would be cool and it is quite used in eastern europe.

And yeah, if not sold it sits - like british harrier, but the demand of AKs is high, especially in african, arabian or south american countries and china/north korea for past 20 years. Most of AKs have been already exported there from ex-ussr. Thats why china is copy producing AK

Your wrong about the BAF A550..... theres already a KSVK Russian anti-material rifle modeled and ready to go in the vanilla game.

Also..... in the ARMA 2 Campaign the US Army/Marines invaded Chernarus. They took over military bases and probaly after the war was over probaly left a garrison of a few thousand troops equipped with Western weaponry and vehicles there. Which is why you see Huey"s and HMMWV"s every place you look. (Also the Chernarus military is given western weaponry and funding.... that is why if you play a match of Warfare in Vanilla ARMA as CDF you start with an M16)

We should not remove any Western guns' date='but add more Russian weapons yes, And everyone can have there own personal weapon of choice. Whether you like AK"s or M16"s.

[hr']

Case Closed......

Learn the story of Chernarus before making suggestions folks

That is the story of Arma, excuse if I'm wrong but I didn't realize DayZ was adhering to the Armaverse. In which case you make a good point, but if it doesn't your arguement is completely irrelavent.

That is the story of Arma' date=' excuse if I'm wrong but I didn't realize DayZ was adhering to the Armaverse. In which case you make a good point, but if it doesn't your arguement is completely irrelavent.

[/quote']

I believe that because Rocket is BIS employer and Chernarus is ArmA universe country, then day z takes place in this universe.

Chernarus = Not a real country

Chernarus = In armaverse ONLY

DAY-Z = Takes place in Chernarus which is part of ARMAverse

= Your counter arguement is irrelevant MUAHHH

(It takes place after the invasion of Chernarus...... look at all the crashed humvees)

Well chernarus is a post sovietic state.

"A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population." Its in the first page.

A Post-soviet state needs soviet weapons..

That is the story of Arma' date=' excuse if I'm wrong but I didn't realize DayZ was adhering to the Armaverse. In which case you make a good point, but if it doesn't your arguement is completely irrelavent.

[/quote']

I believe that because Rocket is BIS employer and Chernarus is ArmA universe country, then day z takes place in this universe.

Here:

There is supposedly a back story that hasn't been released yet. If it puts the mod in south america or something then all bets are off.

Argument settled. We don't know yet.

If it were in South America, then why are the street signs in Cyrillic? And why does the phrase "Ex-Soviet Republic appear in almost everywhere on the front page.