Sign in to follow this  
too-easy

Cooking in .55

I would expect to see a couple more cooking recipes added by now.

I mean really,improved cooking was a Q1 feature,by now we should be at least able to boil water in a pot...

This is a feature the game still lacks,however to my suprise i don't see people talking about it too much.

Cooking tips in 0.55 (I have tried them all)

You WILL need a cooking pot. I found a frying pan but it didnt turn the meat red so frying pans are not working. When you have your pot, go kill an animal, collect both the meat and the lard. You can now cook this 2 ways. Either with a cooking tripod which you will also need to find or you can craft a stone oven by finding 8 stones. Make your fire place, with kindling sticks and one of the following a book, a piece of paper, a rag a bandage or by getting a knife and cutting bark off of trees with thick brown trunks. You then need to stack some logs onto the fire place too, you can stack up to 5 logs on top of each other to make it last longer. If you add 4 stones, you get a nice fireplace look, but only works if you are cooking with a tripod. You do not need to add water to the pan, I never have done but after you add all 4 steaks, you add the lard which does not take up any cooking space. Light your fire or your oven and keep a close eye as it cooks faster with this patch. When the meat is ready, it actually looks like its been burned because the meat turns a very dark brown, its this color because of the lard that turns it into a nice dark steak, it will energize and slightly hydrate you when eaten and gives you more health benefits than a cold can of beans. Dont even try to catch fish yet, because as soon as you try to prepare the fish with a knife, all you get are the guts. Fish have been bugged ever since the game forced you to cook with the pot, so don't waste your time just yet. You can also put out your fire by pouring a canteen over it. If the flames go and it looks like it is about to die out, add more logs and more sticks then blow air into it and the fire will roar back up again.

There you go.

• Like 2

Already been talked about by devs a long time ago , salt was talked about for lone wolves and refrigarators (ya a little weird) by dean hall for storing meat at camps ... I think an old wooden ice box (first made refrigerators) would be a great idea , you just need to find ice ... Maybe if they add salt and bags of ice the games food storage would get way more interesting :) ... But I agree we don't need a damn pot to cook a steak , just find a nice big rock and throw it on the hot coals , throw your burger or steak on that bad Larry after it heats for ten minutes and you have a cooked steak after 25 more minutes (of course the time would be shortend in game ).

Aha, I didn't know about there had been a salt talk already. But agree with pretty much everything you said. I do carry a cooking pot when I go hiking, because I drink a lot of coffee (which they could add to the game too to give energy bonus) but it's definitely not necessary to have a pot to cook a steak or a fish. Even with the pot what I do is, I find two big rocks with a smaller than my pot sized empty space between them, and put the pot on top of it, make a fire, and then move hot coal under the pot. This is just to keep the pot clean from smut so I can put it inside my backpack. If there are no rocks around, then two thick pieces of wood will do. 

Gas stoves are the way to go.

Canister is 1 or 2 slots, depending on size; stove is 2 slots, but remains at 2 slots when combined with gas canister; cooking pot is 4 slots and can hold 4 items inside while in your pack, but when combined with stove+canister it reduces to 2 slots (why, I have no idea) while still holding the 4 items inside. Even if you don't intend to cook, they save on inventory space!

No point in cooking because food poisoning from raw meat is out. Tested with deer and human. Lard as well. I don't actually know if you get energy from lard, but it does reduce your hydration, so I'd guess it's giving some energy.

Edited by albinoclock

I didn't think lard made you sick. That being said just killing an animal for lard alone would kinda be a waste.

This is what I've noticed.

1. If I'm "healthy" status before eating raw meat, I havent gotten sick. (you can have healthy status wihtout being energized and hydrated)

2. When I get to "healthy" status before seeing the "a funny taste in my mouth", I haven't gotten sick.

3. Sometimes, when I receive the message "a funny taste in my mouth" (first stage), and get to "healing" (not healthy) status, it can go away.

I've gotten sick off of deer, chicken and boar meat, but not cow. I carry charcoal tablets around, so who needs to cook anyways?

Edited by E.J.

No point in cooking because food poisoning from raw meat is out. Tested with deer and human. Lard as well. I don't actually know if you get energy from lard, but it does reduce your hydration, so I'd guess it's giving some energy.

really?

Edited by archamedes

really?

I'm not so sure about this. You can eat raw meat without getting food poisoning, yes, but I think there's still a chance to get it. You definitely get it with more frequency from eating the guts.

You should be able to clean up the guts and cook them up.

Pig intestines are actually quite tasty.

really?

Definitely with human, though now I'm not so sure about deer and cow. I ate a whole deer and two cows and didn't get food poisoning. A couple servers later, though, I logged in and was starving to death, dying of dehydration, and had a funny taste in my mouth. I don't know if the poisoning is actually because of eating the raw meat or if it's just part of the starving/dehydrated upon login glitch.

I've definitely eaten loads of people in .55 and never gotten poisoned though.

I've definitely eaten loads of people in .55 and never gotten poisoned though.

Neither have I.

AHAHAhahaHAHAHAHAAhaha.

never got food poisoning eating raw meat til i hit the green energised marker any raw meat after that almost always gives me food poisoning 
human deer and cow have not found a pig yet 

I disagree with the change which requires cooking hardware in order to create a meal with meat and fire. It doesn't make sense in a survival simulation, it makes more sense for a cooking simulator.

In a survivial situation, if a person has meat and is able to create fire, that's all that is required to get a very good meal.

For gameplay purposes, cooking hardware could perhaps add a nutritional bonus to the prepaired food, but it should not take away the player's ability to simply roast meat over a fire with a stick.

Edited by OACKosh
  • Like 1

For gameplay purposes, cooking hardware could perhaps add a nutritional bonus to the prepaired food, but it should not take away the player's ability to simply roast meat over a fire with a stick.

Definitely this. I've cooked steaks on a fire without a pot and a tripod and all this nonsense and it tasted quite the opposite of ruined. It tasted like a damn good steak.

FYI, cooking pots are easier to find now. Found two today within 20 minutes.

FYI, cooking pots are easier to find now. Found two today within 20 minutes.

Everything is easier to find now....

did they fix anything this wednesday? or is cooking still kind of bugged? is roasting meat with a stick already in or postponed till .56?

Edited by InvincibleThroughDC

As far as I know they are using the old loot spawn system again (therefore stuff is easier to find) and enababled persistence on all servers.

No new mechanics. Need to wait for the next update.

I tried to cook last night and the logs would not stack and the fire went out in about 30 seconds with 2 logs, not long enough to cook a mouse.