anderswhk

Spamjoining full servers

I'm mostly talking about 50/50 servers, which are already under stress. There are quite a few very popular servers which are full 24/7, and having a chance at playing there means spamming "Enter" to get in. But so are a lot of other people.

I was wondering if spam joining full servers have any sort of negative impact on the performance of said server?

Have the developers considered using the same kind of "que" system that Source engine games use, where it pings the server for a slot every 10 seconds instead of every second manually? Would make getting on a high pop server less of a hassle.

Edited by anderswhk

Queue would be awesome.  Save me mashing the spacebar to "Connect" > "Restart / Retry" > "Connect" > "Restart / Retry" > "Connect" > "Restart / Retry" > "Connect" > "Restart / Retry" > "Connect" > "Restart / Retry" > "Connect" > "Restart / Retry" > "Connect" > "Restart / Retry" > "Waiting...." > I'm in! :)

Yes they do.

You can actually que via the steam server browser currently afaik (although it's not ideal), add server to favorites, alt+tab to steam, view > servers > favorites > connect to server > auto retry. I find I'm still often beaten by others though.

• Like 3

Had one of the private servers we play on crash about 5 times in an hour pretty sure it had alot to do with this. The lineup to get the 50th spot seemed endless.

This happened to the Experimental servers when vehicles were first released. Otherwise the issue mainly affects private servers as people cannot access their characters otherwise - even more xso when playing with friends. The alternative is playing on public hive with server hopping still running wild.

That's one reason while having only completely disconnected servers is a very bad idea. Now the public hive shows what happens if you make switching too easy... Everything in moderation.

This happened to the Experimental servers when vehicles were first released. Otherwise the issue mainly affects private servers as people cannot access their characters otherwise - even more xso when playing with friends. The alternative is playing on public hive with server hopping still running wild. That's one reason while having only completely disconnected servers is a very bad idea. Now the public hive shows what happens if you make switching too easy... Everything in moderation.

I actually see no point in interconnecting the servers what so ever. it doesn't bring anything unique other then a load of potential exploits. Unless they were to go the MMO path and make each server a seperate 'instance' containing different portions of the map that you would change instance upon reaching the edge of one map to another, imho theres no point. sharing your gear and location across multiple servers doesn't improve gameplay.

• Like 1

You mean aside from being able to play with your character when your server is full or offline, a greater loot economy (there is a huge difference between ""somewhere out ther is that SVD" and "there is a 1% chance of an SVD on this server"), a greater interconnected community (different player types, being able to meet most characters even though they played separately), a chance to experience most of the game with a single character (which means casual players might still have a chance to reach later game stages) and of cause no more need to spamjoin full servers.

There is so much more potential as soon as you get rid of server hopping. There is no need to deny that potential for the sake of... what actually? Private servers are mainly good for playing with different rulesets. And at the moment they are a refuge for people sick of server hoppers just as 1st person servers serve as a refuge for people sick of peeking. Fix those things and there is no reason to not have interconnected servers.