Vault Boy

DayZ Spawn System...

Hey guys, I was just wondering whether anyone knows anything about the spawn system potentially changing, if so when? I feel that more inland spawns would be better and would give people more of an incentive to travel inland to the different cities, villages and towns etc thus taking some action inland as well. Obviously I understand that people could just spawn by an airfield and then go straight there but maybe restrict some areas inland, or even keep it to the East coast and Eastern inland area at the bare minimum.

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Vault Boy

Spawning is always on the coast. Hey wait until all is persistence and there is hardly any food, weapons or other supplies you need at the coast. People will start travelling and Electro, Cherno will be empty of bambi killers.

Edited by TuranArek

Spawning is always on the coast. Hey wait until all is persistence and there is hardly any food, weapons or other supplies you need at the coast. People will start travelling and Electro, Cherno will be empty of bambi killers.

Yeah that's true. They will have to travel inland then I suppose. I still would like to see a little change though, it would be more fun to expect a battle in every town but terrifying at the same time haha.

Edited by Vault Boy

What do you mean by this: "wait until all is persistence"? What does this mean? How will this effect items? 

I see people talking about persistence a lot but I can't for the life of me makes heads or tails of what it all means. There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies and a general lack of information out there on the subject.

They should really just add inland spawns (excluding vybor/nwaf).

This would solve the massive imbalance between population in areas on coast vs inland.

• Like 1

They should really just add inland spawns (excluding vybor/nwaf).

This would solve the massive imbalance between population in areas on coast vs inland.

Except that the imbalance isn't a gameplay problem. It's actually quite a good feature, and doesn't need fixing. At all.

• Like 1

Players have little to no threat in basically every central/eastern inland town because over 90% of the players in my experience take a certain loot route

(Cherno-Balota-Pavlovo-Zeleno-GM-Vybor) or this (Novod-Severograd-NWAF-Vybor)

If they arent on those routes they are very likely on the coast not bothering to explore when they can get their action right where they spawn.

Perhaps we wont need new spawn locations if we get a very large player count...100 players max? (i dread finding loot on these servers..would have to craft 100% of my gear)

Any southeast coast spawns lead to boring fistfights or running with nothing for 10 minutes. Berezino is the welfare gear pvp zone, Elecktro is the universal pvp zone with tons of hackers.

Oh if you have trouble with loot just head inwards 1 town, regardless of how many people there are noone even bothers with them

Edited by varobun
  • Like 1

No thanks, I don't want to constantly run in to bunch of freshpawn because some lazy bums don't have any incentive to walk further inland on their own.

• Like 1

Not all spawns are coastal.

They may tweak the locations over time but I doubt it's a priority really.

We have a long way to go until 1.0 ladies and gents.

I have noticed more in land spawns.

Maybe the devs will one day implement a completely randomized procedural spawn system where a random number is assigned at spawn and that number determines your spawn coordinates anywhere in the map.

You then have to figure out where you are for the first 20 minutes or so.

• Like 2

I have noticed more in land spawns.

Maybe the devs will one day implement a completely randomized procedural spawn system where a random number is assigned at spawn and that number determines your spawn coordinates anywhere in the map.

You then have to figure out where you are for the first 20 minutes or so.

I agree who really cares if someone spawns at nwaf... It does not hurt balance.. This is a game where u die u lose all.

So what if u spawn and find an ak right away.. Next life u may spawn in the middle of no where.

What they need to fix is the suicide spam.

I think you should be stuck with the same spawn area for an hour or so.

If spawns are random it isn't like people will actively camp them.

This way suicide only works after an hour and u can get anywhere on the map in that time

What do you mean by this: "wait until all is persistence"? What does this mean? How will this effect items? 

I see people talking about persistence a lot but I can't for the life of me makes heads or tails of what it all means. There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies and a general lack of information out there on the subject.

It is easy. Now every restart you can pick up all you want, and then it is gone. Then presistance come and stuff we respawn somewhere anywhere and less loot to find. If all plunder a City there is nothing left and take time untill new stuff spawns in. Restarting the server won't help.

I agree who really cares if someone spawns at nwaf... It does not hurt balance.. This is a game where u die u lose all.

So what if u spawn and find an ak right away.. Next life u may spawn in the middle of no where.

What they need to fix is the suicide spam.

I think you should be stuck with the same spawn area for an hour or so.

If spawns are random it isn't like people will actively camp them.

This way suicide only works after an hour and u can get anywhere on the map in that time

you can already spawn and get an AK.

i've done it at pavlovo spawn near novo.

nwaf isn't even the highest military loot area. what about 4 barracks base? nwaf only has 2, not to mention 4 barracks is close to 2 more at zeleno, not to mention choppers.

not to mention that nwaf is far more dangerous from zombies as well as how open parts of it are. 

Edited by Wookieenoob

you can already spawn and get an AK.

i've done it at pavlovo spawn near novo.

nwaf isn't even the highest military loot area. what about 4 barracks base? nwaf only has 2, not to mention 4 barracks is close to 2 more at zeleno, not to mention choppers.

not to mention that nwaf is far more dangerous from zombies as well as how open parts of it are. 

Was just using it as an example. I was not saying it is the best place for loot 

Random spawns are a bad idea, a bad idea that's somehow become more acceptable with the illusion that the "loot economy" will change everything. Or that somehow you can put a no-spawn radius around an airfield. Or that somehow you can prevent people from spawning within five feet of my well-hidden tent.

Any advantage conferred by the simple act of spawning is unacceptable to me, and I'm not entirely sure why people pursue it so much. What would it really add to the game?

Would it spread people out more? Maybe. But the same can be done via a variety of different approaches, none of which are so blunt as just plopping people down willy nilly. That is really the only upside to random inland spawns that I can see, and the same result can be accomplished via other more subtle means which actually benefit gameplay (i.e. mobile resources, evolving threats, dynamic loot allocation, etc.)

People should be spawning on the eastern coast and working their way inland to the high-value areas which are neatly arrayed in a nice line on the WEST side of the map. I could handle the southern coast spawns as a necessary evil to get people into Elektro and Cherno again in lieu of more attractive alternatives. But certainly nothing random.

I'm happy with the spawns as they are, I see no reason or benefit to adding inland spawns.

So long as you have persistent server items (i.e. tents, constructed buildings, storage containers, vehicles, etc.) you cannot have random spawning. Nothing is to prevent someone from spawning atop, within 50m, or within 500m of the fortress you and your friends took the time to set up. A player should have to work to approach that location, not just chance entirely into it.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

I like that we spawn mostly on the coast.
It means when you encounter a player inland they are likely to make survival decisions rather than make the decision to run at you no matter what because there are no consequences.
I have encountered players at the most unexpected towns inland.

If people have trouble getting from the coast to any other location inland they need more practice.

Yeah that's true. They will have to travel inland then I suppose. I still would like to see a little change though, it would be more fun to expect a battle in every town but terrifying at the same time haha.

I prepare for battle at every single town. So many times I have run into a building and found a person who then tries to pull out their gun but can't because I shot them in the face since my gun was ready.
Part of the fun is never knowing which towns are empty and which towns have someone hiding in a corner of a building.

Random spawns are a bad idea, a bad idea that's somehow become more acceptable with the illusion that the "loot economy" will change everything. Or that somehow you can put a no-spawn radius around an airfield. Or that somehow you can prevent people from spawning within five feet of my well-hidden tent.

Any advantage conferred by the simple act of spawning is unacceptable to me, and I'm not entirely sure why people pursue it so much. What would it really add to the game?

No they are aware that it would at times potentially allow for spawning extremely close to an airfield or other high value area and they are fine with that randomized possibility.

The one thing this type of system would add is randomness the one thing the game needs the most at the moment.

With set spawns we will see peoples behavior continue to formulate the same way, they will loot their already pre chosen favorite locations, and then gravitate towards their favorite areas to pvp.

No they are aware that it would at times potentially allow for spawning extremely close to an airfield or other high value area and they are fine with that randomized possibility.

The one thing this type of system would add is randomness the one thing the game needs the most at the moment.

With set spawns we will see peoples behavior continue to formulate the same way, they will loot their already pre chosen favorite locations, and then gravitate towards their favorite areas to pvp.

Cool that they're fine with it, I'm not. It's a flawed approach and entirely undercuts the worth of persistence, which is already incredibly marginalized with the ever shrinking confines of the map. Why would I devote time to setting up a fortress if some newspawn has to expend zero time and effort to find it, because he/she just chanced into a spawn two feet from my stash? It's already tremendously easy to disperse along the entirety of the map, random spawning is a solution to dispersal... but it's the shittiest of the solutions.

Again, "randomness" whatever you mean by that, can be achieved via other more wholesome means that actually deepen the world in which we play. Not just "We need people here! Spawn em'!"

Encouraging people to go places dynamically is what I want to have happen. Not just plopping them down randomly at destinations. I want to have a reason to trek across the entire map to a variety of locations, not just get plopped next to NWAF because randomness. Said reasons are diverse - dynamic allocation of loot (i.e. loot that favors one area or another on-the-fly), dynamic allocation of fixed map resources (i.e. gasoline), dynamic threat environments (i.e. zombie horde and zombie density), player-created environments (i.e. outposts), etc.

For one, random spawning solves a "problem" that isn't a problem to begin with. People have been spawning at fixed spawns along the coast and have been using the entirety of the map in free-form ways since DayZ has existed.

Secondly, if you want to further encourage this free-form gameplay, you have to provide incentive for players to travel. Which there is very little as it stands today.

Third, once the player count is upped... the chance of random encounters will also increase.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

.....snip.....

Your arguments are superbly, logically constructed from the left to right viewpoint of the MDA framework and would make any game designer worth their salt proud. I wish I could give you an entire truckload of beans.

• Like 1