mrbeaneater

U.S. & Russian Fed. Weapons

I've seen other threads on weapons and alot of people want the weapons to feel more common to the region and more civilian grade weapons rather than military. It wouldn't bother me with the weapons being realistic or not but then an idea struck me, what if Dayz took place after Operation Red Harvest in Arma 2? I found not exact proof but its something.

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Chernarus

Check out the link and look under the Reference tab, if this were true it wouldn't be crazy to find guns like maybe a M16A4 or Bizon PP-19 maybe put some abandoned U.S. or Russian bases where they would only spawn but of course the devs have alot going on so i wouldn't care if this was a definate but i thought i'd post it and see what you guys think.

• Like 5

I wouldn't be against it personally, but a lot of people will be. I could see them being there, as you said left over from Harvest Red, but people will complain this isn't "ArmAZ" and that we don't need more military weapons. We'll see what others say...

The timeline hasn't really been fleshed out yet, but I think the majority consensus is that it does take place after the events of Arma2 (one of the devs said it's at least 2013 in DayZ, possibly later).  One theory is that it's in it's own timeline where Red Harvest never occurred, which would explain a lack of Foreign (non CDF) forces in Chenarus aside from helicopter crashes.  The other way to explain that is that US and Russian forces left after the crises was over (with the US selling some of their equipment as par the course, explaining the Humvees, and the CDF already uses a majority of Soviet/Russian equipment anyway).

• Like 3

There are field hospitals and barracks erected in the NWAF as well as what looks like a reserve military accomodation across the area.  Irrespective as to whether Military intervention occurred prior to the outbreak regarding some domestic crisis, or whether any real military force was present in whole or part prior to the outbreak, I think it's pretty safe to say from the sheer amount of military zombies, structures and now abandoned vehicles, that someone was called in to quell the situation / quarantine and whatever security force was deployed, have now turned.

There was some kind of military force present.  It's undisputable.  There really should be a broad swathe of weapons within the zone.

The standard retort to the 'we don't need more mil-weapons' is along the lines of civilian weapons being somewhat more homogenous in their function and aesthetic.  The demand for military guns is valid in my opinion, but that doesn't mean i want an overpoch environment with every 3 steps giving me enough zafir's to duct tape into some kind of nazi railway cannon.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

I half suspect the "no mil gear" crowd are people who like to legitimize their reasons for never leaving the coast.

I hope not.

If that were the case then Standalone would just be Arma 2 + zombies like the mod.

Well im sure they wouldn't put in any of the op weapons like the M107 or AS50 but maybe like a one or two assault rifles or smgs and maybe, but unlikely, one type of sniper like the M24 or SVD.

Most of the stuff you see in ArmA 2 is fairly standard equipment for both sides and I don't see any reason why we won't get it again in DayZ.

However, some loadouts, like the Russians that use AK-107s, are a little more odd. The 107 would certainly be cool to have in the future, but it's not really necessary considering we already have four AK variants as it stands. And personally if they were going to do more AK related rifles I'd rather have something different, like an AK-105 or AN-94, over an experimental rifle.

Bizon is a personal must have.

I really want to see some abandoned battle ground that could be a nod to Harvest Red with M1 Abrams, M2 Bradley and T-90,T-72, BMP husks ala Battle of 73 Easting. I really want to see tank husks have an option to crawl in to hide from others or scavenge for supplies.

I love a variety of weapons, be it civilian or military. Its things like thermal scopes I find add a unfair advantage and shouldn't be added

• Like 2

Look, can someone actually tell me what are the HUMVEE wreckages spread around the map?

Aren't these USA jeeps? Then the military forces went more far than flying with helis at Chernarus? They possibly had a base somewhere or these were dropped off with planes, or a ship?

What will these humvees have? Are they for design? I highly doubt so.

Edited by Yazar8

Look, can someone actually tell me what are the HUMVEE wreckages spread around the map?

Aren't these USA jeeps? Then the military forces went more far than flying with helis at Chernarus? They possibly had a base somewhere or these were dropped off with planes, or a ship?

What will these humvees have? Are they for design? I highly doubt so.

They're just wrecks, leftover game assets from Arma2 and the mod.  They could be explained away as US military surplus sold to CDF after the war (The US sells off a lot of it's equipment rather than shipping it back), or even purchased by CDF before the war (unlikely being closer to Russia and a former Soviet State they'd probably stick to whats closer and what they know).  It'd be tedious to go and replace every Humvee wreck already in the game with a UAZ wreck durring alpha.

They're just wrecks, leftover game assets from Arma2 and the mod.  They could be explained away as US military surplus sold to CDF after the war (The US sells off a lot of it's equipment rather than shipping it back), or even purchased by CDF before the war (unlikely being closer to Russia and a former Soviet State they'd probably stick to whats closer and what they know).  It'd be tedious to go and replace every Humvee wreck already in the game with a UAZ wreck durring alpha.

While your first point is the more likely one (if there is really any real reason other than they just wanted to make use of more wreck models so you weren't seeing the same ones everywhere), I'd like to concur your second point.

HMMWVMap.png

This is a (portion of a) map of current HMMWV/Humvee operators, and the vast majority of them in Europe are Eastern or Central European countries that would've been under the influence of the Warsaw Pact, just like Chernarus. They're surprisingly popular with certain groups out there, especially special forces, so it's not unreasonable to say they were legitimately interested in having their own HMMWVs.

However, the reason your first point is more valid is simply because they didn't have any HMMWVs during ArmA 2, so it's far more likely anything they had would've been purchased from stocks after the conflict.

• Like 1

I'd love to see some more 7.62mm battle rifles like a FAL or G3, be they brought from foreign UN guys or sold to Chernarus.

• Like 2

This whole "this gun can't be in because muh lore" is stupid. The more variety the better and it doesn't really matter if it makes sense like StG44 and MG42 or L85 and G36. All this does is it makes it harder to find a weapon and a corresponding mag for it, which is better, simply because of the variety.

• Like 1

Chernarus and Russia aren't exactly on good terms, considering one invaded the other, supported an insurgent group attempting to topple the government, then cock blocked the USMC out of doing anything meaningful for them.

Chernarus and Russia aren't exactly on good terms, considering one invaded the other, supported an insurgent group attempting to topple the government, then cock blocked the USMC out of doing anything meaningful for them.

You use what's readily available.  IE Daesh (ISIS hates that name so I use it) using OUR Humvees that we gave to the Iraqis.  Before the war I would imagine that Russia was more than willing to sell Chenarus pretty much anything they could afford.  Now that you said that, it would make more sense to start seeing Humvees around post war, being on cool terms with their major weapons supplier.  Weapons systems are a bit harder to replace than vehicles, as what are you going to do with your stockpiles of AKs, 7.62x39,54r, 5.45, ect.  They could even be doing a Finland, where they have their own variants of Russian weapons and most (not all, think their SpecFor adopted a 5.56 rifle recently) of their weapons using 7.62x39 and 54r so they can use captured Russian supplies.  I mean shit the Chinese PLA are making their versions of Humvees, mostly with American imported parts but they're slowly making their own engines and replacement parts.

I half suspect the "no mil gear" crowd are people who like to legitimize their reasons for never leaving the coast.

That might be the ideal in some cases.  However as a longtime survivor and hardly never being on the coast, I have an opposite outlook.  I prefer to go down the path of more primitive/crafting weaponry.  I care for the living off the land vs looting.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 4

That might be the ideal in some cases.  However as a longtime survivor and hardly never being on the coast, I have an opposite outlook.  I prefer to go down the path of more primitive/crafting weaponry.  I care for the living off the land vs looting.

perfectly valid play style. 

Wish there were more supporters of "get off the coast and explore the map" than "no more mill gear"

• Like 1

This whole "this gun can't be in because muh lore" is stupid. The more variety the better and it doesn't really matter if it makes sense like StG44 and MG42 or L85 and G36. All this does is it makes it harder to find a weapon and a corresponding mag for it, which is better, simply because of the variety.

I 100% agree, one thing I always liked about DayZ is very little back story/lore, you are just there. also +1 for StG44!

You use what's readily available.  IE Daesh (ISIS hates that name so I use it) using OUR Humvees that we gave to the Iraqis.  Before the war I would imagine that Russia was more than willing to sell Chenarus pretty much anything they could afford.  Now that you said that, it would make more sense to start seeing Humvees around post war, being on cool terms with their major weapons supplier.  Weapons systems are a bit harder to replace than vehicles, as what are you going to do with your stockpiles of AKs, 7.62x39,54r, 5.45, ect.  They could even be doing a Finland, where they have their own variants of Russian weapons and most (not all, think their SpecFor adopted a 5.56 rifle recently) of their weapons using 7.62x39 and 54r so they can use captured Russian supplies.  I mean shit the Chinese PLA are making their versions of Humvees, mostly with American imported parts but they're slowly making their own engines and replacement parts.

I think post-Harvest Red CDF should reflect the Ukrainian National Guard/Georgian Armed Forces more than anything. A varied mix of Warsaw and second hand western equipment.

On the subject, I know they added the AK101, is it a crashsite only (east or west) or does it spawn at any military site?  If its found anywhere that can be evidence that they're 'Westernizeing' their military along with Humvee wrecks.

On the subject, I know they added the AK101, is it a crashsite only (east or west) or does it spawn at any military site?  If its found anywhere that can be evidence that they're 'Westernizeing' their military along with Humvee wrecks.

Barracks only for the time being

Last time i saw a ak101 was when they still had that military camp across the street from balota airfield but that was a while back.