lucianpin

Full auto weapons have nothing to do with Cernarus atmosphere, nor survival lifestyle

Guns are extremely lethal, and should reflect that in the game. 

I've never used an M4 so I can only speak for the AKM. One will often work except on people in military gear, but since you've got an automatic, just fire 2-3 rounds, or hit them in the head if you can. 

Just asking, because despite my many hours is SA all of my firefights have been 2-3 shots in 4 seconds and then done. It appears to me that all weapons are much more lethal.

For example a Mosin class weapon required at least 2 hits at point blank, with a 50/50 chance of unconsciousness with every hit, AKM 3-4ish, 5.45m 4-5ish.

If all weapons are nearly instant death, why worry about full auto when one bullet will do the trick?

Besides, like the mod before it, full auto is just a way to waste bullets in Dayz. Given the option I would always set my stuff to semi.

I can confirm that full auto weapons will kill you in exactly one second from 5 meters even if you are in military gear and healty. This was all about. From 50 - 100 meters I have time to take cover and so on. In close combat, full auto almost always wins assuming both players have the same reaction time and skill.

Dude! Russia! Plenty of Kalasjnikovs. And they are fully automatic. Yes. Deal with it.

And yes I would like to see less gun spawns in general and they should be damaged and rusty and shit so they don't work so perfectly, weapons need maintenance.

Well Kalasjnikovs always work :thumbsup:

Edited by EvilTigerAce

When in the midle of a town, you have no chance when someone is shooting at you with a fully automatic weapon. You really cann't defend yourself. This is so realistic indeed, but I think this kind of weapons is an exaggeration for a survival game where you find all kind of old weapons or vehicles on a russian land. Why this game should be so unbalanced? It is good the diversity of the weapons, but more balance would be great.

Full auto weapons should only be present in games like Arma 2/3 where people play in large squads and all angles can be secured.

I think that situations like this when two survivors are sprayed by an automatic weapon is not specific for a survival game where people would want to go finshing and hunting.

Either all automatic weapons are so pupular that everyone would have one, or automatic weapons do not exist so that everyone that is walking and is hit or hears gun shoots would have at least a second chance.

You lose any sort of balance when the game becomes realistic, which it is. Unfortunately, you just have to adapt to the game and others play styles and not focus 100% on survival. Empty/roleplay servers are best for that style of play.

I wasn't really precise with my statement. What I meant was that with the loot spawning, it won't be as easy to find whatever you need as it was before, because loot will be distributed randomly among the spawn points in a certain area. E.g. currently the AK-Family mainly spawns in barracks, so server hoppers exactly know their spots where to look for what they need and as soon as they've been trough them, they leave. With the new loot distibution it won't be that easy anmore.

Your statement is not 100% correct. Yes, they want "server hopping" but not the kind of server hopping everyone complains about. What you are probably thinking of, is that somebody logs in/out near a military area or any other rare loot spawn, checks the good places and leaves. As far as I understood the devs, they want you to join different servers (servers where you don't have your base or vehicle) and search for loot there. Since it's distibuted independatly from the spawn points, it's a more challenging hunt for the items. It's not the classsical, "I join the server, loot 2 min and leave"-hopping. It's more like the: "oh crap I need a 'xyz' for my vehicle. I'll join another server and see if I can find one there because here on my current server I've checked all the sourrounding places"-hopping.

Their main goal is to ensure that you also visit other servers and don't just stay on one server where you have your base.

Yeah, which is server hopping and is the worst idea they've had yet.  Just my opinion.

When was that? Weapon damage was highly increased a couple months ago. It used to take that much if they had body armor on sometimes.

Within the last 2 patches, not sure exactly when.

Yeah actually, that is smart.. In fact, other than introducing a longer and longer timer, it is the only intelligent way to prevent server hopping in high loot areas that I have seen. Cleared out a barracks, checked the area is clear, go looting, killed by a guy spawning behind you... That is bullshit and you know it. So why not stop them being able to do that? If they had to make that run from 1km out from the barracks then they may well start playing properly rather than gearing up on low pop then running to their favourite PVP zone..

Oh and there is no need to be quite so rude or arrogant in your responses, if I was incorrect then fine, but don't start your post like you did when I was just throwing out an idea. What would you do to prevent the server hopper issue good sir? 

And finally, do you happen to have a rough idea when the dev report with the details about the loot would have been posted? I would like to read it in full.

Edit: For some reason I typed "incorrect" as "in correct".. Changed it. 

People are going to spawn behind you everywhere, how else are people going to enter the server?  You can never stop that.  I logged in getting run down by some d-bag just yesterday.  Then again, I also caught a duper logging out and logging back in to dupe yesterday as well.  So I guess things work both ways.  Also, who are you to say what style of play is proper?  Devs encourage server hopping, it's gonna be a feature in the future.  Why would they try to "fix" it? 

You are getting very personal and wrong. The scope of this thread is very clear - to discuss about full auto weapons and their power in this game. I don't care about illegal weapons from Ukraine - if you explore a 14 square kilometers random in Ukraine it is very possible not to find any weapon lol. I don't care about your comparison with REALITY. This thread is simple, how many auto weapons should be present in this game not in Ukraine or if DayZ could have no auto weapons. Is that simple. Thank you for your opinion.

Tomorrow a game with name UkraineZ could be released with no auto weapons and you can't tell me that this game sucks, it is not realisitc - we have zombies in the first place.

How hard is it to imagine an army, who all have weapons, turning into zombies and leaving all the weapons, because zombies don't know how to use them?  There was no period of time or cleanup period between the war and the outbreak, they happened simultaneously.  It only makes sense that there are weapons in all the military spots.  What doesn't make sense, is that you can't loot military zombies.  They should be a little harder to kill, but you can get a damaged vest or a sidearm out of it if you can.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Last night I killed a guy with an M4A1 near Zeleno in the forest and did hide body with the weapon. I got my satisfaction. His friend killed me (wtih another M4A1) and he was mad about the M4A1 lost :) Yey! One less M4A1 :)

That's just going to respawn lol.  You didn't get rid of anything.

They should be a little harder to kill, but you can get a damaged vest or a sidearm out of it if you can.  Just my opinion.

That isn't being done not because of any balance or gameplay reasons but because it'd have a hit on performance to render zombies that you could get equipment off of with said gear appearing (acting like a player.)

They have tossed around the idea of just putting lootable gear into the zombies' inventory that just wouldn't affect the corpse model after being taken, though.

Putting higher concentrations of zombies around these loot areas in combination with a lower spawn chance for these weapons / ammo would do the trick. I'll stick with my Repeater either way :)

Remember though, server settings also dictate the frequency you see these firearms. Most servers treat Day Z like a common FPS at the moment. 24/7 Daylight & Sunny, etc. More hardcore servers will appear as more survival mechanics get put in place.

If youll excuse me, going hunting in the northern forests now!

I wouldn't mind that idea.. what if they took it further and forced all spawn points to be randomly placed outside of the town you logged out of... running back in wouldn't take that long, but it would help with getting ghosted.

Might be onto something here with the No-Spawn zones around towns or structures.  Kind of like after a death you have certain places that you can spawn, they should just have many more places to spawn.  It could just spawn you back into a server at the closest available point, perhaps checking availability based on  proximity of other players and AI.

I actually really like that idea. I know it probably wouldn't be accepted by the majority but it is a good idea to stop the ghosting and such like. Besides, logging off in a town is a terrible idea, best to go find a tree or something to hide in! But I definitely think the idea of spawning you outside of the military zones is a good one, yes its not perfect and yes it may only be 1km to run but its that 1km the server hopper will have to run and potentially be seen. And as the hoppers wont exactly be proficient in dealing with players seeing as they are clearly doing the easy option, hopefully they will get murdered and lose their precious gear!

And then when you get in a fight, you just log off and back on in a completely random location.  Or in the idea of a random area around the town, you have a chance to instantly flank them etc

You lose connection because the server hiccupped or your connection did and the same deal, now you're across the map from your friends or you just spawned in infront of some random guy.

These are bad ideas.

You can already get around server hoppers by just playing a private shard.  I understand reservations on that front, I'd prefer to play public too, but there is a choice.

And then when you get in a fight, you just log off and back on in a completely random location.  Or in the idea of a random area around the town, you have a chance to instantly flank them etc

You lose connection because the server hiccupped or your connection did and the same deal, now you're across the map from your friends or you just spawned in infront of some random guy.

These are bad ideas.

You can already get around server hoppers by just playing a private shard.  I understand reservations on that front, I'd prefer to play public too, but there is a choice.

I'm not sure if server-hoppers was the only issue this idea was meant to help soften.  Just the chance of logging in to an already occupied space is a tear in the reality of the game.  Dying by choosing to join a server at the random moment that someone is also in the same building or room sounds like a design oversight.  Having a mechanic in place to prevent such mishaps would reduce the amount of deaths by uncontrollable circumstances, and hopefully help keep the game enjoyable while keeping our survival related to skill rather than luck.

I acknowledge that this could also bring problems in the way of people camping known spawn locations outside of any given town.  Or as you mentioned, people combat logging will have a chance to be given an advantage by their random relocation; but it would also hinder server-hoppers repeatedly looting the same building. It would also encourage exploration and add challenge by forcing players to re-orient themselves upon each login.  Now that I think of it, maybe any logout should just spawn players randomly in the vicinity of the logout, rather than in the exact place.  500 meters sounds about right.

As far as the design and development of the game goes, making all public servers playable should be a priority.  Maybe now it is acceptable to refer people seeking a solid play experince to the private servers, but the public servers need to be stable and as secure as possible by full launch.  Hopefully we will see reasonable fixes for duping, ghosting and other forms of logging abuse.  Then we can get back to arguing about weapon availabilities and the other finer balancing issues.

Yeah, which is server hopping and is the worst idea they've had yet.  Just my opinion.

Well, it's not the same server hopping though...

Version 1:

- Check the good spawn places

- Log out

This proces takes about 2-3 minutes and with the current low server switch timer you can visit a lot of servers in a short period of time and gather all the good loot because it only spawns in a few places.

Version 2:

- Search THE WHOLE AREA because there won't be a certain building anymore that spawns rare items exclusively (new loot distribution)

- Eventually log onto another server if search was not sucessfull, otherwise go back to server where base is

This version of hopping takes probably 30-60 min per server and will not have the negative side effects of hopping version 1. In version 1 hopping is extremely frustrating for non-hoppers because good loot is probably taken by the hoppers.

Edited by degude