Sign in to follow this  
AtotehZ

Standalone updated enough?(since Sep '14)

Hello guys,

It's a while since I've been here. I was excited about the DayZ Standalone and felt like I got let down when it finally come out. Then I forced myself to give it a chance last year, but..

I had only played around 10 minutes till I entered a garage with zombies running after me(grey building, single car size). Instead of following me in there they stood at the entrance, and killed me by hitting air at the doorway. I got knocked down in one of the first punches and then they killed me even though none of them were anywhere near me. That's where I understandably 'rage'quit.

Have issues like that been addressed now? Is the mod still recommended?

Edited by AtotehZ

I highly suggest taking a read through here.  Things have improved vastly and are just getting better imho.  The upcoming sneak peaks and dev snip its just shine the hardwork being put through. 

• Like 2

This particular thing hasn't happened to me 0.54. Zombies seem to run around outside closed houses more and not bug their way in as much, although it happens sometimes.

This particular thing hasn't happened to me 0.54. Zombies seem to run around outside closed houses more and not bug their way in as much, although it happens sometimes.

In my case it was a garage. The kind that can't close. It was open, but they didn't run inside, they were just standing at the open entrance and hit the air and somehow that killed me.

In my case it was a garage. The kind that can't close. It was open, but they didn't run inside, they were just standing at the open entrance and hit the air and somehow that killed me.

That was likely due to syncing problems that were rather rampant back then; even though they were nowhere near you, your hit box probably got stuck at the doorway, which is why they just sat there and started trying to beat on you. As has been suggested, many of those old issues are either close to being fixed or are fixed completely. Just keep in mind that the game is still in Alpha, so it's going to be a little while yet before many of the issues are completely fixed, just as in any other game at this stage of development; the only difference is, most developers don't let you play the game until it's finished, so in most games you don't see most of the game-breaking stuff that we're privy to in DayZ. If you were to play almost any other game in its Alpha stage, you'd likely run into many of the same issues.

I'm going to be completely honest with you OP.

DayZ is a really fun game.  It's easy to get drawn into it and there is more than enough to keep one entertained.  That being said if you aren't ready to deal with bugs it's probably best to wait until full release.  Playing 10 minutes in and rage quitting to a bug in early access shows it might not be your bag.

• Like 3

I have about 100hrs in since last month and i havent noticed too many zombies walking through walls (a few times yes). What i notice most are the random spawn zombies running at you from anywhere without being in line of sight or making noise. That and seems like if you kill 1, 2-3 more take its place.

Heck, when I first started playing in late Dec. 2013-early Jan. 2014 I must have been on my 3rd life in the first 10 minutes. ;)

still happens sometimes. ill spawn then alt tab to get in to mumble and come back to "you are dead" lol damn spawn points seem to be on top of zombies!

I got beaten up by an invisible zombie the other day in the middle of the street.

I lost all my attachments for both AKM and MK5 (No, this is not from just the update, this was yesterday).

The game still has a lot of bugginess to it, even the loading and closing screens. There is a lot of good in there though if you are willing to suffer through the unpolished parts though.

In a perfect world (for me at least) we would see a patch that is only bug fixes, instead of stuff that is multiple iterations out when existing bugs hit. I realize bug fixing isn't the sexy stuff everyone wants to work on, but it certainly would be a nice gesture to your paying customers who have stuck by you (including additional costs like server hosting, etc). 

I do notice DayZ twitch numbers are way down since two other recent zombie games hit. FWIW though those games have had their numbers hit as well (and I can't say I am a fan of either of them), and right now if we could get a hack/exploit fix/bug fix patch I'd probably play a ton more.

I have about 100hrs in since last month and i havent noticed too many zombies walking through walls (a few times yes). What i notice most are the random spawn zombies running at you from anywhere without being in line of sight or making noise. That and seems like if you kill 1, 2-3 more take its place.

I try to make it a habit to only engage zeds from indoors, or in a secluded area.  Word has it that when you kill one, a new one replaces it somewhere in the vicinity (reported to be as small as 100 m radius), and since they look around, they have a better than 60%chance of immediately seeing you.  Having fights in open fields or while running through valley towns will likely draw every available zombie to you, gunshots make this worse.

Houses seem to muffle gunshot aggro to a lower radius, and killing all of the zeds in a short period of time will keep them from respawning and hearing more gunshots or seeing you still dealing with the others.  Even though this is a placeholder model for zombie AI and spawn patterns, these tactics will likely remain vital to your survival.

They have fixed most of the physical problems with the zombies, but I've still had one or two walk right through a wall at me in .53.

@OP:  I'm sorry your hitbox got stuck; that hasn't happened to me for quite a while now, but sometimes hotkey lag and desynch will get me into trouble.  The game is pretty playable as it is, but your reaction to the death in ten minutes makes me wonder what you'd think when you spawn in right next to a zombie, with nothing but a flashlight.  In my experience, the game seems fixed enough to be fun and is getting better on a weekly basis, the next couple of months should see huge improvements.

Heck, when I first started playing in late Dec. 2013-early Jan. 2014 I must have been on my 3rd life in the first 10 minutes. ;)

Difference there is that I've played the mod months before I made this account on the forums. Early 2012 and I have over 1k hours in it. I know how to play the game, very well too.

I've been there through all kinds of odd glitches and exaggerated gameplay(stumbling over a branch breaking your leg leaving you bleeding or textures being distorted all over the place at Balota airstrip and other places anyone?), but when you're prevented from looting the simplest of things because zombies hit you from an open entrance throughout an entire building it becomes impossible to play. Hence my question.

That was likely due to syncing problems that were rather rampant back then; even though they were nowhere near you, your hit box probably got stuck at the doorway..

I've read about this before, but I'm not sure what you mean with syncing. It's not like there was any problem with the connection at all. I wrote about it when it happened, which is why I know it was in September(posting history). I was looking at them looting some melee weapon as I recall it. It was an industrial low yield spot near Tulga(126,109).

I'm going to be completely honest with you OP.

DayZ is a really fun game.  It's easy to get drawn into it and there is more than enough to keep one entertained.  That being said if you aren't ready to deal with bugs it's probably best to wait until full release.  Playing 10 minutes in and rage quitting to a bug in early access shows it might not be your bag.

It isn't just any bug though, it is a gamebreaker that would require me to either have already geared up and be lucky enough not to pass out immediately(like I did) or have someone else with me. I came in skeptical because there were so many issues the first times I tried playing it(release date and a month later). I remember being happy they had been fixed, and then I died to that BS.

I would be less concerned with all rifles exploding in your face if you try to use them than a bug like this. You can decide not to use rifles, but you can't always decide not to be chased by zombies.

Edited by AtotehZ

I've read about this before, but I'm not sure what you mean with syncing. It's not like there was any problem with the connection at all. I wrote about it when it happened, which is why I know it was in September(posting history). I was looking at them looting some melee weapon as I recall it. It was an industrial low yield spot near Tulga(126,109).

I don't necessarily mean your connection (though that could have at least some part in it, even if your connection seems fine; it really only takes a couple of seconds of being out of sync to screw you); I'm referring more to the sync between you (or, more accurately, your character model) and your hitbox; early on, there were a lot of issues with the hitbox "lagging" behind the player, so that they could potentially be well ahead of the zombie, but the hitbox (which is what the zombies are apparently programmed to target) could be further back, allowing the zombie to hit you without being near you. This is somewhat similar to issues that FPS gamers run into where they miss a target even though they're aiming right at them, because the hitbox is in another spot. I haven't experienced this for some time, though today I did have an incident where I was looting a house and suddenly came under attack by an unseen entity; it wasn't until after I sprinted out of the house that the zombie actually appeared so I could deal with it. That being said, I'm very happy that the ability to traverse stairs has been added, and the ability to phase through solid walls has (almost) been completely removed. Just a bit more tweaking with the AI, and then some bolstering of their numbers, and I think zombies will finally be a viable threat; I, for one, cannot wait for the day where I have to choose between fighting some bandits and running to escape a zombie hoard. :D

Edited by Mancomb