r4z0r49

DayZ Mod Development Branch - 20a57cf

• Objects when destroyed are re-rendered on restart which removes a significant consequence of building in a high value or traffic areas

^^THIS.  1,000 times this.  I hate to say it, but this is such a big problem that I'd actually vote to remove base building altogether until a better system is implemented.  A lot of vanilla mod fans dislike the 'poch mods because they add permanence to DayZ.  With indestructible perma-bases littering high traffic areas like Stary, we're ending up with DayZ mod subreddit mods denouncing vanilla DayZ, comparing it to Overpoch.  I really didn't like how that particular person reacted, but he's right to a degree.  My clan used to have tons of fun fighting a rival clan on 434, but for the last few months that clan has changed their game to camping out in their perma-base over stary sniping anybody that comes near.  This is incredibly detrimental to the mod's gameplay.  It's become dull and repetitive trying to combat them knowing all we can do is maybe shoot them but ultimately do nothing to their base.  I fully understand that the bases are a WIP and have a long way to go, but the current system is becoming a problem on 434 because of the high population there.

Also, I'd agree with removing the upper ledge of the walls or making the wall higher so one cannot snipe over them.  The people inside the base have an unbelievable advantage over anyone attacking them.  Maybe making it impossible to shoot over them, but adding something similar to a deer stand or the tower you see at NWAF as an option to defend your base but still leaves you vulnerable.

• Like 1

Ok so to fix base items being removed from the hive when destroyed. 

Server_Monitor.sqf

line 185 update to

if (_object iskindof "DZ_buildables") then {
//_object allowDamage false;
_object addMPEventHandler ["MPKilled",{_this call vehicle_handleServerKilled;}];
};

server_publishObject.sqf
around line 26 add
_object addMPEventHandler ["MPKilled",{_this call vehicle_handleServerKilled;}];
};

Should fix the death of items.
  • Like 2

Something I'd like to be adjusted for next patch is medium stash hit points.  Right now with an axe a small stash is destroyed in 1-2 hits, a camping tent 2-3, a dome tent is unhittable and a medium stash is.... 60+ hits.  That's a bit ridiculous.   Dome tents being hittable would be nice too.  I know you can drive over and destroy them, but I can't axe or burn them atm.

Also with the attachment system improving, can we start adding a cco to the fal?  I love the fal but having only iron sights or night vision scope only makes it a bit unusable

ok so the armor also depends on the level of upgrade 

Small stash = 5 > 25

Medium = 50 > 150

Tent = 20 > 60

Dome = 50 > 100 (i dont think this works atm)

So it depends on the upgrade.

Here's what I know from the player base.  Razor you know and have resolution for most of these but thought I put it here for completeness.  None of these are game breaking but I feel they should be addressed over the product road map.

• Allowing multiple ownership of walls before being fully upgraded.  This allows walls to be hijacked and thus allow entry from undesirables
  • Ability to build in loot areas and thus block entrance to them.
  • No maintenance or degradation which over the long term could put too many objects to render on the server and thus bringing down performance.  When running epoch server performance degradation appeared around 5000+ buildable objects.
  • Objects when destroyed are re-rendered on restart which removes a significant consequence of building in a high value or traffic areas
  • Ability to glitch enter walls using the exit animation from vehicles
  • Disconnecting above a base puts you at zero elevation on login.  Something to consider if you ever plan to put in floors or ceilings.  For now US 434 only replenishes vehicles once every 24 hours to alleviate the use of bi-planes to gain entry.  

1. Allowing multiple ownership of walls before being fully upgraded.  This allows walls to be hijacked and thus allow entry from undesirables?

A. This should already be fixed we wont be adding anyone else but the original owner.

2. Ability to build in loot areas and thus block entrance to them?

A. Ok i have a few issues with this if we intend to bring in barricades witch i do then we need to solve this in another fashion then just doing what other mods do and block radius access. Maybe block loot spawning in buildings that have walls, barricades near them this isnt a game breaker as long as ppl can break into the walls i really dont see any real reason to fully block building in loot areas.

3. No maintenance or degradation which over the long term could put too many objects to render on the server and thus bringing down performance.  When running epoch server performance degradation appeared around 5000+ buildable objects.

A. This is already under way to be done we just need to create some visible sign maintenance needs doing.

4. Objects when destroyed are re-rendered on restart which removes a significant consequence of building in a high value or traffic areas.

A. This is just a simple eventhandler being missed see this post for a quick fix http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/221635-dayz-mod-development-branch-20a57cf/page-6#entry2253992

5.Ability to glitch enter walls using the exit animation from vehicles

A. This should already be fixed in the dev version.

6. Disconnecting above a base puts you at zero elevation on login.  Something to consider if you ever plan to put in floors or ceilings.  For now US 434 only replenishes vehicles once every 24 hours to alleviate the use of bi-planes to gain entry.  

A. this one is something i still have to look at.

cheers

• Like 3

Thank you Razor.  Looks like you got most resolved and the few remaining you have visibility on them.

Cheers,

Geryon

• Like 1

Next time some one is on reddit post that killed eh fix plz.

So walls will not be invulnerable? 

With walls not having a level 6+7, not being replaced on a restart and being destroyed by just a hatchet;  I honestly don't see a point to them. 

Is anything changing with gates? Right now I have my base consisting of JUST gates due to them being invulnerable and un-pickable.   My base is just vulnerable from helis.

Some other changes that I think should be done are halving the amount of weapons in stashes.  I'd prefer a max of 4 honestly.  Items slots is fine at 150 or whatever it is.

Tents/stashes also shouldn't be able to put placed inside objects like rocks, sheds, etc.  It's crazy some of the places people are putting these things.

If you could put the same ownership on tents/stashes like you have with walls.  So if you die, you can still upgrade or take down your tent later.

Fences wont be invulnerable they have never been planned to be they will use arma's armor system for now while we finish the breakin systems off same as they do now. This system will be removed for our own breakin systems later on down the road once we have the placements all working. I was going to remove the hole damage system while i worked on the breakin system but real life has stepped in so i wont be able to do that with the current issues.

Fences atm are the start point of the base system while we debug issues that's all your going to see. Gates will be more vulnerable then fences after the next patch. This is why we call it an alpha the base system is going to need a ton of work to get correct.

Tents and stashes do already have an ownership to them. 

• Like 1

if i can break a tool building a wall that's how it should work destroying one.... each section takes time to break into with a high as hell chance of breaking the tool  for each upgrade wall section i am taking down. breaking in to a base should be just as hard as building the damn thing. if not then no point in farming for weeks to build a 4X4 base if it takes 10 min tops to find a axe and the person has no risk of the tool breaking. the way your making base building seems to be a deterrent to even bother making anything. and why the change to the lvl 7 platform i cant defend myself from inside if you do that. your listening to the knights and all they want are bases nerfed and easier to raid. balance breaking in to satchel charges being even more rare than they are now, and tools used to take down EACH UPGRADE SECTION with a much higher chance of breaking tool than if your building the wall in the 1st place, and so they don't come back after server reset. if that's your goal great if not base building will be dead

Edited by comatose420

if i can break a tool building a wall that's how it should work destroying one.... each section takes time to break into with a high as hell chance of breaking the tool  for each upgrade wall section i am taking down. breaking in to a base should be just as hard as building the damn thing. if not then no point in farming for weeks to build a 4X4 base if it takes 10 min tops to find a axe and the person has no risk of the tool breaking. they way your making base building seems to be a deterrent to even bother making anything. and why the change to the lvl 7 platform i cant defend myself from inside if you do that. your listening to the knights and all they want are bases nerfed and easier to raid. balance breaking in to satchel charges being even more rare than they are now, and tools used to take down EACH UPGRADE SECTION with a much higher chance of breaking tool than if your building the wall in the 1st place, and so they don't come back after server reset. if that's your goal great if not base building will be dead

The breakin system isnt done yet but it will be a case of a chance to break tools. I would say alot like trying to break into a gate but seems that's bugged no point :-). using c4 isnt going to be allowed im not even sure why that's still ingame i need to look into that.

Ps im lsning to the only ppl making any points at all. if you feel the 6 and 7 fences are wroth keeping say why how it changes the gameplay in your eyes. The more info given to us the more we can base our thoughts and changes.

Gate breakin system works like this (this is for the deadbolt, not padlocked).

Requires 2 tools CrowBar & SledgeHammer Both have a 0.4 chance to be lost due to damage.

Break in chance is .01 chance of being successful each attempt.

Attempts =  minimum 2, Maximum 5 (animations run in a single break in attempt).

The breakin system isnt done yet but it will be a case of a chance to break tools. I would say alot like trying to break into a gate but seems that's bugged no point :-).

Ps im lsning to the only ppl making any points at all. if you feel the 6 and 7 fences are wroth keeping say why how it changes the gameplay in your eyes. The more info given to us the more we can base our thoughts and changes.

if i log out in my base with no lvl 7 i cant look to see if all is clear to leave i have to just hope that no one is camping my door. whats funny is i see the knight clan on side chat say all the time that bases are for def and fighting tactics but post here how they want that def aspect removed. a good player can take out a guy on a lvl 7 wall. lvl 7 walls are a def part of bases and with out them your a sitting duck walking out of your base blind 

Edited by comatose420

The breakin system isnt done yet but it will be a case of a chance to break tools. I would say alot like trying to break into a gate but seems that's bugged no point :-). using c4 isnt going to be allowed im not even sure why that's still ingame i need to look into that.

Gate breakin system works like this (this is for the deadbolt, not padlocked).

Requires 2 tools CrowBar & SledgeHammer Both have a 0.4 chance to be lost due to damage.

Break in chance is .01 chance of being successful each attempt.

Attempts =  minimum 2, Maximum 5 (animations run in a single break in attempt).

thank you thats what id like to see and i just came back to the mod ill try to give constructive feed back 

Edited by comatose420

if i log out in my base with no lvl 7 i cant look to see if all is clear to leave i have to just hope that no one is camping my door. whats funny is i see the knight clan on side chat say all the time that bases are for def and fighting tactics but post here how they want that def aspect removed. i good player can take out a guy on a lvl 7 wall. lvl 7 walls are a def part of bases and with out them your a sitting duck walking out of your base blind 

say if we add some kind of say deerstand something the others have claimed are better in defense and attack. Atm they are saying the ledges are very hard to attack but much easier to defend with. So there suggestion is to replace the ledge with some kind of tower ie deerstand sort of tower.

• Like 1

as long as i can defend a base from inside from attackers with max height walls and view the area a tower or stand is fine. i just dont see how lvl 7 walls are op. going up and down the ladder with the exit and mount animations at the top of the ladder your a siting duck from a sniper same thing if i peek over the wall easy head shot. its balanced as it is. only reason i can think of that ppl want it gone is cause once you kill a person in a base you have to swing a hatchet for 30 min to destroy a wall to loot them.... and you should have too. again add a tower or w/e but lvl 7 walls are fine the way they work now. but plz add more ways to defend a base from inside

I like the lvl 7 walls since it allows firefights between people in the base and out.  Also the whole point of the base while occupied  is to be very hard to crack.  I really do not think it's OP.  

The folks that have played the other mod with base building (cough Epoch) know that being in a base on a full server is not the most desirable place to be.  Anyone withing 800 meters know you are in the base and can reach out and touch you with a 7.62 mm.  A lot of Epoch servers end up being gangs of trolling snipers who take out people playing house at their base.  Once players understand the dynamics in vanilla I see the tide shifting with people bitching about snipers getting their murder boners on base builders when they foolishly look over on top of  rampart.  In other words someone is going to complain.

As long as maintenance/decay and permanent destruction is common place (without manual patching) the base building should play out more fairly.

• Like 1

I like the lvl 7 walls since it allows firefights between people in the base and out.  Also the whole point of the base while occupied  is to be very hard to crack.  I really do not think it's OP.  

The folks that have played the other mod with base building (cough Epoch) know that being in a base on a full server is not the most desirable place to be.  Anyone withing 800 meters know you are in the base and can reach out and touch you with a 7.62 mm.  A lot of Epoch servers end up being gangs of trolling snipers who take out people playing house at their base.  Once players understand the dynamics in vanilla I see the tide shifting with people bitching about snipers getting their murder boners on base builders when they foolishly look over on top of  rampart.  In other words someone is going to complain.

As long as maintenance/decay and permanent destruction is common place (without manual patching) the base building should play out more fairly.

bingo this guy gets it

ok for now ill add them back to push a new development branch. 

We still have to do the visual aids for maintenance mode on all build items before the next main update. I've spoken with Eugen today he will release a new development branch today ill see if i can sort a server out to run this branch for players to test whats coming up in the next patch (1.8.5)

For myself using the 6 & 7 level fences dont make a massive difference the main aim is to burry out the bugs and to make it fit whats dayz is. 

if i log out in my base with no lvl 7 i cant look to see if all is clear to leave i have to just hope that no one is camping my door. whats funny is i see the knight clan on side chat say all the time that bases are for def and fighting tactics but post here how they want that def aspect removed. a good player can take out a guy on a lvl 7 wall. lvl 7 walls are a def part of bases and with out them your a sitting duck walking out of your base blind 

What's with your childish, ignorant rant against "the Knights" (I'm the only one that has posted on this...not sure why you think it's a clan thing) and accusing Razor of pandering to us?  You need to grow up and read the posts before clicking the reply button.  Razor is listening to everyone's input and taking it all into account.  I never said bases should be easy to break into.  I'm all for bases being difficult to take down, but that they should NOT be permanent.  Currently after destroying a fence with a satchel charge it will respawn after restart.  Razor has posted a fix for this.  This is my main complaint.  This is what is having a negative impact on the gameplay.  As for defending the base, did you not read my suggestion for adding some sort of tower to defend from? I NEVER said you should not be able to defend a base.  I'm suggesting alternative ways to the current system.  The relative height of the wall to the ledge makes it incredibly easy to prone and 3pp look over the wall all day with no risk of being shot.  All you have to do is wait for the other player to turn his back then you pop up and snipe him.  I think bases should be defensible, but it should come with some more risk than it currently does.  I know you can take out players on a level 7 wall (we've taken out quite a few), but I think there could be a better way to implement defenses.

Why don't you focus your attention more on contributing to the mod rather than tossing around insults?  That would be much more helpful.

• Like 1

Ok so to fix base items being removed from the hive when destroyed.

Server_Monitor.sqf

line 185 update to

//_object allowDamage false;

};

server_publishObject.sqf

around line 26 add

};

Should fix the death of items.

Let us just hope nobody gets the bright idea to add this in before the damage is removed, considering the walls fall to only a couple dozen hatchet swings.

I know nothing of coding in A2/DayZ, but this:

"if (_object iskindof "DZ_buildables") then {

//_object allowDamage false"

...seems to indicate that they can take no damage.  Sooo, you can't hatchet them, but you also cannot destroy them with satchel charges?  Until the break-in system is implemented, is there a way to set the damage so that a satchel will take them out but that hatcheting them would take so many hits that it's unrealistic to be able to destroy them?  I don't know what the scale is between several hundred hatchet hits and one satchel charge so not sure if this would work or not.  Pardon my ignorance, just curious.

• Like 1

The allow damage being set to false as in no damage allowed is commented out with the //.  That means damage is allowed.

In the new patch armor is updated with each fence upgrade. Not sure how many melee hits they take just yet in the new patch or last public patch.

Update the new patch takes two pipebombs to destroy a level 7 fence.

• Like 1

The allow damage being set to false as in no damage allowed is commented out with the //.  That means damage is allowed.

Haha thanks.  This is why I don't code.  =)