Sign in to follow this  
Alex Leonhart

Lets get real, the real issue with this game

I just keep seeing meaningless patches that doesn´t even start to adress the main problem of this game, the netcode or i don´t know how to call it, of this game, its a complete disaster, there is a huge desynch between what you see and what is really happening, i´m talking about the rubber-banding of players, the impossibility of killing a running player with single shot weapons, you can see them on one point and shoot that point but you never him them, it doesn´t matter what you see on your client; those things that doesn´t let you grab something because you are standing right next to it to pick it up, but the game thinks that you are stuck on the wall of the previous room, those things that break your legs if you move levels on like a firestation, or you kill a player but he have 1 or 2 seconds until he dies, seconds that can kill you even if you already killed him, and a lot of other things that happen because of how bad the foundation of the code is.

Every patch just adds new pointless items and stupid stuff, but this major issue it´s the same now than before, what is going to fix this? because without any major knowledge on programming this just seems that there is a bad foundation and its going to be very hard to redo everything until is works like every decent game does, i have read about new graphic engine, new sound engine, but any of that has any to do with this?

What i think and what everyone that have this game and i know thinks, is that the developers are way over their head and they have no clue to fix that, they keep adding items and doing the easy stuff without doing anything on the important issue, meanwhile Dean Hall grabs the money and leaves, saying: bye suckers! -oh boy! you don´t know the mess i left behind!.

Meaby i´m wrong and all this is going to fix it without problem but i really can´t understand why they did´nt prioritize this over adding garbage.

-English is not my main.

Edited by Alex Leonhart

Hate to break this to you dude, but that's just you. I know I've never had that problem. Now lets get the real issue, the cruddy optimization. Once that is taken care of, I can feel justified in loving this game.

Hate to break this to you dude, but that's just you. I know I've never had that problem. Now lets get the real issue, the cruddy optimization. Once that is taken care of, I can feel justified in loving this game.

Do I really need to whip out the "IT'S STILL AN ALPHA!" sign here? :P

• Like 1

Do you have any idea how many of these threads are made weekly? At least 30, I'd say...

Hopefully, if the god Boneboys wills it...

TOOOOO THE YARRRRDDD!!!

Do I really need to whip out the "IT'S STILL AN ALPHA!" sign here? :P

It is funny, I used to hate that "excuse", as I considered it, back when I joined the forum. 

Now, I use the statement all the time!

• Like 1

1600 hours in the game and I very rarly experience any of these problems. Maybe don't use AOL as your ISP

• Like 1

OP... please give me beans for wasting my time reading your post. 

• Like 1

I didn't believe the first several dozen people, but you've convinced me. The game engine is crap. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

When all of this got started, BI didn't have a suitable game engine for a MMO. They do military simulators, remember? They obviously thought that the current engine had the best chance of being adapted. Yes, it's an antique relic, but so what. There can't be more than a few thousand people who will buy into the whole zombie genre; it's just a passing fad, right?

Well, as it turns out, BI were wrong on several counts. The zombie genre has exploded and millions of people have purchased DayZ, even before it came out of alpha development. Now, with a substantial (and demanding) player base and the necessary funding, they are rewriting the game engine in order to introduce needed features and improve performance. I guess where they went wrong is by not firing all of the AI, art and animation people first. It's much better that they complete all of the work on the game engine first and then they can hire the AI, art and animation teams later. It would be a major faux pas to show any progress in these areas, before they ensure that we have a stable 60FPS under all possible circumstances, right?

As near as I can determine, the game engine was written in one huge, monolithic block of code. The devs first task was to break this down into individual modules, each specializing in different areas of game function. This is a HUGE amount of work and at the end of the day, it doesn't affect game performace one bit. What it does do, however, is to make it easy for devs to write new, replacemnet modules, that can be more easily plugged in to the core engine. These new modules can introduce new features, or performance improvements, or both. If they are still on schedule, we expect to see the replacement of a key module, the renderer, at the end of March. The renderer takes the output from other modules and draws the picture on your monitor. This new module should have much better lighting effects as well as better performance due to its more efficient culling strategy.

As time goes on, additional modules will be written and plugged into the game. Each will bring various improvements and enhancements.

For the TL DR crowd, we are finally at the point where some sigificant core improvements can now be introduced into the game. Since this is all new code, there are bound to be bugs, but we are finally on the brink of moving forward.

Edited by BleedoutBill
  • Like 3

If they are still on schedule, we expect to see the replacement of a key module, the renderer, at the end of March. 

Ha no way.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the new renderer coming down the pipe any time soon. 

Seriously, I would LOVE to be wrong.

i really can´t understand why they did´nt prioritize this over adding garbage.

Somehow I am with you. Critics will respond "a netcode programmer has nothing to do with a 3D artist" and all this. So then, what about employing more netcode guys and when this has been developed enough, replace them (majority) by 3D artists? DayZ did not have to be developed from scratch and the Alpha has been out now for almost 1.5 years. Millions have already been payed. Tenthousands are constantly playing and reporting issues and bugs, contributing for free (actually they have payed for this) to the development.

Currently the status is 0.54 with 0.01 added every two months. So, emn, yeah. 2018?

I'll let them know that meaningless patches are meaningless and that the netcode (or whatever you call it) being developed, is not developed.

These common or garden Topics bring out the best in people, one thing I fail to understand is why Alpha is seen as being an excuse, when it is fact.

If you don't like the game play something else, I recommend ArmA III.