Sign in to follow this  
battlerhd

Thoughts on the new eating and drinking system?

Just wanted to know other peoples thoughts on the new drinking and eating system. Persononally I think it was fine the way it was before, now its nearly impossible to get the bright green enegized and hydrated with out being sick and becoming thirsty or hungry again. Lets be real for a second, if you were about to die from dehydration and you found a pound and took 3 handfulls of water your would still be thirsty and no where near stuffed. Getting stuffed from 3 seperate drinking animations alone if way to ott in my opinion, I think they should of just left it as it was, it was fine like that, in my opinion at least.

I really hope it's a bug, because it sucks.

You can throw up without even being hydrated or energized at all.

The only way the tiny stomach capacity would work well is if food and water were actually more realistic in how long they kept you going.  If eating 1-2 entire cans of beans and a bottle of water would actually keep you energized for a few hours then it'd be ok.  Right now you have to eat a can every few minutes instead and still be hungry/thirsty.

Edited by Bororm

Just wanted to know other peoples thoughts on the new drinking and eating system. Persononally I think it was fine the way it was before, now its nearly impossible to get the bright green enegized and hydrated with out being sick and becoming thirsty or hungry again. Lets be real for a second, if you were about to die from dehydration and you found a pound and took 3 handfulls of water your would still be thirsty and no where near stuffed. Getting stuffed from 3 seperate drinking animations alone if way to ott in my opinion, I think they should of just left it as it was, it was fine like that, in my opinion at least.

Not a new system, merely a new bug.

Must be bugged, either yours or on my side?

I can eat and drink pretty "normally", not having the trouble you guys are facing. In fact it feels more polished for me than the older builds.

Actually it is quite rediculous what amount of food and drinks you need to quench thist and hunger. Even when you've been running at warm temperatures over a longer time, you don't need (and foremost can't) to drink three litres (i.e. three PET or field bottles).

As long as thirsty, hungry and stuffed don't have any negative effects then you shouldn't be afraid those at all. Just build up and in a long term you should achieve energized and hydrated.

As long as thirsty, hungry and stuffed don't have any negative effects then you shouldn't be afraid those at all. Just build up and in a long term you should achieve energized and hydrated.

The issue is that you can't really build them up without throwing up.  Or you can get energized green but be forever thirsty etc.  Because unless you perfectly strike the balance, you are going to be stuffed to the point of another food/drink making you vomit.

Some times it seems to actually be preferable to vomit and start over honestly.

If I had to guess I'd say that's exactly the problem, that your stomach can now only hold enough to be perfectly balanced with food/drink and tipping either over the scale just dooms you to never hitting that balance unless you start over.

I've found that by simply "eating" and "drinking" again as opposed to "eat all" and "drink all" has proven this new system or bug to be a non issue.  Also, though mildly annoying due to low chance, I had the opportunity the other day to pick berries for like 10 min while i waited for my roommate to get off the phone.  Found about 12 berries, ate them and went from not energized to bright green.  Repeated the same thing with apples later on and it only took about 3-4 apples to get energized.

I assumed whatever this is to be a fix for not being able to spam wells anymore.  Since before you had to spam F 20-30 times, which is insane, to get hydrated.  Now it's a drink or two.

tldr; Stop clicking eat all, it works for me.

I've found that by simply "eating" and "drinking" again as opposed to "eat all" and "drink all" has proven this new system or bug to be a non issue.  Also, though mildly annoying due to low chance, I had the opportunity the other day to pick berries for like 10 min while i waited for my roommate to get off the phone.  Found about 12 berries, ate them and went from not energized to bright green.  Repeated the same thing with apples later on and it only took about 3-4 apples to get energized.

I assumed whatever this is to be a fix for not being able to spam wells anymore.  Since before you had to spam F 20-30 times, which is insane, to get hydrated.  Now it's a drink or two.

tldr; Stop clicking eat all, it works for me.

I'll give this a try next time I play.  If that's true it may be a bug in that "eating all" only actually eats the amount from "eat" but does the stuffed value of a full eat all.

it is perfectly fine for now.

Really early work in progress but a step in the right direction especially if it now makes players actually care about hydration and food.

Really early work in progress but a step in the right direction especially if it now makes players actually care about hydration and food.

Please explain to me how it's fine that you can become stuffed to the point of throwing up before becoming either energized or hydrated.

Please explain to me how it's fine that you can become stuffed to the point of throwing up before becoming either energized or hydrated.

Because that's how the body works.

You can be in a dehydrated state but consuming all of that days daily water needs immediately is impossible. Like all things you must pace yourself.

The desired result is probably to have players hydrate and consume food regularly and not just hold it off until starving .

• Like 3

Cant dissagree more, drinking 3 handfulls of water is no where near your daily water needs. Healthy water intake is around 2 liters, think of how much water you would actually drink from a handfull taking into consideration spillage ext. Drinking more than 2 liters would not make you vomit, there is a difference between players caring about hydration and food than it simply being unrealistic and annoying.

• Like 1

Cant dissagree more, drinking 3 handfulls of water is no where near your daily water needs. Healthy water intake is around 2 liters, think of how much water you would actually drink from a handfull taking into consideration spillage ext. Drinking more than 2 liters would not make you vomit, there is a difference between players caring about hydration and food than it simply being unrealistic and annoying.

I never said it was.

What I am saying is that you cant drink copious amounts of water in one shot and that I suspect the new mechanic is meant to try to force players to regularly hydrate instead of just holding it off until the last minute.

100 percent realistic of course not, but structured in reality in order to change gameplay probably.

• Like 3

You have to be a seriously braindead fanboy to defend this shit

someone with 5k posts on this amazingly awful forum fits that bill

• Like 1

You have to be a seriously braindead fanboy to defend this shit

someone with 5k posts on this amazingly awful forum fits that bill

I don't believe gibonez actually plays the game honestly.  He makes a lot of posts that are extremely out of touch with the actual reality of gameplay.  He is the only member of this forum I have on ignore, although it still shows me his posts, just hidden, and I can't help but look at them sometimes (because I'm dumb) defeating the purpose =P

• Like 2

I never said it was.

What I am saying is that you cant drink copious amounts of water in one shot and that I suspect the new mechanic is meant to try to force players to regularly hydrate instead of just holding it off until the last minute.

100 percent realistic of course not, but structured in reality in order to change gameplay pro

Lets agree to disagree I guess, I think it should of been left alone in the first place as it was fine and something that was not broken.

Edited by iBattleVet
  • Like 1

Let's pretend for a minute that the devs were trying to accomplish what gibonez is suggesting, that essentially they want to replicate digestion.

This doesn't make any sense in the current gameplay because the amount you eat doesn't slowly reduce your hunger/thirst in any way.  You simply have a smaller capacity.  Eating to the point of being stuffed right now will result in you still maintaining a thirsty/hungry status that will degrade not improve over time.

I really don't think the devs are this dumb that they were trying to replicate a more "realistic" eating scenario with this change and I that's why I really hope this was a bug.

I never said it was.

100 percent realistic of course not, but structured in reality in order to change gameplay probably.

Exactly.

When I climbed a local mountain a few months back, I probably drank at least 15 liters of water over the course of a day, as well as eating a relatively large amount of food (20 miles over 9 hours and up 2000 feet will do that to you.)

Did I drink it all at once? Nope, I would've gotten "poisoned". I drank at least a liter every hour, with frequent breaks and snacks.

Is the current system working right? Nope, but it is a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

do u eat your entire day's worth of food in 10 minutes???

or do u space out your food into 3 or more meals a day??????

not "realistic"??????????????

Exactly.

When I climbed a local mountain a few months back, I probably drank at least 15 liters of water over the course of a day, as well as eating a relatively large amount of food (20 miles over 9 hours and up 2000 feet will do that to you.)

Did I drink it all at once? Nope, I would've gotten "poisoned". I drank at least a liter every hour, with frequent breaks and snacks.

Is the current system working right? Nope, but it is a step in the right direction.

do u eat your entire day's worth of food in 10 minutes???

or do u space out your food into 3 or more meals a day??????

not "realistic"??????????????

Except that again, the current system is not reflecting this idea at all.  So no, it is not a "step in the right direction."  A step in the right direction (assuming the goal is to replicate digestion) would be introducing a slow burn on food you consume, where you gain a stuffed status that shifts into an energized/hydrated status.

Not eating the same exact amount of food in two different speeds that are literally the difference between minutes having incredibly different outcomes.

Have you guys actually played with this patch.  Here is the scenario once again (I'm going to make up numbers here):

1) you are "hungry" status and use "eat all" on 3 cans of food and lose your hungry status (not gaining energized) while gaining a yellow stuffed status

or

2) you are "hungry" status and use "eat" on 3 cans of food and gain energized status while not gaining stuffed status.  This takes only a few minutes more than using the eat all option.

It is insanity to think this is a step in the right direction or a good representation of what it's like to spread out meals over a day.  The devs up to this point have implemented complex mechanics for multiple systems, why would you think they would half ass such a shitty system now?

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

The new system is way better than the old one.. as others have said.. a step in the right direction. I do a lot of "survival" type gameplay.. not waging war on the coast or camping with tons o' rice & canteens.. thus, requiring a more realistic diet.. and the new system seems to do its job better than the old "chug a couple of canteens in one go" one.

That said, once you have a decent percentage of water & food in your stomach (energized, hydrated), your diet will feel more like a rl one.

Exactly.

Did I drink it all at once? Nope, I would've gotten "poisoned". I drank at least a liter every hour, with frequent breaks and snacks

Except that again, the current system is not reflecting this idea at all.  So no, it is not a "step in the right direction."  A step in the right direction (assuming the goal is to replicate digestion) would be introducing a slow burn on food you consume, where you gain a stuffed status that shifts into an energized/hydrated status.

Not eating the same exact amount of food in two different speeds that are literally the difference between minutes having incredibly different outcomes.

Have you guys actually played with this patch.  Here is the scenario once again (I'm going to make up numbers here):

1) you are "hungry" status and use "eat all" on 3 cans of food and lose your hungry status (not gaining energized) while gaining a yellow stuffed status

or

2) you are "hungry" status and use "eat" on 3 cans of food and gain energized status while not gaining stuffed status.  This takes only a few minutes more than using the eat all option.

It is insanity to think this is a step in the right direction or a good representation of what it's like to spread out meals over a day.  The devs up to this point have implemented complex mechanics for multiple systems, why would you think they would half ass such a shitty system now?

If you eat THREE WHOLE CANS OF FOOD in one sitting in real life, you will get sick, even if you space them out over the course of a "few minutes". In reality, your stomach cannot hold that much, and eating a lot of food all at once, after not eating for a while, will make your body vomit as a natural reaction (you can actually go into shock from this)

"Hungry" is different from "energized". Being not "hungry" means your stomach is full. Being "energized" means you have a healthy metabolic process, AKA good reserves of energy, from eating good food.

If anything, getting the "energized" buff should take a lot of work, in the form of being hydrated, resting, and eating the right foods. In my opinion, getting the "energized" buff should be next to impossible from canned food, canned food often being heavily-processed crap. Will they keep you alive? Yes. Are they the "best" thing to eat? Nope.

You would also need to be well-hydrated, not sprinting about, and having ample breaks. Only then will you get "energized", and then, over time, regain blood. 

Not "sprint around town, stuffing 7 different cans of food and 5 liters of water down your gullet, then sprinting down the road to the next town", like what currently happens. 

Hell, I would like it if the devs made it so if we sprinted/jogged around on a full stomach enough, we vomited! Realistic! When I was on my High Schools track team, A freshman asked me for racing tips, I told him to drink a quart of milk and a quart of OJ an hour or so before the race. I felt bad, but it was so goddamned funny. It was like a creamsicle of sadness! 

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 2

Its ok, I don't dislike it but seems weird when you drink it goes to stuffed without energized but hydrated. Maybe its working as intended?

Seems not to bad of a system if you find the food and water.

If you eat THREE WHOLE CANS OF FOOD in one sitting in real life, you will get sick, even if you space them out over the course of a "few minutes". In reality, your stomach cannot hold that much, and eating a lot of food all at once, after not eating for a while, will make your body vomit as a natural reaction (you can actually go into shock from this)

"Hungry" is different from "energized". Being not "hungry" means your stomach is full. Being "energized" means you have a healthy metabolic process, AKA good reserves of energy, from eating good food.

If anything, getting the "energized" buff should take a lot of work, in the form of being hydrated, resting, and eating the right foods. In my opinion, getting the "energized" buff should be next to impossible from canned food, canned food often being heavily-processed crap. Will they keep you alive? Yes. Are they the "best" thing to eat? Nope.

You would also need to be well-hydrated, not sprinting about, and having ample breaks. Only then will you get "energized", and then, over time, regain blood. 

Not "sprint around town, stuffing 7 different cans of food and 5 liters of water down your gullet, then sprinting down the road to the next town", like what currently happens. 

Hell, I would like it if the devs made it so if we sprinted/jogged around on a full stomach enough, we vomited! Realistic! When I was on my High Schools track team, A freshman asked me for racing tips, I told him to drink a quart of milk and a quart of OJ an hour or so before the race. I felt bad, but it was so goddamned funny. It was like a creamsicle of sadness! 

And again you are missing my entire point.

Right now the outcome of eating 3 cans of food (again I'm making up numbers, but i think this is close) spaced over a few minutes by using the "eat" function instead of "eat all" is that you gain the energized status.  It probably takes less than a few minutes honestly, but the point is it takes only marginally longer than using "eat all."  But the outcomes of these 2 things are completely different.

Using eat all results in you becoming stuffed but not energized.  Using eat results in you becoming energized and stuffed.  It's the same amount of food in a minimal amount of difference in time.  What's that tell you?  To me it says that in all likelihood using eat all is resulting in eating only one actual portion and giving you the same amount of "stuffed."

This isn't trying to replicate digestion and if it is it's the worst fucking way to do it.  This doesn't encourage you to eat slowly over an extended period of time.  It encourages you to use one function over the other.  This is not a step in the right direction unless their goal is to simply cause annoyance.

If they wanted you to fill up and digest they could simply make it so you gain stuffed status which transforms into energized/hydrated.