Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator

Ballistic helmets are too effective

When you're shot from a higher caliber weapon point blank, you should NOT be surviving no matter what you have on your head, because the sheer force of the bullet will break your neck. It's really annoying landing that headshot and having a guy just fall unconscious. Last night I shot a guy from about 5 meters with an AK101, directly in the head - he had a helmet, and I had to come up to him and shoot him again.. several times, as I'm sure a lot of you noticed it's sometimes really hard to hit someone lying on the floor for some reason when you're on top of them. Anyway, it's a really uneeded hassle and requires you to expose yourself a lot more, either visually or audibly.

I've also noticed that people with hats and glasses tend to survive headshots where said articles for some reason "absorb" the damage from what I can tell. A few nights ago I shot a guy at about 200m with an AKM in the head, he had a cowboy hat. Once I approached, I saw that he was STILL alive, hat ruined, but "strong pulse"...

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 1

When you're shot from a higher caliber weapon point blank, you should NOT be surviving no matter what you have on your head, because the sheer force of the bullet will break your neck. It's really annoying landing that headshot and having a guy just fall unconscious. Last night I shot a guy from about 5 meters with an AK101, directly in the head - he had a helmet, and I had to come up to him and shoot him again.. several times, as I'm sure a lot of you noticed it's sometimes really hard to hit someone lying on the floor for some reason when you're on top of them. Anyway, it's a really uneeded hassle and requires you to expose yourself a lot more, either visually or audibly.

I've also noticed that people with hats and glasses tend to survive headshots where said articles for some reason "absorb" the damage from what I can tell. A few nights ago I shot a guy at about 200m with an AKM in the head, he had a cowboy hat. Once I approached, I saw that he was STILL alive, hat ruined, but "strong pulse"...

What you are talking about is balancing and it usually gets done in BETA. Don't get too frustrated mate, it will get sorted but you just have to work within the confines of the game as it is now.

• Like 2

Totally agree there OP.

Second post from some other dude is hilarious. You can justify any bug by saying "Alpha". Jesus.

They do need to work on this. If we are going to talk realistic, almost any impact from automatic rifle to center of mass would leave you on the floor, either dead or soon to be dead.

• Like 2

test have been conducted numerous times and the balistic helmet only protects from 200meter upwards. Cant find the vid right now tho.

Altho maybe some variables have been tweaked recently. But it might have to do with the Ak since the tests i saw all where made with the mosin.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

What you are talking about is balancing and it usually gets done in BETA. Don't get too frustrated mate, it will get sorted but you just have to work within the confines of the game as it is now.

Guns have already been balanced (sway, dispersion, damage values on .22), so it leads me to believe it's probable that further adjustments are to be made now as opposed to beta, especially on things such as the one I outlined in the OP.

test have been conducted numerous times and the balistic helmet only protects from 200meter upwards. Cant find the vid right now tho.

Altho maybe some variables have been tweaked recently.

I am pretty sure that the guy I shot yesterday point blank had a pristine/worn ballistic helmet, as he fell on the ground, I noticed the texture swapped to ruined (hence confirming it was indeed a headshot and not a bodyshot). I have been following the values and I've yet to see something changed in the last couple of patches. This is not something I've encountered for the first time though, there are many cases, these two are just the most obvious ones where I'm 100% sure that the outcome is not something to be expected within the realm of realism.

Edited by Infiltrator

Maybe it was "luck"....mhh sometimes strange things do happen ( i look at you inconsitent shotgun damage ).

Guns have already been balanced (sway, dispersion, damage values on .22), so it leads me to believe it's probable that further adjustments are to be made now as opposed to beta, especially on things such as the one I outlined in the OP.

The mentality is that anything new that is introduced carries the probability that it will conflict with current balances/fixes meaning that the time spent fixing now is redundant and not cost effective.

as an aside, i'd wager 7.62/.556 would bounce off the occasional brainbucket.  Saved plenty of people from the Kar98 in ww2.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Meanwhile plate carriers and press vest are too ineffective. Doesn't stop slow and fat .45...

• Like 3

When you googel you find tons of vids of Peeps shooting their chest with 44. or 308. name it. And all they have is a fat bruise.No broken ribs nothing. If that hasn't enough energy to break you at least a few ribs.....it wont break yor Spine. 

Not point blank....but he just walked of. From a direct Sniper Rifel Hit to the head.

Mosin kills till 200 M. So point blank will take him down. So use Mosin or Blazer for the point blank thing.

Edited by Krawallkurt
  • Like 1

The helmet protects for one shot...

It isn't that op.. It is what it is meant for

Also motorbike helmet is better as it covers more of the face

Maybe 2 shots for a pistol round.

• Like 1

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-29-the-helmets-o-truth/

Yes even pistol rounds penetrate ballistic military helmets.

Times you hit the helmet is irrelevant especially when military rifle rounds for even the 5.56 were built to the spec of defeating such helmets at over 400m.

The only reason you ever see helmets stopping rifle rounds in real life is probably due to them being hit with regular soft lead ball rounds with no steel penetrator.

Most real military ammo has some kind of steel penetrator.

29-11.jpg

CZ 52 7.62x25

29-14.jpg

Full penetration.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 2

Times you hit the helmet is irrelevant especially when military rifle rounds for even the 5.56 were built to the spec of defeating such helmets at over 400m.

The only reason you ever see helmets stopping rifle rounds in real life is probably due to them being hit with regular soft lead ball rounds with no steel penetrator.

29-11.jpg

CZ 52 7.62x25

29-14.jpg

Full penetration.

That's what I'm talking about. It's just unreal to have a guy drop on the floor and stand back up in a minute like nothing happened. Just.. if he has to be unconscious, make it so that he NEVER wakes up from it unless assisted by someone else.

• Like 1

I'll add that a requirement of the 7.62X39mm when it was designed was to be able to pierce a steel helmet at 1000m when used in volleys of indirect fire. I did some ballistic tests with my sks and had no problem with 1/4" steel plate and over 20" of Douglas Fir planks layered on ones that tumbled, right through a 3' thick stack on ones that didn't. That's standard Russian manufactured copperclad steel core ammo against a flat surface though, glancing hits, hollow-points and soft lead hunting ammo are different. 

Yes please!  Shooting someone's protected skull results in them becoming my own personal almost-dead guy to carry around and do with what I like until someone administers epinephrine and morphine.

Totally agree there OP.

Second post from some other dude is hilarious. You can justify any bug by saying "Alpha". Jesus.

They do need to work on this. If we are going to talk realistic, almost any impact from automatic rifle to center of mass would leave you on the floor, either dead or soon to be dead.

It's not a bug, it's a balance issue.

Im not saying that it definitely won't get balanced sooner but that it most probably won't. You are more than welcome to post your issue and I for welcome it, however and I may have read it wrong but I felt you sounded quite annoyed and was just suggesting to try not to let it frustrate you too much. I have watched a good many players get too frustrated with the game and stop playing it, thats all!

GL

You never know when the devs have done something such as exaggerate bullet damage to test item damage systems (or whatever, the list could go on) Point being, at this time in development bitching about variables is pointless.

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 1

29-11.jpg

CZ 52 7.62x25

29-14.jpg

Full penetration.

if u look at this video u can clearly see how much damage such a helmet can take.

keep in mind that the strucktual integrety of that helmet wasnt there anymore when he was hit with the rifle rounds.

so survivng one mosin shot to the head OVER 200 m away is quite realistic in my book.

especially when u dont get hit in 90°angle .

Edited by Munson_fry

It depends on angle, range, caliber and other factors. Also these aren't PASGT helmets, which are dated. The MICH is more resilient. I think the current in game system works. Now the MASKA helmet needs to be buffed based on videos of it surviving close range gunshots and the claim they are built from titanium, rather than steel or kevlar.

The issue is often things on your face/head stacking.  So maybe a helmet alone won't stop a point blank rifle shot, but if you put on a face mask and sunglasses that tiny added protection could mean it does.

It's like how it takes 3 mosin shots to kill some one "geared" out because you have to ruin their vest and shirt before you actually end up killing them a lot of times.  These items alone might not stop a full round but all combined it adds up to a lot more protection.

Like NexVentor says it's a balance issue though and I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon.