Sign in to follow this  
daystodaze

Server Hoppers Plus A Video On Peaches.

I just do it to find loot quickly. I mean really... If I ran to a military base to get gear, and there is no gear to get, am I just supposed to say "Oh well, lets hike for another 30min to get to the next decent loot spot and HOPE it hasn't been looted too"? No thanks. I'll go to a server that hasn't been looted, get what I came for, and be on my way.

So been playing and enjoying DayZ for a while and not registered to post on the forums till now.. First post..  Hello all :)

In my view one of the core problems with DayZ is the server hopping, and how people are 'gearing up'; which is a fundamental flaw in how things work.  It's a tad immersion breaking to teleport to an alternate universe to source weapons hey...  I'm all for unrelenting PvP with KOS and emergent psychos running amok (Hey, been one myself in game) but with server hopping what we have is people essentially cheating.  Not gonna lie - I've done/do it, but what is the alternative?  Its kinda hard to fight back with a toothpick whilst everyone else is kitted up like Arnie in commando - camping military installations.

So there is absolutely no reason not to KOS, and with it interesting scenarios and gameplay situations are lost.  Why? Well because if you are running low on ammo, rather than actually requiring to hold someone up, all you need to do is hop server - rinse and repeat.  

So unless the developers seriously address the issue, aquiring decent weapons needs to be a lot more accessible.  For starters heli crash sites spawn locations should be much more widespread throughout the map rather than just in the central band.  This would give fresher spawns a fighting chance, discourage server hopping and zone camping and create a much more interesting game dynamic.

I just do it to find loot quickly. I mean really... If I ran to a military base to get gear, and there is no gear to get, am I just supposed to say "Oh well, lets hike for another 30min to get to the next decent loot spot and HOPE it hasn't been looted too"? No thanks. I'll go to a server that hasn't been looted, get what I came for, and be on my way.

Considering how it takes about 30 minutes to run across the entire map....yeah, I kinda expect you to not be a lazy d-bag. Much less abuse an exploit.

Of course, my favorite thing to do while bored is sit at Veresnik or the Pavlovo military base and wax server-hoppers as they search for gear. So long, and thanks for all the guns!

I don't server hop, per se. The definition of server hopping as I understand it is bouncing from server to server to hit high loot locations to gear up quickly. People who sit at NWAF, military bases, locations with police station & piano house close together and bounce from server to server (especially low/no pop) to get armed and geared quickly... are frowned upon and rather lame imo. However, changing servers to move to a higher pop server or to join up with friends imo isn't server hopping, it's changing servers, which as I understand it is not frowned upon and ok.

I don't server hop, per se. The definition of server hopping as I understand it is bouncing from server to server to hit high loot locations to gear up quickly. People who sit at NWAF, military bases, locations with police station & piano house close together and bounce from server to server (especially low/no pop) to get armed and geared quickly... are frowned upon and rather lame imo. However, changing servers to move to a higher pop server or to join up with friends imo isn't server hopping, it's changing servers, which as I understand it is not frowned upon and ok.

yes, because people accidentally log into a low pop to empty server, gear up and accidentally log into another low pop to empty server to get more gear then ssy, "oops, I didn't know it was low pop, better join a high pop server"

I don't really concern myself with players that change servers to gear up faster. I don't play like that but its just another exploit that we cant do anything about unless each character is tied to one server.

The problem is ghosting. players that change servers in groups to gain an advantageous position for a firefight.

I don't really concern myself with players that change servers to gear up faster. I don't play like that but its just another exploit that we cant do anything about unless each character is tied to one server.

The problem is ghosting. players that change servers in groups to gain an advantageous position for a firefight.

Wait until admins have access to the coordinates of players, clans will be even more deadly when they are told of your exact position.

Considering how it takes about 30 minutes to run across the entire map....yeah, I kinda expect you to not be a lazy d-bag. Much less abuse an exploit.

Of course, my favorite thing to do while bored is sit at Veresnik or the Pavlovo military base and wax server-hoppers as they search for gear. So long, and thanks for all the guns!

Yea, again... I should run to the next area and have it be barren as well? Hell no. Why don't YOU do the running around for me, I KOS you, and take it all? It's either that, or I'm hopping. GG.

Yea, again... I should run to the next area and have it be barren as well? Hell no. Why don't YOU do the running around for me, I KOS you, and take it all? It's either that, or I'm hopping. GG.

Considering how you don't need uber-awesome guns to survive, and we are ostensibly playing a survival game, yes, you should run to the next area even if it is barren.

Protip: I've killed more players with the Blaze and the various shotguns than I ever have with an assault rifle. Something about assault rifles makes the overwhelming majority of bandits and KoS-ers (that I have seen, mind you) stand in the middle of a field/the street and mag-dump at you. Having a 30rnd magazine sucks all the intelligence and tactical thinking from their brain.

Plus, nothing puts a smile on my face quite like listening to just how MAD your kind has a tendency to get when they get killed at all,  much less with a supposedly-inferior weapon.

Wait until admins have access to the coordinates of players, clans will be even more deadly when they are told of your exact position.

this will never be allowed in the current hive situation therefore it will only be mods of dayz whenever that will be 

this will never be allowed in the current hive situation therefore it will only be mods of dayz whenever that will be

I truly hope you are right

I truly hope you are right

if you look at the hive tools tread you can see the devs response on this yourself

And at this time there are no plans to offer teleporting, player location maps, and it is not possible to spawn anything.

Hell, even I can't.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/219023-server-administration-private-shards/

• Like 1

i don't understand why people have a problem with server hopping when they could achieve the same results by just going to a 2hr restart server and taking a 2hr loot route. 

Hmm.. Well its just simply game breaking in my view, just had a dude appear behind me in a room I'd already checked, drilled me with an AK.  People magically teleporting not exactly good is it?  Server hopping for gear also  negatively affects what is lootable for others too.  I wonder round military places and can't find anything.. Yep, An army of server hoppers has been through.  This is by and large one of the biggest problems with DayZ imo and exposes a huge flaw in the games design.

Needs addressing.

i "server hop" into military bases that are mid pop so i can kill hoppers... am i a bad boy?

When are the devs going to fix the timer? It's easy devs, here, let me help you out with how you should make it......

I'm on Server A...I disconnect and then I reconnect to the same server - I don't wait any time at all to get back in.

If I change server to Server B, I get in right away.

If I fail to connect to Server B, then I can try Server C with no time limit and so on until I find a server I can connect to.

Now I want to connect to Server F, I have to wait 5 minutes

Server G - 10 minutes

Back to Server A - you have to wait 30 minutes

When are the devs going to fix the timer? It's easy devs, here, let me help you out with how you should make it......

I'm on Server A...I disconnect and then I reconnect to the same server - I don't wait any time at all to get back in.

If I change server to Server B, I get in right away.

If I fail to connect to Server B, then I can try Server C with no time limit and so on until I find a server I can connect to.

Now I want to connect to Server F, I have to wait 5 minutes

Server G - 10 minutes

Back to Server A - you have to wait 30 minutes

Nope.

Disconnecting from a server, then being able to jump right back onto that server, no timer? That would lead to ghosting.

Nope.

Disconnecting from a server, then being able to jump right back onto that server, no timer? That would lead to ghosting.

No it doesn't, you need to connect to another server to be able to ghost. If you don't connect, you'll just reappear where you logged out and be vulnerable.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the "30 minutes to rejoin Server A" at the bottom....

woops  :blush:

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

What, you mean sort of like shoplifting. All the reward without the hard work?

With the exception that there is no law or rule against it. You play your way, I'll play my way. Want to kill me for the way I play? That's on you. 

Who doesn't like reward without work? If you were walking down the street and found $10, would you just walk past or would you pocket it? 

With the exception that there is no law or rule against it. You play your way, I'll play my way. Want to kill me for the way I play? That's on you. 

Who doesn't like reward without work? If you were walking down the street and found $10, would you just walk past or would you pocket it? 

That's a whole different question. You play games for fun. Taking your example to the extreme, you would then just want a button called "I win" - I mean why bother playing the game when you can skip right to the end?

Tell me if I'm wrong but is it wrong to change server to loot some stuff and prepare yourself for action in another server? I think not. Gears are not an important thing for me but you must find something good if you wanna be a part of good action in dayZ.

That's a whole different question. You play games for fun. Taking your example to the extreme, you would then just want a button called "I win" - I mean why bother playing the game when you can skip right to the end?

But I think it is fun!

I do it for one reason. i have a job, 2 kids and a wife. if i can get geared up in 1 hour instead of a whole night then so be it, only got limited playing time. besides if i find a friendly chap il help him out. why just the other day in elektro i bumped into a fresh spawn, gave him a ak-74u and some ammo i had for it. unfortunately i had no mags.

any way once i have a gun and a mag thats it for me, i play on a full server and no jumping until the inevitable bitter ending

• Like 2

I play on private servers, not because its gets rid of the server hoppers, but its a nice side effect because I don't have 5 people spawning in behind me when I hit a military base and 50 people haven't looted it already. Still even I am guilty of it somewhat, when I know the server is going to restart soon I head for an area with gear I want and log out until the restart. This isn't exactly server hopping, but at least I'm not sort of ghosting into peoples locations, whoever was or wasn't there before restart it will still be the same.

• Like 1