Sign in to follow this  
NinjaPlatypus

2 main guns

I think players should have the choice to run 2 main guns. By which I mean the rifles, shotguns, and bows. Basically any gun that would take up one the those right or left shoulder slots.

But only if they would be willing to not run a 2 handed melee weapon. Personally since .53 I haven't had an actual axe with me, I run with the ice axe and a hatchet for my melee/woodcutting needs, but a buddy of mine is very much all about playing the game realistically so he loves the axe for zombies because it doesn't make noise or use bullets obviously. I know there are many sidearm options out there but its not the same, and I think this would be a very easy change/addition to the game.

Of course I wouldn't have thought of this if I could just use a Mosin effectively in close range gunfights :rolleyes: but I can't, so I would love the choice to have a long range gun and a faster medium range gun as well.

I think having the ability to carry both a full sized shotgun like the MP-133 and then a Mosin Nagant is both unrealistic in terms of weight and cumbersome-ness and gives a player far too much versatility at one time. 

Plus, it would basically invalidate the advantages of being able to saw down weapons or having pistols at the ready. People would also just put their two handed melee weapons in their backpacks. 

Because, yea. You can do that. That's a thing. Don't forget that's a thing. 

• Like 4

I think having the ability to carry both a full sized shotgun like the MP-133 and then a Mosin Nagant is both unrealistic in terms of weight and cumbersome-ness and gives a player far too much versatility at one time. 

Plus, it would basically invalidate the advantages of being able to saw down weapons or having pistols at the ready. People would also just put their two handed melee weapons in their backpacks. 

Because, yea. You can do that. That's a thing. Don't forget that's a thing.

Meh, we should just go back to the original Doom style and have 10+ weapons.
  • Like 1

I think having the ability to carry both a full sized shotgun like the MP-133 and then a Mosin Nagant is both unrealistic in terms of weight and cumbersome-ness 

240_gunner.jpg

soldiers%20war%20russia%20pkm%20ak47%20s

Trust me its not only doable, but people do it on an often basis.

240_gunner.jpgCorrection, trained military personnel do it.

Correction, trained military personnel do it.

Yeah I forget, it takes intense military training to carry 15 kg if it's in the shape of two long guns. Also I forgot we're going to ignore the fact that the player character starts in good health and has the mechanical know how to swap out parts on firearms, administer blood transfusions and saline bags, set splints, quarter game animals and humans, but carrying two rifles over the shoulder would be something way too intense and require to be a tier 1 operator. It does not take involved skills to shoulder two rifles, or in the case of the second photo, loop it though a backpack strap.

This is about balancing.

43dy3z9a.gif

I have written this kind of post like 3-5x already.... ;)

Sometimes realism must be screwed over for game-balancing-purposes.

Now, if you could carry 2 weapons, like Mosin+M4, or SKS&AKM, etc. etc. you are geared for EVERY situation, you're like the Rambo for CQC and the Sniper from TF2 in 1 person.

But I think, as it is right now, makes DayZ special.

you have to make certain "decisions".

Take M4, and be geared for CQC-med-range, and stay out of snping, long-range-fights, or take the Mosin + maybe sawn off shotgun, so you're geared for sniping and some CQC?

However, you can already carry 2 weapons at the same time, but there is a drawback, because you run slower. So in fact, you CAN carry 2 weapons, and you are geared for every situation, from CQC - long-range. Buuut you are at a disadvantage concerning runningspeed...

Do not forget! We have the option for SMGs like the MP5K, PM73RAK, AK72SU, too!

But right now, you can have an AKM(AKM is just boss right now. Nearly as accurate as the Mosin, deals good damage, drum-magazine + PSO-1-scope), Mosin+LRS on the back, MP5K in your backpack and the Magnum-Revolver in the Chest-holster. That is 1 Revolver, 1 SMG, 1 SniperRifle and 1 AR/"LMG".

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 3

43dy3z9a.gif

Simon Krätschmer! :lol:

ROCKETBEANSTV :wub: :wub: :wub:

(today 20.15 CET -  TE4RS  - it's a wonderful show (Pen&Paper), so everybody who understand german language, watch it! It's worth it  :) )

But right now, you can have an AKM(AKM is just boss right now. Nearly as accurate as the Mosin, deals good damage, drum-magazine + PSO-1-scope), Mosin+LRS on the back, MP5K in your backpack and the Magnum-Revolver in the Chest-holster. That is 1 Revolver, 1 SMG, 1 SniperRifle and 1 AR/"LMG".

Yes you're absolutly right.

I hope stamina in combination with weight balance the hole thing with the guns...

This is about balancing.

I just want to find a rifle and hand it over to a buddy when hes offline. It sucks that I jump into a truck and the AKM that I was going to hand off deletes itself because the vehicle magically eats the gun as I climb in.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with carrying two long arms, or two melee weapons on the back. Anyone carrying a Mosin would be smart to pair that up with a shotgun for close work.

An even better way to facilitate this would be to introduce a three point sling.

Having said that there are some related issues that bug me. We really do need better holster options for secondary arms. I haven't seen a chest holster for a while, so I don't even know if it still spawns. Additionally, it would be nice to have a belt, or a thigh holster. I would like to get my secondary out of my backpack and I think that accessing anything in the pack should have a time penalty, regardless of whether it is a cut-down long arm, a secondary arm, or a melee weapon.

There is nothing new here. All of this has been covered in the past, but I just needed to vent a bit.

Why do I get the impression that this whole discussion takes place due to the bugs that occur around dropping in hand weapons. In game development bugs do eventually get fixed and when dropping a gun on the ground in front of you to unsling the one on your back is smooth, fast and reliable, this won't bother you so much.

Edited by JubeiDOK

Why wouldn't you be able to carry two guns? It should just be sufficiently inconvenient. Now, at this point in development, they shouldn't allow it, there's no weight, no discomfort, nothing to dissuade people. Carrying two rifles shouldn't necessarily be an advantage. Often the opposite. The same goes for stuff like fire axes... why would you carry a freaking fire axe when you could carry 10 full mags of 5.56 for the same weight? Which is why longswords and battle axes were made obsolete centuries ago. The way I see it, fire axes should be coastal bambi weapons. Once you have a decent rifle and ammo, you won't want to carry a giant axe as well. You would go for something lighter like the ice axe or a knife.

I think we should be able to tie a second rifle to your backpack, but there should be a extra shoulder spot for your bow or spear.

Once you have a decent rifle and ammo, you won't want to carry a giant axe as well. You would go for something lighter like the ice axe or a knife.

I like the utility of the axe for splints and kindling/firewood. I guess with the introduction of the hatchet, I don't need the fireaxe anymore. I haven't tested whether the little hatchet can cut down a 2'diameter tree ingame yet though.

You can already carry around an immense amount of firepower without the addition of more carrying capability. You can even carry two main guns right now! Just use your hands, it's amazing!

And before anyone complains about bugs with dropping stuff, yes, that is a problem right now, but do take into account that these kinds of bugs will be fixed. 

Well, the dev is talking about being able to dissassemble guns and put their parts into your backpack, so maybe carry a M4 on your back and if you see a player running around a town you just sit down and assemble your mosin.

Well, the dev is talking about being able to dissassemble guns and put their parts into your backpack, so maybe carry a M4 on your back and if you see a player running around a town you just sit down and assemble your mosin.

But I don't think (dis)-assembling a Mosin would work...

The guns it would work with (as far as I know) right now: M4 and Blaze 95. The Trombone-.22-shotgun-like-rifle will also be added in the near future, AFAIK.

Don't see why I shouldn't be able to. As it is right now, I can sling a mosin on my back, then run with a shotgun in my hands. Or cut down the double barreled one, stuff it into my backpack and i'm set. Or go with a Mosin and the AKS-74u, which I do as often as I can.

240_gunner.jpg

They already have this in the game. You can sling one weapon on your back, and carry another in your hands. 

Here's what I think. I think the current system should remain unchanged, but they should add a new attachment for weapons that you can build or find. A two-point harness for the gun. So, if you carry a gun in your hands that has a two point harness, you can 'drop' it to interact with other things, and rather than it going on the ground, it falls onto its sling in front of you, then you can pick it back up when you're done.

I think this is fair because players SHOULD have to put down or away whatever is in their hand to interact with things. But we should also be able to bring two guns with us. This should also cost us in maneuverability and weight once the stamina system is implemented.