Sign in to follow this  
Caccio72

Breaking/smashing doors/windows

This is a simple question, and no matter how strange it looks, the answer to it is of great importance to me.

I don't know in which exact phase of development the game is right now, but is it possible to break or smash building's or house's doors and windows yet? Or at least windows, in order to jump in or out through them.......

That sound of their CRASH instantly boosts (or releases?) my adrenaline (or frustration?) each single time I hear it in computer games, LOL!

Actually, without those sounds I cannot truly enjoy playing a zombie survival horror game......

I plan to buy the game today, but if that feature is still not implemented/installed, (or fixed), I shall delay my purchase till it's done.

Edited by Caccio72

Then you should delay buying DayZ and go for Project Zomboid, there you can smash as many windows and doors you want, and the windows does a really nice sound when smashed!

We still don't have even the option to jump over windows, they are unbreackable and so are doors. Idk if this will change man, maybe doors will but windows... In DayZ everything that depends on the building interiors is kinda hard to conceive imo, because they are all disproportional.

Thou it would be really cool if zeds could pass through windows or break them!

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

Well in State Of Decay they sure can......I don't know much about game development, but isn't SoD a smaller, and much more simple game than dayZ?I mean its creators probably spent much less time and effort with the game, and still managed to implement that feature successfully, even along with relatively intelligent zombie AIs, which often use the advantages of it......

However, I got bored of SoD, it is too smiple for me, too few items, too more important quests, (even in Breakdown DLC), so too few truly FREE AND OPEN gameplay possibilities, always the same only one map, which I already know by heart, without any new, unexpected events, innovations or features.....and the most important, only AIs with very limited intelligence and very predictable reactions, no chance to play with or against REAL PEOPLE, which is actually the true challenge in this game genre.

Well yes, I guess I will have to delay buying DayZ for now, until at least windows will become breakable and passable, IF (as you indicated) that will ever happen at all......

Thanks for the info though, you saved me 28 euros and a disappointment!

Don't get me wrong, the game (according the gameplay videos) looks real nice, cool, and attractive, and all my respects to its developers for their achievements in it so far, graphics, sound effects, ambience, diversity, etc, but with such a serious omission, (at least for my taste), as unbreakable and even non-passable windows, I am not willing to start playing it. The game realism is just too important for me to try it out.yet.

Thanks again for the info!

Caccio out!

Edited by Caccio72
  • Like 1

locked doors can be opened with an axe or a lockpick. That's about as far as we are at this point. 

If you don't have the game it's hard to recommend that someone buys it in its current state. It can be pretty painful at times.

If you don't have the game it's hard to recommend that someone buys it in its current state. It can be pretty painful at times.

My last few deaths in a nutshell.

Death by hacker.

Death by hacker.

Death by glitch.

Death by hacker.

Death by lag.

Death by game crash while unconscious/handcuffed/etc

Death by hacker.

Yeah this game can be rather frustrating.

Well in State Of Decay they sure can......I don't know much about game development, but isn't SoD a smaller, and much more simple game than dayZ?I mean its creators probably spent much less time and effort with the game, and still managed to implement that feature successfully, even along with relatively intelligent zombie AIs, which often use the advantages of it......

However, I got bored of SoD, it is too smiple for me, too few items, too more important quests, (even in Breakdown DLC), so too few truly FREE AND OPEN gameplay possibilities, always the same only one map, which I already know by heart, without any new, unexpected events, innovations or features.....and the most important, only AIs with very limited intelligence and very predictable reactions, no chance to play with or against REAL PEOPLE, which is actually the true challenge in this game genre.

Well yes, I guess I will have to delay buying DayZ for now, until at least windows will become breakable and passable, IF (as you indicated) that will ever happen at all......

Thanks for the info though, you saved me 28 euros and a disappointment!

Don't get me wrong, the game (according the gameplay videos) looks real nice, cool, and attractive, and all my respects to its developers for their achievements in it so far, graphics, sound effects, ambience, diversity, etc, but with such a serious omission, (at least for my taste), as unbreakable and even non-passable windows, I am not willing to start playing it. The game realism is just too important for me to try it out.yet.

Thanks again for the info!

Caccio out!

You are most welcome my friend. Let me tell you something, if you don't mind top-down isometric 2d game I recommend you to take a look at Project Zomboid. Its all you discribed you want, and in my experience is a AMAZING game with a very solid gameplay, really complex and has multiplayer aswell. Take a look at it man, you might not regret it!

Here is a funny review of the game:

Edited by Avant-Garde

No. As people have told you. We can't do pretty much anything with windows and doors right now. There's a few thing with the doors like locking them and break them for a short while. But the reason that we can't do anything is because of the old engine. When they switch entirely from the old one to Enfusion, they should be able to do breakable windows, doors ect. Don't know how long we will have to wait though. But it will probably be in the game at the same time boarding gets added

Barricading is supposed to be a pretty important feature, so busting down windows will surely be included. When? Within a year I would think.

Death by hacker.

Death by hacker.

Death by glitch.

Death by hacker.

Death by lag.

Death by hacker.

You clearly play on the wrong servers :D

For the OP - you can not really desroy glass but it makes a really nice sound when you "smash" it ;)

Well thanks to those who suggest Project Zomboid, Zombieland, and similar old fashioned games to me, I actually AM an old school gamer, but if it is about new, modern games, especially with an apocalyptic zombie survival topic, even I do have my expectations about the game graphics, ambience, and realism. (the right "feeling" you know.....)

As I just read here, there is already a way here to break doors, and because of barricading, windows will also play an important role in the game, at least once in the future, so DayZ may still turn out to be a perfect game for me one day.

Thanks for all the feedback, informations, and advices again!

Edited by Caccio72

One thing I do know is that some of the windows are already broken out and so you often shoot through them or poke an appropriate melee item through them. I killed a zombie that was unable to get into the house I had stepped into through a broken window by jabbing it with a stun baton. 

Btw, I saw youtube gameplays, heard comments, and read complaints that there are still too few zombies in the game, so that it is much more centered/focused on PvP than actually zombie killing/surviving action....is that still so?

If yes, is it planned to be changed, meaning the gameplay focus to be shifted towards zombie battling instead of PvP?

That will normally require much more zombies, and also their AIs to be improved/increased I guess......

Edited by Caccio72

Zombie AI is one of the next big things they will be working on. I am waiting to see what they do with that. After that they might be able to add more zombies or they might have to wait for the renderer portion of the engine to help optimize things a bit so that too many zombies do not cause too much lag. They WANT to have many, many, many, more zombies in the game but it is an Alpha and they are working out bugs and developing ways to do things. 

Death by hacker.

Death by hacker.

Death by glitch.

Death by hacker.

Death by lag.

Death by hacker.

I know you are just trying to help with the topic, but just a friendly heads up, if you talk about the truth of hacking levels on the game the threads can be deleted by the moderators. So just a warning so we don't make good threads get deleted by the moderators.

It sucks we can't discuss true things but, hey, guess that is Alpha shit.

I keep hearing about DeadZ hackers, what is it what they actually do?

I mean how can you guys recognize them while playing?

And again, I know as well as nothing about game development, and really wouldn't like to turn out some "wiseguy", but wouldn't it be good for the developers to set certain PRIORITIES, and add, fix, or improve game elements and issues in a planned row, instead of working on so many things at the same time? (as You mentioned)

For example, shouldn't they focus/concentrate to zombie AI 1st, and leave less important features. like fixing small, actually almost insignificant bugs in graphics, adding more new weapons, items, equipment, NPCs, events, locations, buildings, vehicles to drive, and similar stuff for later?

I am asking this since I keep reading about improvements in each new dayZ version, where mostly only such less important changes are listed.......its as if one would start furnishing his new house before even its roof is finished, or painting his new car before even its engine is installed.

1st the basics, then the decorations I mean......

Edited by Caccio72

That old arguement ^^ .. No, it's not better that way.. Game development can't be understood with metaphors (only with logic and math) or compared to other things like priorities in auto body work or anything really for that matter, as game developement is a culmination of many different systems and is sensitive to new content being coded in .

If you create one system in full , it's only going to break when you add another parallel system , therefore, to avoid this , it requires many different people with seperate skill sets to be working on something all at once so that they work smoothly together (and push out new content at a reasonable rate) . Otherwise , if the developers said " ok let's just finish up zombies for good" then what we would get is 3 months straight with no patches but zombie content and for those 3 months no one would be able to work on anything because not everyone hired to develop dayz deals with coding , ai , or zombies at all so everyone thinks this "fluff" (art content and new items) is ruining the game development process , but really it has no strain on development process and it's the only sensible way to Develop a video game especially one with an open public alpha.

Tl;dr: not everybody in the dev team works on coding , zombies , or ai, so to assume that adding new items and art content is hindering the development process of the overall features , is wrong .

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 1

I would love to see doors splinter into pieces etc. 

I would also love to see all doors accessible. I know this wont happen....but its on the wish list.

I keep hearing about DeadZ hackers, what is it what they actually do?

I mean how can you guys recognize them while playing?

And again, I know as well as nothing about game development, and really wouldn't like to turn out some "wiseguy", but wouldn't it be good for the developers to set certain PRIORITIES, and add, fix, or improve game elements and issues in a planned row, instead of working on so many things at the same time? (as You mentioned)

For example, shouldn't they focus/concentrate to zombie AI 1st, and leave less important features. like fixing small, actually almost insignificant bugs in graphics, adding more new weapons, items, equipment, NPCs, events, locations, buildings, vehicles to drive, and similar stuff for later?

I am asking this since I keep reading about improvements in each new dayZ version, where mostly only such less important changes are listed.......its as if one would start furnishing his new house before even its roof is finished, or painting his new car before even its engine is installed.

1st the basics, then the decorations I mean......

They actually are improving zombies, I can't seem to find the post but somewhere on the forum is a post which explains how they have been improving zombies and how the number of them will increase.

They also explained that the path finding works fine but were working to make zombies more aware of their surroundings and the wall glitches were actually due to server lag not a lack of path finding.

They also stated the number of zombies was going to be boosted up to 3000? without performance issues but these changes were still being tested.

Wish I could find that post....

^^^ Everything above is as close to accurate as I can remember without actually finding the post, So i apologize if I got something wrong I did only read the post once and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream?

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin

I still think, that (for example) merely adding significantly more zombies to DayZ, even with crappy AI, would have a positive influence on its gameplay, by shifting its orientation at least a bit toward PvE (players vs zombies), instead of he currently ruling, almost constant PvP. (which is by no doubt also an important, interesting part of the game, but I still think it should be reduced, limited, or at least moderated in some way)

Edited by Caccio72

You are most welcome my friend. Let me tell you something, if you don't mind top-down isometric 2d game I recommend you to take a look at Project Zomboid. Its all you discribed you want, and in my experience is a AMAZING game with a very solid gameplay, really complex and has multiplayer aswell. Take a look at it man, you might not regret it!

Here is a funny review of the game:

Love Macks Corner and WaB but in that YT video is also a link to his "Nether" update which basically states the game is still just as shit as most of us here thought it would be. I saved myself the price of the game though :) Going to by PZ later.