Sign in to follow this  
nillie

Some tips on finding magazines and crash sites.

Hello,

Where can i find the following items on a normal public server :

- Magazines or clips for assault rifles

- Weapon scopes

I have been to every military base, camp and airfield 3 times already over the past couple of days, running up and down the map like a madman. I have found some assault rifles, and i am carrying enough ammunition of all types to start a private war, but i always end up leaving the rifles behind because i cant find clips for them. Its getting very frustrating to loot .22 clips everywhere, but never find a clip for an AK.

Also, i cant find any scopes for any weapon. Where can i find these? I have found a long range scope in houses before, but what about scopes for assault rifles etc?

Should i try and find crash sites? I havent seen a single one, and it seems like looking for a needle in a haystack on normal public servers... 

Should i just stop looking for them at military bases and stick with what i have got (SKS unscoped) ? it is after all a huge risk to keep visiting these locations, as i am bound to run into bandits or KoS-ers sooner or later there.

• Like 1

You can find LRS and PU scopes in civilian loot spots. Garages, pubs and taverns are a good place to find them. I've only found ever AKM magazines at long barracks, but they're not that rare in my experience. AK101 and AK74 mags are harder to find, and mags for the M4 and Steyr can only be found at crash sites as far as I know.

Personally, unless it's an AKM I don't bother with assault rifles anymore. 

• Like 2

You will only find AK mags and scopes in barracks or at Russian crash sites. You will only find Steyrs and M4s, and their mags and attachments, at American crash sites.

Crash site running used to be a rewarding and relatively easy playstyle. Now it is not. The American (smoking) sites are mixed in with Russian (non-smoking) ones, and, while there's still some speculation on this, the received opinion is that they only spawn as visible models on non-persistent servers. The Russian sites usually do not spawn loot as good as the American ones, although they do drop AKs now and then.

Partly because there just aren't that many non-persistent servers, they are now jam-packed with aggressive people hunting crashes and murdering each other in the process.

As a freshie a couple of days ago I was lucky enough to find an AKM and a couple of mags at the Pavlovo base as I moved north off the coast. Stick with it and you will find one eventually.

At a pinch, though, there is nothing that much wrong with an SKS or a Mosin. People who are good at PvP seem to do fine with them.

• Like 2

Thanks for this information. Now i know i should not be wasting my time searching for a dangerous needle in a haystack, as i already assumed. I have been trying to just get a scope for my SKS, searching pubs and garage boxes as you guys pointed out. I have found multiple LRS scopes, but so far only 1 PU which was damaged :(. But i will keep searching thanks to you guys !

One more question, or rather a statement. I dont know if this is true or false, so please correct me if i am wrong. I see a lot of people running around on my last few servers, who have got some verry good and rare items like drum magazines, press vests, fully custom AK's and mp5s etc. Also a lot of ghillie suits, which seem to be pretty rare given the reduced spawns of netting. Are these players server hopping all the time to get those items? Or is it safe to say that they come from a public clan server where the admin may have helped them by spawning some good loot? I have been to servers where there are messages saying that the admin spawns items in certain locations. Is this only for private shards or does this happen on public clan servers as well? That doesnt really seem fair to me :( . Or maybe these guys are just lucky to get that gear, or kill people who had the gear before them? 

I cant seem to connect to most clan servers as i get insta kicked. 

Thanks again for your replies guys !

Edited by nillie

Drum magazines aren't that rare in my experience. I found two of them the last time I visited Veresnik.

Many of those guys will be serial server hoppers. Some of them will be good PvPers (or, frankly, cheats) who take the best gear from those they kill. Some will just have survived for a long time, and who have accumulated good equipment over the weeks or months as a result (my last character was alive for three and a half months, for example).

In the last patch (0.51) we had 'lootgasms' where huge amounts of pristine gear would pile up in barracks and other military locations. The floor would be a riot of AKs and mags. A lot of people (quite legitimately) took advantage of that - and much of that equipment probably survives.

I'm pretty sure admins on public servers can't deliberately 'spawn good loot', but could be wrong. All that stuff you see in server names like "MEGA HIGH MILITARY LEWTZ", etc, etc, is bollocks. The real difference is between persistent and non-persistent servers. The former tends to very random distributions, where parts of the map (eg the coast) will have little if any loot at all and some locations still lootgasm. Non-persistent servers tend to be a bit more uniform as everything respawns on restart.

Assault rifles and their attachments are definitely more rare now than they were three or four patches ago. However, like Sacha, I don't seem to have had a problem finding mags in barracks. Make sure you are looking properly under the bunks. If necessary go prone and first person to see properly.

Yes, you will get instakicked from many clan servers, and this has become worse recently IME. You can (in theory) complain to the server provider if you can identify them, as there are clear rules that prohibit such things.

• Like 1

..//..

( 1 )  I'm pretty sure admins on public servers can't deliberately 'spawn good loot', but could be wrong. 

..//..

( 2 ) All that stuff you see in server names like "MEGA HIGH MILITARY LEWTZ", etc, etc, is bollocks.

I'll comment on ( 2 ) first, thanx..

( 2 ) = completely true - anything in the PUBLIC server name string  has nothing to do with what happens in the server, this is the same if the string says "friendly" "clan only" "RP" "high loot" etc.. All PUBLIC servers are the same and only the Admins are different. Zero differences in loot or anything else.

You will also see "JOIN=KICK" and "JOIN=CHAR RESET" and "HIGH LOOT" and TEST SERVER, DO NOT JOIN" and "WHITELIST" and  "CLAN ONLY" in the descriptions of PUBLIC servers- all these things are strictly illegal according to the Public server written rules, but look at the list of servers and see how many say those things. Many, many, many; many..Everyone knows this.

ABOUT KICKING:

The reason to keep your "clan server" 'Public' and kick 'not-my-mate'  players is simple - firstly it's CHEAPER - A Public server is CHEAPER than a Private server. Secondly, no one "in authority" does anything about it, evidence is almost impossible to prove. VERY many letters on these forums point out, even when proved, no action is taken .. except in the rarest cases. (a Public Admin really has to be a drunken racist sexist foul-mouthed bloody-minded idiot head-banger and keep on doing it, to have his server closed, and probably it's only really closed because he didn't pay his rent either). This forum can do nothing about it - and that is Official - so complaints or comments will be sent to read the RULES and the thread will be closed.

It's hard to find a Public server that will accept an 'ordinary' player. (I have a shortlist of 5 medium-ping servers where I have always been treated fairly, and THANK YOU for that, honest Admins)

But I like to laugh at all the "clan only" servers in the evenings (try it yourself, list them) who have only 1 or 2 players on them, and the 50+ Public servers that are closed ZERO players ("Wait For Server"), while the REAL fair Public servers have 9, 15, 29, 35, 37, 40 players. (I have a great sense of humor, I laugh at the poor lonely kicker-Admins who think they are playing DayZ).

( 1 ) This brings the second point - WHY keep your server public if you want to keep it 'private' for your few buddies (apart from being CHEAPER)?

Well - the answer is easy:

Where I live the TEN closest Public Servers (pings  of 30-47) all do the same thing. After 10-11pm when the game starts to calm down, the Admins restart the server FREQUENTLY... every 10-20 mins.. This keeps strange players away, and the Admin and his 2 mates can loot all they like with no stress.

See? You are a public server but you keep it private for the hours you want to loot, so you can gear up and go play tomorrow peak hours on another PUBLIC server. But If you pay EXTRA for a Private server, you can't do that.

A new twist I noticed here in my area - ( rule: an Admin can close his server down when he wants ) - I found a server that only opens after 11pm, and all the hills just South of NWAF are full of tents.. the 3 guys who use it, are hardly ever there - they server hop to stock up their own Public server, then close it down after a couple of hours, to keep their gear safe till they want it.

I was gonna put this server address on the forum.. but ... what the hell .... check out servers that ONLY turn up for an hour or so a day - ya get my drift ?

OFF TOPIC : A problem NOW is Private servers are more EXPENSIVE than Public and they also stop you from using Public (except as a newspawn). AND the real prob is Private servers are NOT linking shards. If 5 or 10 Private servers linked to one shard it might get to be real interesting.

xx pilgrim

(I used to worry about this stuff too)

ps - I haven't heard an automatic firing for a month or so - out in the sticks players fight with repeaters, shotguns, revolvers, spades.. there is still plenty of fighting, but more talking and negotiating. There could be an SKS or a Mosin around, open sights are fine.. Mainly, if the dude points the gun at you and does nothing hes bluffing he doesn't have any ammo, just hit him with your axe.

I think the assault rifle 'mucho-ammo' players stick to specific areas and specific servers. They have a different game.

In the 'country', the main problem starting up is usually food, whole towns are looted dry.. I can search a day for matches or a knife, then I hunt. I wear worn gear because that's what I find and also I think it's harder to see. Pick up a sewing kit so they don't get worse. If you need waterproof, a yellow raincoat has 4 pockets (fill them) and then it fits into 4 slots in your backpack (so really takes no space, right), you can drag your hard-to-see jacket/shirt to the raincoat and they change places. If you have a gun or bandages, whatever, in the raincoat you can still use them from your toolbar, even when its in your backpack.

Use a shotgun as your main weapon, both barrels at once will totally sort out anyone you point it at in any kind of building. (They have to hit you three times with an automatic to be sure, you just pull both barrels at once (They dead, you bandaging). If you want to be fancy keep a sawnoff as second, you can get it out faster than reload in case the dead dude has a friend who thinks you've shot your wad. A revolver is good for hunting (or emergency backup, but you should not need that) a crafted bow is better (no noise), and you can throw it away make another. keep the rope.

[[edit:] The readymade compound arrows are useful if you find them, saves time crafting, usually you can recover the arrow if you hit the critter. .. or the dude - I 'not tried eatin' dudes yet.. hmm.. not too sure about that one.. I'd rather eat a few live frogs and some insects, I guess if I had the choice (ok Bohemia?)

worms are FULL of 99.99% protein too, Bohemia, ok? Ought to be able to collect about 20 worms in an empty can, and if ya want you should cook them up, I figure. (bohemia, ya' hear me, along when we have to boil water? Worms in an old can, ok?) I never got the rabbit snare to catch anything yet, but I ain't seen 1 rabbit for about 6 months, maybe they all died? ANYONE seen a rabbit ?? Rabbits used to keep me company, and count ammo, and drink beer in the bushes, but now they all GONE ]]

Mainly learn to use cover and MOVE.

You don't need military gear at all as long as you can make fire.

Keep your axe sharp - In fact 'damaged' is as good as you can sharpen it with a stone, which is Dumb, so your axe is always 'damaged' and rusted to shit - so every time you cut something check its not gone 'badly damaged' and sharpen it again right now!

In Europe, if you want to fight, go on THORIUM Server, daytime... do an SAS kill on the first player you meet (.. I mean kill them with Anthing) .. then you're kitted.

(sorry people, another long boring post saying stuff everyone said before. thanx for reading and am I wrong anywhere?)

xx enjoy

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

The reason to keep your "clan server" 'Public' and kick 'not-my-mate'  players is simple - firstly it's CHEAPER - A Public server is CHEAPER than a Private server. Secondly, no one "in authority" does anything about it, evidence is almost impossible to prove. VERY many letters on these forums point out, even when proved, no action is taken .. except in the rarest cases. (a Public Admin really has to be a drunken racist sexist foul-mouthed bloody-minded idiot head-banger and keep on doing it, to have his server closed, and probably it's only really closed because he didn't pay his rent either). This forum can do nothing about it - and that is Official - so complaints or comments will be sent to read the RULES and the thread will be closed.

Excellent post and very true, IME. The kicking, if anything, seems worse since the introduction of private shards.

We seem to have a specific problem in the UK that whole swathes of our 'official' (eg Gaming Deluxe) servers appear in the list but seem to be broken. Meanwhile, many of the others are stuck in a night cycle, perhaps as a result of the massed restart after the DDOS issue. So Scandinavian, Dutch, French and German servers are very popular.

The best solution is to carefully manage your favourites list. But as things stand, server management seems to be one of the biggest problems from a practical POV.

• Like 1

I have 300hr's into the game and I have only found 3 crash sites, 2 american and 1 russian. All were unlooted. The first american crash site I looted then got PK'ed while leaving. They are not easy to find. You also have to get fairly close to the crash site to see it. At least on my PC. The smoking crash site looks like someone has a camp fire lol.

I have 300hr's into the game and I have only found 3 crash sites, 2 american and 1 russian. All were unlooted. The first american crash site I looted then got PK'ed while leaving. They are not easy to find. You also have to get fairly close to the crash site to see it. At least on my PC. The smoking crash site looks like someone has a camp fire lol.

You should be able to see a NATO crash site (a smoking UH-1) out to about 1km distance. If you can't, have a look at your rendering distance and other graphics settings. In theory you should be able to see an Mi-8 at the same distance, but they're just a lot less noticeable because of the lack of smoke.

Also, binoculars can be very helpful, obviously.

You should be able to see a NATO crash site (a smoking UH-1) out to about 1km distance. If you can't, have a look at your rendering distance and other graphics settings. In theory you should be able to see an Mi-8 at the same distance, but they're just a lot less noticeable because of the lack of smoke.

Also, binoculars can be very helpful, obviously.

The last one I found was at 600m distance when I noticed it. I need new graphics cards. Im in the process of upgrading my PC. I also play at 1680x1050 @ normal settings. I just have bad luck when finding them I guess. Without scoring a V3S/Jerrycan I don't see a fast way of finding them without server jumping, which is something I don't like to do.

The last one I found was at 600m distance when I noticed it. I need new graphics cards. Im in the process of upgrading my PC. I also play at 1680x1050 @ normal settings. I just have bad luck when finding them I guess. Without scoring a V3S/Jerrycan I don't see a fast way of finding them without server jumping, which is something I don't like to do.

Try this: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212915-mookies-guide-to-helicopter-hunting/

• Like 1

*snip*

(sorry people, another long boring post saying stuff everyone said before. thanx for reading and am I wrong anywhere?)

xx

That was some interesting information for someone who does not follow server policy or server conduct as closely.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Just for some closure on this topic, in case anybody searches it.

At the time of posting this, we are playing 0.52 public persistent.

6 days and 2 characters after creating this topic (i got killed searching for mags at the various military areas, as predicted), i have finaly found an AK 101 mag ! I found the actual AK101 two days earlier in roughly the same location, and had to run around with an SKS in my hand and the AK on my back for two days straight. Verry awkward, as a lot of barracks are crawling with Z's, and its a miracle i didnt lose the SKS by dropping it accidently along the way. Anyway, my hard work and searching finaly paid off. Apparently somebody forget to check under the bunk beds in one of the long barracks at Pavlova.

On a  side note, I have found AKM magazines the day before at the long barracks at Veresnik base if anyone is interested. In my searches for the illusive AK 101 mag, i also came across some attachements (buttstocks and handguards, unfortunatly no rail handguard or scope) for the various AK's. 90% of those where inside Pavlovo barracks, and i found a folding stock in Zelenogorsk, but left it behind. 

I have not yet found a non-damaged PU Scope in the afformentionned civilian locations, but there where plenty of long range scopes.

So to summarize : it took me about 10 days of running between the different long barracks in the west, with regular stops at the tent sites as well, to find a single AK 101 magazine.

Maybe i was unlucky, or maybe this is normal. Just saying : It seems to me they are quite rare ! I On another side note, i found like 8 nettings spread out over 2 boat sites on the southeast coast, and managed to make a full ghillie suit in just 2 hours of searching for burlap sacks !

Thanks all for the great info in this topic.

Edited by nillie

I have 400 hours and I've seen 1 crash site, and that was because I logged into my friend's server because they're shit at PvP and they needed me to help them ;)

Severograd is absolutely stacked with garages. A lot of them have LRS and other attachments inside.

Found 2 PU Scopes and 1 LRS today.