Nymphicus

Why am I still getting major FPS problems in and out of citys?

Specs are in attached image

I currently have the game installed on my ssd, and it boots like a champ, without or without -nosplash in the launch options. 

I recently bought a GTX 980 and installed it in my system, a nice upgrade from my old 670 which is now my dedicated PhysX card, anything i throw at the system is just destroyed and all on max graphics, I have been a long time player of the DayZ franchise from mod to standalone and love it, however the game is almost unplayable in standalone with my fps being below 60 when out in the middle of a field looking at nothing but a few trees, and dipping into the 20-30's when in any sort of town/city.

My setting are as low as they can be apart from my resolution which is 1920x1080, is there anything in my system limiting my performance for some reason?

-My cpu is also overclocked at 4.2GHz it doesnt seem to show in speccy for some reason.

-RAM is also OC'd at 1866MHz not 1600.

post-224392-0-09327100-1420395038_thumb.

Edited by Nymphicus

Because the designers decided features are more important than framerate.

Edited by jackevin99999

Because the designers decided features are more important than framerate.

^ is this true?

^ is this true?

Yes. As long as the game is still in early development, it is.

Features are added in first, then comes optimization, bug squashing and polish.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 3

Yes. As long as the game is still in early development, it is.

Features are added in first, then comes optimization, bug squashing and polish.

Why add features and push aside optimisation to make the game unplayable and down right a pain in the arse to play a lot

Because the game is in the process of being built. If you start polishing it, you'll have to do it again after adding more things in later.

All games are developed like that, but normally you don't get to see it. In DayZ you do, if you want to and if you can live with it being unfinished.

Of not, it would be better to wait for release.

• Like 2

Because the game is in the process of being built. If you start polishing it, you'll have to do it again after adding more things in later.

All games are developed like that, but normally you don't get to see it. In DayZ you do, if you want to and if you can live with it being unfinished.

Of not, it would be better to wait for release.

Why not work on the core of the game and get the engine running to its fullest, then add features in as you go, and if needed change the engine to work with those features keeping performance and optimisation in mind

There is one tutorial what helped me with my fps, a lot. It could also help you 

• Like 1

Most of the problem right now is how render-er handle things. it is like, if you are in cherno, each and every items in novo will get calculated and this will reduce your fps like alot because in dayz there are like 10^10000000 items i thin :D, it will do this while it still can't use your whole PC power. if you monitor your game, you will see dayz use like 20-25% of your Graphic card (i don't confirm this, i dunno how to, but people are saying it all around the net) and the engine can not support whole your cpu cores (or threads, correct me if i'm wrong) and it will use 3 cores(threats!!!). and lots of other stuff we dunno about.

but in Q1 2015, there is a new renderer coming and it will be epic, bringing DX10 or 11 and a major FPS boost, also alot of other possibilities like spray paint any item you want and allowing devs to start work on new controls and new UI.

Just wait while they are making it happen, they have their prioritize :D

EDIT: 

Why not work on the core of the game and get the engine running to its fullest, then add features in as you go, and if needed change the engine to work with those features keeping performance and optimisation in mind

As i said, there are priorities. and it's not our job to set them.

Plus, they are already working on it, just it will come after other stuff because  it need much more time to be completed.

just like the process of throwing items or ragdolls which took like 12~14 month to be done (as dean stated)

Edited by VahidkinG
  • Like 1

The game is in alpha. Its not a finished product. If you would like to play the game, find a way to get a higher FPS or get a new computer. They spend money with optimization and bug fixing and polishing. With new features comes new bugs. So why fix the bugs while you add in features and spend money, When you could have all of the bugs and polishing and stuff done after everything was added into the game? Don't get me wrong, they do fix some bugs. But only the major ones that effect gameplay so much that the game is unplayable. Any small bugs, optimization and the end polishing and such are roadmaps away.

The game is in alpha. Its not a finished product. If you would like to play the game, find a way to get a higher FPS or get a new computer. They spend money with optimization and bug fixing and polishing. With new features comes new bugs. So why fix the bugs while you add in features and spend money, When you could have all of the bugs and polishing and stuff done after everything was added into the game? Don't get me wrong, they do fix some bugs. But only the major ones that effect gameplay so much that the game is unplayable. Any small bugs, optimization and the end polishing and such are roadmaps away.

GET A NEW COMPUTER??

WAT

Most of the problem right now is how render-er handle things. it is like, if you are in cherno, each and every items in novo will get calculated and this will reduce your fps like alot because in dayz there are like 10^10000000 items i thin :D, it will do this while it still can't use your whole PC power. if you monitor your game, you will see dayz use like 20-25% of your Graphic card (i don't confirm this, i dunno how to, but people are saying it all around the net) and the engine can not support whole your cpu cores (or threads, correct me if i'm wrong) and it will use 3 cores(threats!!!). and lots of other stuff we dunno about.

but in Q1 2015, there is a new renderer coming and it will be epic, bringing DX10 or 11 and a major FPS boost, also alot of other possibilities like spray paint any item you want and allowing devs to start work on new controls and new UI.

Just wait while they are making it happen, they have their prioritize :D

EDIT: 

As i said, there are priorities. and it's not our job to set them.

Plus, they are already working on it, just it will come after other stuff because  it need much more time to be completed.

just like the process of throwing items or ragdolls which took like 12~14 month to be done (as dean stated)

I would love the introduction of DX10 or 11 it would be so much better

• Like 1

I would love the introduction of DX10 or 11 it would be so much better

Yepe, i can not imagine how beautiful chernarus gets with DX10.

Also, it will effect lightning. we won't see light going through walls or other bugs with it right now or lack of tech. i remember a dev (brian maybe) said this that we can paint an item what ever color we want. simply by adding a mask to the textures and not by changing textures. 

EDIT: and mate don't worry about the fps, your not alone. i remember someone with two Titan SLI bi*tching about FPS. i myself get around 30~40 in forests and i'm so embarrassed to talk about my FPS in cities :D 

Edited by VahidkinG

Yepe, i can not imagine how beautiful chernarus gets with DX10.

Also, it will effect lightning. we won't see light going through walls or other bugs with it right now or lack of tech. i remember a dev (brian maybe) said this that we can paint an item what ever color we want. simply by adding a mask to the textures and not by changing textures. 

If they're taking this long to implement all these new rendering techniques, why didnt they just use the Arma 3 Engine to begin with, and get rid of all the time it would take to implement DX11, since they already did it when making the arma 3 engine?

right now DayZ isn't exactly optimized yet so you have to be patient until the new engine arrives.

right now DayZ isn't exactly optimized yet so you have to be patient until the new engine arrives.

It's already been a year, and they did hire a brand new studio to help them with the core features, Dean Hall doesnt really seem to be doing much, couldnt he help optimize?

These are just ideas, take them with a grain of salt.

It's already been a year, and they did hire a brand new studio to help them with the core features, Dean Hall doesnt really seem to be doing much, couldnt he help optimize?

These are just ideas, take them with a grain of salt.

Dean hall isn't working for bohemia anymore, you need to pay more attention to the recent events.

• Like 1

If they're taking this long to implement all these new rendering techniques, why didnt they just use the Arma 3 Engine to begin with, and get rid of all the time it would take to implement DX11, since they already did it when making the arma 3 engine?

i'm not in palace to answer this one, the product leader usually make this kind of choices.

but i can say this, new render-er is not just about DX10/11 and i don't think at the start they even wanted to do a DX upgrade. just look at how Dean talked about how sold numbers changed the development of the game. but for you know, ARMA 3's render-er it's not the perfect fit for this game. it can not manage lots of items.  also it's not the best engine too. they made a whole new engine named Infusion which is still a W.I.P but fit for survival uses. 

Also it could take alot to port the things they made base on arma 2.5  engine. 

i really don't know the main course of their choices and can't defend it properly. the only thing i know is they made a pretty great process in 1 year.

EDIT: yeah, Dean is gone but as he said this can be good for product since he is good in risking and this risks can ruin the game.

also, that brand new studio help them for Zombie and Animal AI, Animal mechanics, Nav-meshs, path finding. not the Engine it self.

i remember in some dev stream, brian said only 1 person is working on new render-er, i don't really know why just 1 people but it most be because they want it to be really good. because a man knows the codes he made better than anyone and can make the best of them.  

Edited by VahidkinG

Dean hall isn't working for bohemia anymore, you need to pay more attention to the recent events.

He never officially said he left Bohemia, all he said was he is looking for people in his new studio, as far as I'm aware.

Fair enough.

Nevertheless I still am uneasy that dean hall will leave his project so early into development, at least get into beta stage before calling quits, amirite?

there was two reasons why he left, first was personal (being away from home for long time), second was what he said" i'm really good at risk and make people to take risks, it's good for start of a product or a new idea but it will get to an state which risks can ruin the game,and this is DayZ's time. also he was un-comfortable with working for others and he wanted to be his boss.

and oh, the third was he is looking for best multi-player experience and dayz it's just not that. tough it is fun IMO. 

in another note he said he will be always involve in dayz somehow. i don't know how that work for him anyway :D

Edited by VahidkinG

Fair enough.

Nevertheless I still am uneasy that dean hall will leave his project so early into development, at least get into beta stage before calling quits, amirite?

his job at bohemia was only supposed to last for 6 months, but it's been 3 years now and he's tired. + In my humble opinion DayZ has been improving at a much faster rate since he left and that's all what matters to me :D

Aaaand, that's enough off-topic ranting for the Troubleshooting forum tonight.

For now, OP has his answer. The game is still early in development.

Case, and topic, closed.

• Like 3