Dagwood

Least favorite game features

No, this is a stupid mechanic. What you're suggesting is just silly.

"I refuse to do something in a video game filled with zombies because it isn't realistic!"

Lol.

Why do you care so much? If he wants to play that way, what's it to you?

• Like 4

he's a troll, that's what trolls do lol

being able to access your backpack while sprinting with a gun in your hands, something i refuse to do out of principle.

Yea it needs an animation.

However the worst feature is 3pp.

3pp ruins so much of the games potential and absolutely destroys any stealth. PVP is also a joke as a result of it.

Edited by gibonez

Yea it needs an animation.

However the worst feature is 3pp.

3pp ruins so much of the games potential and absolutely destroys any stealth. PVP is also a joke as a result of it.

indeed, an animation would be most welcome, i also agree about 3rd person to a point, at least we have 1pp only available to us, the way i see it 3pp servers attract most of the hackers/trolls/kids and other undesirables so in that sense I am a fan of it.

I do, because you should.

I do, and usually commit suicide, because it is a stupid mechanic.

So how long should I sprint for before I toggle to jogging? How long do I have to wait before I can sprint again? 

Are you seriously expecting us to believe you and savage toggle on and off your sprinting in relation to how you would really run IRL? You have got to be joking lol.

"Here's this splint I have in order to fix my broken leg, but it's not realistic...so I'm just going to kill myself instead, because I have principles!"

There's no animation for putting clothes on and taking them off...they simply appear on and off you. Are you going to keep the same clothes you have when you start the game because that's a bad realism mechanic?

Do you avoid using melee weapons because the physics mechanics behind 90% of them are woefully inaccurate?

Do you avoid using shoes because the shoe wear mechanic, as is, is a rather stupid mechanic?

When you're bleeding do you let yourself bleed out because the bandaging is a stupid and unrealistic mechanic?

Sorry I just find this confusing and hilarious  :D

Edited by DeatHTaX

All these people complaining about 3rd person..... There's this thing called first person only servers that you guys obviously haven't heard about. Oh right, I forgot, you were too busy complaining about it on the forums to notice.

Lets focus on putting down real issues that need to be resolved, not ones that already have been.

Not to mention most of the population might quit if 3rd person was removed, since most people play on them.

I'd like to see gun sway reduced

Indeed. I'm surprised more of the hardcore "realism" people aren't for this as well. Idk about you, but when I'm hiking with my full bag in the woods when I go hunt, if I stop to aim, I'm not swaying my gun around like I'm drunk. If anything, the gun should have some slight vertical up and down to sync with your heavy breathing. That whole "WHOOOOOOOOA" gun sway mechanic is ridiculous IMO. 

So how long should I sprint for before I toggle to jogging? How long do I have to wait before I can sprint again? 

Are you seriously expecting us to believe you and savage toggle on and off your sprinting in relation to how you would really run IRL? You have got to be joking lol.

"Here's this splint I have in order to fix my broken leg, but it's not realistic...so I'm just going to kill myself instead, because I have principles!"

Sorry I just find this hilarious xD

1) I sprint until my character starts gasping, then I jog. After I start jogging, I switch to walking based on the terrain and when I would get tired in real life. Being a former competitive athlete, I actually know how difficult it is to run long distances, much less with constrictive clothing and heavy equipment. And, I do it because I actually enjoy role-playing. I find it fun, and also find it ridiculous we were able to sprint at 14mph  indefinitely in the first place.

2) Let me just just say these three things;

1. Morphine is a pain-killer, not a broken-bone-repairer. All it should do is drastically lessen the shock symptoms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_(circulatory), which includes blurry vision, weakness, nausea, confusion, etc etc etc) you receive from being injured. This includes broken limbs, but shock should be preset in  all injuries, because that is what happens in real life, from the smallest papercut to a limb-getting-blown-off. With the more severe injuries, you are likely to die first from shock than from the actual injury itself (severe shock can cause cardiovascular, brain, and various organ failures.) Of course, using morphine when all you have is a splinter is a waste, which is why there are oral painkillers, and, I hope, "wilderness 1st aid remedies", like willow bark, that relieve pain.
    1. Of course, using morphine should also turn the injectee into a near-useless lump of flesh, with side effects including constipation, severe drowsiness, effected heartbeat (with all that implies), shakiness of the limbs, nausea, dizziness, etc etc (http://www.drugs.com/sfx/morphine-side-effects.html)
  2. Splints don't actually heal anything IRL. All they do is immobilize the broken limb, so that the bone can heal on its own. And, this is only if there is "traction" on the broken bone, where the broken ends are put under "tension" (not the right concept, but close enough), so that the break can heal straight and the injured party won't be crippled when the break is healed. And, trust me, you don't want to fuck around with the broken bone too much, as if you do, broken shards of bone will break off into the bloodstream and cause a VERY painful death. In the Boy Scout Handbook, there are different ways of immobilizing a broken limb, not splinting. There is a difference. I have got training in how to put someone under (very VERY basic) traction for broken limbs, and even with the training, I would never attempt traction by myself. I am not comfortable with it, and don't want to potentially cripple/kill the poor soul. I would immobile the limb (which, again, is DIFFERENT from splinting), and get them to a real doctor.
    1. If you splint up a limb, say a leg, and try to run around on it, you are going to probably (read: DEFINATELY) re-break the bone, causing severe shock and possibly-related death, as well as ensuring that the limb will never heal correctly. Was it worth it?
  3. Yep, I would totally commit suicide IRL if I was stuck in a survival situation with a broken leg and no way of getting advanced medical care. The broken leg would make me literally helpless (it is very painful to crawl on a broken leg, depending on where the break is), and dying from dehydration and bone-break-fever is a really shitty way to go. If I broke an arm, well, traction for that is...simpler than legs (the muscles in the arm are weaker), and I have another arm and two legs, so I am not totally useless. Still would totally suck donkey balls, and your survival would be severely hindered.

Note: just because it is a "zombie apocalypse" (note: they aren't classical zombies, just people infected with an unknown disease, which is unlikely, but possible, in real life), doesn't mean literally everything else in the game can be as realistic as possible. Anyone remember the mythical "anti-game"?

• Like 1

Needing Charcoal tabs to vomit.

Why can't I just shove my finger down my throat?

Charcoal tabs don't just make you vomit, they also neutralize the toxins in your body as well. 

neutralizing toxins + removing what is left via vomiting > just removing them

Indeed. I'm surprised more of the hardcore "realism" people aren't for this as well. Idk about you, but when I'm hiking with my full bag in the woods when I go hunt, if I stop to aim, I'm not swaying my gun around like I'm drunk. If anything, the gun should have some slight vertical up and down to sync with your heavy breathing. That whole "WHOOOOOOOOA" gun sway mechanic is ridiculous IMO. 

A lot of us are, believe it or not. 

Charcoal tabs don't just make you vomit, they also neutralize the toxins in your body as well. 

neutralizing toxins + removing what is left via vomiting > just removing them

That's what my liver is for.

Unless, of course, you listen to Mercola, Food babe, Alex Jones, etc.

Why would we be ?

The sway is an in game mechanic that in the end results in the in game accuracy of the player closely mimicking what is possible in real life under duress.

Remember with the limitations of aiming with mouse and keyboard the sway and upcoming stamina systems are the only way to even remotely mimic real life combat accuracy.

Unless of course you guys want huge cones of fire to come back. One also has to remember that shooting mechanics are no where near complete, I am sure eventually bipods and weapon resting will make an appearance negating the sway when in static positions even then the sway from a person out of breath will still hopefully be significant.

• Like 1

Why would we be ?

The sway is an in game mechanic that in the end results in the in game accuracy of the player closely mimicking what is possible in real life under duress.

Remember with the limitations of aiming with mouse and keyboard the sway and upcoming stamina systems are the only way to even remotely mimic real life combat accuracy.

Unless of course you guys want huge cones of fire to come back. One also has to remember that shooting mechanics are no where near complete, I am sure eventually bipods and weapon resting will make an appearance negating the sway when in static positions even then the sway from a person out of breath will still hopefully be significant.

I'm simply saying that some people who are for more "realism" in the game are okay with the current gun sway, which makes no sense to me as it is nothing like aiming down a sight when you are actually under duress, which I would know because I do it all the time hunting, and I'm not even in that great a shape and I'm not even remotely near anything you'd consider a marksman. 

Seriously, get a gun, then sprint for 20 seconds and then stop, crouch, and aim down the sight of your gun and you'll see why the current weapon sway mechanic is hilarious. Heck, even a steady JOG in this game for a short period of time makes your character's arms turn into wet noodles that took 10 shots of tequila for their 21st birthday, after benching 10 sets of 5 at 150 lbs...

"closely mimicking". That's hilarious to me.

Preferably, I would like a different system. I'm not quite sure what that is, but I know for a fact I hate the one that is currently implemented. I personally am not one of the realism fanatics, but if people are going to argue for more realism in this game then they need to be in favor of scrapping the current weapon sway. This is my main point.

Edited by DeatHTaX

I'm simply saying that some people who are for more "realism" in the game are okay with the current gun sway, which makes no sense to me as it is nothing like aiming down a sight when you are actually under duress, which I would know because I do it all the time hunting, and I'm not even in that great a shape and I'm not even remotely near anything you'd consider a marksman. 

Seriously, get a gun, then sprint for 20 seconds and then stop, crouch, and aim down the sight of your gun and you'll see why the current weapon sway mechanic is hilarious. Heck, even a steady JOG in this game for a short period of time makes your character's arms turn into went noodles that took 10 shots of tequila for their 21st birthday, after benching 10 sets of 5 at 150 lbs

Preferably, I would like a different system. I'm not quite sure what that is, but I know for a fact I hate the one that is currently implemented. I personally am not one of the realism fanatics, but if people are going to argue for more realism in this game then they need to be in favor of scrapping the current weapon sway. This is my main point.

And yes, gib, thank you for reminding me the game isn't done yet and the shooting mechanics aren't complete....I had no idea....none at all lol

Who says its not realistic.

One also has to remember that what you go through when shooting while hunting is not the same as what is going on in dayz.

In dayz you are sprinting at 30 km/h over steep hills for 30+ minutes then you suddenly stop and aim at a guy of course the sway should be insane in such instances.

Those that want realism are probably like me they don't care how the game achieves the realism as long as the end result results in players having similar accuracy to what is normal in real life.

They can either achieve this through excessive sway , cones of fire or maybe high depth bullet trajectory simulation. So long as it mimics real life accuracy in the end I am ok with it.

I will agree though that high sway alone is not the most elegant solution.

Who says its not realistic.

One also has to remember that what you go through when shooting while hunting is not the same as what is going on in dayz.

In dayz you are sprinting at 30 km/h over steep hills for 30+ minutes then you suddenly stop and aim at a guy of course the sway should be insane in such instances.

Those that want realism are probably like me they don't care how the game achieves the realism as long as the end result results in players having similar accuracy to what is normal in real life.

They can either achieve this through excessive sway , cones of fire or maybe high depth bullet trajectory simulation. So long as it mimics real life accuracy in the end I am ok with it.

I will agree though that high sway alone is not the most elegant solution.

Okay that's well and good, but here's my point...even after sprinting for short periods of time, the sway is ridiculous. I'm not arguing that you should be able to sprint for 30 minutes (that in and of itself is kind of ridiculous from a realism perspective, but I don't care about that.) and hit a silver dollar from a grand. I'm saying that the weapon sway as is is completely absurd.

And as for my experience with a firearm, you're missing what I'm trying to say, I think. I'm not in great physical condition, I'm not trained with firearms in any sense (other than basic firearm safety and etiquette) and I am able to run for short periods of time and climb hills, and aim QUITE accurately under physical duress at reasonable distances. So If an average person like myself can do it, then it's not unreasonable to think other average people can do the same. None of that noodle arm crap.

The weapon sway as it stands is ridiculous and hopefully will be scrapped sooner rather than later. 

Edited by DeatHTaX

Least favorite has to be how the game caches the player model and displays it prior to login. It serves no purpose imo.

The entire movement system.  I want to actually be able to jump/climb over things and being able to jump down more than 10 feet without it almost always resulting in death would be nice...

• Like 1

Every time I try to sit down and write something with the intention of being objective, I keep stepping back and thinking- it's early access... it's a performance limitation... it's a gamestyle preference... is a survival scenario- it's not supposed to be easy. Whether it's about the long load times and clunky server reset times, relatively short ranged grass rendering making concealment difficult in an environment that rewards KOS style play, the amount of useless loot available that is seldom used versus items that would be more useful. 

I checkmate my own gripes each time... 

The server hopping? Given the state of servers crashing and resetting what seems like every hour or so depending on which one you're on... no wonder people get in the habit. The hacking... the platform does seem a bit vulnerable but then many games are at all stages of development. Rendering, even if it could be turned on to show grass at longer ranges would be turned down to enhance performance anyway on the PVP style side computer... Loot- well... tighten that belt! Times are tough. 

Then there are the obvious things that will be polished- guys bleeding 4 feet from their bodies... stuff glitching through the floor (including people but it looks like that's been fixed)- zeds being killed and sliding for 100 feet down a hill... The repetitive houses / interiors... Instant on / instant off sprinting no matter the loadout again- all things that will be fixed over time. 

Anyway, just my .01 cent. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

I could not agree more

Every time I try to sit down and write something with the intention of being objective, I keep stepping back and thinking- it's early access... it's a performance limitation... it's a gamestyle preference... is a survival scenario- it's not supposed to be easy. Whether it's about the long load times and clunky server reset times, relatively short ranged grass rendering making concealment difficult in an environment that rewards KOS style play, the amount of useless loot available that is seldom used versus items that would be more useful. 

ETC...

Couldn't agree with you more, I find it difficult to actually pinpoint something I really dislike that I don't think will be fixed in due time.

If I were to say what I want to be fixed first though, it'd probably be the loot system. Once there's no duping, good respawning of loot and perfect persistence along with balancing and the likes, we can put the resets behind us. We'll no longer have to worry about every single person being geared to the teeth with top-grade military gear. There'll be more of a challenge and variety in just surviving.

I also dislike the clothing system as it is, though, again, I'm sure that that's going to change. I, personally, really want to see layering and a balance between civilian and military gear (like trading off space for protection, bulletproof vests underneath shirts etc). Plus the cosmetics could be awesome. The one item that I really, really want is a poncho - and I don't even know why. I can think of reasons it'd help gameplay, but those are afterthoughts. :P Maybe not something that should be a priority, but I'm dying to see it done.

I think that'd be a better way to phrase the thread: What's a feature that you can't wait to be changed.

Edited by Beizs

I think that'd be a better way to phrase the thread: What's a feature that you can't wait to be changed.

If OP wishes that could be arranged ;).  On that note a feature which I would like to see changed hmmm I would like if hardcore servers did not have the status texts on the bottom left corner of the screen and the only effects checked would be inside the UI/inventory menu.  For immersion and all :).

• Like 2