CJ_14

When was the oubreak?

I wanted to know when did the zombies took over Chernarus, because...there's no power in the country. Technically (at least according to a documental on history channel) it would take around 2 months for the power to completely run out without the intervention of men. And since there are no burning cars in the street, highways are not clogged with little camps and rusted vehicles, the buildings are not barricaded, there are no corpses laying around the place and it looks pretty clean overall for a zombie apocalypse I thought there should be power (at least in most areas, not all) like inside houses, on the street, the gas station, and so on. Besides other many many thing that should be around a zombie apocalypse (like burning cars and buildings, police barricades in the middle of the road, rotting corpses in the streets. etc). Here are some examples

Resident-Evil-Operation-Raccoon-City-13.

0-l4d_vs_deadcity01_riverside40094.jpg

This is not a suggestion, is just some curiosity about the power system, lore and envoirement about the game :)

Edited by CJ_14

I wanted to know when did the zombies took over Chernarus, because...there's no power in the country. Technically (at least according to a documental on history channel) it would take around 2 months for the power to completely run out without the intervention of men. And since there are no burning cars in the street, highways are not clogged with little camps and rusted vehicles, the buildings are not barricaded, there are no corpses laying around the place and it looks pretty clean overall for a zombie apocalypse I thought there should be power (at least in most areas, not all) like inside houses, on the street, the gas station, and so on. Besides other many many thing that should be around a zombie apocalypse (like burning cars and buildings, police barricades in the middle of the road, rotting corpses in the streets. etc). Here are some examples

This is not a suggestion, is just some curiosity about the power system, lore and envoirement about the game :)

I like your approach to this forum CJ.

obviously out in the country you wouldn't see much. In the cities however it would be cool to walk through the cities like cherno, electro, berenzino and cars in the street and static bodies. It would give you the holy shit what happened here feeling. Something else that would be cool is a blocked roadway with lots of cars that spawn loot inside them. Similar to the highway exit Atlanta, GA in the first season of walking dead. It would surely be a hot spot for activity.

As far are the game goes currently, we don't even really know the date it takes place.

Edited by BMAF
  • Like 1

I found a sign on a concrete slab near stary novy that said March 2014 on it I think.

pretty cool thought process.. but i have another.  When it comes to the gas can.. why can i take it to the gas station and use the pump to fill the gas can, but cannot use the pump to fill the truck directly. lol.  I would like some clarity from the devs like the OP about when this would have taken place.

I kinda like the unknown factors. Adds another layer of despair :P

• Like 1

I wanted to know when did the zombies took over Chernarus, because...there's no power in the country. Technically (at least according to a documental on history channel) it would take around 2 months for the power to completely run out without the intervention of men.

Never believe anything on THC, it's normally if not exclusively full of shit. In terms of how long unmanned power would last it depends on the actual equipment that is being used. Technically nuclear could run for years as it's all automated. Well maintained coal or oil or gas fired plants would last as long as they have resources. You would expect those resources to be two staged; local storage and resupply. Clearly resupply would be ruled out, which leaves the local supply. Again it's too difficult to properly judge as there are large oil (or gas, but they don't contract/expand so I think it has to be oil) tanks on the map but not near the actual power plant. So... ultimately THC simply couldn't work out a figure and just made it up, pretty much like the rest of their output (you can tell I am not a fan).

In regard to the actual question, the problem we have is the contradiction of the place looking like it's not been inhabited for several months, yet there is fresh fruit lying about. In fact I think I'll start a new thread about that. However if you removed the perishables I would say a couple of months since the "event". Which rather annoying does tie in with the THC idea, but it's based purely on the state of the environment (evacuated but not overgrown).

• Like 2

I agree that this game is FAR too clean to be a post-apoc zombie infested game, to me there needs to be A LOT of carnage on the streets, buildings big and small crumbled, something that says, "The world went to shit".

Right now, it's, like people just up and left, and the remaining inhabitants ( zombies ) are angry they weren't told people where leaving, lol...

• Like 3

I agree that this game is FAR too clean to be a post-apoc zombie infested game, to me there needs to be A LOT of carnage on the streets, buildings big and small crumbled, something that says, "The world went to shit".

Right now, it's, like people just up and left, and the remaining inhabitants ( zombies ) are angry they weren't told people where leaving, lol...

IKR, that's what "bothers" me right now...but well, I hope when it hits beta we get to see a proper country decayed by war against the undead :)

"Chernarus has only one Power Plant, located in Elektrozavodsk. Multiple Power Lines stretch out from it all over Chernarus." - http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Chernarus

Maybe the outbreak started in Elektro and cut off the power pretty fast.

I could swear I saw another in Novodmitrovsk, and I recall finding another one, can't remember right now where.

I like your approach to this forum CJ.

obviously out in the country you wouldn't see much. In the cities however it would be cool to walk through the cities like cherno, electro, berenzino and cars in the street and static bodies. It would give you the holy shit what happened here feeling. Something else that would be cool is a blocked roadway with lots of cars that spawn loot inside them. Similar to the highway exit Atlanta, GA in the first season of walking dead. It would surely be a hot spot for activity.

As far are the game goes currently, we don't even really know the date it takes place.

Yes, those are the things that would give DayZ a proper apocaliptic feeling, but we'll have to wait until the devs start working on the envoirement :)

PS: Considering optimization is done first so there are no too many FPS issues when upgrading Chernarus.

pretty cool thought process.. but i have another.  When it comes to the gas can.. why can i take it to the gas station and use the pump to fill the gas can, but cannot use the pump to fill the truck directly. lol.  I would like some clarity from the devs like the OP about when this would have taken place.

I know you can refill cans in the mod, but...is it possible in the game? I've only found the Jerry Cans, but never take 'em. Anyways...it is a game, being unable to actually leave the country when resources are out or build a new society to create things (buildings, armies, gas, electricity...) making them work with unlimited fuel would be apropiate

PS: Maybe they could make them full at server restart and when they run out of fuel, you should go to another city looking for one that has

Never believe anything on THC, it's normally if not exclusively full of shit. In terms of how long unmanned power would last it depends on the actual equipment that is being used. Technically nuclear could run for years as it's all automated. Well maintained coal or oil or gas fired plants would last as long as they have resources. You would expect those resources to be two staged; local storage and resupply. Clearly resupply would be ruled out, which leaves the local supply. Again it's too difficult to properly judge as there are large oil (or gas, but they don't contract/expand so I think it has to be oil) tanks on the map but not near the actual power plant. So... ultimately THC simply couldn't work out a figure and just made it up, pretty much like the rest of their output (you can tell I am not a fan).

In regard to the actual question, the problem we have is the contradiction of the place looking like it's not been inhabited for several months, yet there is fresh fruit lying about. In fact I think I'll start a new thread about that. However if you removed the perishables I would say a couple of months since the "event". Which rather annoying does tie in with the THC idea, but it's based purely on the state of the environment (evacuated but not overgrown).

Eh. With the exception of the rusted hulks of vehicles, I think it has been less than 2 weeks. Look at the garden plots and farms: pumpkins and other crops are ready to harvest, and wheat is still "drummed" up in bundles, ready to be picked up. If it has been months, then I would expect the gardens to be either/or rotted and growing out of control, and the farmed grain to be rotted.

Eh. With the exception of the rusted hulks of vehicles, I think it has been less than 2 weeks. Look at the garden plots and farms: pumpkins and other crops are ready to harvest, and wheat is still "drummed" up in bundles, ready to be picked up. If it has been months, then I would expect the gardens to be either/or rotted and growing out of control, and the farmed grain to be rotted.

I think the question is what state were things just before "the event", that could explain the rusted vehicles. The wheat bails can technically stay like that for months.

You are right about the gardens with pumpkins (that are there but aren't loot) but again that would depend on the state of them when it all went to shit.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, and I certainly agree with you about the gardens (and in general all the fauna) not being over grown, but I think all that does is put an upper limit of maybe 4-5 months or more (depending on the time of year of course). 

Let's take in consideration, that the map is pretty much the exact same one used in ArmA II, apart from some new cities and buildings. And ArmA II was a military simulator, so I guess we'll have to wait until beta or beyond