Caboose187 (DayZ)

Clarification on "Base Building"

1) No, it doesn't. Allowing players to build massive fortresses that would collapse under their own weight? Yes, no realism. Allowing players to build shacks, rough walls, and small compounds with a lot of work, time, and materials invested? Pretty much realistic, both in the sense of what would be possible and what would likely actually happen.

2) Clan vs clan warfare is pretty realistic. Human beings are tribal by nature.

3) Your opinion. And I know you know that old phrase about opinions......

No, not realistic and not likely to happen. We aren't in a collapse of civilization that has to rebuild buildings from the ground up. Smart people would take what is at hand and try to create and start a new place to live. No one would be stupid enough enough to abandon what they have around them to take a hatchet into the woods in hopes if building their great fortess. You make it sound that humanity is going to turn back into neanderthals and go off to find their little island to build anew all the while turning into a gang mentality of killing everything that isn't wearing their colors. Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

I've always figured it'd be simple things you can build, mostly just adding on to already built structures. My plan has always been to fortify green mountain or the "castle" near the international airfield once they impliment it.

Am I the only one that actually enjoyed the base building in epoch? My base took me months to build and I was so proud of it when it was finished. I even made a secondary safe house close to cherno as my main one was way up by berezino. I had a spare car so i could drive round to my main compound. Obviously base building was highly dependant on the traders, and having resources to sell to gain gold, but I never really got the whole trader/safe zone aspect to epoch, but I did spend a hell of a lot of time using it.

Secondly, I did mention a solution to ghosting would be to prevent anyone spawning inside an occupied structure, even if it is your own. So if someone spawns out of a house and hops server where that house is occupied, he will now appear outside the front door or outside the fence. Problem solved

Give me a break.  How long would it take 1 jerk to make a palisades fort by himself with just a fire ax?

ANSWER:  Long enough to be killed by whatever he was building the fort to protect himself against.

What's next?  Chopping down trees and gathering rocks to shit finished 2x4s and reinforced concrete foundations?

Edited by bfisher

Give me a break.  How long would it take 1 jerk to make a palisades fort by himself with just a fire ax?

ANSWER:  Long enough to be killed by whatever he was building the fort to protect himself against.

What's next?  Chopping down trees and gathering rocks to shit finished 2x4s and reinforced concrete foundations?

1) If he had 10 guys helping him, then probably a week. Which is why advanced basebuilding, like what I describe above, would only really be done by organized groups. 1 guy on his own will not accomplish a lot.

2) If you pay attention, you would realize that there are LITERAL STACKS of building materials laying around the game world; stacks of lumber, what-look-to-be street-poles in piles, pallets of bricks, pallets of concrete dust, and pre-made slabs of concrete. It would not be like Rust where you pull finished walls and materials out of your ass.

I tell you one thing they bloody better not have those stupid protection domes like they did in epoch!

I tell you one thing they bloody better not have those stupid protection domes like they did in epoch!

Pray tell, what is a 'protection dome'? I've never played Epoch, and this sounds like I made the right choice.

Pray tell, what is a 'protection dome'? I've never played Epoch, and this sounds like I made the right choice.

Not all servers ran it but basically if you came within a 50 mtrs radius (iirc) a timer would count down on your screen and you would have 10 seconds to leave the "dome", if you didn't you died. It destroyed base raiding and was so stupid.

Not all servers ran it but basically if you came within a 50 mtrs radius (iirc) a timer would count down on your screen and you would have 10 seconds to leave the "dome", if you didn't you died. It destroyed base raiding and was so stupid.

Wow... and I thought it was some kind of protection to keep people from getting killed in a certain area. This is somehow even worse!

Wow... and I thought it was some kind of protection to keep people from getting killed in a certain area. This is somehow even worse!

Lol they had too. You were invincible are traders! hahaha