Sign in to follow this  
cheranuscrusiser

What is exactly happening or wrong when fighting zombies?

Hi everyone. Im not sure what is wrong but several times on servers were I have a low ping I will run upstairs into a building from a zombie who was behind me and yet Im getting hit even though I dont see the zombie anymore. Is the zombie stuck in the stairs perhaps or is the bitch hitting me from 20 feet away outside the damn building? Im getting sick of ruined gear from willy wonka Dayz physics.

How do people avoid these major issues ? Is there any discussion of removing them until they work half way decent?

I've had this happen to me, I actually died of it :D

Your best bet is to coax the zed out of the house, or simply kill it. Avoiding zeds isn't to hard, just break it's line of sight for long enough and you will be A-O.K!

They wont be removed....needed to guage server performance I think.

Always try and fight them outside if you can. When they run at you stand your ground....dodge as the do that leaping attack then swing for the head.

If I hear a zombie I just leave the building and wait for him outside, then go back in to loot once hes deltwith. Safest way atm

The range of there hits seems a little high atm so maybe when your aginst the  inside wall its still managing to be inside the zombie hit radius.

The problem is that they're supposed to be zombies, but the damn idiots RUN...shouldn't they be walking and wandering around? I just find them standing still until I pass waaaaaay far from them and they aggro, scream and they sprint towards me...at this point I just go around shooting buckshots on every zombie's face. Fun and safety in one shot

Hi everyone. Im not sure what is wrong but several times on servers were I have a low ping I will run upstairs into a building from a zombie who was behind me and yet Im getting hit even though I dont see the zombie anymore. Is the zombie stuck in the stairs perhaps or is the bitch hitting me from 20 feet away outside the damn building? Im getting sick of ruined gear from willy wonka Dayz physics.

How do people avoid these major issues ? Is there any discussion of removing them until they work half way decent?

Your hitbox is left behind and the zombies are able to hit it.  Happens mostly with low-end machines.  The best thing you can do is to lower DayZ settings so it doesn't push your computer to the limit.  This helps a lot.

Edited by Robert Neville
  • Like 1

Your hitbox is left behind and the zombies are able to hit it.  Happens mostly with low-end machines.  The best thing you can do is to lower DayZ settings so it doesn't push your computer to the limit.  This helps a lot.

Wow that's insane...I didn't realise that was happening. Is that all down to clientside performance or is it at all server related?

Press v to vault if you are being hit by zombies from far away. This synchronises your position in game and your virtual alter ego wont be stuck there anymore.

• Like 7

Thanks guys. I will try these ideas and thanks for explaining why it happens. So I will fight them outside first and try the vaulting as last resort.

I dont believe my machine is considered slow but its not high end either so maybe you are right.

That is a load of rubbish, this is an issue with the game, it has nothing to do with what computer you run it on.

• Like 2

The problem is that they're supposed to be zombies, but the damn idiots RUN...shouldn't they be walking and wandering around? I just find them standing still until I pass waaaaaay far from them and they aggro, scream and they sprint towards me...at this point I just go around shooting buckshots on every zombie's face. Fun and safety in one shot

They're not technically zombies, but infected humans. Think 28 Days Later.

That is a load of rubbish, this is an issue with the game, it has nothing to do with what computer you run it on.

Yeah because if the PC was slow than our characters on screen would be the one behind and slow due to cpu and graphics running that whole show....

But in crazy ass Willy Wonky Dayz development land..... The network architecture takes too long to talk back to the clients...

This is obvious.

• Like 1

Technically they are zombies but they are the '28 days later' variety not the 'Night of the Living Dead' type B)

Best thing to do is run outside if and when you are in a building and getting hit by one. Hit detection will certainly need some optimization

They're not technically zombies, but infected humans. Think 28 Days Later.

They ARE zombies...Dean's words. Altough I can understand they're different to the NoTD, RE zombies.

PS: I want those zombies -.-

No.

The server and the navmesh, as well as server fps and the AI that is a work in progress, all have trouble separating where the character and zombie are when it comes to obsticals. This allows the zombies to walk through walls, hit you from several floors below you (the game isnt respecting the Y axis at all) and other latency related issues.

Until server FPS improves your best bet is to not fight zombies in buildings because of all the pathing and position issues. It has little to do with your computer, though a bad internet connection would impact this.

• Like 2

I remember having read about the hitbox on another thread.  It also looks to me that the problem gets worse when the machine gets choked with high graphical settings (although I wouldn't swear on it).

No.

The server and the navmesh, as well as server fps and the AI that is a work in progress, all have trouble separating where the character and zombie are when it comes to obsticals. This allows the zombies to walk through walls, hit you from several floors below you (the game isnt respecting the Y axis at all) and other latency related issues.

Until server FPS improves your best bet is to not fight zombies in buildings because of all the pathing and position issues. It has little to do with your computer, though a bad internet connection would impact this.

It is not that the game doesn't respect the y-axis or that zombies can go through walls, it is simply that desynch can cause your character to be located in two different positions according to the game, and the second position can get stuck in a corner with an angry zombie blocking its path. As I mentioned above, the vault tip works, and if you make a habit of using it, you will get a consistent experience of zombies that do in fact respect walls and the y-axis.

Edit: It should be mentioned that there is a second zombie bug unrelated to the above zombie problem. This bug is actual true invisible zombies, which follows you around, making zombie noises right in your ear and hitting you, although they are completely invisible. In my experience this bug is rare and often confused with the desynch bug. I have only experienced the actual invisible zombie bug twice. Once I relogged and the invisible zombie was gone, the second time I experiemented a bit, and I actually managed to lock it in a room by closing the door. I have no idea what causes the true invisible zombie.

Edited by BadAsh
  • Like 1

Edit: It should be mentioned that there is a second zombie bug unrelated to the above zombie problem. This bug is actual true invisible zombies, which follows you around, making zombie noises right in your ear and hitting you, although they are completely invisible. In my experience this bug is rare and often confused with the desynch bug. I have only experienced the actual invisible zombie bug twice. Once I relogged and the invisible zombie was gone, the second time I experiemented a bit, and I actually managed to lock it in a room by closing the door. I have no idea what causes the true invisible zombie.

I think that is the zombies desyncing past their models like we do. It may have something to do with doors being both open and closed at the same time, but allowing players to walk through them anyways.

Good God.      I appreciate this everyone I certainly got a fantastically detailed reason and answer to what is happening.

I really appreciate it.

But now I'm wondering why they are trying to fix such high number of problems with the current zombies and the game when it sounds easier that they should just start with a whole new engine and zombie architecture.  I think it would be less work!

Good God.      I appreciate this everyone I certainly got a fantastically detailed reason and answer to what is happening.

I really appreciate it.

But now I'm wondering why they are trying to fix such high number of problems with the current zombies and the game when it sounds easier that they should just start with a whole new engine and zombie architecture.  I think it would be less work!

i would imagine because it only "sounds easier"--they aren't so much trying to fix the current zeds, what with the new animations, AI, and renderer coming i'm thinking the zombies will in fact be new "zombie architecture". current zeds are essentially just placeholders, unless i've understood something wrong, which i've been known to do occasionally. 

when im inside and get zombie aggro ill just run out the door and kill it. I know what your talking about. Till its fixed.  i just deal with them asap.  then keep on keeping on.

I think that is the zombies desyncing past their models like we do. It may have something to do with doors being both open and closed at the same time, but allowing players to walk through them anyways.

Like a Schroedinger's Zombie of sorts: the zombie is in a room with a door that is both open and closed; the zombie is stuck inside the room, yet the zombie is also chasing you 3 Km across the map.  If you try to log out, you may be considered both alive and dead until you log back in.  Running into a narrow hallway and letting go both sides of sawed-off Izh will NOT kill the invisible zombie.  I wasted all of my shotshells, trading aggro with a friend, trying to kill one of the paradoxical parasites last night.  It cost me my 2nd mosin I was carrying.  If only I had a box and a small bottle of poison to break.

• Like 1

I think that the most crudest parts of the Sa now are the zombies and a close second trucks. I'm almost 100% sure it will not be like that forever, there working on it. In the meantime I guess we have adapt to the acceptable level of bugs during development and know what look out for.

My policy with zombies is to deal with them as quickly as possible, unless I am certain I can out run them. Smart players know when theres zombies agroed theres a player near by. I prefer to axe them, I normally circle them to the left and hit them, normally a one hit deal with the fire axe. Ice axe axe is a pretty BA weapon to use against them too I noticed. I don't like shooting them some of the time because it just agros more. NWAF is one of the worst places to agro zombies. Seems like they come out of the woodwork there.

To me there a pain in the ass pests, but make good target practice I guess. Nothing more that I hate then to be in my inventory screen, have one come out of the either and start hitting me. By the time its over some of your gear is damaged or ruined. Its annoying. So one must keep there guard up in areas were they lurk. They also go through walls and you know the rest. So lure them out in the open and kill them quickly I say if you hear them skawking. Don't wait just kill the asap, once there agroed they ain't going away. I noticed killing them out in the open is far more ideal then having the chase you into a narrow hall way or something like that.

Edited by CJFlint

Sorry guys all the zombie problems are my fault. I've been training them in the arts of Ninjutsu and psychological warfare since the early days of the mod and they finally started to get the hang of it when the SA came out. When you think a zombie is hitting you from 20 feet away outside a building those are actually the distraction zombies while the most elite ninja-zombie trainees are attacking you so stealthily you can't even see them no matter how hard you try.

I would let you in on the secret I use to make them reveal themselves, but where would be the fun in that?

Edited by Weedz

I have been playing .53 allot on lower ping servers. I have not noticed anything different about them this patch. There the same half hazard broken ass meth head zombies as before. I just kill them asap. No problems yet, at least not any new ones lol Is there more issues really? What's new? LOL

Edited by CJFlint

I was having the same invisible zombie issues on my rather high end system. It has nothing to do with system specs. There are several different invisible zombie bugs and the developers are aware of all of them. I wouldn't expect these issues to be fixed until after the new renderer is implemented.

In the mean time, when you notice this happening exit the game immediately. If you want to continue playing restart your system and pick a different server. I've survived numerous instances of that glitch this way.