Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

I am a lover, not a fighter...

Rather than gearing up and heading for the nearest city, I've been crafting my own equipment and feeding myself in the forests. This is the layout I'm using just now...

fkx9StV.jpg

• Like 19

And... only after proof reading that for 30 minutes do I spot the grammatical error... ;)  "rather safe than sorry". :rolleyes:

Oh, and no snares are there because they simply don't work for me just now. I have tried (damn, I've tried) but just no luck at all. One they have a relevant level of success I will add them back into the layout.

I seriously need to get rid of the orange raincoat, but on the persistent server I've been playing on, I've not found anything other than a yellow raincoat. 

Edited by ricp

Congrats man, You have won DayZ!

Well let's be honest I'd still get wasted in an encounter with a moderately armed assailant, so I'm not sure about winning. 

I've not taken anyone out with the bow and arrow yet, I imagine it'll be a nerve racking experience as I'll know if I miss I'll be in deep shit. That said perhaps the lack of any gunshot will help with my stealthiness.

Tell you one thing though, has anyone successfully taken down a running stag with the bow and arrow? I've wasted what must be near 100 trying and failed. Standing still, fine, running? No chance.

I, too, have done this, and in my opinion, not relying on military loot, guns, nor "planning" to PvP makes Day Z a different game ENTIRELY. Things are much more.....relaxing, for lack of a better word. It is kind of serene, sitting near the shores of a lake, with the crackle of a fire behind you, watching the sun set over the ridgeline to the west.

Sneaking up as close as possible to a deer or boar in order to get the most effective shot with the bow just feels different than blowing it away with a rifle.

The only things I would change, or add really, would be to allows us to boil water using a pot on a tripod, changing how bows were made, to make them more effective, and to allows us to build shelters and "camp furniture" so that we can stay warm and dry, even in the coldest, wettest weather. But I am sure that all of these things will come in time.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215247-quiver-arrows/

LeanTo.jpg

notice the reflector wall that you would build a fire against.  It would reflect more heat back into your shelter, heat that would otherwise be "wasted" away from you into the empty air. Also, notice the grass insulation where you would sleep. Insulation beneath you will prevent 90% of heat loss to the ground, which is where you lose most of your body heat.

SurvivalTripod-7.jpg

Boiled water is probably the most important  "thing" you can make in a survival situation. I hold the personal belief that if you have a fire, you should have something on it. A pot of water is the most useful. Boiled water can be used for drinking, boiling bandages, cooking food (and making broth), making teas (for medicine, food, and morale), steaming wood for woodworking, etc etc etc

• Like 3

Interesting play style. So are your pretty much solo? or do run in groups? Do you prefer just not seeing other players?

In .49, I decided to try suriving completly off the land....hunting for food, fishing.....ect ect. It is completly posible. But there is a hitch. It takes allot of meat ot eat to stay energized. I remember having to hunt an animal per session, sometimes 2. So much of my game play became either group pvp 50% the other trying to find animals and basicly trying to keeping my avatar with 3 green bars....which for me became easier over time. I also learned to carry at least a log around with me, chopping down trees wares the axe down quick. So its best to re-use the log. I remember liting atleast one fire per session....sometimes more.

I would go through at least 5 to 10 stakes a day. Thats to keep my 3 green bars....so that play style will consume your time playing.

So basicly in the past couple months I have had 2 lives in game only...I dont die that often. The life I had in .49 I survived much more off the land, and honestly my avatar was vary lucky to survive over a month. I can thank the ghurka helmet and highcap vest for that....due to the fact my avatar was shot, and attacked by other players more then once and was able to survive....good gear. I hunted allot in that build, every single day. My latest life I spent most my time in .50....loots was everywhere, so I did a more balanced play style. I hunted sometimes, but also collected cans of food. I guess food and weather really effect my play style too.

But its cool to see other players that shoot for long term survival and really try to do it...Theres many players that dont bother and they just play to pvp.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 3

Boiled water will make a come back, as will the use of sterilisation tablets. As you say there are so many uses for hot water. 

The two things that I would definitely add if I had the chance would be the creation of a simple shelter, like you say, but also the ability to loosen the pressure on the bow and arrow. Effectively when you draw back there is no way to cancel it without firing an arrow. Or if there is one, I've yet to find it. That makes using the bow and arrow as a zombie weapon around town really awkward as you'd want to draw back when coming round a corner so you are ready to fire but then "draw forward" (if that is the right term - I mean releasing the pressure but not firing the arrow) when there is no threat.

• Like 1

Well let's be honest I'd still get wasted in an encounter with a moderately armed assailant, so I'm not sure about winning. 

I've not taken anyone out with the bow and arrow yet, I imagine it'll be a nerve racking experience as I'll know if I miss I'll be in deep shit. That said perhaps the lack of any gunshot will help with my stealthiness.

Tell you one thing though, has anyone successfully taken down a running stag with the bow and arrow? I've wasted what must be near 100 trying and failed. Standing still, fine, running? No chance.

I can say with experience that the improvised bow can make "accurate" shots out to 30 meters, but you have to know how the arrow trajectory works, as well as the effects of terrain and the speed/trajectory of the target.

I took a shot on a moving zombie at Msta, from 30 meters away. He was walking away from me on an angle, down a hill. I aimed in 3rd person, as using the bow in 1PP is far more difficult than IRL, for some odd reason. You also need to wait until the bow "swings all the way to the left" (why it has such outrageous sway, I dunno), as the arrow will sail the straightest.  I aimed about 1/2 an inch on my screen above his head, let fly, and watched the arrow nail him in the throat.

This is why you sneak up as close as possible. Using a bow really makes you think about how the animals (or people. I've got some human kills with the bow, believe me or not). Use bushes, trees, depressions in the land, and crouch and even go prone as much as possible. I've gotten within 20 or so feet of a deer. Took me half an hour.

Bushcraft, and especially archery. is a truly beautiful way of life.

But there is a hitch. It takes allot of meat ot eat to stay energized. I remember having to hunt an animal per session, sometimes 2. So much of my game play became either group pvp 50% the other trying to find animals.....

Not been my experience in the current builds. We've see the food/water cycle change quite a bit between builds and just now I can kill a cow and get 6 stakes and those will last me for maybe 24 hours in game play (not all in one session). Fishing is quite quick, you can rack up 4 or 5 within 20 minutes (real world time).

This is an interesting read... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N5X8AAaz8JMZEMkl_93x0IrjrmpJ6bg28rP_6yKvivI/edit#gid=0

It's a good effort and a nice presentation.

I like the addition of the derringer.

I plan on trying some of this play style in the future.

Currently I enjoy civilian firearms for zombie killing and play as non-aggressive towards other players, unless I am assaulted.

I took a shot on a moving zombie at Msta, from 30 meters away. He was walking away from me on an angle, down a hill. I aimed in 3rd person, as using the bow in 1PP is far more difficult than IRL, for some odd reason. You also need to wait until the bow "swings all the way to the left" (why it has such outrageous sway, I dunno), as the arrow will sail the straightest.  I aimed about 1/2 an inch on my screen above his head, let fly, and watched the arrow nail him in the throat.

Yeah, it's obviously just experience. I only play in 1PP though and you are right it is a tad clunky.

It would be damned useful to be able to craft a target (using paper?) so you can test out your aim.

Boiled water will make a come back, as will the use of sterilisation tablets. As you say there are so many uses for hot water. 

The two things that I would definitely add if I had the chance would be the creation of a simple shelter, like you say, but also the ability to loosen the pressure on the bow and arrow. Effectively when you draw back there is no way to cancel it without firing an arrow. Or if there is one, I've yet to find it. That makes using the bow and arrow as a zombie weapon around town really awkward as you'd want to draw back when coming round a corner so you are ready to fire but then "draw forward" (if that is the right term - I mean releasing the pressure but not firing the arrow) when there is no threat.

You are looking for "relaxing", or "lessening the draw".

Like I said in my above thread, the current in-game improvised bow would be a massive pile of shit in reality. There are "stick-bows" (which is essentially what the in-game bow is), but they are pretty much strictly field-expedient, and deteriorate (set, lose power, etc) pretty quickly. An actual self-bow would be a pretty useful weapon. Take a look at some of those videos; guy shoots a deer and it dies from blood loss within 30 seconds. The only thing is, it takes a LOT of practice in order to be effective, which is the main reason why early guns become more popular than bows, not effectiveness. A soldier could be trained to use a gun in 2 weeks, a bow took multiple years.

It's a good effort and a nice presentation.

Thanks. It was put together in under and hour or so.

I like the addition of the derringer.

Yeah, I'm really drawn on that. I don't want to carry a gun, but the truth is the bow and arrow are not quite good enough as a PvP weapon (not yet, and certainly my aim isn't good enough). I'm not sure if it would save me but I do feel a little more comfortable with the derringer in there. Especially as it's a hidden weapon.

Currently I enjoy civilian firearms for zombie killing and play as non-aggressive towards other players, unless I am assaulted.

I don't want to sound elitist, if that's your bag then I've no problem with that. I think the more experienced I get with the survival elements (and the use of the bow and arrow) can only help my gameplay.

You are looking for "relaxing", or "lessening the draw".

Yeah. The question is, is it possible in DayZ. I can't see any key binding possible (after all it's more or less the Arma keys, and no bow there).

I'd ditch the derringer for something as common but actually useful, like the magnum revolver. Neat play style though, I like playing the bushman too for a bit then get the itch for some interaction so it only lasts around half of a play session for me.

Interesting play style. So are your pretty much solo? or do run in groups? Do you prefer just not seeing other players?

In .49, I decided to try suriving completly off the land....hunting for food, fishing.....ect ect. It is completly posible. But there is a hitch. It takes allot of meat ot eat to stay energized. I remember having to hunt an animal per session, sometimes 2. So much of my game play became either group pvp 50% the other trying to find animals and basicly trying to keeping my avatar with 3 green bars....which for me became easier over time. I also learned to carry at least a log around with me, chopping down trees wares the axe down quick. So its best to re-use the log. I remember liting atleast one fire per session....sometimes more.

I would go through at least 5 to 10 stakes a day. Thats to keep my 3 green bars....so that play style will consume your time playing.

So basicly in the past couple months I have had 2 lives in game only...I dont die that often. The life I had in .49 I survived much more off the land, and honestly my avatar was vary lucky to survive over a month. I can thank the ghurka helmet and highcap vest for that....due to the fact my avatar was shot, and attacked by other players more then once and was able to survive....good gear. I hunted allot in that build, every single day. My latest life I spent most my time in .50....loots was everywhere, so I did a more balanced play style. I hunted sometimes, but also collected cans of food. I guess food and weather really effect my play style too.

But its cool to see other players that shoot for long term survival and really try to do it...Theres many players that dont bother and they just play to pvp.

Hopefully, either agriculture will be much more fleshed out, and/or foraging for wild edibles will become more possible. You would be surprised at just how much food is available in the wilds, ESPECIALLY during Autumn, which is what the in-game physical world is set in. Oak trees are dropping acorns, berries are available, tubers such as river-cane and cat-tail (cat-tail is probably the most amazing plant EVER, as almost all of it is edible/useful, during different parts of the year.) are ready, and crops are ready to be picked.

http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog/the-fantastic-four-4-essential-wild-edible-plants-that-may-one-day-just-save-your-life.htm

I amend my first statement; Nothing would be better than sitting on the shore of a lake, with a fishing pole rigged up (

), a fire roaring in your shelter, a pot of soup bubbling, and corn, beans, potatoes and pumpkins rustling in the breeze.  http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

Not been my experience in the current builds. We've see the food/water cycle change quite a bit between builds and just now I can kill a cow and get 6 stakes and those will last me for maybe 24 hours in game play (not all in one session). Fishing is quite quick, you can rack up 4 or 5 within 20 minutes (real world time).

This is an interesting read... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N5X8AAaz8JMZEMkl_93x0IrjrmpJ6bg28rP_6yKvivI/edit#gid=0

Thats good news. For me in .49 I would go through an animal pretty fast. Last patch I did'nt hunt as often.....The weather was warmer and there was so much loot everywhere, I just didnt see the point. I think in .49 the cold played a role in me wanting to hunt.....a fire was duel perpose. They change up mechanics so often its hard to keep up with.

As far a survival goes I think .49 was def the most interesting for me anyways. It forced me to do things that norm I would not do in game, and settle for things as well. Loot was not every where, in some cases hard to find and it was really cold. I think that build or life was def one I will remember in this game...I really pushed that poor avatar to the limits. Really interesting game play....the mechanics didn't always work right through that patch....but it made things interesting once I adapted to it. It was one cold hard winter in the SA LOL 

My current build has been alive since the begining of .50. It was not as interesting, it almost seemed well to easy after all that lol. I thinking I may go back to living off the land again...it was fun. Its good to hear the meat lasts a little longer. But I def want to spice it up with some pvp though....keep things exciting.

Edited by CJFlint

I'd ditch the derringer for something as common but actually useful, like the magnum revolver. Neat play style though, I like playing the bushman too for a bit then get the itch for some interaction so it only lasts around half of a play session for me.

Personally I'd rather ditch the Derringer than trade up. I have it there more as a deterrent, all bark and no bite, than an actual offensive weapon. It'll do damage but not much although hopefully enough to spook the other player and allowing me to "exit stage left".

Ideally I'd like to be so proficient with the bow as to not need the Derringer at all.

Yeah, I'm really drawn on that. I don't want to carry a gun, but the truth is the bow and arrow are not quite good enough as a PvP weapon (not yet, and certainly my aim isn't good enough). I'm not sure if it would save me but I do feel a little more comfortable with the derringer in there. Especially as it's a hidden weapon.

I've gotten 13 or so kills in a row on a high-pop server using the bow. The thing is, you usually aren't going to win in a straight-up fight, unless the other player also has a bow, which is when the fight comes down to skill with the bow, positioning, and balls. 

The bow (and the crossbow), like all "primitive weapons" (I would love to have some more improvised weapons included, like a spear and a sling, as they are both VERY deadly and easy to make. Not so easy to use, but effective) are AMBUSH weapons. You distract the foe, then strike when they are not paying attention. Stick and move, stick and move, kind of a like a dance.

I piled up some open cans near the police station in Kamyshovo, and hid behind a fence about 15 feet away. Players would run up to the police station, look at the cans, and (seriously) proceed to eat the food out in the open. That is when I would stand up, draw the arrow back, and shoot them in the chest. Lethal, and the players kept coming. Idiots. It was clearly an ambush!

*snip*

I don't want to sound elitist, if that's your bag then I've no problem with that. I think the more experienced I get with the survival elements (and the use of the bow and arrow) can only help my gameplay.

I'm lazy in a way and look forward to this stuff when it's more put upon me. :)

the thing is, in order to make a bow and arrows and fishing rod, you need rope and a knife/machete and an axe. This means you have to go into towns. And this means you will probably find a gun and ammo before you have all your survival tools.

Also, you'll undoubtedly find enough food to keep you going til 1.0 is released, thereby obviating the need to ever catch fish or hunt or food anyway.

To me, it feels wrong to deliberately leave behind something that you know is useful.

Hopefully, either agriculture will be much more fleshed out, and/or foraging for wild edibles will become more possible. You would be surprised at just how much food is available in the wilds, ESPECIALLY during Autumn, which is what the in-game physical world is set in. Oak trees are dropping acorns, berries are available, tubers such as river-cane and cat-tail (cat-tail is probably the most amazing plant EVER, as almost all of it is edible/useful, during different parts of the year.) are ready, and crops are ready to be picked.

http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog/the-fantastic-four-4-essential-wild-edible-plants-that-may-one-day-just-save-your-life.htm

I amend my first statement; Nothing would be better than sitting on the shore of a lake, with a fishing pole rigged up (

), a fire roaring in your shelter, a pot of soup bubbling, and corn, beans, potatoes and pumpkins rustling in the breeze.  http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

There is quite abit of food really. I found in its all about were your at on the map too when it comes to hunting....seems some places no animals spawn other there all over. I found in the SE and SW theres always animals running around. I wanna try traping both fish and rabbit....a couple things I still havn't done that yet. I def would like to see more stuff on the trees, also plant life that can be used as well. The more craftible items and survial mechanics the merrier I say..

I think they should add more to the immersion and atmosphere the surival exp in this game..sights and sounds.

Lets put some boats in this game! Through a couple more islands in too, that you can survive on if you want.

Edited by CJFlint

the thing is, in order to make a bow and arrows and fishing rod, you need rope and a knife/machete and an axe. This means you have to go into towns. And this means you will probably find a gun and ammo before you have all your survival tools.

Not really, you can easily find an axe, burlap sack, rope and a knife in the sheds of the smaller towns (more hamlets than towns) with chicken coups for feathers. That gets you your backpack, fishing rod and bow and arrow.

Did I find a gun? Yeah, sure. The trade off though is that, in general, you can't carry a fishing rod and a gun.

Also, you'll undoubtedly find enough food to keep you going til 1.0 is released, thereby obviating the need to ever catch fish or hunt or food anyway.

To me, it feels wrong to deliberately leave behind something that you know is useful.

Yes and no. In terms of food the cooked food is pretty calorific and with a cow, for example, you get 6 stakes when they are prepared. You need to find quite a few cans to match up to that.

There is also the challenge aspect of it all, sure I could spawn and run towards the nearest airfield and start PvP'ing, but where is the actual challenge in that? Being purposefully lesser armed than others means you need to rely on your wits all the more imo.

Edited by ricp
  • Like 3

I do have to try crafting a bow and arrows sometime, maybe tonight cause my geared guy died last night to a hacker a-hole. Thanks for the inspiration OP.

Not really, you can easily find an axe, burlap sack, rope and a knife in the sheds of the smaller towns (more hamlets than towns) with chicken coups for feathers. That gets you your backpack, fishing rod and bow and arrow.

Did I find a gun? Yeah, sure. The trade off though is that, in general, you can't carry a fishing rod and a gun.

Yes and no. In terms of food the cooked food is pretty calorific and with a cow, for example, you get 6 stakes when they are prepared. You need to find quite a few cans to match up to that.

There is also the challenge aspect of it all, sure I could spawn and run towards the nearest airfield and start PvP'ing, but where is the actual challenge in that? Being purposefully lesser armed than others means you need to rely on your wits all the more imo.

I know what you mean, but it does feel a bit artificial to me with the current spawn balance.

Even when restricting myself to small hamlets in order to avoid aggressive players, I'll usually find a gun and shitloads of readymeals before I've gathered all my rope and matches and machete and stuff. And then I just tend to think, "Why bother crafting a bow when I have a perfectly good shotgun? And why hunt for food when I have tinned spaghetti coming out of my ears?"

I recently found myself in a server with literally zero loot. The only supplies I could gather were berries, apples, sticks and other foragables. It was pretty boring, but I could just about survive if I avoided zombies. The problem was I couldn't hunt, or get warm. It made me really me want to be able to craft a knife or primitive rope from the environment so I could actually make progress in the game - the latest devblog made me happy:

In the near future you won't need to scavenge surroundings for loot and become self-sufficient if you wish and choose such a way to play. For now we will be adding new items and crafting possibilities including primitive stone blade and guts, next step will be to add bones, torch and alternative way to ignite the fire without matches.