cheeseburger8

Suggestion: the game does not tell you whether or not you are "Dead" or "Unconscious"

This is my suggestion: When you get knocked out in this game, it says "You are unconscious". When you get killed, it says "You are dead".

Well, since this game wants to be as realistic as possible, I think that in order to maximize realism, the game shouldn't tell you whether you're "Unconscious" or "Dead", and you should have to wait to find out.

Ex: You get punched multiple times in the face by a fresh spawn. He could have killed you, or he could have taken your gear and ran away. You have to wait for as long as you could, and determine if you were dead or not, based upon how long you were out.

Tell me, what do you think?

• Like 1

If there is no way to tell death from uncosciounsess,then how are we supposed to know whether we should hit the "respawn" button?

• Like 1

I think that's the point he's trying to make. That you're not supposed to know.

Hmm, interesting. I could get into this, although it does not quite work from a gameplay point of view. It may lead to people just pressing respawn more often than they do, not caring either way.

I like it all the same.

• Like 2

If people have to wait several mins, to figure out if they get back up again, they will respawn.

Most players in todays world have the attention span of a grasshopper on meth :P They do not want to wait hehe.

• Like 5

Ehh I am torn on the idea. I agree that being unconscious/being dead is not really interesting at the moment, but I am not sure if your suggestion, despite being more realistic, would really add anything to the game despite impatience.

How about this counter suggestion: 

When you are unconscious your vision goes in and out between blurriness and blackness. You can also still occasionally hear noises and people but it is heavily distorted and strange. This is to give the sensation that you drifting back and forth between unconsciousness and consciousness. As you begin to wake up you will begin to see more often and less blurry and your hearing slowly returns to normal.

When you are dead your screen is just black and you cannot hear anything. Just the nothingness of death.

• Like 4

I would like the "Respawn" button to work differently when unconscious. One of those two ways:

1. You can only respawn if dead or unconscious from blood loss. Any unconsciousness that has a finite duration would not allow for respawning.
  2. When unconscious you can hit the respawn button but it does not instantly kill your character - instead he/she will die when the timer ran out. If your survivor wakes up the respawn is cancelled.

A combination would also work but not knowing whether you are dead or unconscious would probably just cause people to hit the respawn button way too often. This just takes away the use of knocking out people instead of killing them.

• Like 2

Hmmm, well I would take one alternative method which is used in alot of A3 missions.  When the player is hit and floored the camera will pull out to an overhead view which represents wounded in battle, from there the UI will ask to respawn or wait for medical whilst your character rolls around in agony and you watch for x amount of time.  So my thought connected with yours would be if a character is hit with enough force to kill or knockout,  they would get a response with camera angle which pulls out to overhead view as you go down.  With no menu enabled you simply have to watch your character for signs of life and make the choice to respawn or not.  Would be a bit more interesting then black screen and also a little play off your idea with whip cream so to speak.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 3

Hmmm, well I would take one alternative method which is used in alot of A3 missions.  When the player is hit and floored the camera will pull out to an overhead view which represents wounded in battle, from there the UI will ask to respawn or wait for medical whilst your character rolls around in agony and you watch for x amount of time.  So my thought connected with yours would be if a character is hit with enough force to kill or knockout,  they would get a response with camera angle which pulls out to overhead view as you go down.  With no menu enabled you simply have to watch your character for signs of life and make the choice to respawn or not.  Would be a bit more interesting then black screen and also a little play off your idea with whip cream so to speak.

If something like this was implemented I would only ask that the camera only pulls out in third person servers. Personally I am a first person junkie and I would really really really dislike it if the first person servers ever went into third person for any reason. One of my biggest video game pet peeves is when first person games switch to third person when you get into a vehicle, mount heavy gun, die, etc. The unforgiving black "you are dead" screen is one of my favorite things about DayZ. When I am playing immersive games I never want to be reminded that I am not my character. 

Edited by mfdayz
  • Like 2

I don't like an idea that will give an unconscious person the ability to know what's going on around him. I think that you give the player a choice... wait and see if you'll come around and not lose your stuff, or respawn and risk losing it all. Now, most people will likely choose to respawn, but that's their choice. What's most important is that other players can't tell if you're dead by simply looking at you. Which, at the moment, they can. They should have to use the check pulse function.

But, in my opinion, not knowing if you're unconscious or dead doesn't add to realism, because the entire experience of being unconscious or dead is outside the "authentic" aspect of game experience as it is. In real life, it's not that you don't know which you are... it's that you are unaware of anything at all.

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 1

Hello there

I can see a lot more Arma (ACE) type stuff making it in game later on as it *should* be fairly easy to implement similar med systems.

I too see where OP is coming from, although im not sure I agree on that particular approach.

But, all ideas are warmly welcomed! Keep at it!

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Or maybe you dream when you're unconscious. A purely client side surreal experience that you slip into when unconscious... a mini-game that you can be torn from at any moment by either waking up or dying.

Then once modding is allowed, modders could come up with their own unconsciousness scenarios.

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 2

Hello there

I can see a lot more Arma (ACE) type stuff making it in game later on as it *should* be fairly easy to implement similar med systems.

I too see where OP is coming from, although im not sure I agree on that particular approach.

But, all ideas are warmly welcomed! Keep at it!

Rgds

LoK

It would really only effect those who play solo.  If you're in a group, a member can still check for a pulse to be able to tell if you're dead or unconscious.

If there is no way to tell death from uncosciounsess,then how are we supposed to know whether we should hit the "respawn" button?

That's the conflict!

Ehh I am torn on the idea. I agree that being unconscious/being dead is not really interesting at the moment, but I am not sure if your suggestion, despite being more realistic, would really add anything to the game despite impatience.

When you are unconscious your vision goes in and out between blurriness and blackness. You can also still occasionally hear noises and people but it is heavily distorted and strange. This is to give the sensation that you drifting back and forth between unconsciousness and consciousness. As you begin to wake up you will begin to see more often and less blurry and your hearing slowly returns to normal.

When you are dead your screen is just black and you cannot hear anything. Just the nothingness of death.

That might actually be a better idea.

That's exactly what I was thinking, I would love that. Your vision slowly coming back blury to see 2 guys standing over you with payday masks and rifles and then going back unconscious.

You could also make it so that you don't just become conscious. Like if you are unconscious when you start coming too, you would be quiet and still and your vision would start to come but it would take you a while to get up. You could get up faster by trying to move with the keys but doing so would make painful grunting noises. Would make combat a little more interesting.

• Like 1

For this to work you'd have to remove the respawn while unconscious function and add a 5-10 minute timer in order to respawn from actual death, otherwise people would just assume they're dead and respawn to run back and grab their gear again.

I really like this one, it still gives you a bit of bearing on what's going on, AND it does away with some of the reliance on ingame text DayZ suffers from, AND it makes being unconscious less boring. Cinematic even.

Edited by bobotype3334

This

How do you know what being dead is like? For all we know, when you die IRL you could just have white letters on a black backdrop.