Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

What to do with the edges of the map?

What would you like to see?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Select an option or add in your own a reply.

• Leave as is - a hard edge between content and none with unpopulated hills
    • Create an impenetrable barrier of mountains or cliffs
    • Create a river that is uncrossable
    • Make a repeating algorithm that generated wooded areas for "infinity"
    • Fade the greenery into desert after which an algorithm creates repeating dunes
    • Another option, please provide details in your reply.

Gah, I hate invisible barriers, impassible random mountains or magic minefields and death rays. I like the fact I can walk or swim into nothingness. It's necessary for planes as well. They just need to find a way to extend the border so people don't always encounter it by mistake. The map was never supposed to have large cities and military bases within 200 m of the debug zone. There always was a deep forested border of about 2+ km.

• Like 2

Minefield would make sense. Shit hit the fan in chernarus, mines were placed to stop the spread if the UN forces couldn't eradicate the infection. They failed, infection escaped by ship or plane, boom, apocalypse. Mines remain and kill players that attempt to flee chernarus. Minefield warning signs would help warn new players that don't understand where they are headed.

• Like 2

My first thought was "leave it as is, it works.  Next, I really liked the impermeable area, idea.  

BUT, I really like the idea that the edge of the map has huge pits with sharp sticks, bears, and tons of zombies... then if you cross over, you die.

leave it as it is.. funny reading about people who jam their W key to auto run then come and write a post about how they're lost in some weird area.

Gah, I hate invisible barriers, impassible random mountains or magic minefields and death rays. I like the fact I can walk or swim into nothingness. It's necessary for planes as well. They just need to find a way to extend the border so people don't always encounter it by mistake. The map was never supposed to have large cities and military bases within 200 m of the debug zone. There always was a deep forested border of about 2+ km.

I do agree with you, but I find the hard edge worse just now. I'd much prefer being stopped by mountains than just an invisible force field which I find the worst cop out in game development. Obviously DayZ/Arma go with the "into the void" idea rather than the "the void is impassable" one.  

I added in two options of an algorithm that generates repeating landscape based on a seed system (a la Minecraft), so perhaps that would suit you better.

I also agree with the issue regarding aircraft. That puts the fly in the ointment of having ground object creating a barrier.

make radioactive the debug area and if you going like 50 meter inside the debug is make you vary sick maybe die also make forest effect so is not EDGE OF MAP  but continue of the map so is not felt like finish line and is not broke immersions too much wen you seeing truman show effect i think radioactive is possible for post apocalypse world and will stop player hide there put car etc but also is safe to hide from enemy bandit for short time like few minute less than 50 metre inside BUT IS RISK OF DIEING this way debug is becom part of chernarus but not like extra bigger map for devs to make and maybe is possible make lesser the distance for see after nuclear disaster happen is like toxic fog zone so is not killing the FPS and less is need for draw new tree and bush

Edited by Shrub Rocketeer ™
  • Like 1

I'd prefer them either create a natural looking barrier of rocks, valleys, and streams than just making it an island or some magical barrier. It fits the lore far better, and doesn't look stupid.

Actually, I hate the idea of Chernarus+ being an island in general. EVERY open world game map, and specifically OFP/ARMA, is a fucking island. It's nice to have some kind of terrain not surrounded by water on all sides. Chernarus feels original, something unique and familiar and that's why I love it.

The map of Chernarus.

Hello there

Obviously if it were made into an island one would sculpt the map edges and rethink the borderlines otherwise it wouldnt make sense.

Nobody would condone a perfectly rectangular island, you silly muffin.

Rgds

LoK

is there plans to expand it btw?

(edit: I know Rocket spoke of Islands etc, I mean like make the mainland expandable, obviously when everyone is happy with what is contained in the current size map. Still feels a bit small to me.

Edited by wooly-back-jack

is there plans to expand it btw?

(edit: I know Rocket spoke of Islands etc, I mean like make the mainland expandable, obviously when everyone is happy with what is contained in the current size map. Still feels a bit small to me.

Hello there

Thats unlikely due to the way the map is created and how the engine handles it.

Its all magic and pixies to me, but R did once chat with me about it and the consensus way back then was that they wouldnt physically "enlarge" the Chernarus play area.

This may have changed but I doubt we will see Chernarus+ expand massively into the random zone.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1