Sign in to follow this  
The Riddler (DayZ)

Do you have Persistence turned on or off?

Howdy Folks,

If you're a server owner, I'd like to know if you have persistence "ON" or "OFF"? since the 0.50 update. 

My server: Welcome to the Jungle // 24/7 Daytime // Persistence ON    as you can see we have persistence turned on but am questioning whether to leave it on turn it back off until more development happens. 

We're not exactly sure how long loot is staying persistent as we've had folks come on TS complaining they lost all their stored stuff. We've reached out to Fragnet and they advised us they backup the persistence file every 24 hours so we have that option to explore, but what do the rest of you do/think? 

I'm curious and I hope others are as well. Let me know your thoughts below! 

• Like 1

Check out what some loot locations could turn in to with Persistence On.   Other spawning locations could be barren with no loot spawning, whatsoever.   There's not a lot of balance across the map currently with Persistence on .50 Stable.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214484-stable-branch-050-discussion/?p=2156982

Thanks man. I reported that as well a few pages back in that thread. Found a random server to play on and found gobs and gobs of loot at the NWAF. 

I have to this day NOT seen this on my server. We've checked and checked and we're not seeing this issue which makes me wonder what is different about our server and/or what our provider is doing differently than those servers with this issue. 

We've just turned persistence off as we feel it may be hurting the ability to establish our shard. New players are struggling to get get a foothold on the server and giving up and not many are returning. It seems as mentioned above, balance is way off, and I'm sure this should have been tested further on experimental branch before pushing it out to server owners regardless of alpha or not.

Thanks for the input so far. I'm starting to feel the same as far as traffic to our server. We're down from the last 2 weeks quite a bit and I can't help but think persistence is mainly to blame. Overall our server has been running far better than it did on 0.49 but we kept persistence off then. 

Anybody else care to share? I'm leaning towards turning it off on our server. 

Have persistence currently enabled on both our public and private servers and have found that some areas are spawning enough loot to gear an army and other areas have nothing. I found over 60 guns in one small area of Rify. Will probably bring up disabling it for now with my clan. Also according to recent server messages you'll need to pick up tents before maintenance on Wednesdays, which I assume means they're going to wipe servers on Wednesdays which defeats the purpose of having persistence in the first place.

We decided to turn it off today instead of waiting. We had to have Fragnet reinstall Day Z for unknown reasons today and our traffic really died once we turned it on. Now that's its been off for the past hour I've seen more players in the daytime than I have over the last several days during daytime hours here in the U.S. Not saying persistence had a direct impact on player count, but I can't rule it out. 

Are more of you leaning this way as well? We want to turn it back on asap but will wait for further development and news from the dev's on the state of persistence. 

Really appreciate you all commenting. Please keep it coming. This can be good for new server owners or others who are thinking about turning on or off. 

Our server "FOG Awaits!" has Persistence on, and we have noticed a fluctuation in loot spawning.

I'm curious about the 24 hour back-up you mentioned...

Here is a screen shot from our fragnet control panel. As you can see we have the option to delete the loot storage file which I assume is like a reset? As well we can restore the loot storage file. Fragnet states they back this file up every 24 hours and can be restored once every 24 hours. 

15595287807_7b2ca647a0.jpgfragnet options by

As I mentioned above, we turned it off due to the inconsistency in spawning loot (i.e. sometimes gobs in one location vs other places with nothing) 

As the guy above says. Due to inconsistency ours at the [MCY] GayBar is turned off. Though we are all up for persistence with day/night cycles when everything's working.

Persistence is on on our FOG server. BattleEye does server maintenance every wednesday, which will wipe everything. Persistent or not. The only advise they've given in regard to that is to pack up tents prior to the maintenance.

Persistence is on on our FOG server. BattleEye does server maintenance every wednesday, which will wipe everything. Persistent or not. The only advise they've given in regard to that is to pack up tents prior to the maintenance.

I get that, but the fact why we have it turned off at the moment is because I was under the impression that with persistence on it affects the loot respawn...is this wrong?

I get that, but the fact why we have it turned off at the moment is because I was under the impression that with persistence on it affects the loot respawn...is this wrong?

Hmm.. Persistence affects the loot respawn in what sense? I really can't offer too much insight as we've only operated our server with persistence on thus far. All I know is that with persistence on, loot will respawn once the loot that was in it's place prior is picked up. I've gotten the impression that the player count of the server seems to effect the rate at which loot spawns at. Loot doesn't spawn upon a server reset either.

I haven't really played on any public servers or non-persistent servers since the .50 build was pushed to stable for that matter. I'd say contact your server provider if you can't find your answers here.

Sorry I'm useless.  :(

Edited by blunce
  • Like 1

Good info blunce,

As far as 0.50 and a server with persistence off, think of it before the days of persistence was ever even mentioned. Loot is gone after each restart if its left on the ground no matter what but upon a restart of a server, you can go back to a place (example: Police station) and loot it up again. This is not the case with persistence turned on. If you found a Police Station empty and then the server restarts, that doesn't mean loot will automatically be inside the police station simply b/c of a restart of the server.  

Here is what Eugene posted from this thread: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214975-reddit-eugen-excessive-loot-economy-persistence-issues/  regarding the current status of Persistence:

Don't get too disheartened if loot goes back and forth and all over the place.

This is gonna take a while, we need new tech for item spawning. To implement better type and distribution logic. Don't expect it today. And I`m not sure what you mean by fixing persistence. Its a alpha feature. It fails sometimes. Servers don't lock up anymore. Don't crash as much (70% decrease over 0.49). When it gets corrupted it selfheals. You loose your stashes more to thieves than to corruption itself.

Loot does not reset, ever, its persistent so if there is no loot in some place, there wont be after restart. Its how its supposed to be. The problem with distribution of loot is in tech that can implement logic and type based spawn system on area wide spawn point matrix.

The loot system has a priority that cannot be overridden atm, so if you live in general area the chance system simply ends up filling certain areas in high quantities.

Its not a bug. Its how the system works, its simply a list of areas and spawn points in binary that it goes through like a waterfall and spawns items. Because of how that works with chance based spawn list it simply ends up spawning high amount of items in small amount of areas with no regards to types that need to spawn. (thats why there are high amounts of unusable items). But this system is going to get replaced (second iteration of global economy).

The tech isnt available to change it yet. So this is mostly intermittent state that gives us more data. We need new tech for item spawning to fix that. Its chance and priority based and simply will get to this point. No matter how we set it up. So once the new tech is in we can get the full vision of how it should work.

First iteration was about being able to set chances/lifetime etc from database and change it in realtime without maintenance. New iterations are at least two months off from now. This months stable is aimed at three features, December might just be some holiday stuff. January is gonna hit another batch of big ones.

There is only so much we can do to battle it, so its gonna be better but not by leagues. I expect a January stable release to have type distribution tech. We dont have an economy to speak about. Its mostly a chance based priority distribution system.

As Eugene mentions, they don't expect any major changes until January time frame so even with .51 coming to Stable eventually, we'll leave persistence off until we see a significant change in where loot spawns and how it spawns.  

The good news is they're working on it and they explain how difficult this approach is above in the quote I referenced. I wish I knew how to code so I could help out with such a massive project that persistence seems to be. 

• Like 2