(G4F)Stijntjehap

Cooling off

Hi everyone!

I think there should be some options to cool of. Because of the Overheating.

For freezing or being cold we have the Fireplace and the recently added heat pack.

Examples for cooling off:

- Add a cooling pack, or Ice pack

- Add cool gel

- Add a option for canteen or water bottle to pour water over your head

- Or swimming, maybe thats a good idea to cool off

Also i found a Bug/malfunction

- You are not longer able to drink from wells

- You are not longer able to fill Canteens/Water bottles from wells

I hope you like this!

See ya all later!

Edited by (G4F)Stijntjehap

The game is now set in September. Ergo taking jacket off = cools or rather fast. 

That simple. It's not summer 35*C in the shadow. 

So it is not a good idea?

Not even in the summer?

I'm not saying it's not, other than ice packs, no electricity no ice in the summer.

The best "fix" here is working persistence - because it allows you to take off your clothes without fear of losing them and everything inside to a server crash/reset.

This is something I thought up when I was running through the woods in a full ghillie suit, eventualy I became "hot" and got a little concerned. SO I thought instead of potentially getting hyperthermic I'd atleast post this to suggest a system upon which you can right click a water bottle and pour it over yourself to cool down.

Already been suggested I believe, but yes, this is essential in any survival game where overheating is a concern.

That is... an excellent way to kill yourself through hypothermia, guys.

When you are "overheating", what is happening is that you are transferring body heat from the interior of your body (your "core", aka your internal vital organs) to the skin, in an effort to cool off the vital through raditational heat exchange. AKA, you have a lot of hot blood right at the skin (which is why your skin will look flushed when you are hot). This is why we sweat, to cool down at a slow, measured pace.

Dump a whole lot of water on the skin, and while you will definitely cool off, you will also probably send yourself into shock. You will suddenly lose a whole bunch of heat from the skin, and as a result of "diffusion", the now-cool skin (and the blood at the skin) will draw heat from deeper within the body. You will basically force your body into hypothermia and shock.

This is why, when someone has hypothermia, you warm them up slowly, and when someone has heatstroke (aka the "I am overheating" in-game), you cool them down slowly. You don't just throw them into a hot/cold shower, or a body of water. That will kill them.

Bad idea, -1

When you are "overheating", what is happening is that you are transferring body heat from the interior of your body (your "core", aka your internal vital organs) to the skin, in an effort to cool off the vital through raditational heat exchange. AKA, you have a lot of hot blood right at the skin (which is why your skin will look flushed when you are hot). This is why we sweat, to cool down at a slow, measured pace.

Dump a whole lot of water on the skin, and while you will definitely cool off, you will also probably send yourself into shock. You will suddenly lose a whole bunch of heat from the skin, and as a result of "diffusion", the now-cool skin (and the blood at the skin) will draw heat from deeper within the body. You will basically force your body into hypothermia and shock.

This is why, when someone has hypothermia, you warm them up slowly, and when someone has heatstroke (aka the "I am overheating" in-game), you cool them down slowly. You don't just throw them into a hot/cold shower, or a body of water. That will kill them.

Bad idea, -1

I doubt that water sitting in a backpack for 10 hours will be ice cold. I get what you're saying, and I agree that it's a terrible idea to throw someone into a hot/cold shower, but I doubt pouring a little bit of lukewarm water on their heads is gonna be a death sentence.

Besides, I'd say that being able to instantly heal a broken leg with morphine is less realistic than pouring a bit of water on someone's head, especially since said water won't be slightly cold. No working fridges in the apocalypse.

Edited by Kirby12352
  • Like 1

Bad idea, -1

Ehm, I think you're overthinking this, I'm not planning on throwing a bucket of ice over me, I'm just thinking of splashing some water over my face, the water doesn't have to be literally freezing, just something to get me damp and as a result lower my resultant heat capacity.

I doubt that water sitting in a backpack for 10 hours will be ice cold. I get what you're saying, and I agree that it's a terrible idea to throw someone into a hot/cold shower, but I doubt pouring a little bit of lukewarm water on their heads is gonna be a death sentence.

Besides, I'd say that being able to instantly heal a broken leg with morphine is less realistic than pouring a bit of water on someone's head, especially since said water won't be slightly cold. No working fridges in the apocalypse.

Ehm, I think you're overthinking this, I'm not planning on throwing a bucket of ice over me, I'm just thinking of splashing some water over my face, the water doesn't have to be literally freezing, just something to get me damp and as a result lower my resultant heat capacity.

Guys, the water doesn't have to be freezing, or even cold. The process works because water conducts heat easier than air. Your sweat is basically body-temperature, and cools you down through the same exact process.

I have a friend that developed hypothermia in a New England summer. He took a shower at dusk and went back outside while still kinda-damp. It was 75-ish degrees F outside, which while cool for summertime is still rather warm. Within a few minutes, he started to shiver.

Guys, the water doesn't have to be freezing, or even cold. The process works because water conducts heat easier than air. Your sweat is basically body-temperature, and cools you down through the same exact process.

I have a friend that developed hypothermia in a New England summer. He took a shower at dusk and went back outside while still kinda-damp. It was 75-ish degrees F outside, which while cool for summertime is still rather warm. Within a few minutes, he started to shiver.

Taking a shower is pretty different from pouring a bit of water from a bottle on your head. If you dumped the entire bottle, it might cause hypothermia though, so maybe if it were implemented, pouring a bit of water would cool you down, while pouring the whole bottle, or almost the whole bottle, would have a good chance of giving you hypothermia?

Did he actually get hypothermia, or was he just a bit cold? After all, hypothermia is having a dangerously low body temperature, not just a bit of shivering.

This is something I thought up when I was running through the woods in a full ghillie suit, eventualy I became "hot" and got a little concerned. SO I thought instead of potentially getting hyperthermic I'd atleast post this to suggest a system upon which you can right click a water bottle and pour it over yourself to cool down.

Merged, gg.

• Like 1