slippery gypsy

welding mask

has anyone else considered the implications of what seems an entirely random piece of headwear could mean ????  ... 

also hope to test tonight if a flash bang still blinds while wearing the welding mask

Oh its not random.. I see welding (to fix vehicles) in our eventual future. 

Youll have to find the parts, the vehicle, the welding mask, and the welder as well as other things probably just to think about fixing certain issues.. going to be a nightmare, and a blast. :)

Edited by lrish

I hope welding without the mask or eye protection of any kind can blind you temporarily.   That'd be a pretty slick feature.  (maybe if you hold 'alt' and look away you could avoid it.)

• Like 3

thats exactly what i was thinking welding repairs ...possible barricading tank traps or something like that 

Youll have to find the parts, the vehicle, the welding mask, and the welder as well as other things probably just to think about fixing certain issues.. going to be a nightmare, and a blast. :)

that would further imply generators to power welders ..oxy acytlene welding seems improbable 

• Like 2

(maybe if you hold 'alt' and look away you could avoid it.)

that'd be the world's worst weld. xD

(also the mask ain't just for blindness, ya know..)

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 2

I'm wondering whether it provides any kind of protection against melee attacks to the head? At least from fists.

About as much protection as a payday mask - plus in terms of visible light it reduces your vision by about 89% (official standard) without taking into account the reduction in the area of vision. When your attack with any weapon, wearing a welding mask should give you a slightly better sighting capability than a burlap sack - about 10% of your normal eyesight. That's in full daylight or under bright electric light, I mean.. natch.

Welding mask for either gas or arc - either - you sure as shit can't fight in them, not even with your bare hands.

Edited by pilgrim

I hope welding without the mask or eye protection of any kind can blind you temporarily.   That'd be a pretty slick feature.  (maybe if you hold 'alt' and look away you could avoid it.)

They already have "face melting" which blurrs your vision, they can use that for weld burn

About as much protection as a payday mask - plus in terms of visible light it reduces your vision by about 89% (official standard) without taking into account the reduction in the area of vision. When your attack with any weapon, wearing a welding mask should give you a slightly better sighting capability than a burlap sack - about 10% of your normal eyesight. That's in full daylight or under bright electric light, I mean.. natch.

Welding mask for either gas or arc - either - you sure as shit can't fight in them, not even with your bare hands.

how did you come up with the 89% light reduction ... that would sound right for a fliptop bucket helmet but the ingame helmet is a speedi glass auto flash style which unless flashed does not reduces your vision at all only tints it green ... 

Anyone had the opportunity to use the welding mask as a protection against a flash grenade? I wonder if it changes anything. I'd do it myself but I just never found a flash grenade so far.

Edited by V0rador

This man is very perceptual a true leader indeed, listen to him. :thumbsup:

how did you come up with the 89% light reduction ... that would sound right for a fliptop bucket helmet but the ingame helmet is a speedi glass auto flash style which unless flashed does not reduces your vision at all only tints it green ... 

Someone has welding experience under their belt. B)

Anyone had the opportunity to use the welding mask as a protection against a flash grenade? I wonder if it changes anything. I'd do it myself but I just never found a flash grenade so far.

im still serching for a flashbang

• Like 1

that'd be the world's worst weld. xD

(also the mask ain't just for blindness, ya know..)

pinoy welders used to do it all the time

barefoot-college-1.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgwelding_wideweb__470x334,0.jpghomemade-welding-mask.jpg

• Like 1

Ya buddy, it's finally here!!!

The welding simulator I've been waiting for, YYEESS!!!!

you win .... i have nothing ...

Arc flash would be worse than just being blind. You'd get to experience the joy of feeling like you have sand in your eyes.

It also baffles me that they're auto-darkening helmets. I can't imagine the typical one you'd find in Chernarus would be a battery powered helmet as opposed to a standard one.

Note - visible light is only a part of the range of light frequencies which are destructive to the human eye. The close-to-visible are worse, especially UV.

I looked up the official safety listings for standard welding helmets. I started from wikipedia and then went on to the technical papers quoted there, then the legal standards and then the sales and technical pages from different companies offering gas and arc eye protection visors.  Took 10 or 12 minutes because there is a lot of reading . The ratings for light deduction are tabulated according to the wavelengths emitted by hot metal as well as by the flame or arc itself.. the 89% reduction is mandate for visible light - some manufacturers state that their product's light reduction  is higher than this requirement - over 90% for instance..However - for Ultra Violet within given wavelengths a 100% reduction is required by European law, and ... whatever... mainly the whole spectrum is cut out almost completely, from 97%-100% - and leaving only a tiny (necessary) requirement for a range of visible light to reach the eye.

Of course there exist modern facemasks with battery powered speed glass light reaction.. there are also digital image-transmission screens on sale ATM, so that the operator never looks at the process directly at all - Naturally, here where I work these are not used ..( I mean - never ) - no one has them, they are much more expensive than standard equipment and they are NOT required by law - only the 89% visible light reduction is a legal requirement., not the means to achieve it -  We all use the standard black glass vizors that are have been used by welders for many years. Pro welders (people who do nothing else) seem the most indifferent to technological advance, I have heard them say that only the amateurs care about what they can see while the arc is not lit. They hold the mask up to their face with one hand to weld and do strap it on. This is standard practice, using absolutely standard equipment.

You may have seen different actions.

The situation will be the same in eastern European countries as it in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the UK, Norway etc.. I would not expect it to be 'worse', as the standard arc-welding mask is so totally commonplace, and is used equally for brazing, etc..for all forms of welding..

The face cover gives no protection against blows of any kind, It is a large clumsy thing, non-inflammable, it protects the face from sparks and small molten metal projections, and when not welding it is difficult to see out of except within in a very reduced angle. You could not drive a car or run up stairs wearing one, for instance, even with the glass removed, because your vision is too constrained. The limited field of view is (exactly?) similar if you are using a modern electronic reactive glass faceplate. 

... so that's where the 89% visible-light reduction comes from, to answer your question :  - from European and USA  law on industrial and working standards, legal safety parameters, and  the performance statements on the many pages where this stuff is sold, where they also emphasize the legal requirements to define the efficiency of their gear..

so you can't miss it if you look.

Edited by pilgrim