Sign in to follow this  
shane21022 (DayZ)

Is it time to come back?

No. Many things are still broken; the game is relatively unchanged as far as mechanics and goals. People still shoot on sight, there's only the one map they keep stamping more buildings into, many things that worked previously are now broken, many game-breaking bugs and hacks persist. 

Wait a few more years, or give up entirely. DayZ is going down the drain. (*prepares for fanboy flame*)

• Like 1

No. Many things are still broken; the game is relatively unchanged as far as mechanics and goals. People still shoot on sight, there's only the one map they keep stamping more buildings into, many things that worked previously are now broken, many game-breaking bugs and hacks persist.

Wait a few more years, or give up entirely. DayZ is going down the drain. (*prepares for fanboy flame*)

Oh poor you, did you get shot by a hacker two months ago and now are back to express how bad you suck at staying hidden ? Lol if you're a complainer like this guy has always been id say wait until vehicles are in cuz that's all these complainers want ... But on the real flip side , horticulture and barricading is in although simple right nOw , temperature is in but it's an extreme WIP , military guns are more scarce but guns and ammo are every where , persistence works on most servers and will work 100% within this month I can guarantee it ... Degradation of items coming very soon as on this patch everything is pristine so they must be preparing for something .. Tents do work and are in the game don't listen to the kids that get butt hurt simply because their tent disappeared because they didn't test the server they were on first before plopping down their favorite item lol ...

Cooking and trapping is still basic but yet we already have a better trapping mechanic than in the mod lol , and I can guarantee you that we will have a much more advanced cooking system in beta .. Oh and I don't know about you guys but I've never had experiences on dayz mod like I do on dayz standalone , the player to player interaction is by far wayyy better in standalone than in the mod for many reasons : standalone has handcuffs giving more than enough reason to take someone Alive. Standalone has only direct chat forcing people to talk while in front of each other not over side chat so anyone can talk to anyone on the server without being close to one another .. Standalone is way more balanced than the mod , in the mod all you have to worry about after a gunfight is "did I get hurt, did my car get shot ?" .. In standalone it's more like that PLUS : "shit did my backpack or any of my items become useless ? Did I break my arm ?" Which creates a much more valid excuse to leave a town when spotting someone else as opposed to just fighting them like in the mod ..

So my suggestion to all of you , If you're not into human interaction , attention to detail, and a real survival experience with temperature involved (mods temperature system sucked you only got cold in the water and you never get hot ) then I guess the mod is for you because you can just drive vehicles and make bases. But if you've played the mod for years like me and have realized that it's not going ANYWHERE because of all the limitations of being a mod , and simply because the mods are always more pvp oriented rather than survival oriented then stick with dayz standalone , it will have vehicles and base building within the next few months ... Vehicles are closer to being implemented than base building but still base building is not far off.

But go play dayz mod for now if you can't stand the glitches and constant re-balancing that is guaranteed to happen with an Alpha , you'll only see yourself addicted to dayz standalone come Christmas/ New Years time when everything is in and semi - balanced .

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 2

Christmas isn't that far away, so I'm not expecting any giant breakthroughs by then.

I play a bit after every major update just to see where things are. 

While still a bit buggy, the game feels a lot more "solid" these days. 

I like some of the new features like apple picking and temperature, I feel like I can have myself a nice little autumn Saturday with the family!  (If not for the zombies and bandits)/

Being able to lock doors is way cool.

The zombies still suck.  They may have better models than the Mod, but the gameplay is still terrible.  They are few and far between.  They will stand there like statutes rather than roam about like in the Mod, until they "agro", at which point they will track you to the ends of the Earth.  The good news is that other melee weapons like brass knuckles, bats and fists will take a zombie out after a few hits, so you don't feel completely defenseless without a fire ax.

Still a lot of "placeholder" loot like antibiotics and other stuff that doesn't do anything.

Lot more variety of clothing and guns and other gear, but loot distribution still a bit wonky.

Christmas isn't that far away, so I'm not expecting any giant breakthroughs by then.

I play a bit after every major update just to see where things are.

While still a bit buggy, the game feels a lot more "solid" these days.

I like some of the new features like apple picking and temperature, I feel like I can have myself a nice little autumn Saturday with the family! (If not for the zombies and bandits)/

Being able to lock doors is way cool.

The zombies still suck. They may have better models than the Mod, but the gameplay is still terrible. They are few and far between. They will stand there like statutes rather than roam about like in the Mod, until they "agro", at which point they will track you to the ends of the Earth. The good news is that other melee weapons like brass knuckles, bats and fists will take a zombie out after a few hits, so you don't feel completely defenseless without a fire ax.

Still a lot of "placeholder" loot like antibiotics and other stuff that doesn't do anything.

Lot more variety of clothing and guns and other gear, but loot distribution still a bit wonky.

Vehicles were slated for release if everything goes well , for Christmas :) ... Also zombies DO roam randomly , but for now they have a set area to roam which is rather small , leaving them to roam the same hill .. But again by Xmas I think we will see another advancement of ai (including zombies) .

"Placeholder loot" you speak of , well I wouldn't call that place holder as my suspicion of the devs purposely turning off water wells so we would have to drink the natural water which in turn could be the start to disease contracting , could be right ... I hope they are really adding diseases very soon like my paranoia believes , as it would make use of these "placeholder lewtZ" to become incredibly useful .

Waiting to play dayz so I must discuss :) .

Id say give it a bit longer, I got over 1500mod hours but have yet to break the 100hr mark on SA/ Iv installed and uninstalled countless times to test out new features when they arrive but its still a very hollow experience compared with the mod. As others have said it is coming along nicely, and I have no doubt it will outshine the mod in every way when its finished, but that's a ways away atm. Best bet wait till Jan....with any luck will be at least one vehicle in and (I hope) persistence aswell, two key dayz features:)

But go play dayz mod for now if you can't stand the glitches and constant re-balancing that is guaranteed to happen with an Alpha , you'll only see yourself addicted to dayz standalone come Christmas/ New Years time when everything is in and semi - balanced .

That's what I call a true believer, borderline naive. :P

Look back from now to start of the year and name which mechanics/changes have changed your gameplay in DayZ S.A. ;)

to me, it seems there are more things in game...which is nice. But, it is alot more unstable to what it was in first few months of release.

Servers going down without warning, hits not registering on zombies etc. Many times I have been pwned by zombies by pure bullshit. Using a weapon with a long reach and hearing the hit sound, keep strafing and thinking you are dodging the blows from the zombies HANDS but they have a reach like fucking plastic man. 

Edited by wooly-back-jack

"Placeholder loot" you speak of , well I wouldn't call that place holder as my suspicion of the devs purposely turning off water wells so we would have to drink the natural water which in turn could be the start to disease contracting , could be right ... I hope they are really adding diseases very soon like my paranoia believes , as it would make use of these "placeholder lewtZ" to become incredibly useful .

Waiting to play dayz so I must discuss :) .

Ergo "placeholder" :D

Really I'm referring to anything like antibiotics, water treatment pills, walky talkies and so on that at the moment doesn't seem to have any real function.

I would assume they would be adding diseases to the water and those items would then become useful.  Just like the mod where you had to boil water or treat it or risk getting sick (after which point you would then need antibiotics to get better).

I'm also assuming the health stuff will be improved as well.  I've been running around with a busted arm and "my leg hurts" all day, but with no real actual affect on my character.  Again, I would assume that a broken arm would eventually make certain items useless if they require 2 hands (like an ax or rifle).  Also that certain injuries or diseases would become progressive (as in get worse) if you don't treat with antibiotics or whatever.

LOL, yeah, but no. Task was misunderstood. Better luck being smart another time.

Was asking which changes to the game has been so significant during the last year, that they have changed you play style. -That's right. None.

Apparently you can't read so I'm not going to waste time going into details.

For the record, no it's not time for you to come back

Edited by Caboose187

But again by Xmas I think we will see another advancement of ai

The dev tracker linked to a reddit post about a month ago... I don't remember who said it but it was something like this.

The team is working on a new AI sensor method that will be at engine level. The current AI sensors are at script level so they are both performance hungry and not very flexible. Once the new sensors are in place they expect to support a large amount of all AI types that will enable stealth gameplay in a great way.

They also suggested the goal is thousands of zombies per server. So if the new sensors, vehicles, and barricading are in place for the holidays, dayz will probably hold steam #1 sales even through the steam winter sale.

My most anticipated feature is zombie bears. The devs have never even confirmed it but you dont see me raging. (Yet)

Edited by TheFarm

Bowed out three weeks ago after 650 hours. Don't even miss it. Logged in here out of curiosity. Not much new. Same problems, hangups. Same old brown nosers (see above).

I played for a few hours today.

Spawned in Kamyshovo on a full server and quickly found a bat, clip of 7.62mm and sunglasses, but not much else.  Came across another new spawn with a pick ax and a cowboy hat.  After a brief tense exchange, we decided to team up and made our way west.   I eventually found a shotgun but no shells and he picked up a Mosin.  He seemed ok so far and was going on about how his last partner killed him after a few hours for no reason, but I wasn't ready to trust him enough to give him the ammo for his weapon.  From his lack of basic geography knowledge and his seeming surprise that people just kill you for no reason, I quickly ascertain he is new to DayZ.  Or maybe that's what he wants me to think.

Electro was curiously free of snipers and bandits.  All of a sudden, my partner started taking hits to the face from an unseen opponent.  Then it looked like he passed out and an exact duplicate walked up to the body.  He thought I had hit him with the bat until he received a message "sorry..I just wanted your Mosin", leading us to believe he was hacked.  The hacker was nice enough to leave my partner an SKS though so as a token of trust that I didn't attack him, I gave him the ammo (which actually wouldn't have fit the Mosin anyway).

A second later, a Kid wearing a welders helmet and a puffy coat rounds the corner.  Still on edge from the hackattack, we hold him at gunpoint until we ascertain he is harmless.  We invite him to join, but shortly thereafter Kid tells us he is glitched and asks us to kill him.  Partner is about to shoot him in the head, but we're short on ammo so I convince him that the melees weapons would be more appropriate.  Sadly we go about the unfortunate task of beating Kid to death.

We make our way through Electro without further incident, killing a few zombies and picking up just enough food and drink to not die of starvation.  We get to know each other a little better as we head towards Cherno.  We discuss how the zombies are still sort of wonky (as we kill a few along the way). I'm literally dying of thirst so we stop at a pond to take on water.  I accidently wade into the pond and while I'm wringing my clothes out, I spot player contact coming directly at his.  Partner heads off to intercept while I'm stuck in "wring clothes" animations for a minute or so.  I catch up with my Partner inside a nearby house, standing over the dead player.  "I'm sorry you had to see that" he says.  "Yeah..it's a real affront to my delicate sensibilities." I reply.  "Lets get the fuck out of here in case he has friends who actually have ammo in their guns".

Cherno's a bust ammo-wise, but at least we aren't going to die of hunger or thirst.  And the weather is balmy enough that the dampness isn't a factor.  Coming around a corner, all of a sudden, I see another player point his gun at me and yells "don't move!!"  Turns out it's just my Partner in a different hat, but more alarming is the third player right behind me with an ax who I didn't even see!

My Partner holds him at gunpoint with the SKS and I pull out the shotgun and make him get on his knees.  Our sneaky friend turns out to be an annoying little Dipshit.  Dipshit starts whining and acting erratic and my partner is unusually silent.  I switch to baseball bat and bonk the Dipshit on the back of the head.  "Boring conversation anyway".  He goes down and my partners like "shit..I glitched out for a second. Did you kill him?"  I replied "he might be sleeping..no matter...lets take his shit...dibs on that hatchet".  We finish cleaning him out and all of a sudden the Dipshit wakes up again.  He starts freaking out, screaming at us "thanks a lot jerks!  You left me with nothing!" and looks like he wants to charge us.  "Get out of here Dipshit" I warn him, and my Partner fires off a couple of warning rounds with the SKS.

Anyhow, we spend the next 15 minutes or so searching western Cherno for loot, laughing about that Dipshit we almost killed, and killing the occasional zombie.  My partner applauds the one-hit mid-air ax to the head takedown I perform on a leaping zombie, using the ax I just appropriated. 

And a few minutes later the server resets.

Bottom line, yes there are still as many bugs and weird glitches and hackers as ever.  But you can still get a really fun DayZ post-apocalyptic experience.

Edited by bfisher
  • Like 1

When standalone came out I bought it immediately and I regret nothing.  But I stopped playing for a while and waited for them to release updates so it would be more fun.  I was wondering what everyone's opinion of DayZ SA is at the moment.  Is it worth replaying with friends or should I wait another 3-4 months?

it is literally the same game that it was when it released in 2013, give or take a couple of fixed bugs and new items. Movement is still as clunky as it was on release day, zombies are the same more or less meaning that there are none of them around and all you have to do is walk in a circle and beat on them and they can't do anything to you lol...  lag's still bad, map is still boring, no transportation and all the servers are pretty much dead usually (for a reason, this alpha is really really bad).

The people who are saying its worth it to come back to this clearly didn't play this on day 1 because this is still the same damn alpha where virtually everything is placeholder.

Edited by Shelledfade
  • Like 1

it is literally the same game that it was when it released in 2013,

I think you mean "figuratively".

• Like 1

it is literally the same game that it was when it released in 2013, give or take a couple of fixed bugs and new items. Movement is still as clunky as it was on release day, zombies are the same more or less meaning that there are none of them around and all you have to do is walk in a circle and beat on them and they can't do anything to you lol...  lag's still bad, map is still boring, no transportation and all the servers are pretty much dead usually (for a reason, this alpha is really really bad).

The people who are saying its worth it to come back to this clearly didn't play this on day 1 because this is still the same damn alpha where virtually everything is placeholder.

I have not been on in 4 months. If what you speak is true, then I am even more disappointed then I was expecting to be. Are servers still capped at 40? 

I have not been on in 4 months. If what you speak is true, then I am even more disappointed then I was expecting to be. Are servers still capped at 40? 

How about you try it and see for yourself instead of reading misinformation and outright lying.

• Like 2

How about you try it and see for yourself instead of reading misinformation and outright lying.

Ah, I wish I had more time on my hands, its luxury I did not know I had until I lost it. But you're right, ill try it as soon as I can. Really hope it is worth that install, was trying to get more info before hand to judge. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  

Edited by xX_fr0st-w0lf_Xx

Ah, I wish I had more time on my hands, its luxury I did not know I had until I lost it. But you're right, ill try it as soon as I kind. Really hope it is worth that install, was trying to get more info before hand to judge. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  

Oh, and servers are only up to 50 players.  Forgot to mention that in my previous post.

• Like 1

Oh poor you, did you get shot by a hacker two months ago and now are back to express how bad you suck at staying hidden ? Lol if you're a complainer like this guy has always been id say wait until vehicles are in cuz that's all these complainers want ... But on the real flip side , horticulture and barricading is in although simple right nOw , temperature is in but it's an extreme WIP , military guns are more scarce but guns and ammo are every where , persistence works on most servers and will work 100% within this month I can guarantee it ... Degradation of items coming very soon as on this patch everything is pristine so they must be preparing for something .. Tents do work and are in the game don't listen to the kids that get butt hurt simply because their tent disappeared because they didn't test the server they were on first before plopping down their favorite item lol ...

Cooking and trapping is still basic but yet we already have a better trapping mechanic than in the mod lol , and I can guarantee you that we will have a much more advanced cooking system in beta .. Oh and I don't know about you guys but I've never had experiences on dayz mod like I do on dayz standalone , the player to player interaction is by far wayyy better in standalone than in the mod for many reasons : standalone has handcuffs giving more than enough reason to take someone Alive. Standalone has only direct chat forcing people to talk while in front of each other not over side chat so anyone can talk to anyone on the server without being close to one another .. Standalone is way more balanced than the mod , in the mod all you have to worry about after a gunfight is "did I get hurt, did my car get shot ?" .. In standalone it's more like that PLUS : "shit did my backpack or any of my items become useless ? Did I break my arm ?" Which creates a much more valid excuse to leave a town when spotting someone else as opposed to just fighting them like in the mod ..

So my suggestion to all of you , If you're not into human interaction , attention to detail, and a real survival experience with temperature involved (mods temperature system sucked you only got cold in the water and you never get hot ) then I guess the mod is for you because you can just drive vehicles and make bases. But if you've played the mod for years like me and have realized that it's not going ANYWHERE because of all the limitations of being a mod , and simply because the mods are always more pvp oriented rather than survival oriented then stick with dayz standalone , it will have vehicles and base building within the next few months ... Vehicles are closer to being implemented than base building but still base building is not far off.

Yeah, No. I have never been shot by a hacker. I like DayZ standalone a lot. I am just aware that the development is going fucking nowhere; apparently you're still oblivious to this. I played the mod too; the development on that has completely stopped and they always use the safety blanket of "alpha" there as well. Do you seriously think the mod version is less broken? I hope not.  

Are you trying to bait someone? Feels like it.

Not trying to bait, but I knew someone would get really offended by an internet stranger saying that maybe their favorite game isn't perfect. What do you know, someone did reply and get offended.

^ If you are waiting for the finished product, then you it will no be time to comeback for another ~year and half... <insert applicable proverb in English about judging something in WIP >