Whyherro123

Agriculture

Whatever else they do with horticulture, they have to significantly build the time it takes for seeds to develop into adult plants that supply eatable foodstuff. 

You ought to in no way, shape or form have the capacity to plant a few seeds and afterward collect a harvest in the same play-session. When ingenuity is working appropriately, there's no reason not to develop this timing - individuals will be leaving apparatus and setting up camps on a server after they log out with the desire (trust) that despite everything it'll be there when they return, so that ought to apply to agriculture too. Aeon Grow Lights can help indoor plants to have good and increase in their growth.

I sort of agree: But until grown food does anything better than the cans of food you can find lying on the floor in a house, and until servers restarts happen less sooner*, and allow crops to carry over**, the only reason anyone is growing anything is for the fact that they can have a decent food source in a reasonable*** amount of time. 

* in experimental now, some servers have 12 hour times until resets.

** Last time we had persistence, I believe crops disappeared when resets happened. I might be wrong, but when i last grew a crop, early .55, it disappeared on me during a restart.

*** It takes about 20 minutes, more or less, for crops to grow. And as of now, they don't give you much energy or hydration. You'll need a dozen units of a typical low grade grown food to get you anywhere stat wise. Which I personally think is fine, considering you can just keep growing them over and over.

There's no reason why somebody should die of hunger in one four hour play session either realistically, but that wouldn't be fun now would it?

For now  I ain't gonna waste time planting seeds because there's no need to, It's just for people who want to test new things but it isn't necessary to survive

There's a fuck ton of canned food in every house

But once they lower the number of the canned food then I will maybe look forward to plants

Edited by Sperglord

For now  I ain't gonna waste time planting seeds because there's no need to, It's just for people who want to test new things but it isn't necessary to survive

There's a fuck ton of canned food in every house

But once they lower the number of the canned food then I will maybe look forward to plants

That probably won't happen, because too many people complained during .58 experimental about a shortage of canned food loot. The developers said they'll look into making food less scarce with CLE going forward. 

But, it should be an interesting option, if you're in the middle of nowhere, near small towns with little loot, and/or are having trouble hunting. 

Even if you hate growing food, it still might be necessary for a nomad type in the middle of nowhere, or near towns that will constantly be looted.

Even around towns to the west. There are a lot of towns that are great places to set up camp near, because people will most likely pass through them and move on quickly toward the airfields.

I've personally found a particular town where I could potentially live in a off-to-the-side house, using the stove to cook and for warmth, and the rooms to store stuff in.

And I think it's particular location will mean that most ardently aggressive player will move on before finding me, but the more casual friendly player may randomly come upon my humble abode.

The only downside is that I wont be able to offer them coffee or tea. 

But maybe I can share tokes of cannabis with them or something, depends on how that works out.

• Like 1

That probably won't happen, because too many people complained during .58 experimental about a shortage of canned food loot. The developers said they'll look into making food less scarce with CLE going forward. 

Well that ruined all my hopes.

Are we wanting DayZ or FarmZ.  I thought this game was suppose to be about the struggle to survive, not the struggle to grow your own cornfield? Given the time that DayZ is suppose to be set in, late fall?, trying to grow your farmland doesn't really seem all that viable.

Also, good job at reviving a year old thread.

Edited by leader.one

Well that ruined all my hopes.

Hey, I might be wrong.

They are still working on CLE, and when .58 hits, it might be a whole new ball field. 

Are we wanting DayZ or FarmZ.  I thought this game was suppose to be about the struggle to survive, not the struggle to grow your own cornfield? Given the time that DayZ is suppose to be set in, late fall?, trying to grow your farmland doesn't really seem all that viable.

One one hand:

"Use the search bar! These threads exist already!"

On the other hand:

"Jeez, why is anyone reviving an old thread."

Maybe I'm mistaking your point. But it makes me think of:

One one hand:

"Use the search bar! These threads exist already!"

On the other hand:

"Jeez, why is anyone reviving an old thread."

Maybe I'm mistaking your point. But it makes me think of:

yup, necroing isn't bad at all, it's also viable due to DayZ constantly changing, being in development and all

i would like for farming not to be a "get food in fifteen minutes"

but more like a "if i run out of food in about an hour or two, i know where i can get some food, because i've grown it"

the problem however is that players could stumble upon your field during you being away, and it's not really worth the food atm to hide a pumpkin patch 1km away from a city, since food is pretty much everywhere... but i hope that will change

I want both. Bully for you mate.

Farming/making your own food, is technically basic survival. 

If you want a less technical reason:

During one of the patches, (I believe it was early .55), loot of ANY kind was extremely scarce. I died 3 time in a row during the course of several hours, because I couldn't find food.

[NOTE: I HAD chose at the time to hover around the coast. I most likely would have been okay if I had decided to head west/north, and that's only if i got lucky on my route.]

I went from Kamy to Cherno, and back to Berenzino, and died 3 times on my days adventure. I kept stuffing whatever I could find of value [including seeds, extra water, and fertilizer] in a tent outside Cherno, until I was on my 3rd guy, and had enough to move on.

Got up to Berenzino, made a farm [berenzino was almost completely empty], and even shared food with a bambie. The next player screwed me over in a zombie ambush, and took my backpack full of seeds, water, and fertilizer when I died.

So I was left to bitterly crunch down on what food I had grown in my little garden. With the loss of fertilizer and water containers, I called it quits at the time. 

Another session after that, I had to make an emergency farm in Cherno, just to keep my decently geared guy alive.

Farming: it's a survival thing. It's very human. 

We should be able to grow reefer. Not only is it fun to smoke, but it has many other uses such as using it to make rope, canvas, clothing just to name a few. It also helps protect you from thebeetus

Whatever else they do with agriculture, they need to dramatically increase the time it takes for seeds to grow into mature plants that supply edible foodstuff.

You should absolutely not be able to plant some seeds and then harvest a crop in the same play-session. Once persistence is working properly, there's no reason not to extend this timing - people will be leaving gear and setting up camps on a server after they log out with the expectation (hope) that it'll still be there when they return, so that should apply to horticulture as well.

Whatever else they do with horticulture, they have to significantly build the time it takes for seeds to develop into adult plants that supply eatable foodstuff. 

You ought to in no way, shape or form have the capacity to plant a few seeds and afterward collect a harvest in the same play-session. When ingenuity is working appropriately, there's no reason not to develop this timing - individuals will be leaving apparatus and setting up camps on a server after they log out with the desire (trust) that despite everything it'll be there when they return, so that ought to apply to agriculture too. Aeon Grow Lights can help indoor plants to have good and increase in their growth.

You shall be hearing from my lawyer, sir.

Agriculture is great for campers. Hide the garden a kilometre or so away from where you're camping and killing people. When you get hungry, you won't need to rush into town to feed yourself, risking your life. You can take to the hills and woods and seek refuge at your garden for a feed, and water from the nearby slice source.

That being said, I do prefer fishing for food survival wise. Fertiliser takes up a heap of space in your inventory, as do shovels and water bottles. A fishing rod on the other hand can be slung over your back and a knife for skinning fish and digging up worms can be stuffed in your boots.

Agriculture is great for campers. Hide the garden a kilometre or so away from where you're camping and killing people. When you get hungry, you won't need to rush into town to feed yourself, risking your life. You can take to the hills and woods and seek refuge at your garden for a feed, and water from the nearby slice source.

That being said, I do prefer fishing for food survival wise. Fertiliser takes up a heap of space in your inventory, as do shovels and water bottles. A fishing rod on the other hand can be slung over your back and a knife for skinning fish and digging up worms can be stuffed in your boots.

Last time I did some farming (think it was in .55) there was no need for "fertilizer".

Just needed something to dig, seeds and water.

No idea if that has changed, though.

When harvesting you get natural fertilizer, which only takes one slot in the inventory.

I think farming would be the thing to do if you were worried about encountering other players while looting for canned goods. 

In order to limit your exposure to populated areas you would instead rely of farming as a food source. Without the need to enter possibly populated towns your survival chances increase. 

Also consider the  possibility of a remote base (increasing unrealistic considering how many towns there are now) that is logistically unfeasible to sustain because of the time required to travel from base to town and back. Farming would be ideal so that the base would be self sufficient.

Right now looting is easy away from the coast, so farming is unnecessary.  No lack of untouched houses, plus almost no zombies or players. With more appropriate numbers of both it might make more sense to look to alternatives to looting.