Sign in to follow this  
sofia

Killing zombies

hi,

I find the uncertainty of zombie fighting rather disturbing. I´m getting the hand of it to the point I thought they were peanuts, but sometimes I hit them and it´s like i am hitting an hallucination. Or maybe my character is drunk? I hit 20 times and nothing happens. I hit them on the back of their head when they are distracted and that would be a ridiculous sight to who might watch from afar. I'm hitting air. I hit slightly above their head, I hit a little to the left, I hit right in the middle of the eyes. Nothing. Other times, it´s spot on.

I am wondering if the fact that my fireaxe is damaged (just damaged) has to do anything to it, because I tried with a pickaxe and it seems to work much better. Or is it lag? Bugs?

Also, I tried to sharpen the axe with a rock and I cant. It just turns red when I try to move the rock to the axe.

Could someone perhaps give me an insight?

Thanks.

Edited by sofia

Aside from some lag issues sometimes (zombies dropping a few seconds after I've hit them) melee seems to work fine for me. Damage shouldn't be an issue, I just plowed through a dozen zombies with a damaged fire axe. I tend to hit to the right of them, and dragging my attack if needed. I get them on the first swing 75% of the time, and if I miss, I just circle around waiting for another shot.

As for grinding, I think you have to drag the axe onto the rock and not vice versa... not sure though, I've not sharpened an axe in ages.

• Like 1

For the moment, a hit to the body is acceptable too. Some weapons just require more hits. 

As for zeds...I do what Sacha does.

The axe needs to be Badly Damaged for the stone to sharpen it up 1 level to Damaged.

Melee will be different after the update tomorrow and will change many times in the months to come.

The version of DayZ you are playing is far from complete and is less than 1 year old as a standalone version.

Please take time to read the threads on the development of the game.

• Like 1

It's quite hard to kill a Zed with your fists only. It was easier in the past.

Try to hit the head while aiming a bit higher.

Or try to avoid them as long you can't use an axe or something like that.

• Like 1

I always wait for the zombie to have swung at me first (side step it), and then swing my axe while it stands there for a few seconds thinking about it. Sometimes the swing is off and you miss when you would think it was bang on. Other times you can seemingly kill a zombie as it runs past you and your axe went nowhere near it ^^ Try attacking in first person mode if you're not already. It's a must if you're punching or using a screwdriver as you can be much more accurate with your hits.

Now the crouching ones on the otherhand....

Edited by Caryl

It's quite hard to kill a Zed with your fists only. It was easier in the past.

Try to hit the head while aiming a bit higher.

Or try to avoid them as long you can't use an axe or something like that.

it's harder indeed. it seems that they reduced slightly the range of fists so it's harder to hit them in the head. with no lag, killing one zombie with fists is still not difficult, with some desynchr issues, i prefer to run from them until i found a axe or a hoe.

Works fine for me. If punching, aim for the head. Screwdrivers, axes, pickaxes, shovels, hacksaws, and hoes seem to do the best. Of course this may change a bit when we get to future versions.

As fur movement, just steel to the side. Ashtrays. That way, even if you get a bit of lash, they still will miss you.

hi,

I find the uncertainty of zombie fighting rather disturbing. I´m getting the hand of it to the point I thought they were peanuts, but sometimes I hit them and it´s like i am hitting an hallucination. Or maybe my character is drunk? I hit 20 times and nothing happens. I hit them on the back of their head when they are distracted and that would be a ridiculous sight to who might watch from afar. I'm hitting air. I hit slightly above their head, I hit a little to the left, I hit right in the middle of the eyes. Nothing. Other times, it´s spot on.

I am wondering if the fact that my fireaxe is damaged (just damaged) has to do anything to it, because I tried with a pickaxe and it seems to work much better. Or is it lag? Bugs?

Also, I tried to sharpen the axe with a rock and I cant. It just turns red when I try to move the rock to the axe.

Could someone perhaps give me an insight?

Thanks.

The game is in alpha, not everything is perfect. sometimes it will glitch out on you like that but you should stop experiencing this shortly.

Killed my first Zombie. Pitchfork works great! Smack in the head, dead! Having a decent melee weapon makes all the difference.

I noticed that holding the button while swinging gets more hits than just clicking it. Especially if you have a fast weapon like a knife or baton.