saamohod

Shoes in experimental

We are not testing, the devs do. You delivered the data they were looking for, most likely if the degradation works as intendet and if there have been bugs that passed through their internal QA in the mechanic itself. They were not testing how long the shoes last because thats a value you can alter quite easily.

I cant figure out if you are disagreeing with me or just stating a new idea that somehow bares roots in my previous statement.

I cant figure out if you are disagreeing with me or just stating a new idea that somehow bares roots in my previous statement.

Good question lol. Might have misunderstood you. It depends if you agreed to kilchi's quote below or not. :)

If you think this mechanic breaks your experience, don't play experimental

Good question lol. Might have misunderstood you. It depends if you agreed to kilchi's quote below or not. :)

There is some grey in between my options

Edited by Bakermensch

It is not even clear that his implementation will be in the final game, as everything is subject to change. This is the very reason it's not worth raging about it. And the feedback being brought forth in this thread isn't constructive feedback about this very early stage of the implementation - it's essentially just "Devs are shit, shoes don't wear down in 30 minutes of game" - and this will not be accepted. Not just because it's a very one-dimensional thought and lazy at that.

If you can give constructive feedback leaving out the time it takes to wear down a shoe and how it's implemented at this time you can discuss it all you like. I have given you reasons as to why not discuss the time.

no its simple. people dont want generally shoes wearing down. look at the main focus of why people buy this game . its for zombies and killing things period. everything else is sidelines.

you have umteen messages about everything in the world. why ? what has that added to my dayz experience ? it adds frustation and rage as i didnt buy shoe simulator i brought into this ip to shoot kill zomibes and survive not check how my shoe status is or if im cold or wet every two seconds.

i do come across as a **** but thats because it seems that the lack of understanding what people actually want is being disregarded.

you want to know the simple basics of what people want. you see the walking dead series on tv . thats it ! that mirrors exactly what people want from a zombie game. why ?

for eg early on all lovely lets work together. move on a season not so trusting. now kill everyone.

people arnt bothered about shoes !!!!! or other silly things. the more you add little sidelines people just question why ? why are you wasting time on adding useless additions which in general most dont want (fanboys will want/like whatever you add regardless)

i get you want to make Dayz more than spawn shoot someone in face but the audience wants shoot in face kill a load of zombies not shoe maintenance . you only have to look at the history of dayz on servers to see all the busiest servers on the mod were kill pvp servers.

understand the people who want dayz and what majority want. watch walking dead analyze it notice the changes they have made and why !!!

they have changed the most recent series because people dont want silly shit they want action and zombies. its all relevant.

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 1

no its simple. people dont want generally shoes wearing down. look at the main focus of why people buy this game . its for zombies and killing things period. everything else is sidelines.

you have umteen messages about everything in the world. why ? what has that added to my dayz experience ? it adds frustation and rage as i didnt buy shoe simulator i brought into this ip to shoot kill zomibes and survive not check how my shoe status is or if im cold or wet every two seconds.

i do come across as a **** but thats because it seems that the lack of understanding what people actually want is being disregarded.

you want to know the simple basics of what people want. you see the walking dead series on tv . thats it ! that mirrors exactly what people want from a zombie game. why ?

for eg early on all lovely lets work together. move on a season not so trusting. now kill everyone.

people arnt bothered about shoes !!!!! or other silly things. the more you add little sidelines people just question why ? why are you wasting time on adding useless additions which in general most dont want (fanboys will want/like whatever you add regardless)

i get you want to make Dayz more than spawn shoot someone in face but the audience wants shoot in face kill a load of zombies not shoe maintenance . you only have to look at the history of dayz on servers to see all the busiest servers on the mod were kill pvp servers.

understand the people who want dayz and what majority want. watch walking dead analyze it notice the changes they have made and why !!!

they have changed the most recent series because people dont want silly shit they want action and zombies. its all relevant.

Speak for yourself, boyo.

I want a survival game, not a "pick up the closest blunt object and go PK-ing" game. Deterioration of equipment is a part of survival.

From what I have read on this forum, a lot of players agree with me. At least, the ones that are mature and can actually plan ahead instead of just using their forebrains.

• Like 1

How about no because the game isn't about what people want it's about putting the player in as realistic a world as possible, if it they added everything people wanted well then we'd just have a generic shit zombie game with 50 cal snipers, rocket launchers and ammo pickups everywhere.

Shoes should degrade, it doesn't matter if you don't care about shoes they're important to survival...

Why don't you try going barefoot for a week walking round the streets? You won't be walking long and you'll be in incredible pain.

That said from what I read here the speed of degradation is definitely unacceptable it should take much longer, 10-20 hours per shoe type I'd say since the game is going to be having shorter days that's going to equate to many, so I guess it's kind of fair.

The main problems are how they degrade and what shoes degrade...

Could it not be that if you run across rocky terrain your shoes get wrecked faster and fields etc they barely get wrecked at all? Mountain boots shouldn't be bothered by muddy fields, running shoes should get wrecked by them but allow the player to run faster.

I hope they develop it that far at least instead of the ground no matter what doing a constant amount of damage.

So many people complain that the game is "Running Simulator 2014" well guess what this is how running works, shoes get wrecked. I guess they have something new to complain about now as always.

• Like 7

I don't play DayZ to kill zombies or to kill other players. If I wanted to do that I could play any number of titles that do it a lot better. I play DayZ to survive, with or despite other players. Survive nature, survive zombies, survive other people. So the question here is, does a shoe degradation mechanic enhance the game?

If it just stops at, 'shoes wear down over time, you take a bit of damage from wearing ruined shoes' then no, it doesn't really add much. You could say that it adds preparation for going a long distance. If you were moving from the far east tot he far west of the map, you might have to stock up on some shoes or duct tape. And it could also add a bit more scarcity to shoes, causing more conflict between a person lacking shoes and one having shoes. But in reality this isn't that much impact to the game.

However this change from shoes being static objects, that you just have for the sake of having, opens up the doors to new possibilities involving your choice in footwear. Its the first step to things like a shoes performance changing according to the terrain. A noticeable difference between wearing combat boots and sneakers. Sneakers hold up well on hard surfaces like pavement. They're light and won't tire you out, they don't make a lot of noise, they allow you quite a bit of dexterity with your ankle, they breath well too. Whereas combat boots are a bit loud and clunky. But they perform a lot better in the woods, with superior grip, waterproofing, ankle support, not to mention massive durability. There are a lot of different shoes in DayZ, and this is the first step towards them all having unique traits, beyond being able to stick a knife in one or having one not be able to get damp.

And to weigh in my two cents on the realism issue. Almost every pair of shoes I've had has not lasted more than a few months before showing significant signs of wear and tear. I have to replace most pairs after six months, whether I like it or not. Holes where the sole attaches to the top is the most common cause for me, after that its the sole and tread wearing so thin that the shoe isn't really useful anymore. Threads rots or glue wears out. And that's when you get the massive holes. I don't know about other climates, but where I live (which is temperate) I'm almost certain to get wet socks if I have a hole in my shoe. Mainly during spring fall and winter. The rain (or melting snow) causes mud and puddles, which inevitably gets into my shoes, at some point or another.

Shoes degrading is definitely realistic, now we just need interesting consequences for them degrading.

• Like 2

That said from what I read here the speed of degradation is definitely unacceptable it should take much longer, 10-20 hours per shoe type I'd say since the game is going to be having shorter days that's going to equate to many, so I guess it's kind of fair.

Could it not be that if you run across rocky terrain your shoes get wrecked faster and fields etc they barely get wrecked at all? Mountain boots shouldn't be bothered by muddy fields, running shoes should get wrecked by them but allow the player to run faster.

I hope they develop it that far at least instead of the ground no matter what doing a constant amount of damage.

You saved me a post. This is exactly what I want out of this feature too. I suspect they will not go so far as 10 to 20 hours with normal wear and tear but they should - so that you wouldn't be expected to plan ahead and carry an extra pair around. They could make the spawn a little more rare as well IMO Edited by OrganGrinder

You saved me a post. This is exactly what I want out of this feature too. I suspect they will not go so far as 10 to 20 hours with normal wear and tear but they should - so that you wouldn't be expected to plan ahead and carry an extra pair around. They could make the spawn a little more rare as well IMO

I think somewhere between, say 6 and 12 game hours would be reasonable for your bog-standard freshspawn trainers to wear out form Piristine to Ruined, depending on how much abuse you give them. It'd be a bit more for running shoes, I'd expect, and significantly more for military-type boots.

But yeah, different footwear should eventually affect your movement speed, your foot condition and the amount of noise you make. That'd make sense, and would feel authentic to the scenario, plus add a level of depth to your decision-making in gameplay terms.

But they do also need to refine the health mechanics so that it's not possible to fall unconscious and die just because your feet are in bad nick.

• Like 2

I think somewhere between, say 6 and 12 game hours would be reasonable for your bog-standard freshspawn trainers to wear out form Piristine to Ruined, depending on how much abuse you give them. It'd be a bit more for running shoes, I'd expect, and significantly more for military-type boots.

OT: While military-type boots are pretty much built for durability, they aren't very comfortable and take a long time to break in, i'd take good hiking boots anytime, especially in former soviet country.

Also fresh spawn don't have to start with Pristine sneaker.

But they do also need to refine the health mechanics so that it's not possible to fall unconscious and die just because your feet are in bad nick.

^Yes.

This is why we need resting/sleeping when logging off to recover a bit of damage from sore feet and the most they should do is make you unable to walk. Which is just as fatal as knocking you unconscious since if you can't run from zombies, well, you dead son. Unless you've got plenty ammo.

• Like 1

You could just go play Left 4 Dead if this is what you want, you know?

This is not your normal Zombie-Game - it is a Survival-Game and the extra horror is created by the Infected lurking about. That shoes are going to degrade over time was already announced by rocket even before the Early Access was even available on Steam.

None of the points you are bringing forth is really suggesting that you want to play DayZ the way it's meant to be and even though you're claiming people want something else (which I doubt is the case with the actual DayZ-Fanboys) - I am very happy that Bohemia is producing this, as it will never go the way you want it to go.

I didn't really have anything to add to my post, which is why I am juswt going to quote this post, as it sums it up quite nicely.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 3

This is not your normal Zombie-Game - it is a Survival-Game and the extra horror is created by the Infected lurking about. That shoes are going to degrade over time was already announced by rocket even before the Early Access was even available on Steam.

None of the points you are bringing forth is really suggesting that you want to play DayZ the way it's meant to be and even though you're claiming people want something else (which I doubt is the case with the actual DayZ-Fanboys) - I am very happy that Bohemia is producing this, as it will never go the way you want it to go.

I didn't really have anything to add to my post, which is why I am juswt going to quote this post, as it sums it up quite nicely.

go play left4dead because its not what you want. well thanks for that. is that what happens whenever someone dissagrees with what is being done ? go play another game ? how about no ! i paid to play this game. i am giving input and i dont like shoes degrading. its as valid point.as valid as yours.

the thing is BI have our money. they can make whatever they want from the game now. im just hoping and stating my opinion so just because you already have our money you dont just put out any old shit cause you can.

thats the problem now they have the money anything can be done no matter what people think. it doesnt if the game bombs cause yep they got our money anyway.

so its win win for them regardless.

as for people suggesting hrs for shoes to degrade and then people saying realistic :rolleyes:

shoes do degrade but over a long period of time not ! hrs or few days.

You could just play minecraft if you want to play survival, you know ? minecraft has nearly everything you trying to put into dayz. Building ...durability on cloths... crafting and food etc

People bought this game to kill zombies ...shoot people and loot some main gear and survive along the way. THAT is what made the game popular not all this stuff the devs are adding in.

Edited by Massicor
  • Like 1

The next feature to be added with shoes is ...character shoe size id say....no doubt it will be here soon enough .such sillyness.

And along with this feature will be the spam messages .....

these shoes feel to small/big.

your feet hurt.

your feet stink.

your feet bleed.

your feet are infected.

your leg is infected.

you need to chop off your leg.

your penis has fell off.

Tbh im just waiting/hoping modders get full modding capability sooner rather than later because no doubt they will strip all this stuff away or change most of the variables to make the game the way it should have been made.

Edited by Massicor

You could just play minecraft if you want to play survival, you know ? minecraft has nearly everything you trying to put into dayz. Building ...durability on cloths... crafting and food etc

People bought this game to kill zombies ...shoot people and loot some main gear and survive along the way. THAT is what made the game popular not all this stuff the devs are adding in.

Actually, I heard of Day Z as that "survival game set in the Zombie Apocalypse", not as " that PvP game where people going around griefing, with some mildly-associated zombies and survival for flavor."

Again, speak for yourself, not the entire playerbase.

• Like 2

The next feature to be added with shoes is ...character shoe size id say....no doubt it will be here soon enough .such sillyness.

And along with this feature will be the spam messages .....

these shoes feel to small/big.

your feet hurt.

your feet stink.

your feet bleed.

your feet are infected.

your leg is infected.

you need to chop off your leg.

your penis has fell off.

Tbh im just waiting/hoping modders get full modding capability sooner rather than later because no doubt they will strip all this stuff away or change most of the variables to make the game the way it should have been made.

Uh, yeah? That would be the extreme end of what should occur, but yes, an infection is SERIOUS BUSINESS in a survival situation. Does......does that surprise you? Worst part is, in an actual survival situation, infected wounds are all but guaranteed to occur (happen to me all the time, especially on the legs, hands and feet [briar patches suck, coincidentally]). You literally cannot keep wounds sterile 24/7, and eventually they will be contaminated. And this is when you have Triple-A ointment, disinfectant wipes, and medical attention back home!

And no, the oral antibiotics currently in-game won't do jack shit to a "real" infection. You need IV-antibiotics, and actual medical attention. 

Actually, I heard of Day Z as that "survival game set in the Zombie Apocalypse", not as " that PvP game where people going around griefing, with some mildly-associated zombies and survival for flavor."

Again, speak for yourself, not the entire playerbase.

What you heard and what you got are 2 different things ....you heard it was a survival game set in the zombie apocalypse....what you got for the most part in the mod was a pvp game where people go around griefing, with some mildly-associated zombies and survival for flavor..... yet you continued to play it on what you where given not what you heard = thats what made the game popular. If people didn't like the game for what made it popular then they would have probably stopped playing as it was not the game they "heard" so yes i think regardless of what you say that's what the playerbase bought into and why the game continued to be so popular....they bought into the game itself at the time it was a mod and not what they "heard". Anyways you say "heard" but  i bet most people saw the gameplay for themselves from videos streams and watching friends play before they bought the game. So more likely that they did actually buy into the game knowing it was going to be pvp with people griefing more than the "survival game set in the zombie apocalypse" of what you say they "heard"

Edited by Massicor

Well then they're misinformed fools that's not the game was intended to be it's a survival experience with zombies PVP is just a thing it's the players that turned the game in to a bloodbath but that's not what the game is.

go play left4dead because its not what you want. well thanks for that. is that what happens whenever someone dissagrees with what is being done ? go play another game ? how about no ! i paid to play this game. i am giving input and i dont like shoes degrading. its as valid point.as valid as yours.

the thing is BI have our money. they can make whatever they want from the game now. im just hoping and stating my opinion so just because you already have our money you dont just put out any old shit cause you can.

thats the problem now they have the money anything can be done no matter what people think. it doesnt if the game bombs cause yep they got our money anyway.

so its win win for them regardless.

as for people suggesting hrs for shoes to degrade and then people saying realistic :rolleyes:

shoes do degrade but over a long period of time not ! hrs or few days.

Just because you paid for a game doesn't mean the devs should incorporate every one of your ideas in to it :thumbsup:

There's been plenty information about the game for it to be obvious what direction the game would take, I knew before I got it and never played the mod people who buy it thinking it's an open world CoD zombies game only have themselves to blame.

Why should they change the game just because a bunch of people didn't read what it's about?

I don't want my shoes to degrade in real life but they do, in fact I need to buy a pair soon or I'll be getting blisters.

This game is trying to imitate real life as best as it can. People who don't want that feature can suck it up and go play something else or just deal with it like everyone has been dealing with broken zombies, murderous ladders etc etc for a looong time.

• Like 2

Uh, yeah? That would be the extreme end of what should occur, but yes, an infection is SERIOUS BUSINESS in a survival situation. Does......does that surprise you? Worst part is, in an actual survival situation, infected wounds are all but guaranteed to occur (happen to me all the time, especially on the legs, hands and feet [briar patches suck, coincidentally]). You literally cannot keep wounds sterile 24/7, and eventually they will be contaminated. And this is when you have Triple-A ointment, disinfectant wipes, and medical attention back home!

And no, the oral antibiotics currently in-game won't do jack shit to a "real" infection. You need IV-antibiotics, and actual medical attention. 

Does it surprise me ? of course not that's why i said it :S But going that much in depth is just silly.

Does it surprise me ? of course not that's why i said it :S But going that much in depth is just silly.

It isn't "in depth". It is an essential part of survival.

And, I never played the mod. I literally "heard" about the game, and it was described as a survival game.

Edited by Whyherro123

It isn't "in depth". It is an essential part of survival.

And, I never played the mod. I literally "heard" about the game, and it was described as a survival game.

well then u didnt play the mod and you dont know what made it popular so again like i said its not what people "heard" that made the game popular it was "the game itself and how people played it " when it was a mod...if people did not like the game at that time then it would never have gotten popular ...and no its not "essential" to have this much indepth in a game.

Edited by Massicor

well then u didnt play the game and you dont know what made it popular ...and no its not essential in a game.

Not essential... in your opinion.

You seem to have problems getting this through your head: you don't represent the playerbase. Hell, you likely don't represent the majority of the playerbase!

In my opinion (and apparently, the opinion of some of the most veteran forum members), we want a survival game. Essential to that is diseases, infections, and degradation of equipment.

• Like 1

Well then they're misinformed fools that's not the game was intended to be it's a survival experience with zombies PVP is just a thing it's the players that turned the game in to a bloodbath but that's not what the game is.

Just because you paid for a game doesn't mean the devs should incorporate every one of your ideas in to it :thumbsup:

There's been plenty information about the game for it to be obvious what direction the game would take, I knew before I got it and never played the mod people who buy it thinking it's an open world CoD zombies game only have themselves to blame.

Why should they change the game just because a bunch of people didn't read what it's about?

I don't want my shoes to degrade in real life but they do, in fact I need to buy a pair soon or I'll be getting blisters.

This game is trying to imitate real life as best as it can. People who don't want that feature can suck it up and go play something else or just deal with it like everyone has been dealing with broken zombies, murderous ladders etc etc for a looong time.

HAHA WHAT ....that is and what the game has ALWAYS been so no they are not misinformed fools you would in fact be the misinformed one...and iv played the mod since its release and watched these forums for just as long. There was a very small window of time when the mod was released where it wasnt all pvp and bloodbath and that's because people where learning the game ...which only took a week or so and even in that week pvp and kos where still there to a large degree. Again its what made the game popular like i said above ..if people didn't like it then the mod would have died and we wouldn't even be talking about a standalone.

Edited by Massicor

HAHA WHAT ....that is and what the game has ALWAYS been ...and iv played the mod since its release and watched these forums for just as long. There was a very small window of time when the mod was released where it wasnt all pvp and bloodbath and thats because people where learning the game ...which only took a week or so and even in that week pvp and kos where still there to a large degree. Again its what made the game popular like i said above ..if people didnt like it then the mod would have died and we wouldnt even be talking about a standalone.

Again.

That is NOT what the game IS that's what MOST of the PLAYERS have decided it is and turned the player base in to.

Why the hell should they change the game to cater to people who aren't playing it as intended? They have plenty money from early access to not need to so they're probably not going to.

Which is great for those of us who want a genuine survival experience not a do anything and you get shot for no reason experience.

Would you kindly read:

"Welcome to the world of DayZ, hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few that have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population now infected with the disease. Go solo, team up with friends or take on the world, as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive."

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/

Does it say the focus is on PVP?

/argument