seifeler

Still no private shards available! Why?

With the latest status update, Bohemia announced to have given the proper tools to host private shards to the game server providers. 

After that, I got in contact with all of them. They say, they're ready, but are waiting for the "go!" by Bohemia. 

So, what's keeping them from launching private shards?

Does anyone know more about that?

Hey Kassander. There are obviously still problems with the persistence of items - those bugs prevent BI from forcing the persistence on all servers - i could imagine that they want to have this in place before they release private HIVEs - (persistence must be enabled to ensure that the new item distribution is working)

• Like 2

On the service side, the architecture has been completed to support and rent private shards of the central hive. We have updated our DayZ server rules for the public hive to reflect the differences between public hive and private shard servers - both of these rule sets can be viewed here:

Public Hive - Server Rules

Private Shard - Server Rules

Once our partner game server providers have completed the final touches on supporting the rental of these new server types in each of their systems, you will begin to see private shard servers show up in the in game server browser. - Brian Hicks / Producer

This is the most recent update http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213041-status-report-week-of-13-oct-14/ this combined with the listed information you gave from GSP's I would imgaine very soon. Be patient and remember everything runs in waves around here so check around a Weds with the GSP's. 

Regards,

Steak.

• Like 2

just rent a server and kick everyone who joins.  plenty of servers have been doing that with nobody stopping them.

just rent a server and kick everyone who joins.  plenty of servers have been doing that with nobody stopping them.

He is talking about HIVEs - this would restrict the access to that server but will not create magically a own HIVE out of it ;)

He is talking about HIVEs - this would restrict the access to that server but will not create magically a own HIVE out of it ;)

Shards, not hives. Private shard servers will still be connected to the public hive. This i.e. means that still the same rules for central loot economiy apply. There once was a good explanation of private shards, currently trying to find it.

EDIT:

It is important to understand what private shards entail for DayZ, and why they are different from "private hives" so well known from the Arma 2 mod.

Can:

• Password protect the server
  • Operate a white list (using BEC)
  • Ban/Kick trouble makers
  • Define and enforce server gameplay rules (eg: DayZRP, PvE only, etc)

Can not:

• Access or modify the base game configuration (amount of loot, amount of dynamic server events, vehicles (when they are implemented), etc)
  • Violate the naming convention declared in the hosting rules (these will be updated to reflect the new private shard capabilities)
  • Have access to the database itself
  • Operate any 3rd party “Admin tools” aside from the approved BEC (BattlEye Extended Controls)
  • Access debug logs (currently these are unavailable for both user privacy, and performance)
  • Exceed current maximum player limits per instance

Edited by ChainReactor

Shards, not hives. Private shard servers will still be connected to the public hive. This i.e. means that still the same rules for central loot economiy apply. There once was a good explanation of private shards, currently trying to find it.

EDIT:

You are totally right however there is no real "central loot economy" implemented as of today.

Important part here is that a Shard is a Server that got his own Character/Item Database. Like in a HIVE.

I can also have many Servers connected to this Shard. Like in a HIVE.

So what does the Public HIVE do? Pretty much nothing atm. There is no globally distributed loot. Every loot will spawn server side from what i know. Please correct me when this is wrong.

So what does the Public HIVE do? Pretty much nothing atm. There is no globally distributed loot. Every loot will spawn server side from what i know. Please correct me when this is wrong.

Centralized loot economy is in since 0.48 or 0.49 on persistance enabled servers.

Edited by ChainReactor

With the latest status update, Bohemia announced to have given the proper tools to host private shards to the game server providers. 

After that, I got in contact with all of them. They say, they're ready, but are waiting for the "go!" by Bohemia. 

Maybe they changed their mind? :P

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Maybe they changed their mind? :P

Well, I don't think so. Why should they let the GSPs implement the Private Shard Framework and then withdraw? 

Hey Kassander. There are obviously still problems with the persistence of items - those bugs prevent BI from forcing the persistence on all servers - i could imagine that they want to have this in place before they release private HIVEs - (persistence must be enabled to ensure that the new item distribution is working)

But this could be the problem. I only ask myself, why don't they let us know about this? Why is the information policy on Private Shards so confused and nebulous?

Centralized loot economy is in since 0.48 or 0.49 on persistance enabled servers.

Exactly that is the point. They do not force it.

Start reading the Status Reports and you would know they are coming at the end of the month when 0.50 is pushed to Stable. Reading is your friend!!!

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Poor noobshit kids wasting their money to play PvE. 

The whole fun of Dayz is the excitement of worrying about environment AND hostile players. I don't really KoS much ( have done it a few times) but KoS players make the game more exciting. I actually get nervous and scared of being ambushed or shot. You can't just run down the middle of the street and be only afraid of zombies. That's not Dayz PvE that's pussyZ. 

I prefer not to just kill people I run into. I like to explore and look forward to crafting and would like a bike. Just seems fun. That's my play style but the game just isn't the same when you are playing farmville with your 15 year old autistic friends.

w.e

P.S Shoutout to the KoS dudes and girls out there who make the game actual fun. 

Edited by kypkalorian

The whole fun of Dayz is the excitement of worrying about environment AND hostile players. I don't really KoS much ( have done it a few times) but KoS players make the game more exciting. I actually get nervous and scared of being ambushed or shot. You can't just run down the middle of the street and be only afraid of zombies. That's not Dayz PvE that's pussyZ.

I prefer not to just kill people I run into. I like to explore and look forward to crafting and would like a bike. Just seems fun. That's my play style but the game just isn't the same when you are playing farmville with your 15 year old autistic friends.

w.e

Yes this will probably happen, but you should be excited for private shards too. Imagine a group pvp shard, with players that are actually good at the game. Breaking the dayz community up is a good thing. The pve farmer really doesnt belong on the same server as the pvper that logs his kills in notepad.

• Like 1

This is a good way to lose your server and any money that you've paid.

• Like 1

I want private shards as soo n as posible. I want multiple characters, for different play styles.

Start reading the Status Reports and you would know they are coming at the end of the month when 0.50 is pushed to Stable. Reading is your friend!!!

I haven't read a hint about this in the status report. Hicks wrote: "Once our partner game server providers have completed the final touches on supporting the rental of these new server types in each of their systems, you will begin to see private shard servers show up in the in game server browser.", and not "Once we push 0.50 to stable you will begin to see...". Please enlighten me, dear friend-of-reading, where you found this information.

w.e

That's not true. On our (upcoming) private shard we allow KOS and I am sure it will be allowed on other servers too.

This is a good way to lose your server and any money that you've paid.

That's why we are waiting for the shards to appear. It's not an option to give-a-damn about the rules and just rent a public server.

I haven't read a hint about this in the status report. Hicks wrote: "Once our partner game server providers have completed the final touches on supporting the rental of these new server types in each of their systems, you will begin to see private shard servers show up in the in game server browser.", and not "Once we push 0.50 to stable you will begin to see...". Please enlighten me, dear friend-of-reading, where you found this information.

October 1st...

"Within weeks you will begin to be able to rent private shards of the central DayZ hive along with your DayZ server instance from your preferred game server provider."

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-29-sept-14

Edited by Weyland Yutani