dgeesio

vehicles in for christmas ? beta?

It's simple: vehicles that could add some sort of end game content aren't a priority.

New endgame will be growing tomatoes. It's not like people will grow one plant and never bother with it again.

why do people always just think of vehicles as transport ?

there is so much gameplay connected to them. maintaining them / getting them to work collecting parts. finding them , driving them . often groups will have them so you have to engage often in battles to get them . so many different aspects to the game and not just you drive round in them.

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 2

As for the one year quote- that means we should be into beta at just over a year,, we're still alpha, and we're sitll missing many important features.

Sounds fairly normal for game development. Not sure how much you know about it but only a year of development is nothing. Especially when they´re faced with having to make so many engine changes, this stops a lot of other things from being worked on as to not have to redo things later due to engine changes. It isn´t uncommon for games to take 3 to 4 years to develop, unless you rehash shit like CoD does(hence their yearly releases)

Beta in a year? that's so unlikely it's comical.

Im not sure i even want vehciles because If they introduce them, then they need to introduce ways to counter them, i.e. RPG's, IED's, anti-material rifles etc. If i wanted that kind of play experience, i'd just go play BF4

..Or you could just shoot the tires/driver out?

Those are only needed if they add armored vehicles like tanks and APCs, which i find somewhat unlikely.

Edited by Chompster

why do people always just think of vehicles as transport ?

there is so much gameplay connected to them. maintaining them / getting them to work collecting parts. finding them , driving them . often groups will have them so you have to engage often in battles to get them . so many different aspects to the game and not just you drive round in them.

Great for hoarding gear in too.....and as bait! Boom, headshot!

could have so easiley just chucked in a couple vechicles from arma 2 engine at release eg. mountain bike, motorbike, and jeep, and then WHEN the new vehicles were finished they would have simply swapped them over. Would have given us something to do over the past 12 months. Don't understand why this not the case.

Anyway, if everyone in the community spoke up a  bit more and urged them to hurry it might help, rather than everyone just accepting the alpha with no vehicles is going to last another 3-6 months?! you paid your money for the alpha, you are entitled to give feedback, my feedback is please add vechicles before christmas, the game is taking the piss now.

• This statement is untrue - While functionally it is possible to "just chuck old Arma 2 content in" - the implication on network and server performance, as well as complimentary functions within the title would have caused more trouble then such a task is worth
  • I'm not at all interested in appeasing the masses - Early Access for us is a chance to develop the title in tandem with real time user research, data analysis, and volume/stress testing. This is the purpose, and goal of our Early Access. To fine tune the title and experience throughout development.
  • Rallying folks to your cause to "hurry up" is not going to accomplish anything. We have been very transparent with our time tables, and development progress - This project will not be rushed, it will continue with the exact 2.5 to 3 year development cycle that has been repeatedly communicated.
  • You "paid your money" for access to development builds, and ownership of the released title at a reduced cost - the opportunity to participate in the development process through broad scope user research, and engagement with the development team through channels such as the forum. Not to get the features you want, when you insist on them.

If you feel the title is "taking the piss" that is entirely your right, I encourage you to take a break and come back at a time that the gameplay elements you desire have been implemented in the primary branch.

• Like 9

No, no i wouldnt be complaining, the A2 engine vechicles were fine and would have given people something to do.

And no, no it wouldnt take any time. the vehicles were in the engine when it launched. Take your own advice please,

And Im not bitching, hell no. Unlike some people, Im not going to sit here and Lick peoples arses.I give honest feedback and playing a running simulator for almsot a year is getting boring., especially as we have said they could have added things that were in the engine from A2., as this is indeed the A2 engine.

As for the one year quote- that means we should be into beta at just over a year,, we're still alpha, and we're sitll missing many important features.

What happened to your Quarter 1 , Quarter 2, Quarter 3 BS Roadmap that got said once and then completely forgot about?

What happened to the promised survival features?

Its been dragging on a deathmatch for one year almost, and the development HAS been delayed a lot from those Quarter goals and the initial goal of been into BETA at just over the one year mark. Not to mention, the game is full of hackers and BI don't give a sh*t as usual.

I think your chasing the wrong Rabbit Alice?

• Like 1

• You "paid your money" for access to development builds, and ownership of the released title at a reduced cost - the opportunity to participate in the development process through broad scope user research, and engagement with the development team through channels such as the forum. Not to get the features you want, when you insist on them.

Biran has spoken. Can we please make this the subtitle of the forum? Thanks.

Beans, Hicks.

• Like 1

is the bike the first vehicle ?

Can't tell if trolling or...

It's been stated and shown quite a few times already in the status reports that the V3S will be the first vehicle.

And no, no it wouldnt take any time. the vehicles were in the engine when it launched. Take your own advice please,

Well, the thing is, my opinions aren't uneducated. They are very well educated actually. Although they are mostly opinions nonetheless at this point.

As I already pointed out. We are not longer than a year into development It hasn't been a year since release and the quote does not mean that it should take just over a year. It means what it says. More than one year. That could very well be 4574100 years.

-snip-

Thanks for jumping in, Brian!

Edited by Accolyte
case of dumb

Accolate when did development start 2012? It was in development before Alpha even released... It has had over  1 year already. remember videos coming out pre alpha release saying how good standalone would be, how the melee and zombies were fixed and amazing... then it released.

Yes i can quite clearly read that it says may take longer than that and could be any number of years

What happened to the Quarter Goals? We're in quarter 4 of 2014 by the way.

to hicks thanks for replying personally, i have been taking a break from the game, each time i come to try it again I get killed by a hacker through a wall or floor.

To everyone in the thread don't get so defensive and quick to jump on someone whos asking a few difficult questions, i am only relaying what all my friends also feel, we are big fans of the game but its taking forever to get to a playable game...to be honest currently its a running simulator/death match with a lot of hackers

Edited by AgentNe0

Accolate when did development start 2012? It was in development before Alpha even released... It has had over  1 year already. remember videos coming out pre alpha release saying how good standalone would be, how the melee and zombies were fixed and amazing... then it released.

What are you even on about?

We estimate that reaching Beta version with all key features present will take more than one year from current stage

Pay close attention to the words in bold. That means more than one year from release. Not from whenever development started.

Take a chill pill. this is banter

I am quite chilled, but that doesn't have anything to do with this discussion does it? Please let's not degenerate this thread into discussion about who's mad.

Edited by Accolyte

Please sir, share some of your extensive knowledge of the game engine.

Really, do please.

/sarcasm

These threads always bring the armchair developers out of the wetworks. Tell me, do you know anything about scripting or the VR engine itself? I sure don't.

The vechicles from Arma 2 are already in the code.

What are you even on about?

the day  z standalone development started in August 2012 or there abouts. its been over 2 years developing it. Ok point taken (from this current stage over a year) but you still said 'development on the game has been less than a year' Clearly it has been longer than  that.

Finally no one commented or updated on those Quarter Goals that Rocket said, that have been reffered to many many times when people ask when additions are coming. I would have expected coming into Beta shortly after christmas to be honest I think majority of people were feeling the same. Anyway cheers

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/64335-dayz-standalone-confirmed/ (August 2012)

you still said 'development on the game has been less than a year'

Hmm.. I worded that wrong. My bad. I did just woke up when I wrote that post lol. What I meant that it it hasn't been a year since release.

• Like 1

The vechicles from Arma 2 are already in the code.

They are not "in the code". They were scripted models. They dont work while the dev's re-write engine code unless they re-write the configs with every engine update they release. This would be useless effort.

• Like 1

Can't tell if trolling or...

It's been stated and shown quite a few times already in the status reports that the V3S will be the first vehicle.

i asked a geniune question now its a troll ? how many times have bikes been mentioned as the probable first vehicle addition.

i havent seen V3S been mentioned as the first vehicle to be added thats why i asked.

• This statement is untrue - While functionally it is possible to "just chuck old Arma 2 content in" - the implication on network and server performance, as well as complimentary functions within the title would have caused more trouble then such a task is worth
  • I'm not at all interested in appeasing the masses - Early Access for us is a chance to develop the title in tandem with real time user research, data analysis, and volume/stress testing. This is the purpose, and goal of our Early Access. To fine tune the title and experience throughout development.
  • Rallying folks to your cause to "hurry up" is not going to accomplish anything. We have been very transparent with our time tables, and development progress - This project will not be rushed, it will continue with the exact 2.5 to 3 year development cycle that has been repeatedly communicated.

If you feel the title is "taking the piss" that is entirely your right, I encourage you to take a break and come back at a time that the gameplay elements you desire have been implemented in the primary branch.

^THIS^ Thanks Hicks_206. A rare sighting but well said. Now get back to work! Lol. 

I honestly don't understand the rush to get vehicles into the game.. Once you do all the work to finally get it operational, and somehow keep it safely stashed somewhere, the game will turn into a speedrunning simulator. You'll get bored, and complain to the devs that you want even more content. I'm perfectly content getting from point A to B on foot. It gives me time to appreciate the game, and how beautiful it really is. Slow down and enjoy everything, no need to rush all the time.

well how are we on vehicles ? is the beta still on track for december ?

as i understand and was said the beta would start around christmas/december time. if the beta is starting around december that means the core gameplay is in (vehicles)

how is this progressing ? is Dayz beta and vehicles still on time for December ?.

Around X-Mas time vehicles will be released, only one im pretty sure, a military transportation carrier type pickup im sure.

"Persistent storage stability, as well as transportation, and A.I. redesign are goals we aim to be able to begin implementing into our steam branches before the Christmas holiday."

From this week's blog post. In case anyone missed it.

i asked a geniune question now its a troll ? how many times have bikes been mentioned as the probable first vehicle addition.

i havent seen V3S been mentioned as the first vehicle to be added thats why i asked.

There have been at least 3 or 4 status reports where they talk about it, one of them even has an image of the V3S at the top! http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-22-sept-14 

It's been said on livestreams, interviews and dev forum comments, twitter, reddit posts, so how you (someone who seems fairly active around dayz) could have missed well known information like this is beyond me. But apparently you did.

Also there has NEVER been any mention of bikes being the first vehicle other than player speculation, and only because it seems like the most simple thing to implement.