Grundlesmuggler

I feel like I'm missing something....

I'm a fairly new player to standalone.  About 30+ hours.  I played the mod way back.  I get how to play the game but my friends don't play anymore because they don't like the gamestate a.k.a they don't like just death matching but they also hate travelling.  So I'm a lone wolf.  I don't mind playing this way but I feel like I'm missing out on some cool stuff not playing with a group which tbh is what I prefer more.

I always see multiple clans in servers I join but they are all terrible at recruiting, or just don't look for new members.  

Thus I feel I learn less about the game.  For example:  My helicopter run route seems ridiculously inefficient.  It's next to impossible to get anyone to saline you, or help draw your blood/draw theirs, and in parallel help by giving you blood.  Along the same lines it seems that trading is pretty much remedial between fresh spawns or done on the forums.

Can anyone shed light if you started out as a lone wolf and now play with people you've met?  How'd you get it done?  

basically, i take a huge risk if i dont feel like killing someone i find by:

- approaching with my weapons put away

- using voice chat

believe it or not it works more often than you'd think. 

I'm a fairly new player to standalone.  About 30+ hours.  I played the mod way back.  I get how to play the game but my friends don't play anymore because they don't like the gamestate a.k.a they don't like just death matching but they also hate travelling.  So I'm a lone wolf.  I don't mind playing this way but I feel like I'm missing out on some cool stuff not playing with a group which tbh is what I prefer more.

I always see multiple clans in servers I join but they are all terrible at recruiting, or just don't look for new members.  

Thus I feel I learn less about the game.  For example:  My helicopter run route seems ridiculously inefficient.  It's next to impossible to get anyone to saline you, or help draw your blood/draw theirs, and in parallel help by giving you blood.  Along the same lines it seems that trading is pretty much remedial between fresh spawns or done on the forums.

Can anyone shed light if you started out as a lone wolf and now play with people you've met?  How'd you get it done?  

Well your main issue is expecting help from anyone, learn to survive on your own first and then these items will just become a bonus rather then anything reliable, my group barely ever carries salines around anymore tbh. I started off as a lone wolf myself having never played the mod so never met anyone prior interested in the game and i must say i had trouble finding a group for quite a while so you will get there.

Edited by anotherdeadhero

I lonewolfed for hundreds of hours before getting into a clan. The clan didn't last but I still play with one or two of the people I met through it. It's much better playing with one or two others imo. Any more than 4 in a group and communication suffers imo.

I joined some group on steam then played with them a few times, added people as friends then that was it. Join lots of groups. Most of them won't last but you'll make friends.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 2

In the current state of the game you don't really need saline or blood bags. It's much easier just to keep up the healthy status by eating and drinking, because food loot is everywhere.

• Like 1

Well your main issue is expecting help from anyone, learn to survive on your own first and then these items will just become a bonus rather then anything reliable, my group barely ever carries salines around anymore tbh. I started off as a lone wolf myself having never played the mod so never met anyone prior interested in the game and i must say i had trouble finding a group for quite a while so you will get there.

I should have been more clear I think, my bad.  I do expect help from others.  That isn't an issue.  If you approach someone and say.  Yo I have stuff I'll give you can you help me?  That's not detrimental to surviving on your own.  In the situation I was describing I had the saline and I offered food/ammo to a relatively fresh spawn for help.  No dice.  I had the blood bags and offered a weapon and some supplies to someone for help.  No dice.

Surviving on your own in this game is easy.  I'm talking about experiencing a side of the game that isn't available to someone who is lone wolfing all the time.  

It sounds like I just need to make more of an effort to group up, even if every attempt is met with hostile action.

In the current state of the game you don't really need saline or blood bags. It's much easier just to keep up the healthy status by eating and drinking, because food loot is everywhere.

Correct.  But in a situation where you get shot and healthy status takes time to come back while you might be low on blood I carry a couple anyway.  I don't know how long it takes you to get back to healthy status after you've taken 2 shots but you can still be low on blood for a pretty decent amount of time while being light green energized and hydrated and not be healthy after a gunfight.  Not to mention I carry them in case someone else would need help.  

I lonewolfed for hundreds of hours before getting into a clan. The clan didn't last but I still play with one or two of the people I met through it. It's much better playing with one or two others imo. Any more than 4 in a group and communication suffers imo.

I joined some group on steam then played with them a few times, added people as friends then that was it. Join lots of groups. Most of them won't last but you'll make friends.

I see your point.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to make more of an effort I think.

Edited by Grundlesmuggler

basically, i take a huge risk if i dont feel like killing someone i find by:

- approaching with my weapons put away

- using voice chat

believe it or not it works more often than you'd think.

This ^^ all my real life friends won't play dayz either (like the OP has stated , because they think it's a walking simulator lol) and so I've been lone wolfing for 800+ hours (and have found 10 friends I now play on steam with) , it gets easier when you learn to communicate like said above.. but also if you feel threatened by newly found members just ditch them because communicating is great as it gets many friendlies to come together but sometimes you find the backstabbers (and also very bad partners lol ) who either leave you when things are getting rough or who kill you when you find an akm they've been looking for :0 !

So Long story short go out on a limb and try communicating to a bunch of people , some will respond with KOS and others will want to communicate back :) just make sure you have the drop on them ..

I should have been more clear I think, my bad.  I do expect help from others.  That isn't an issue.  If you approach someone and say.  Yo I have stuff I'll give you can you help me?  That's not detrimental to surviving on your own.  In the situation I was describing I had the saline and I offered food/ammo to a relatively fresh spawn for help.  No dice.  I had the blood bags and offered a weapon and some supplies to someone for help.  No dice.

Surviving on your own in this game is easy.  I'm talking about experiencing a side of the game that isn't available to someone who is lone wolfing all the time.  

It sounds like I just need to make more of an effort to group up, even if every attempt is met with hostile action.

No you did make yourself clear i was just saying that basically you should not expect any help from anyone in the games current state as survival is not the core part of the game yet, that does not mean you wont accept or receive help from anyone, there are tons of friendly people out there. But what i mean is if you don't already know the person and they are not a steam friend i find and i am sure you will, it is very difficult to trust most people as they are not friendly and most are opportunists and hostile and are probably already grouped up, if you are not fully prepared to kill the random person you have met and are not always on your guard they will probably betray you before that friendship blossoms.

For example i have two recent friends on steam now, one that i play with every time i am on and we both had a laugh about how we were both waiting for the right opportunity to come along to kill the other but we kept getting shot at by other people which just kind of kept us preoccupied. Before i went to log out i asked for his steam and it just grew from there. Making true friends in dayz is hard to do which is why i gave beans to freethink, as he said big groups are normally reduced to a core 3 or 4 people at most. It will take time and you will find that most will be hostile but every once in while you will find someone and you will both just click

Edit : I personally find surviving on my own a lot harder then surviving with others, three guns are better then one, three pairs of eyes are better then one etc... But your last sentence sums it up pretty much you just have to keep trying until you actually find someone who is also looking to partner up or visit the clan page here if big groups is your kind of thing.

Edited by anotherdeadhero
  • Like 2

You can always check the recruitment area of the forum. Some groups only look at certain times, while others will recruit anyone who has interest as long as they can show they aren't a nitwit and prove not to turn on the others. The group I head is always open to new players interested, but because of our focused goals, it isn't for everyone. Walking up to random people is usually a huge risk and often only marginal gains. I've met three people so far that I kept as regular people to interact with from those I met at random. Most of the rest I have offered exchanges and then parted ways as safely as I could manage.

Correct.  But in a situation where you get shot and healthy status takes time to come back while you might be low on blood I carry a couple anyway.  I don't know how long it takes you to get back to healthy status after you've taken 2 shots but you can still be low on blood for a pretty decent amount of time while being light green energized and hydrated and not be healthy after a gunfight.  Not to mention I carry them in case someone else would need help.  

I see your point.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to make more of an effort I think.

If you are uk/euro based english speaker...gimme a shout. I'll add anyone but I'm not going to pester anyone to play - if I'm playing then pm, join the same server and have an adventure. You must have a headset though. Nothing I hate more than that echo of my own voice when playing with someone using their inbuilt speakers/mic.

Same goes for any english speaking euros. Gimme a shout. You'd probably want to be 20+ though or at least not a squeaker. (Nothing against them as people but the sound of them is bit grating when you are playing for hours.)

What I found with lone wolfing was it was easy to survive/get geared up but there's no social aspect to it and if you come up against more than one player that's normally the end. Also when you are lonewolfing you never get to avenge your fallen comrades. That's one of the best things with being in a group.

I currently play with two of my real world friends. One is actually a SWAT team member, and the other is in the military with me.

It's pretty nice because we all have a good mindset for tactics, but the trouble is getting everyone online at the same time.

I have plans to start a tactical clan. Be the police team of DayZ. You have bandit issues? Need rescued? Humanitarian aid?

Jump on our team-speak, give us some intel, we respond.

This of course is impossible at the moment but hey, I'll make it happen eventually. [The Unit]

EDIT**

This would be for DayZ glory. Kind of makes the game more fun when you have more of a purpose than just surviving..

Edited by StarLord