yazar8

So everyone is right handed?

The SKS ejects vertically and the charging handle is far enough forward it shouldn't interfere with your face the safety might be awkward though.

A lefty could correct me if I' wrong but I believe most autos and semi autos eject shells far enough forward that your face shouldn't be in the way?

My experience is limited but only 1 of the 5 firearms I've ever used caused me to be burned in the process of ejection and that was a .22 rifle and I believe it was semi auto.

The cartridge ejected near my right forearm and it left really tiny burns almost invisible to the naked eye but hurt just enough to be an issue.

A .45 Kimber, no problem.

A pump action shotgun, also no problem.

A couple other semi auto .22 rifles were also no problem.

Googling "what firearms are best for lefties" came up with a few interesting points. https://www.google.com/search?q=what+firearms+are+best+for+lefties&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=fs&trackid=sp-006&gws_rd=ssl

Mag release levers can be a problem for handguns apparently and ambi designs are available.

Sheesh, I thought burning my arm sucked....

RE: shotguns, "Left-handed shooters shouldn’t have to work a shotgun safety by rolling the gun to the side and pushing the button with our thumbs, though. We also don’t want to put up with a shell ejecting across our line of sight. There’s nothing like a little burnt powder in the eyes...."

As far as long guns are concerned, there's even a lefty AUG out there. :)

My experience is limited but only 1 of the 5 firearms I've ever used caused me to be burned in the process of ejection and that was a .22 rifle and I believe it was semi auto.

The cartridge ejected near my right forearm and it left really tiny burns almost invisible to the naked eye but hurt just enough to be an issue.

A .45 Kimber, no problem.

A pump action shotgun, also no problem.

A couple other semi auto .22 rifles were also no problem.

Googling "what firearms are best for lefties" came up with a few interesting points. https://www.google.com/search?q=what+firearms+are+best+for+lefties&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=fs&trackid=sp-006&gws_rd=ssl

Mag release levers can be a problem for handguns apparently and ambi designs are available.

Sheesh, I thought burning my arm sucked....

RE: shotguns, "Left-handed shooters shouldn’t have to work a shotgun safety by rolling the gun to the side and pushing the button with our thumbs, though. We also don’t want to put up with a shell ejecting across our line of sight. There’s nothing like a little burnt powder in the eyes...."

As far as long guns are concerned, there's even a lefty AUG out there. :)

The USA and the Brit army are both keen to have everyone shoot Right Handed - but if you check the mil and firearm blogs there's discussion about this, Left Hand soldiers say they maybe have to shoot RH on the firing range (depends on the Sergeant - e.g; if they are high scorers he lets them do how they like, and just "doesn't notice" )

Some automatic weapons used by the USA mil, if they need it can be fitted with a deflector so you don't get hot casings in your face firing Left Handed.

Reading those mil blogs, it seems that even if "official" is Right Hand - that sometimes even "official" turns a blind eye, and anyway, when you NEEd to you shoot the best way you can - NOBODY is going to complain

did you see my post higher up with the link to the dude (masked) who explains in detail why AK 47 is even better for left-handers than right-handers? WORTH WATCHING - He goes through a whole series of points, like changing the mag when you are lying flat as possible - a real in-action hand advantage.

One thing I'm not sure on, is which automatic weapon US military will fit a deflector to? I have read this can be done for a current infantry weapon USA Army "if requested" - but why,  if they are keen that squaddies shoot right-handed ?

Mainly it's not necessary IMO,

[ed:] but if an automatic weapon design requires RH shooting, because the ejection is unavoidably BAD NEWS for Left Handers, then .. hmm - why not include that in DayZ too? So most guns can be fired either way, but one common assault rifle MUST only be fired RH (no option)? ..  Or (if you have an option like the other weapons) you fire it left handed and loose accuracy, or take some health damagez ?

But my dad, from his 2nd War Africa days, told me he refused a Sten Gun (they had only 2 in his Signals unit and the officer wanted the other) because the Sten bolt spring is in an open slot on the side. So if you grip it wrong when your'e excited it will take your thumb off.  It's not what you want in a sudden firefight.

On the mil discussion threads (there are plenty) a number of folk DO complain about getting a face full of hot casings from a standard USA automatic weapon - so it happens, AND the guys complaining are obviously shooting left handed at the time..  I searched "left handed shooting" "automatic weapon left handed" etc... mainly the interesting stuff on this turns up in blogs, more than youtube (maybe serving and ex soldiers do less tube than civilian gun-fans?)

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

-snip-

did you see my post higher up with the link to the dude (masked) who explains in detail why AK 47 is even better for left handers than right handers? He goes through a whole series of points, like changing the mag when you are lying flat as possible - a real in-aleft hand advantage - and other

I don't click every link in posts but thank you for adding that, quite interesting to note as well....

But BioHaze - your multi-button mouse held under the left hand, I can NOT deal with - it's when I move the damn thing, and definitely when I'm excited, I press the buttons just with the movement, can't avoid it. You must be a highly evolved cool killer type.

For me it's a standard mouse under the left hand. To make sure I know what's going to happen when war breaks out.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

there is not a lot of rifle made only for lefty ,and when there are , its not a production weapon ,more like custom made !!! so if they put the bench,tool and ect, maybe it will be possible to make your own weapon...!!!

The SKS ejects vertically and the charging handle is far enough forward it shouldn't interfere with your face the safety might be awkward though.

A lefty could correct me if I' wrong but I believe most autos and semi autos eject shells far enough forward that your face shouldn't be in the way?

I love that my vz58 and SKS eject straight up.

I'd like to get a T97 but after checking in person at one of the local gun stores the ejection port would be about an inch away from my face. Too close for me.

• Like 1

Players should have a chance to spawn left handed or right handed just like blood groups.

Lefty versions of weapons should be introduced to the game and spawn as well.

It would be cool if this was possible, real survivors out there will really try to survive as a lefty, I mean yeah people will suicide but trust me some won't, for the challenge and also the real lefties won't suicide for a righty char.

• Like 1

Dont need left-handed weapons, we need left handed tunes. If you came late to the thread, please check out the very short vid, it's up the thread https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212464-so-everyone-is-right-handed/page-2#entry2302711 Same weapon, just hold it in a different hand.

But - hey

ONE thing that would improve the game as it is right now, is better melee .. so think about this:

Everyone complains melee is too simple - that's true,

standard melee is like this:

If you are swinging a spade (or whatever) at the other guy, and he is swinging back at you - both right handed,  you move to your right to get away from his swing and to swing again - you want him in front and right of you. He wants the same, he does the same.

So you both go round in circles anti-clockwise, meaning circling to your left - both of you going round the circle the same way.

Sure - you can run in and out and zigzag etc, but the bottom line is: In melee you are circling each other, both in the same direction, you hit and you move right to avoid his hit, and to hit him again on his 'blindside' . So you're both going round in that circle.

If there was one lefty in this fight, he would be swinging left handed and moving the opposite way round the circle.He wants to go clockwise - So a left guy and a right guy, can't just circle each other, They can both gig around all over etc... but the basic standard melee method does not work any more.

So if you run in as usual ready to hit the dude, you get a strike to your head from a direction that is imossible ATM. You didn't expect THAT (heh) . Meaning - you have to check the other guy out first. And then figure how to deal with him, which way does he swing ?.. this is more dangerous

If you could choose (at spawn) to be Left or right - Straight off  that puts melee one whole grade better than it is now.

In DayZ this LH-RH melee would make any situation more interesting, - in doorways, in corridors, on stairs, around corners, unexpected face-to-face... because suddenly how the other guy will hit you is NOT obvious any more - and you don't know even IF he can hit you, you just cant tell right off..

Thats all folks.

EDIT: for historical fans:

If you're interested in History, because melee has been a big historic thing for a LONG time, right?  - Did you ever notice spiral staricases in castles? either real or in videos, whatever?

Looking down from the top - they always circle LEFT as they go down..

Why? Because a right handed defender has his right arm free to strike down at enemies coming up that spiral, but a right hander coming up has his right hand stuck against the center support of the stair, so he can't swing his sword much at all. That's exactly what those spiral staircases are for, they always turn LEFT loooking down.

EXCEPT ONE castle - famous place where the family owners were Left Handers, father to son .. Their spiral stairs turn RIGHT looking down, so the defender family-dude can strike down freely and not have his sword-hand trapped. I won't tell ya which castle (heh), it's historic and documented, you can check it out if you're into melee weapons or middle-ages fighting.

And natch, if you're a Left-hander fighting melee-weapons UP a normal castle spiral stair against a defender, you have a big advantage over a right hand attacker, because YOU CAN swing ya sword.

Dudes - this diffence in fighting stance and strike-direction is REAL and always makes a big diffence.

So many times in history a really good right hander has walked into a left hander unexpectedly, and he has gone DOWN.

pps - I'd tell yo how the Roman Legion front rank, pulled a sword-strike stunt to win battles, but it's long to explain. Each man just ignored the enemy in front of him, but he watched the enemy attacking his next buddy to the right, then stabbed him in the armpit when he lifted his sword arm. got it?  Same principle - the hit comes from the wrong side and the dude goes down. Neat.

xx

Edited by pilgrim