SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Ive found tons of loot round there until I decided to run of the top of a bulding and died :(

The only part of the map I haven't seen in 0.50 is the western edge (Kamenka -> Pavlovo -> Zelenogorsk -> NWAF). I can imagine that part of the map is relatively abundant with loot given how difficult (aka impossible) it is for most people to make it that far. Even areas like Novy & Stary Sobor were relatively flush with loot the other night when I visited. Not overflowing, but plentiful.

Actually the west coast its better for finding gears. Nwaf has damaged boots, random guns, and backpacks, but not sure if it was looted or not. I've been running from town to town on the west coast with some luck, but still have to kill some wildlife to survive.

My first character in 0.50 also lived for several days, until he suddenly dropped dead for unknown reasons. I was looking at a can of cola in a house and next thing "You are dead". I am sure I could have survived with him indefinetely as well, since he had the full survival package for surviving in the wild (axe, knife, matches, gun + ammo).

With the rest of my exp characters it became increasingly difficult to stay alive for longer periods, because the spawn areas and their immediate surroundings had all been picked clean, so it would have had to be sheer luck for me to find the places in the surroundings where the food loot had respawned in order to stay alive long enough to get out of the spawn areas and to the places with relatively intact loot.

• Like 1

My first character in 0.50 also lived for several days, until he suddenly dropped dead for unknown reasons. I was looking at a can of cola in a house and next thing "You are dead". I am sure I could have survived with him indefinetely as well, since he had the full survival package for surviving in the wild (axe, knife, matches, gun + ammo).

With the rest of my exp characters it became increasingly difficult to stay alive for longer periods, because the spawn areas and their immediate surroundings had all been picked clean, so it would have had to be sheer luck for me to find the places in the surroundings where the food loot had respawned in order to stay alive long enough to get out of the spawn areas and to the places with relatively intact loot.

This is one reason I didn't play yesterday. I'm convinced I'm going to hit a streak of bad luck and all my hard work in 0.50 is going to go down the drain, leaving me to flail in the rough waters like everyone else (and like myself at the start).

Any patch inboud for this maybe to hardcore expe version? 

Perhaps tomorrow. Minor updates to Experimental usually happen on "maintenance day" (Wednesday) or the end of the week (Friday) before the devs go home for the weekend.

Edited by Tatanko

So the walking/control bug, starvation rates and freezing will not get fixed, is this what you are saying? Are you saying we should not even bother filing bug reports because the devs don't read/use them?  Why are you here then? 

I am pretty sure that on stable my character will not dehydrate and die after a few kilometers of travel nearly as quickly as he has on experimental.  That certainly is not a function of "population" or "loot scarcity", no matter what you may say. 

I said that the loot scarcity is probably not a bug. The hydration and nutrition issues are probably a test of some sort, and I doubt they'll go to stable in their current form. You can file all the bug reports you want, but unless you're one of the very few people who knows how to file a usable, professional bug report, you're probably just pissing in the wind.

There is defenitely some problems with loot in some servers. I was in that town to the west of NWAF and all I found within ALL the single buildings, houses and shelters was a potatoe and a tomatoe (food). Before that I was in a server that literally had nothing in the town, but in a town before there were LOTS and LOTS of things in each building.

I guess it's now more luck dependant. Since most of experimentals are empty I don't know what would happen on a full server where people loots constantly, however I did notice some problems. You lose your energy and hydratation faster than your stuffed status. There is no way unless you're incredibly lucky to find everything since the minute 0 to be fully energized and hydrated without getting into very red stuffed.

I also highly doubt that you could be hungry and stuffed at the same time (unless you of course drank a lot) but this was not my case. I ate everything I could find, reached dark green energized and hydrated, while dark red stuffed and after running to a town I was once again hungry, thirsty and stuffed. Maybe there should be some tweaks regarding this, you should bring out a new sort of energizing system... there's no way you can get hungry 20 mins after eating two cans of something, even if you spent those 20 minutes fully sprinting towards a town.

I finally died after surviving a lot of sickness. Had to eat raw meat because I did not find anything at all, and forget about finding charcoal tabs, you must be very very lucky with the current loot spawn rates, reminded me of the Mod's antibiotics.

Overall I see great potential, but it shouldn't be that restrictive and specific to survive. It went from super easy to super hard, and I really hope they keep on with this system but only tweak it a bit to make a half term or something.

I guess it's now more luck dependant. Since most of experimentals are empty I don't know what would happen on a full server where people loots constantly, however I did notice some problems. You lose your energy and hydratation faster than your stuffed status. There is no way unless you're incredibly lucky to find everything since the minute 0 to be fully energized and hydrated without getting into very red stuffed.

The rate at which you gain room in your stomach (become not stuffed) is probably always the same. However the rate at which you use calories and hydration is not. We know for a fact that being still and moving have two different rates of calorie/hydration loss and there's a suspicion that level of movement may increase the rate of loss of calories/hydration more with this build. What this means is that one strategy to energize is simply to chill out for a while somewhere safe and slowly take in food to never get too full while spending minimal calories. If you're sprinting all the time then it's probably true that you are losing energy faster than the rate at which you gain stomach room.

Edited by Ebrim

Yes.  The new rule is that you can't run, unless you have no weapons and are being chased by zombies.  The occasional sprint won't kill you, but you have to walk most of the time.  Which means it is a long, boring walk between towns.  The temptation to run when you are getting close to starving and you can see buildings ahead of you can be intense! :D

I hope the new boring aspect of travel between towns doesn't convince people to server hop.

Z

• Like 1

Yes.  The new rule is that you can't run, unless you have no weapons and are being chased by zombies.  The occasional sprint won't kill you, but you have to walk most of the time.  Which means it is a long, boring walk between towns.  The temptation to run when you are getting close to starving and you can see buildings ahead of you can be intense! :D

I hope the new boring aspect of travel between towns doesn't convince people to server hop.

Z

I'd Imagine, though I'm not sure, that there's a fairly large difference in consumption between sprinting and jogging. I don't think it's really necessary to walk everywhere.

• Like 1

SO after playing exp for a couple days. With the loots in the starting areas seems like its bugged. Idk i couldnt find anything when i spawned in solnichniy so i died eventually. Next spawn was the factor above solnichniy. Ran into the small garage shed thingys. Their was a shit on of loot. Went to the Health care center same thing, a shit ton of loot. Went up to the farm building, The Brown wooded large barn thingy, had 9 rifles in it, sks, 22, cr527, axes, ect. Ive never seen that much loot spawn in on certain building. The entire factor seemed bugged with loot. While other places had nothing, this place seemed to have all the missing loot. Even found an improvised backpacks, the small and large one, so those are craftable backpacks. That were in a building. So something is messed up atm in areas.

as i worked my way west. From solnichniy. It wasnt till i reached stary that i found food or noticed a more normal loot spawn. When i got to Rogovo/ pogorevka. Seemed to have food around there. then when i went Pustoshka the loot seemed normal there. I actually was finding cans of food. So the initial spawns are hard to survive with loot being weird.

It was by far the most fun i had in Dayz trying to survive. I think with how quick the hunger and thirst are, would be fine if the fresh spawn areas werent funky with loot.  It would be a good experience. I think they need to fix the loot spawns in the starting areas so we can get a good judge on how it will be to survive with the current hunger/thirst system, survival really is based off atm if you get lucky and find a can of food. or if not spend 30-1r searching for apples lol.

After i got geared it was easier(axe,knife,gun,food, found sodas but no water bottles or canteens), Well after i found more cans of food, its easier to manage. But i had fun trying to not starve lol, i like where this is going. It should be difficult to survive, well see once the starting areas loots are corrected.

The new rule is that you can't run, unless you have no weapons and are being chased by zombies.

I'd Imagine, though I'm not sure, that there's a fairly large difference in consumption between sprinting and jogging. I don't think it's really necessary to walk everywhere.

Agreed. I've done nothing but sprint everywhere on 0.50, same as I always have, and I've been just fine. Yes, it's difficult, but so what? 0.50 is just difficult -- period. Why spend all my time walking, too? :p

I tend to jog most places, though I'll walk around in houses and sometimes in towns. I'll sprint if I have to though and sometimes I'll use sprinting in 0.50 as a "get warm" tool or just to get somewhere quickly if I know I have plenty of food.

• Like 2

That is correct.  If you plan a little in advance and know your next destination you should be fine assuming you're not already dying of something.  I'm carrying two canteens at all times now, something I used to do early on in the game (boyscout mentality) before learning the map in better detail.  The key is actually having a "thought" before sprinting in some unknown direction with unknown expectations of what you may or may not find.  That, in my personal opinion, is the brilliance in some of the game aspects of DAYZ, planned or not.  Now mind you this does not help a bit if you're a newbie or fresh spawn.  Knowledge / experience of course will help, but luck of the draw is something I hope we continue to have to deal with.

It's funny reading through people acting like it's going to stay this way. Being able to survive or not is not really the issue with this build. The real issue here is that people don't die of starvation in an hour, nor do they encounter the threat of dying from starvation from hour to the next. It's immersion breaking, for me at least.

I have been trying to get an ashwood stick for the longest time, but every time I chop down an ashwood tree, it only drops firewood, no ashwood stick and I have chopped down dozens! Trying to find one for a fishing rod.

Has anyone had any luck from chopping down an ashwood tree??
Thanks

P.S. Yes, I am positive I am chopping down ashwood trees. This one: http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Ashwood_Tree

It's funny reading through people acting like it's going to stay this way. Being able to survive or not is not really the issue with this build. The real issue here is that people don't die of starvation in an hour, nor do they encounter the threat of dying from starvation from hour to the next. It's immersion breaking, for me at least.

As you said yourself , it's not going to stay that way .. I'm sure the devs are working on the next patch as we speak for .50 and well have a much more enjoyable experience when it does come ..

As for now I switched back to stable so I can have more encounters with people , for some reason I couldn't find anyone in experimental :( !

I have been trying to get an ashwood stick for the longest time, but every time I chop down an ashwood tree, it only drops firewood, no ashwood stick and I have chopped down dozens! Trying to find one for a fishing rod.

Thanks

P.S. Yes, I am positive I am chopping down ashwood trees. This one: http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Ashwood_Tree

I haven't chopped down an ashwood tree in this 0.50 so I cant say if it's bugged or not, but that is the smaller version of the ashwood tree and it looks *somewhat* like another (non ashwood) tree in the game.

The other type of ashwood tree looks like this: 

5dO2Msw.jpg

Edited by solodude23

I haven't chopped down an ashwood tree in this 0.50 so I cant say if it's bugged or not, but that is the smaller version of the ashwood tree and it looks *somewhat* like another (non ashwood) tree in the game.

5dO2Msw.jpg

Ok, thank you I'll find one of those variants and give it a chop :)

Appreciate the advice.

So interesting on how we each play this game... for me, when I can't find anyone = :)

Now mind you that I prefer single player campaigns with a good back story.  Here however, I get neither, and those few "good" encounters I have really makes the game imho.

As you said yourself , it's not going to stay that way .. I'm sure the devs are working on the next patch as we speak for .50 and well have a much more enjoyable experience when it does come ..

As for now I switched back to stable so I can have more encounters with people , for some reason I couldn't find anyone in experimental :( !

• Like 1

Thanks

I've chopped down the smaller ones and gotten an Ashwood Stick in 0.50. I did so in Elektrozavodsk to make a fishing pole.

Huh. I honestly didn't know that. I learned something!

Dreams do come true:

2SVTy8v.jpg

I'm now at ~11 hours of playtime with this character. Check out my inventory (and there's more food inside the vest and the tactical shirt  :o)

http://i.imgur.com/dHN1jeA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jjUhW82.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yUq0GY6.jpg

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

I said that the loot scarcity is probably not a bug. The hydration and nutrition issues are probably a test of some sort, and I doubt they'll go to stable in their current form. You can file all the bug reports you want, but unless you're one of the very few people who knows how to file a usable, professional bug report, you're probably just pissing in the wind.

Thanks for clarifying, I agree about loot scarcity, but I haven't been complaining about that anyway.  I do think that my bug reports are pretty clear, I include as much detail as possible and pictures as appropriate.  It's like trouble shooting radio coms, you have to make sure everything is connected properly and that everything that is connected is also working properly.  Switching out components is sometimes the only way to get things fixed.

Edited by Barnabus

So interesting on how we each play this game... for me, when I can't find anyone = :)

Now mind you that I prefer single player campaigns with a good back story. Here however, I get neither, and those few "good" encounters I have really makes the game imho.

Yes I used to love the whole campaign deal til dayz sucked me into the "play your way" type genre haha ... It's been a while since I've "beaten" a game for that same reason , I think it was castlevania symphony of the night when I re bought it on xbox live ... I'm getting side tracked lol can't wait to see what maintenance brings tonight , maybe something besides maintenance ?? ;)

Last guy starved to death, respawned just north of Sevtlo, went down to the nearest broken down Zil truck, nothing there, but the UAZ that is just down the hill from there had a Damaged Fire Axe and Pristine Wellies, I snatched those up and headed north to the small village that used to have a jail.  Found plenty of food & sodas/beers so far (so it is definitely spawning) but not one bottle of water or canteen and have just now made my way into Novo.  Actually exchanged my badly damaged fire axe (chopping up trees eats fire axes quick, it is also my primary can opener since I have yet to find one of those) for a pristine one I found in a small shed, that was lucky.  Now I need some paint for the axe and a frigging sewing kit to mend my pants.  Had to make three fires to warm up, which seems excessive, the server I am on has been raining off and on the whole time.  Can't wait to see that Big Red Ball again.

I know that maintenance is gonna happen to the stable servers pretty soon, so I figure the exp servers are gonna get raped, I have plenty of food in my pack so I am not too worried.  Just wish I had been able to make it to the clock tower before log out.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1