Sign in to follow this  
TwinSpire

Any point of 2 drum mags?

Found my first drum mag...

Had 3x  30 round mags... emptied them and got rid of 2.

My assumption is with 75 rounds, no need to reload in 90% of fights or in prolonged fight probably would have time to just feed the drum more rounds.  I am keeping a mag in a protector case just for damage back up.

I have never had a gun/mag get ruined when in hands or slung on shoulder, so I figure risk of damage is pretty low and the capacity means I can do without other mags.

Am I missing anything?  I don't look for fights, I generally will avoid them if I can.

if i run around with an AKM, i tend to hold on to 2x 75 round drum mags and no 30 round mags because i have lost more 75 round drum mags to random crap like accidentally reloading a 30 round mag and not having room for the 75 round drum or the backpack doing a reshuffling upon log in. 

personally id hold on to 2. but if you need room for other stuff, that is entirely up to you and your priority list.

• Like 1

if you're ever in a position where 75 rounds isn't enough, you made some BAD decisions leading to that moment.

• Like 1

I'v pissed thru 75 rounds in seconds.... always have 2+, you never ever want to have to open inv and load up 75rounds in any potential hostile environment... always make sure you have that 2x2 space open as well or they dissappear when reloading.  SPRAY AND PRAY ! SPRAY AND PRAY !

Edited by Cptn_Miller
  • Like 2

I personally don't like the drum mags whatsoever. I prefer multiple 30rnd mags instead -- Ideally 3 of them.

Mainly because of the reduced dexterity & not having to worry about having that extra space in your bag when reloading.

Lol, I also had five drum mags once. Unfortunately I didn't get to fire a shot as I was shot in the back while picking flowers.

I personally don't like the drum mags whatsoever. I prefer multiple 30rnd mags instead -- Ideally 3 of them.

Mainly because of the reduced dexterity & not having to worry about having that extra space in your bag when reloading.

Oh did not know about the reduced dex... will have to check that out.

The most rounds I've ever had to fire in a single fight dayz with an AKM was 2 and a half 30 rnd mags, it was a long range suppression contest between me and 3 guys with SKS's and Blazes etc, fun moment all in all, felt like Arma 2

I also carried around several 75rnd drums and a rather large amount of CR 75 mags. Whilst giving suppressing or covering fire for buddies, I found I could go through quite a stack of ammo especially when caught up against multiple targets.

It all depends what you want to do and how much you want to carry, it comes down to the individual.

• Like 1

Not having to reload can be a deciding factor

I'v pissed thru 75 rounds in seconds.... always have 2+, you never ever want to have to open inv and load up 75rounds in any potential hostile environment... always make sure you have that 2x2 space open as well or they dissappear when reloading.  SPRAY AND PRAY ! SPRAY AND PRAY !

That happened to me on previous builds, but I just tested this on .49, not a single free slot in my inventory, swapped one drum mag for another, no problem. And to make sure they were actually swapped, I shot a few rounds out of one mag and left the other full. Reloaded, still no problem. The 'lighter' mag was now in my backpack, the full mag ready to go.

• Like 1

more pew pew for your pew pew. If you like that sort of thing

Not having to reload can be a deciding factor

That happened to me on previous builds, but I just tested this on .49, not a single free slot in my inventory, swapped one drum mag for another, no problem. And to make sure they were actually swapped, I shot a few rounds out of one mag and left the other full. Reloaded, still no problem. The 'lighter' mag was now in my backpack, the full mag ready to go.

good to know, iv been way too scared to attempt a reload of my 75 drum w/o the proper space as iv only been able to find 1 so far ... im basically in hermit mode till i can find more, then i will goto popular areas to murder... ah i mean meet .. people.  have several 30round mags as backup.

• Like 1

Well, try it with the small mags first then. Load one into your gun, fill up your inventory to the max, take a deep breath, and reload. 

And if the shit does go wrong, there's always Veresnik :P

sks all day ;)

I've been in shootouts where I was out numbered and only had 1 stripper clip. I still prevailed.

Edited by escobert
  • Like 1

sks all day ;)

I've been in shootouts where I was out numbered and only had 1 stripper clip. I still prevailed.

yeah the manual feed 10 round is pretty nice for that.

yeah the manual feed 10 round is pretty nice for that.

It is, and the stripper clips only take up one slot so you can have 3 stacks of 10 right there in a sweatshirt and throw the clip in each time you want to reload it or just throw the 10 stacks in if under fire. I also prefer the semi auto rate of fire when using it for zombies. I would always end up clicking too hard or whatever and getting 3 -5 shots bursts with the AKs.

Mainly because of the reduced dexterity...

What's this mean?

I carry three drum mags, and that's only because I gave my friend three of the six I was carrying. 

I know I'll never need them, and if I do need to reload 75 round drums three times then god help me. I guess I mostly carry them because it'd be a waste to get rid of them.

if you're ever in a position where 75 rounds isn't enough, you made some BAD decisions leading to that moment.

You never know when you'll run into a group of 10 players camping inside a jail building. :D

You never know when you'll run into a group of 10 players camping inside a jail building. :D

Than with one of those mags you have 7.5 bullets per player. 

Than with one of those mags you have 7.5 bullets per player. 

It's difficult to be precise when you're trying to out-aim 10 players at once. :D

• Like 1

Suppression and cover fire. However this probably wont be common as thats very amo intensive.

However I won't ever use an ak again unless they change it, its abysmal at hitting anything further then 50M.

It's difficult to be precise when you're trying to out-aim 10 players at once. :D

Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

What's this mean?

The amount of dexterity is how "heavy" your gun is in-game.

For example, you'll be able to move & turn more quickly with an AKM with a 30rnd mag as opposed to an AKM with a 75rnd drum mag, bipod, & PSO scope.

Having minimal dexterity is more essential in close quarters than it is in open terrain.

The more attachments you add to your gun, the heavier it becomes, basically.

Hope that makes sense.