kimmaz

Hard Contest - Do you get it? Guess the location.

Just a wild guess, is it the one north-east of chernogorsk at 077 113?

Close!

Edited by Grindstone

I am sorry, but it is not.... I have to look for the one you are mentioning though, thanks.

Excellent, that´s it! 

Dayzdb says 053040 to be precise (for someone who might want to check it out and have a quick bbq over there).

The small wood surrounding this place is nicely done as well, in my opinion. And close by there is a water pump near the house towards the airfield too.

If you've spent time in that general region (running, crawling, hiding in barns or behind trees) you probably already came across

The Aztec Rock

I wondered if anyone knew any DayZ mythology about it.. or what is it's function (apart from sacrifice and the usual.) It doesn't seem to be a graphics glitch.. as you can mabe tell from the image

This is a photo without humain entrails or the usual bandits heaped up with their bones broken waiting to die, etc..

So what is it, where is it ?? Why is it there ??

2eykpbp.jpg

xx pilgrim

Maybe its just a lighting effect from the sun like the tree on the top left? or am I missing something ^^

Bor.  http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#6.039.115

How about this infected pond?

That was a tough one, but I think I finally found your pond in Prigorodki (thanks to the help of kimmaz´s very good guess). The area is still infected with zeds... got my beautiful green raincoat ruined, but finally found a can opener on the way! 079119

Edited by Mostly Harmless
  • Like 1

If you've spent time in that general region (running, crawling, hiding in barns or behind trees) you probably already came across

The Aztec Rock

I wondered if anyone knew any DayZ mythology about it.. or what is it's function (apart from sacrifice and the usual.) It doesn't seem to be a graphics glitch.. as you can mabe tell from the image

This is a photo without humain entrails or the usual bandits heaped up with their bones broken waiting to die, etc..

xx pilgrim

Right now, from the scratch: I don´t have a clue where that is.

If I wouldn´t be around Cherno at the moment, I would start looking for it near Devil´s Castle (and steeper sloped wooden areas with a lot of open space behind the trees in that general region). But that could take a while. So I hope somebody else knows it...

Maybe its just a lighting effect from the sun like the tree on the top left? or am I missing something ^^

Yes, it is a big shadow around the rock, with just an triangular shaped opening for the light to pass through... I have to think about this one over lunch...

I think you must be right and it is an artefact. But I lightened up the image above to show it better, the original is here (below), you can see there is not much sun. Dark day.. This thing looked like it was painted or marked on the rock - I thought it was a glitch in the skin but that doesn't seem right either. Also It stayed in the same place without moving while I went away and came back later. There was no sunlight at first, then a little sun when I came back, then just cloud again, pretty dark, and it stayed as you see it in this pic. I tried moving around close in front of it to find a light source with no effect - but often you can cast your own shadow on one object but not (at all) on another., so thi doesn't prove antyhing. Just as I said, it stayed there through different daylight, sunlight, and heavy cloud wuth no shadows from any other objects.

35mgx2d.jpg

I guess it is a light artefact, but it looks SOO painted on the rock. And it had hard clear cut edges. Was definitely spooky. I will try to go back tomorrow and see if it is still there. Maybe I should light a fire against it, to see if there is a change.. but this is not a good place to light a fire..it's REALLY NOT far enought from the perimeter fence to do that kind of stuff.

Maybe this is only a case of  what happens to backwoods loners after they have been out there for too long, . I could have sworn I saw a Duck yesterday morning. Tried to photo it, but it ran through a chainlink fence and then through the corner of a shed before I could hit the button.. went outside to search (I had to go round, natch.. Im NOT a duck), and I SAW a goat appear out of the air right behind the next tree as I was looking at it..about 3 meters away from me

.. but never saw the duck again. It looked like a hen .. except for the beak, ya know ??..  Maybe I need to talk to somebody..?

OK - sorry about all this, ... I guess I'll just go hide in a bush again.. At least when I'm in my bush, the rabbits in the next bush don't count their ammo and drink cans of beer any more, like they used to.. but I kind of miss that too..

Or maybe after all this IS the Rock with the Mark of Death on it, showing the Entry to the UnderDayZ.. there must be one somewhere? All it needs is a ringbolt and a chain so you can handcuff folk to it.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

If nobody can find the answer to where it is, I guess its a free for all, as to who posts the next picture, I think that these types of pictures (of things like tree's/water/forest) is very hard to guess unless you have been there recently. I will go look for something to take picture of, and get more familiar to the map, so I got a chance at the future once :D I don't wanna guess correctly and then be out of pictures to use hehe

1. Where is this? (e.g. city name)

2. What rifle do I have in that picture? ^^

I broke this, i am sorry :(

Edited by Bakermensch

1, Where Is this?

2, What direction am I looking in?

MZCKgVh.jpg

That was a tough one, but I think I finally found your pond in Prigorodki (thanks to the help of kimmaz´s very good guess). The area is still infected with zeds... got my beautiful green raincoat ruined, but finally found a can opener on the way! 079119

Nailed it!

Edited by Grindstone

1, Where Is this?

2, What direction am I looking in?

Nice light effect!

My guess is: You are  1. on the road between Drozhino and Kozlovka and  2.  looking SEish towards Kozlovka (behind the trees somewhere).

Nailed it!

Thanks. That took me some time to find, but I finally have a good use for my 3rd person char in this contest... great!

Anybody knows

1. what corner of the map I´m in?  and

2. what kind of building would you see if I turned around?

2T66hAc.jpg

Bonus-question: Where is that road leading to? ("Rome" doesn´t count and don´t worry about it if you have never checked it out... ^_^ )

• Like 1

Nice light effect!

My guess is: You are  1. on the road between Drozhino and Kozlovka and  2.  looking SEish towards Kozlovka (behind the trees somewhere).

Thanks. That took me some time to find, but I finally have a good use for my 3rd person char in this contest... great!

Anybody knows

Bonus-question: Where is that road leading to? ("Rome" doesn´t count and don´t worry about it if you have never checked it out... ^_^ )

thx, It was going dark, so I used a blue chemlight. I noticed the terrain and the two bridges from the mod.

1. I'm gonna guess it looks like you are between kamenka and "the edge of the world/map" looking west (if you ignore the gas station).

2. Gonna guess there is a random shed or industrial shed of some kind along with the gas station, that would be natural ^^

• Like 1

thx, It was going dark, so I used a blue chemlight. I noticed the terrain and the two bridges from the mod.

1. I'm gonna guess it looks like you are between kamenka and "the edge of the world/map" looking west (if you ignore the gas station).

2. Gonna guess there is a random shed or industrial shed of some kind along with the gas station, that would be natural ^^

Yes, that´s the spot! There is a supermarket too, and the road is leading basically into "nowhereland"... correct!

Yes, that´s the spot! There is a supermarket too, and the road is leading basically into "nowhereland"... correct!

Forgot to mention that you was correct about my picture "1. on the road between Drozhino and Kozlovka and  2.  looking SEish towards Kozlovka"

I'll give you the turn.

Forgot to mention that you was correct about my picture "1. on the road between Drozhino and Kozlovka and  2.  looking SEish towards Kozlovka"

I'll give you the turn.

Oh boy, thanks, you almost got me unprepared, as I am following pilgrims hints about his "aztec rock" at the moment...

I hope it is not too specific, but I think almost everybody came across this place during his travels inland/or will in the future.

AsohJc3.jpg

• Like 2

Oh boy, thanks, you almost got me unprepared, as I am following pilgrims hints about his "aztec rock" at the moment...

I hope it is not too specific, but I think almost everybody came across this place during his travels inland/or will in the future.

Between Vybor and Pustoshka. I make my camp sites at the little scenic pond there all the time :)

Where are all these cows at?

SpURJNd.jpg

Edited by Grindstone

The Aztec Rock

2eykpbp.jpg

xx pilgrim

OK, I did some of the things you mentioned, especially running and hiding behind trees in the area where I think I´ve found The Aztec Rock.

As you mentioned "general area" and "perimeter fence" I give it a try and say the rock is in the "Bashnya" wood, just a touch N of the lonely prison building (around 040035). Close by is a feeding stand for the wildlife.

Unfortunately it never revealed its secrets to me (I guess I am not worthy yet...). So the best I could do was like that:

vboG9tx.jpg  

There are all kind of weird light effects inside the prison sometimes. Maybe that is/was true for its shadow outside as well sometimes. (Disregard please, the secret, if there is one, lies witin the wood...) I wish I would have seen it too though...

By the way: never ran into a duck out there, but the rabbits still give me the creeps, especially at night. Just imagine they look like the ones from "The Lone Ranger"... Oh no, I probably need some help too...definitely!

Between Vybor and Pustoshka. I make my camp sites at the little scenic pond there all the time :)

Perfect!

I like to log out in the corner on the "nose" sometimes. Gives me a (probably false) sense of security...

• Like 1

Nice light effect!

Anybody knows

2T66hAc.jpg

south west, Kamenka, turn round there is a store behind you, road leads to nowhere.

SpURJNd.jpg

Pustoshka (sp?)

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 1

south west, Kamenka, turn round there is a store behind you, road leads to nowhere.

All correct from my part. I think you have done some "shopping" there too... ;o)

...but kimmaz got the credit for this one already...

Pustoshka (sp?)

Yep. Most cows I ever saw in one place. Really tempted to unload my AK's drum :D

• Like 1

The Comissar Statue is to be found north of Komarovo at 037 120, unless they moved it or removed it.

I ran past it this weekend heading from Balota to the military base just NW of there. It still exists.

1. Where is this at? (city/town name)

2. What direction am I looking in?

JqBhLyP.jpg

Severs are down at the moment, so I give this one a shot: You are in (1) Staroye, looking (2) south.

That's my guess as well.